Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Don't worry guys, some guy says god is okay with trump sending a bit of the sun towards best korea

https://twitter.com/publicroad/status/895066260056281088

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Are... are people under the impression that North Korea is able to field an amount of nuclear ICBMs that rivals everything the USSR was able to put together?

I don't mean to downplay the threat too much but it hasn't gone that far.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Syrian Lannister posted:

Rolling stone reporting Glen Campbell dead at 81

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waNGoWV194c

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Are... are people under the impression that North Korea is able to field an amount of nuclear ICBMs that rivals everything the USSR was able to put together?

I think most people aren't so much worried about the North Koreans but the orange toddler who is continuing to aggravate the situation and potentially making things far worse.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 9, 2017

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I've been at work today and haven't had a chance to dig into the news about DPRK beyond the OMFG SKY IS FALLING tweets. Is there evidence that suggests that DPRK has miniaturized nuclear weapons on ICBMs and is capable of actually deploying them, or is this "North Korea has hypothetically figured out how to miniaturize a nuke and put it on one of their homebuilt ICBMs of unknown capability"?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It seems like NK has an icbm sized nuclear device but nothing else.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

suboptimal posted:

I've been at work today and haven't had a chance to dig into the news about DPRK beyond the OMFG SKY IS FALLING tweets. Is there evidence that suggests that DPRK has miniaturized nuclear weapons on ICBMs and is capable of actually deploying them, or is this "North Korea has hypothetically figured out how to miniaturize a nuke and put it on one of their homebuilt ICBMs of unknown capability"?
https://twitter.com/nktpnd/status/885684961302507521
The DIA agrees.

quote:

“The IC [intelligence community] assesses North Korea has produced nuclear weapons for ballistic missile delivery, to include delivery by ICBM-class missiles,” the assessment states, in an excerpt read to The Washington Post. Two U.S. officials familiar with the assessment verified its broad conclusions. It is not known whether the reclusive regime has successfully tested the smaller design, although North Korea officially claimed last year that it had done so.
“There is no reason to think that the North Koreans aren’t making the same progress after so many successful nuclear explosions,” Lewis said. “The big question is: Why do we hold the North Koreans to a different standard than we held [Joseph] Stalin’s Soviet Union or Mao Zedong’s China? North Korea is testing underground, so we’re always going to lack a lot of details. But it seems to me a lot of people are insisting on impossible levels of proof because they simply don’t want to accept what should be pretty obvious.”

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I hope they do try to pop off a nuke at Guam. I bet it doesn't hit within 30 miles.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

TBeats posted:

You probably shouldn't ignore the country with nukes if they say they want to use them.

I am picturing one of Kim's generals saying the same loving thing.

How many ICBMs under North Korean control is ok with you?

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 9, 2017

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Godholio posted:

To be fair. It doesn't matter how many you have. Its how many you can launch before your sites are erased and how many of those hit anything of value.

I wouldn't want to test either. But that is something to consider.

Also. Maddow bringing up Flynn's 2013 scare job that put us through the same scare, reminding us that this entire poo poo storm may not be true. Making solid points.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
How much weight should I put in this analysis? I mean it feels in line with what I thought I knew about the Norks but that was all pre-2017 worst timeline ever. And its imgur, not the best place to find quality analysis .

How powerful is North Korea's military? An in-depth analysis

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Huh...

https://twitter.com/PACAF/status/895062493361340416

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Oh so now the administration is listening to the IC

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

Nystral posted:

How much weight should I put in this analysis? I mean it feels in line with what I thought I knew about the Norks but that was all pre-2017 worst timeline ever. And its imgur, not the best place to find quality analysis .

How powerful is North Korea's military? An in-depth analysis

It's a high school student working from open source info. Not to say that it's bad, but some parts look a little optimistic to me. I'm rereading Victor Cha's book and it's a pretty sober assessment of the situation at least as of 2013.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Genocide Tendency posted:

To be fair. It doesn't matter how many you have. Its how many you can launch before your sites are erased and how many of those hit anything of value.

Is Seoul a target of value? Kadina? Yokuska? Tokyo?

We keep moving the goal posts, years ago North Korea revealed their capability with nuclear weapons, they're now showing that they can threaten the mainland US with them. Regionally they've been a credible threat for years.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Actually pretty normal. B-1s took over that particular job from B-52s last year I think.

B-1s don't carry nukes btw

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Actually pretty normal. B-1s took over that particular job from B-52s last year I think.

B-1s don't carry nukes btw

Yup. B-1Bs would need a Depot refit to carry again.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

0. The point is that with a few nukes NK cannot ensure MAD, and they aren't the USSR reborn. What's NK's economy look like without China blatantly opening up the floodgates of support?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 9, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

0. The point is that with a few nukes NK cannot ensure MAD, and they aren't the USSR reborn. What's NK's economy look like without China blatantly opening up the floodgates of support?

they don't have to chuck it at the US or a US-interest for it to be bad, hth

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Internet Wizard posted:

Rampant, unrestrained hypocrisy is about the only stable thing you can expect from this administration at this point. It's truly amazing. Orwell invented some amazing words about exactly this kind of stuff but I'm still not entirely convinced it wouldn't make him say, "poo poo dude, tone it down a bit" when he looked over the golden pissbaby's "there's a tweet for everything" history.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TBeats posted:

Its not happening. North Korea wants nukes for one reason only: To guarantee their borders.

They know lobbing it at anyone will only result in nukes in turn, Kim may be nuts, but his generals are probably aware that their stockpile is vastly outnumbered, and a single nuke would be all China needs as an excuse to overthrow them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TBeats posted:

Show me where I said it wasn't bad

CommieGIR posted:

Its not happening. North Korea wants nukes for one reason only: To guarantee their borders.

