Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I can't complain. The axe almost ripping out NotTheEuphrates' heart in the beginning made me go WTF? but after that she (notice the pronoun) did pretty well. :cheeky:

Edit: also, bet leader with jon joe WHOO!

Fuubi fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Aug 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Round 1, Fight 3 :siren:

Morning Routine is on the left side of the arena.
The Shaver of Beards (Cythereal) is a male elf. He wields an iron halberd and wears no armor.
Bogroll (Maugrim) is a male goblin. He wields a steel great axe and wears a copper mail shirt, copper leggings, and copper high boots.
Thys Akimbo (grobbendonk) is a female minotaur. She is empty handed and wears an iron helm and an iron breast plate.
Game of Throwns (Cathode Raymond) is a male strangler. He wields two copper pilums and wears no armor.

Projectile Vomit is on the right side of the arena.
Mole Foley (Maarak) is a male molemarian. He is empty handed and wears a steel helm and a steel mail shirt.
Spermy Munki (Frozen_Flame) is a male dwarf. He wields a silver war hammer and wears an iron helm.
Buy Buy Buy! (Splode) is a male minotaur. He wields an iron spear and wears an iron mail shirt.
Thor the Warrior (Klokwurk) is a male human. He wields an iron throwing axe and wears leather leggings.

There is no betting favorite in this match, as exactly 2500.00 dwarfbucks were bet on each side!

You see that last line? I didn't edit that. Jazzimus' quality of life features are amazing. I wouldn't do fights on back-to-back days without this aid. Anyway, our fighters: Morning Routine has a strangler with a lot of javelins, two guys with big choppers, and a minotaur with nothing but armor. Projectile Vomit has one guy with an axe to throw (and another to grind) and... no other projectiles. A wrestlemolenia, a hammerdwarf, and a minotaur with a spear instead of a pilum. I had to glance at the skills to assure myself that was actually intended, but it does seem to be.

Off the projectiles go. Thrown's javelin goes wide, but Thor gives Shaver an interesting cut. Not very devastating. Bogroll and his axe counter with a cut to Foley. The minotaurs meet with a thunderous crash, but Thys is down a foot due to Thor. Shaver removes one of Foley's hands, then tries to cut off the other, but this time the molemarian contempuously grabs the halberd out of the air.

Thor is doing work. His axe strikes Bogroll, and he draws blood again. He's three for three! This guy knows how to use his weapons.

General mess has developed. So many melee fighters and no crippling injuries makes it hard to sort out who's winning... for an instant. That changes.

Munki swings his hammer around like a madman and hits a couple of foes. He might as well not have shown up, though. Buy cuts off one of Thys' ears. Foley is a star just now. He has successfully wrestled the halberd away from Shaver, grabbed Shaver by the neck, and used the halberd to knock aside an attack from Bogroll. What a monster. He follows up by tasting a little elf drumstick and then choking Shaver. Without some outside assistance, Shaver is going to die shortly.

I advance the laundry. What? Weekends are when I do chores. I return to continue advancing time.

Bogroll attempts to be Shaver's savior, but the confiscated halberd is too defensive, and the elf is brutally choked, bitten, and ripped apart, all at once. Shaver passes out. Time grows short.

Thrown's second javelin flies. Just as soon as it leaves his fingertips, Shaver dies. The javelin flies straight and true and hits directly on Thor's shin. Munki punches Thys square in the snout and breaks her nose. She complains about this. Bogroll capitalizes on Thor's injuries, and hacks at the injured human. Buy stabs Thys further. Thor is far from done. He chops off one of Bogroll's arms.

Thys surrenders to pain. Another spear thrust has proved more than she can handle. If only Thrown hadn't foolishly carried four javelins to the fight, she'd probably be in there, mixing it up and fighting shoulder-to-shoulder with her teammates, like the extremely productive Thor has been doing. Instead, she's only halfway through her quivers. Munki smashes flat Thys's skull, helmet and all.

Bogroll stands alone. Thor swipes at his knee. The knee collapses, and so does Bogroll. Buy puts iron through collarbone, and Bogroll loses his axe. He, um, responds by biting Buy in the mouth in an obscene abuse of a kiss. Foley takes a moment of reflection, then swings his halberd around like an executioner's weapon, and Bogroll is messily decapitated. Bogroll's severed arm falls to the floor a second later.

