Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The vertical fling from the Flingza Roller can kill them quite easily in one hit.

Everytime I tried doing that it did literally one damage. Eventually I just stopped bothering. No idea where you need to stand for it to actually do damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Also the timing on the Flingza is a bit long, so you're probably gonna have trouble taking down Steelheads with it.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I received the dorky headset for Splatoon, and after the weeks of buyer's remorse, it arrived, and it isn't completely useless. It comes with a long cable, which you can hide behind your TV and behind a desk. You can plug any headphones (and probably any 3.5mm jack headset) into the socket

I was on Discord tonight with some goons and was able to mix Splatoon audio with the audio from Discord on a pair of generic earbuds with relatively little clutter (while using the phone as a mic). You could plug any length of extension wire into it too, so you could hypothetically wire it up Dolby 5.1-style across the entire length of a living room to any corner of the room you can hide it

It mixed the audio quite well for calls. You don't have to use the Nintendo app, and you can use it for any application that requires mixing audio. So any game that lets you turn the BGM off can be played with other music or podcasts on your phone, with in-game SFX.

The headphones are tacky and stupid (for an adult), but the actual adapter is pretty nice, and if you're committed, can be set up relatively behind the scenes for voice comm in a way that doesn't poo poo up your living room

The chunkiest setup is actually playing in Handheld mode with the wires draped all over your screen and body. I don't think this is how it's meant to be used. The connectors should be tucked away behind your TV when not in use.

So it's alright. When used right, it does the job. For $32, you could do worse. You can probably use the generic Hori headset the same way.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Spellman posted:

I received the dorky headset for Splatoon, and after the weeks of buyer's remorse, it arrived, and it isn't completely useless. It comes with a long cable, which you can hide behind your TV and behind a desk. You can plug any headphones (and probably any 3.5mm jack headset) into the socket

I was on Discord tonight with some goons and was able to mix Splatoon audio with the audio from Discord on a pair of generic earbuds with relatively little clutter (while using the phone as a mic). You could plug any length of extension wire into it too, so you could hypothetically wire it up Dolby 5.1-style across the entire length of a living room to any corner of the room you can hide it

It mixed the audio quite well for calls. You don't have to use the Nintendo app, and you can use it for any application that requires mixing audio. So any game that lets you turn the BGM off can be played with other music or podcasts on your phone, with in-game SFX.

The headphones are tacky and stupid (for an adult), but the actual adapter is pretty nice, and if you're committed, can be set up relatively behind the scenes for voice comm in a way that doesn't poo poo up your living room

The chunkiest setup is actually playing in Handheld mode with the wires draped all over your screen and body. I don't think this is how it's meant to be used. The connectors should be tucked away behind your TV when not in use.

So it's alright. When used right, it does the job. For $32, you could do worse. You can probably use the generic Hori headset the same way.

Didn't read the post but good choice on podcasts ya oval office!

Spellman
May 31, 2011

enojy posted:

Didn't read the post but good choice on podcasts ya oval office!

You freckled gently caress

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Is Drop Roller any good? Just snagged a pair of Punk Blacks with them from SplatNet.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Millions posted:

Is Drop Roller any good? Just snagged a pair of Punk Blacks with them from SplatNet.

It's bad

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
It beats the hell out of stealth jump.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
idk how customizable private battles are, but it would be fun to turn on infinite super meter and have everybody run inkjet supers so you can play air superiority

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89TdCB5L-tE

EDIT: Chargers can shoot through teammates and enemies now. The video takes a bit to get to the point.

Score. My teammates blocking shots was a major annoyance in Splatoon 1.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 9, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God drat do I hate YouTube gaming hosts

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Escobarbarian posted:

I know.
I'm here for information not to be threatened by your perfect hair.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89TdCB5L-tE

Score. My teammates blocking shots was a major annoyance in Splatoon 1.

Ugh why does it take this guy nearly 2 minutes just to say "you can shoot through things"

I really miss when game information was all text. Now everything is a bloated video.

Escobarbarian posted:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Lol if the ridiculous amounts of clickbait didn't tip you off that the video was crap

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
I thoroughly enjoy waiting for at least 1/3 of the videos duration in order to get to the point.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Any video that starts with "Hey you guys" or something similar should just be deleted.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Lol if the ridiculous amounts of clickbait didn't tip you off that the video was crap

What?

Do you know what clickbait is? That doesn't make sense.

The Gorp posted:

Any video that starts with "Hey you guys" or something similar should just be deleted.

:agreed:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Escobarbarian posted:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oh my gosh you guys weren't kidding about the Tri-Slosher. I might opt for the Slosher instead though for the bit of extra range, and so my aim doesn't totally go to poo poo.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

enojy posted:

Oh my gosh you guys weren't kidding about the Tri-Slosher. I might opt for the Slosher instead though for the bit of extra range,

Yeah I have found it has drastically changed how I play the game, particularly in ranked when....

enojy posted:

and so my aim doesn't totally go to poo poo.

