Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Wow! We're a real loving rear end in a top hat in this book!

Bring Todd with us poor kid's going to get eaten by a bear alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

we're an rear end in a top hat, so we need to be true to our character and ditch the dead weight

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Bring Todd to get his ultramarines back

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Wow! We're a real loving rear end in a top hat in this book!

Bring Todd with us poor kid's going to get eaten by a bear alone

Looking back, I think last time had the most tolerable main character and sidekick setup so far.

Yeah, Sam had no self preservation instincts whatsoever, but you could see that him and the lead were friends, and they both managed to have moments of competence at something.

It is sad that this is a high standard.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

God, you can really tell this was written before it was 'cool' to be a nerd. Anyway, let's take pity on the poor guy and bring Todd with us.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Ditch Todd if only to get spoon-fed a bad ending

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Nerd alert!

Honestly though, we must protect Todd at all costs. Bring him with us.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You can't help feeling sorry for Todd. You decide to take him to the campfire. "Maybe if those Murphy brothers see you crying, they'll feel sorry for you, too," you tell Todd.

"They are the meanest boys I've ever met," Todd wails. He takes a package of tissues out of his shorts pocket and blows his nose. Loud!

"Really, Todd!" you say. "You'll scare them with that honking more than they could ever scare you!"

"I just want my pewter collection back. It's my most precious possession." As soon as Todd says this, the faucets open again. He can't stop crying. "I can't go to the campfire," he sobs. "My sinuses are all clogged now. You'll have to face them alone, I guess."

"Alone?" you repeat, cheering up immediately. "Without you, Todd?"

"I'm sorry," Todd weeps. "I just don't feel like going to a party tonight."

"If you insist!" you say happily.

quote:

You leave Todd to cry alone at the cabin. "You stay here and unpack your stuff," you say to Todd. "I'll go to the campfire and get the box back for you."

You hurry out the cabin door. You head for the usual campfire spot at the south end of the beach. A giant fire is already blazing when you arrive. You see your friend, Lauren Woods. Her parents own WoodsWorld. She and the regular crowd of WoodsWorld kids are sitting around the fire listening to Sharky Murphy tell a creepy story.

"...remember the legend of the werewolves," Sharky is saying mysteriously. "At first you may think you are talking to a friend. Then, when the full moon comes out from behind a cloud, you'll see hair begin to grow on your friend's face. Fangs take the place of teeth. A voice that once was human turns to a beastly howl." Sharky pauses and lowers his voice to a whisper. "Look!" he says. "The full moon is out tonight. This is a perfect night for the werewolves of WoodsWorld to appear. No one is safe here. Not now. Not ever."

quote:

Sharky laughs an evil laugh as he finishes his story. The kids sitting around the campfire study each other's faces - searching for hair or maybe fangs.

As clouds cover the full moon, the campfire party breaks up. Everyone says good-night. Lauren Woods laughs as she calls to you, "Nighty-night, don't let the werewolves bite!"

"Did you ever see a werewolf, Sharky?" one of the younger kids asks before he leaves.

"Ha!" laughs Sharky. "My brothers and I saw plenty of werewolf tracks in the woods just before we came to this campfire. Isn't that right, Jess?"

"Yeah," the youngest Murphy brother says. "We saw the wolf tracks when we were burying that nerdy kid's box."

So, you think to yourself, they buried Todd's box. But where?

You promised to get the box back for Todd. But should you go out alone tonight when the moon is full?

If you decide to look for the box tonight, turn to PAGE 13.

If you decide to go back to the cabin, turn to PAGE 71.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
None yet

Achievements
None yet

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Go back to the cabin on the offchance that we can reunite with Todd, our best friend and possible soulmate.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
We told Todd we were getting that box and ain't no werewolf gonna scare us off! Look for it!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

At least it's clear consensus that, either way, we do it all for Todd.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Return to the cabin. Even discounting werewolves, it's not a good idea to be looking for a buried object in the dark.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

We've got a macguffin to find.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

There's no such thing as werewolves. Let's find the box!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Find the box!. The Pewter figures sound kind of nice actually, I wonder what they're of?