They know lobbing it at anyone will only result in nukes in turn, Kim may be nuts, but his generals are probably aware that their stockpile is vastly outnumbered, and a single nuke would be all China needs as an excuse to overthrow them.

Yes, this is where I'm coming from. I'm more responding to people (not here) acting like North Korea is about to unleash hell upon Small Town America, which is the kind of rhetoric that got us in this situation in the first place. The anecdote with the reporter posted earlier reminded me of some posts on reddit that raised my blood pressure, and I really should try to avoid reading that horrible site.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 9, 2017

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

CommieGIR posted:

What makes you think the guys who work for him are sane because they're generals?

Or let me edit that, not as batshit cray-cray as he is.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Mambold posted:

What makes you think the guys who work for him are sane because they're generals?

Or let me edit that, not as batshit cray-cray as he is.

Somebody in that organization has been a stabilizing force. North Korea doesn't need nuclear-equipped ICBMs to pose an immediate threat to the entirety of Japan and South Korea; they've maintained that capability for a while. Having those nukes gives them a greater bargaining chip but not if they actually use them.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Mueller and his Dream Team all left REALLY high-paying legal jobs.

Total salaries at random law firms: Mueller $3.4m, others $5.8m, $2m, $1.4m etc.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...0d7e_story.html

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

yeah. if you're wrong, that's one hell of a fuckup, so we should just go with "it's definitely not happening" and risk one hell of a fuckup.

e: and fwiw, i feel pretty much the same way about the current US administration having nukes.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 9, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

facialimpediment posted:

Total salaries at random law firms: Mueller $3.4m, others $5.8m, $2m, $1.4m etc.

the book deals they'll make will cover it

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

facialimpediment posted:

Like I said before, this is a once in a lifetime chance. If this really happens, they go down in law history and command even higher prices

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

MAD's not necessary to have a reasonably effective deterrent. China's only got 200-300 warheads total and a couple dozen ICBMs - granted, they're thermonuclear vs Hiroshima-style atomic warheads, and they're solid-fueled MIRVed missiles with all of China to hide in, but that's still a vast difference from the 1,000s to 10,000s of warheads that the US and Soviets/Russia fielded.

All you really need for a deterrent is to ensure that the potential cost to an attacker is high enough to remove military action from consideration. Having a good shot at getting a few Fat Man devices into the greater Seoul and Tokyo metro areas with MRBMs and lofted ICBMs would probably be enough to bring a normal Western leader to the table, but the whole rationale surrounding nukes breaks down when there are no rational actors in the room
:smugdon:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

No, Trump probably saw it on Fox News. This is a guy who wants a one page PDB with maps and graphics but also demands 50 pages daily of fawning press coverage and printed out tweets.

If there's one lesson to learn from the past 25 or so years, it's that you need a credible deterrent to keep the US from changing your regime. Saddam and Qaddafi learned that lesson the hardest way; DPRK has the threat of flooding Seoul first with artillery and then with brainwashed refugees. That they would develop a nuclear capability as the ultimate form of deterrence over the past two decades seems almost natural.

The deterrent value of nukes is pretty obvious in this case, but what could they hope to realistically compel through the threat of their use here?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Terrifying Effigies posted:

MAD's not necessary to have a reasonably effective deterrent. China's only got 200-300 warheads total and a couple dozen ICBMs - granted, they're thermonuclear vs Hiroshima-style atomic warheads, and they're solid-fueled MIRVed missiles with all of China to hide in, but that's still a vast difference from the 1,000s to 10,000s of warheads that the US and Soviets/Russia fielded.

All you really need for a deterrent is to ensure that the potential cost to an attacker is high enough to remove military action from consideration. Having a good shot at getting a few Fat Man devices into the greater Seoul and Tokyo metro areas with MRBMs and lofted ICBMs would probably be enough to bring a normal Western leader to the table, but the whole rationale surrounding nukes breaks down when there are no rational actors in the room
:smugdon:

so basically defcon irl

brains
May 12, 2004

suboptimal posted:

The deterrent value of nukes is pretty obvious in this case, but what could they hope to realistically compel through the threat of their use here?

for the US to back down on the rhetoric.

the big goddamn problem is, if there is one thing trump has consistently shown, it's his complete inability to avoid being goaded into brinkmanship.

we're literally at the mercy of whether or not Mattis and McMaster can talk him down or people like Bannon and Miller talk him up.

brains fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 9, 2017

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I don't think Bannon and Miller want a nuclear exchange either.

I mean I hope anyway.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

brains posted:

for the US to back down on the rhetoric.
and then everyone will want to get nukes because we will back down if they get them

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

cowboy elvis posted:

I mean I hope anyway.

Any time you want to evaluate domestic or foreign policy from either the Pus Elemental's or Forehead Words' point of view, you only need to ask yourself one question: will it kill more white or non-white people? If it kills more white people, it's bad. If it kills more non-white people, it's good.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

cowboy elvis posted:

I mean I hope anyway.

Bannon wants to rip a portal open to the evil dimension he comes from and flood the WH with boiling masses of void crabs. Nukes may allow him to do this.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

We must secure the existence of Joe Biden and a future for his camaro

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

TBeats posted:

and then everyone will want to get nukes because we will back down if they get them

post-WW2 foreign policy of the US and USSR/Russia already showed that the only way to survive is either get nukes or friends with nukes. That genie ain't being put back in the bottle.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Diamond Joe drives a corvette now.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/895081686681124864

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
You wouldn't think it'd be possible to get your tongue and your nose in someone's rear end in a top hat but here we are.

• Locked thread