Heeeeey. :(

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

guess i'll keep waiting for a pair of black boots with a decent perk

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

R. Guyovich posted:

guess i'll keep waiting for a aviators with a decent perk

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
The aviators that everyone in the world is wearing have arguably the best perk in the game on them...

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Yeah I have found it has drastically changed how I play the game, particularly in ranked when....

Heeeeey. :(

Oh no, I didn't mean to insinuate anything like that! I'm just used to Splattershot Pro which has a very minimal spread and relatively slow fire rate, so aiming is of utmost importance. I don't wanna ditch it entirely, but will probably just save it for Turf War if I really warm up to the buckets in ranked.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Anidav posted:

gently caress the Trislosher and gently caress the people who use it. It's an overpowered mess that literally ruins ranked matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fO1YFLMNKo

I just don't know what they were thinking, it currently 2 hit kills under basically 90% of circumstances and it outranges the 52 GAL even though it really shouldnt while also having no RNG on the accuracy regardless of if you are moving or jumping.

Then they gave it Ink Armour so it's even harder to kill if you get the rare opportunity.

It is absolutely a good weapon, too good!

The thing that I find hilarious about that video is that if you shoot with the .52 gal and the tri-slosher at the same angle, the ink clearly goes further with the .52 gal (you can see it from the ink on the ground), but the tri-slosher mysteriously hits further away despite inking less distance - your shot is definitely going further than the ink and the animation show. Looks like a bug to me.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Bill Barber posted:

The aviators that everyone in the world is wearing have arguably the best perk in the game on them...

Not for ranked.
KO potential is so high in some modes that the ability does nothing.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

The Gorp posted:

Not for ranked.
KO potential is so high in some modes that the ability does nothing.
There's plenty of times where the opposing team pushes the Rainmaker or Tower within 30 at the very start of the match and then gets pushed back to mid almost immediately. At that point it becomes a full match boost and it's multiplicative which means your current boost chunks become twice as important.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I think you're confusing Opening Gambit with Last Ditch Effort.
The bonus the aviators and shades give only work in the last 30 seconds, not the opening 30 seconds.

edit:
Re-reading the post I don't think letting the enemy team getting you to 30 is that great.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bill Barber posted:

There's plenty of times where the opposing team pushes the Rainmaker or Tower within 30 at the very start of the match and then gets pushed back to mid almost immediately. At that point it becomes a full match boost and it's multiplicative which means your current boost chunks become twice as important.

I think they're talking about Last Ditch Effort, not Opening Gambit.

The Gorp posted:

The bonus the aviators and shades give only work in the last 30 seconds, not the opening 30 seconds.

I've seen multiple 18k gold aviators with different bonuses

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

The Gorp posted:

In ranked it activates when the opponent is within 30 points of the goal, and stays active permanently after that.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

The Gorp posted:

That's what I mean. In Rainmaker/TC the bonus kicks in once the opposing team reaches 30 on the map. Meaning if they push deep in your territory and you blow them back, the bonus is now active for the entirety of the match.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I didn't know it worked that way, but I would still rather just have a main-ability ink resist on them frankly.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The Gorp posted:

edit:
Re-reading the post I don't think letting the enemy team getting you to 30 is that great.

Deliberately trying to set off Last-Ditch Effort is a bad idea. But if the match happens to reach that point, and you can repel the enemy team's push, it can be a very nice buff for yourself.

Though it depends on how much you value your Ink. If you want to be able to launch more subs, use your weapon more, and recover ink faster, it's definitely a good perk. Though not all weapon types will actually want that.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
This salmon run weapon set seems pretty easy. Two ink-y close range weapons and two longer range guns makes for good team roles

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

bandaid.friend posted:

This salmon run weapon set seems pretty easy. Two ink-y close range weapons and two longer range guns makes for good team roles

it's boring as gently caress though

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bandaid.friend posted:

I'm just sad at how many people with the Roller just flick it at enemies. Roll, you fools! Roll to GLORY! :cripes:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

bandaid.friend posted:

i shouldn't have posted this i just hit a losing streak

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I've done worse with this set than any other, plus it's boring.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

bandaid.friend posted:

And yet I've only made it up to 100. Losing a lot of games, not sure why. Actually I do know why for some of them; loving steelheads. Had several games end with 3+ steelheads barfing bombs on our basket. In all those games I'm stuck with the roller and can't do a goddamn thing about them. The jet squelcher player really should be hunting down steelheads, they're a pretty easy kill for them once you get the hang of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

The thing that I find hilarious about that video is that if you shoot with the .52 gal and the tri-slosher at the same angle, the ink clearly goes further with the .52 gal (you can see it from the ink on the ground), but the tri-slosher mysteriously hits further away despite inking less distance - your shot is definitely going further than the ink and the animation show. Looks like a bug to me.

And the moment you get to B rank or A rank every team is running 1 to 2 trisloshers and has Ink armour up for basically a good half of the match.

Ink Armour needs to be removed from the game IMHO.