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

A promise is a promise. You promised Todd you would get his box back tonight. You decide you have to go into the woods. Alone.

"It's no big deal," you think to yourself. "I've been coming to WoodsWorld forever. I've never seen werewolves here before."

You follow the Murphys up a gravel path to the woods. You hope they will lead you to the box. The only problem is the Murphys are nowhere in sight. They have sprinted up the path in the darkness. You peer ahead, but see nothing.

The full moon is behind a cloud. Total darkness surrounds you like a thick blanket. The woods are silent tonight. Even the raccoons and other night creatures seem to have gone to bed already. Nothing is out here. "Nothing except me," you say softly to yourself.

HOW-OW-OW-OW-OWL!

You whirl around. What made that horrible noise?

You glance to your right. And then to your left. Nothing.

You continue along the path. The gravel crunches under your sneakers. And then you see it! A light flickering up ahead!

quote:

A candle burns in a jar next to a large boulder on the side of the path. As you hurry closer, a breeze makes the flame flicker. There's a note taped to the large rock.

You bend down and grab the note. Did someone leave this for you? You draw the candle close, squinting in the darkness to read the writing.

Wax drips, then hardens on the side of the jar, as you read the note aloud:

Note posted:

"The Werewolves of WoodsWorld
They love to see red,
So the box that was Todd's
Is now their box instead!
The Werewolves of WoodsWorld
Disappear at dawn,
So you must find the box
Before this night is gone!"

Werewolves? This must be a joke, you tell yourself. But you can't help gazing into the darkness. Searching. You hold your breath and listen.

Then you hear the crackling of twigs. Footsteps! You're not alone after all. Someone or something is out here with you!

quote:

Quickly, you duck down behind an old tree stump. You listen for the footsteps again. They're closer now. But in the darkness you can't tell exactly where they are coming from.

Your heart pounds like a jackhammer.

Footsteps.

Closer, closer, closer.

"AAAAaaahhhhhh!" you scream. A hand is on your shoulder! You're afraid to look!

"Hey, hey! What do you say?" Todd's voice breaks through your scream. "It's just me. I came out to find you. After all, it's my box and I should help you find it."

You can't believe this guy! He just scared you out of your wits! And he's still talking about that stupid box!

You catch your breath and try to slow your heartbeat down to normal. "Get a life, Todd!" you snap at him. "You shouldn't sneak up on me like that!"

"I just want to help find the box," Todd whines. "Look - I even brought a flashlight!"

You're glad it's Todd and not a werewolf. In fact, you're glad for any company on a night like this. "Follow me," you say.

"Which way?" Todd asks.

quote:

"This way," you answer. "Toward the two red lights." You lead the way through a wall of thorny bushes. "There should be a path to the beach around here somewhere," you say.

"Youch!" Todd cries. "These stupid thorns are scratching me all up."

"Better watch out you don't bleed too much," you joke. "You don't want those werewolves to catch the scent of fresh blood!"

Todd's knees tremble as the two of you push through the overgrown vines and shrubs.

"Are you sure this is the path?" Todd asks. "It's so dark out here. I can't see a thing!"

Before you can answer, you hear HOW-OW-OW-OWL! This time the terrifying noise is very, very close.

"Oh, no!" Todd whines.

What was that sound? You try not to panic - for Todd's sake. You flip on the flashlight switch. Darkness still surrounds you. You hit the flashlight on your hand. Once, twice. Still no light.

"Stupid batteries," you mumble. But even without light, you notice the ground under your feet changing from dry to slippery and very slimy. Where are you?

quote:

It's a cave!
"In all the summers I've been coming to WoodsWorld," you say to Todd, "I never knew there was a cave here. Let's check it out."

Then you hear a voice from somewhere deep in the cave. A voice calling your name.

You think the voice sounds like Sharky Murphy, but you can't be sure. "Hello?" you answer. You start to move forward into the deep black cave.

Todd tugs you back. "Don't go in," he warns.

Again the voice from inside calls your name.

You feel pulled by the voice and pulled by Todd at the same time. What's it going to be? Go in or stay out?

To answer the call of the cave, turn to PAGE 81.

If you'd feel safer listening to Todd and staying out of the cave, go to PAGE 37.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet

Achievements
None yet

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Listen to Todd since he's our only friend in this book so far, despite our insistence that he's lame, he's the only one who actually seems to want to be around us.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
If our protagonist didn't know there was a cave there, and he knew his way around in the dark, why was he walking towards a solid rock wall? That sounds awfully stupid.

To keep in character with said stupidity, I suggest going into the cave.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Listen to Todd, this is a true ending run of Night in Werewolf Woods and that means we have to keep Todd's approval rating maxed out.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
This hole was made for me.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

dont go in, Todd has probably already read this book and knows what choices to make to get the warhams back. Reading is for nerds and I distinctly remember there was a Nerd Alert at the beginning.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Listen to Todd.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Spelunk!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"All right, all right," you snap at Todd as he pulls you back from the mouth of the cave. "We won't go in the cave. But do you want your box back or not?"

"Of course I do," he says, still holding on to you. "But I think I'm allergic to caves. I feel kind of strange."

"Well, I feel kind of strange, too, with you holding on to me all the time!" You shake his hand off your arm and step back. Ooops! Instantly your feet sink into a thick, mucky goo that won't let go. Quicksand!

You're glued to the spot and sinking deeper and deeper.

"Hey, Todd," you cry. "Get me out of this, will you?"

But Todd isn't listening. He has his back turned. He is staring at a beam of light shining through a crack in the cave's ceiling. Todd gazes up and shouts, "I see the full moon!"

"Never mind the full moon, Todd," you beg him. "Please, pull me out of here!"

Todd does nothing. You quickly check and see that Todd isn't standing in quicksand. But he can't seem to move either. He stares motionless at the light of the full moon. Todd is in a trance!

quote:

As you sink deeper into the quicksand, you see Todd being transformed by the moonlight.

Hair grows on his face and hands. His teeth lengthen into wolflike fangs. He opens his mouth and lets out a bloodcurdling, hungry HOW-OW-OW-OWL!

"Todd!" you shout. "Turn your face away from the moonlight! Don't look at the full moon! It's a werewolf moon! Don't let it get you!"

You try one more time to pull your feet free. This time the quicksand's grip loosens! In one swift move you leap from the hole and throw yourself at Todd. The force of your body moves him out of the moon's light.

You hold Todd down. The beam of moonlight slowly disappears as a cloud passes over the full moon. As the light goes away, so do Todd's werewolf features.

"That's it!" you exclaim. "Now I understand what we have to do."

quote:

"Sharky was wrong when he said no one is safe here," you tell Todd. "I know what we have to do. There is one way to keep ourselves safe. The werewolf moon has no power over us as long as we stay out of its light!"

"You mean the light of the full moon is what started turning me into a werewolf?" Todd asks curiously.

"Exactly," you reply. "And if we stay out of the moonlight we'll be safe from werewolves. Do you get it?"

A low growl answers.

"Todd? Was that you?" you whisper.

quote:

Another low growl fills the cave.

Todd looks as surprised and afraid as you are.

"No," Todd says in answer to your question. "That wasn't me. Was it you?"

The growling sound is louder now. Louder and closer.

"No! It wasn't me!" you reply.

The full moon's beam suddenly breaks through the crack in the cave's ceiling. The cloud has passed by and the moonlight is as clear and bright as a Hollywood spotlight.

This time it is not shining on Todd's face.

It shines on another face. And another.

Two faces that are not quite human. Faces that are transforming before your very eyes into snarling, growling wolves. Werewolves, to be more exact. What should you do?

Your knowledge of the GOOSEBUMPS book The Werewolf of Fever Swamp will help you decide what to do.

What type of bird did the Werewolf of Fever Swamp rip apart?

If you think it was a cardinal, turn to PAGE 57.

If you think it was a heron, turn to PAGE 68.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet

Achievements
None yet

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

I, uh, didn't read that many Goosebumps books when I was a kid. Is that a cardinal sin?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't think cardinals live in swamps so I say heron.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Imma say cardinal.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

WrightOfWay posted:

I don't think cardinals live in swamps so I say heron.

:same:

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Gonna say heron. Though I have no clue how this is relevant to our situation beyond 'werewolves'.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

serefin99 posted:

Gonna say heron. Though I have no clue how this is relevant to our situation beyond 'werewolves'.

Remember how I said this book's ghostwriter had no idea what he was doing? Here's a prime example of that. Rather than actually work the obligatory Goosebumps quiz into the plot somehow, he just shoved it in with no in-universe justification. If you get it right (which we did), the plot continues as if nothing happened, save for some details that don't make sense on this run because we were "supposed' to go through the cave to get to this point. If you get it wrong, you're treated to arguably the most nonsensical bad ending in the book - and believe me, that's saying something.

quote:

"The werewolves!" Todd shouts. "Start howling!"

You grab Todd's shoulders and give him a good shake. "Snap out of it, Todd!" you order him.

"It's either howl or run," he insists. "And we don't know which way the werewolves are heading."

"There is one more choice, Todd," you reply. You point to a stream of light at the end of yet another tunnel. It looks as if it might be the way out. "There," you say.

"Oh, yeah, sure," Todd says nervously. "I already saw that tunnel. I also saw that giant hole in the floor between us and the way out. Just listen to this." Todd drops a loose stone into the hole. The two of you wait to hear it hit bottom.

It never does.

"A bottomless pit," Todd announces.

HOW-OW-OW-OW-OWL! This time the howling isn't coming from Todd. He's too busy talking about the pit.

"It's the werewolves," Todd whispers. "Start howling!"

"No, jump!" you shout.

If you howl to save yourself, turn to PAGE 33.

If you jump across the bottomless pit, leap to PAGE 111.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet

Achievements
None yet

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Aroo.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Let's howl into that good night.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
This place is the pits.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Rebonack7 posted:

If you get it wrong, you're treated to arguably the most nonsensical bad ending in the book - and believe me, that's saying something.

If we go through this book without coming across it, can you post that ending anyway? It sounds... interesting, we'll say.

Anywa, let's jump the shark! I mean, pit.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Well now that we know about it, we can gun straight for it.

We might even say it's a leap of logic.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"We have to jump across the pit," you insist. "It may be the only way out of this place."

"I can't do it," Todd whines. "You'll have to go first."

As soon as you hear the howling again, all your nervousness disappears. "Come on, Todd!" you cry. "The werewolves are getting closer."

Without another word, you back up a few steps and take a running leap. It is so dark you can't be sure if you're making it across the pit or not. All you know is you're flying through the air.

In seconds your feet land on solid ground. Dirt crumbles under your heels. You are half on, half off the edge of the pit.

"Whoooooa!" you cry, swaying back and forth over the open pit.

"Don't leave me!" Todd screams.

"I'm trying my best not to," you snap. You fall forward onto the ground in front of you. "Whew! That was a close - "

You can't finish this sentence because what you see standing behind Todd is making your mouth drop wide open.

quote:

"Werewolves! There are werewolves behind you!" you finally manage to scream. "Jump, Todd, jump!"

You fumble with the faulty flashlight. This time it goes on. You point the flickering beam past Todd's slug-slimed head. You aim for the eyes of the snarling beasts. Yes! It's working!

"The light is hypnotizing them!" you shout. "Hurry! Jump across!"

"Oohhhhhh!" Todd cries, as he glances back and finds himself eyeball-to-eyeball with the werewolves.

"Jump!" you yell. "JUMP!"

As the werewolves reach out for him, Todd jumps. You lean over the edge of the gaping pit and grab for Todd's outstretched hand. You stretch your own arm as far as you can, and...

If you catch Todd, turn to PAGE 80.

If you don't catch Todd, plunge to PAGE 61.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet

Achievements
None yet

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?
I think this is the first chance we've been given to just straight up murder someone. I need to know how this goes. We let Todd fall.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah I am pro-todd but I have to know if we're just going to murder this kid right now. Drop 'em.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

I told Siri to pick a number between 61 and 80. She chose 69.

Whoops, there he goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Accidents happen.