Four on one. Thrown is still trying to line up his third javelin. He throws it. It misses. He begins advancing. I guess that must have been his fourth one. I never saw the third at all.

Armed with two pila, Thrown does the clever thing and bites Buy. I guess team Morning Routine just love the taste of beef. Buy stabs back. A hand flies free. Both stab each other. The rest of team Projectile Vomit cloe in. Thrown stabs Munki, creating a messy thigh wound. Thrown stabs Foley in the gut, and the mole begins looking ill. Um. Is Thrown winning? He dances away, not letting them surround him. He stabs the mole again. Then again. Then again. And again. Oh my god. Morning Routine had one hell of an ace up their sleeve. Munki breaks the strangler's arm. The strangler is merciless towards Foley.

Foley bleeds out. One down, three to go. Thrown bounces off the ground. Before he bled out, Foley had grabbed and thrown the strangler, who lived up to his name as much as last fight's Hurly did.

The stunning impact seems to make the difference. When Buy approaches his time, the mninotaur deflects the attack at him, then scratches away one of the pila. Thrown has one left. Buy breaks his neck and skull with a single thrust.

Thor punches Thrown in the arm, as Thrown bleeds to death. Kill awarded to Thor!

Kills
Game of Throwns: 1
Mole Foley: 2
Spermy Munki: 1
Thor the Warrior: 1

Combat Log

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I... was not expecting Shaver's halberd to be stolen and used to dismantle the team.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

how many points does it cost for a double-edged sword?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Tunicate posted:

how many points does it cost for a double-edged sword?

As much as a second pilum

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Double edged like you are holding onto one blade and stabbing with another?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Ugh. Brutal.

Klokwurk
Sep 18, 2010

I'm completely bloody shit at this!

quote:

Thor the Warrior (Projectile Vomit) hacks Bogroll (Morning Routine) in the nose with his iron throwing axe and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Got your nose!

Was Thor crawling around for the 2/3rds of the fight after taking that javelin to the leg, or does the log just not mention standing up from a "falls over" or something?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Klokwurk posted:

Got your nose!

Was Thor crawling around for the 2/3rds of the fight after taking that javelin to the leg, or does the log just not mention standing up from a "falls over" or something?

Crawling around. That message meant that he no longer had the ability to stand up.

Thor was basically a perfect encapsulation of what I expected to see throwing axe users do. Hit once, immediately joined the melee, was effective in both areas, but not eclipsingly so.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Cythereal posted:

I... was not expecting Shaver's halberd to be stolen and used to dismantle the team.

With zero weapon skill too!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Something is wrong with my graphics pack. Someone smarter than me will fix it. The tigermen are giant T's for now.

:siren: Round 1, Fight 4 :siren:

The Windy Whirly Farters is on the left side of the arena.
Hacksy Axy (Gnoman) is a male dwarf. He wields a bronze throwing axe and wears a bronze helm and a bronze breast plate.
Fartley Buttockchum (fallingdownjoe) is a male molemarian. He wields an iron maul and wears an iron mail shirt.
Windybold (pantherrpg) is a male kobold. He wields an iron pilum and wears no armor.
Whirl Dwarf One (Afriscipio) is a female dwarf. She wields a silver flail and wears an iron mail shirt.

Big Trouble is on the right side of the arena.
A copper hammer wielding dwarf (Bad Munki) is a female tigerman. She wields an iron pilum and wears an iron cap and an iron mail shirt.
Chuck (Mygna) is a male minotaur. He wields a bronze pilum and wears no armor.
Captain Jodariel (dmboogie) is a female troll. She wields a copper two-handed sword and a silver two-handed sword and wears a silver helm.
Meteor Spin (I R SMART LIKE ROCK) is a female tigerman. She wields an iron great axe and wears no armor.

The Windy Whirly Farters is a 1.25 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 3450.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 2750.00 dwarfbucks for Big Trouble.

Size advantage goes to Big Trouble, but little dudes and skill win through a lot so we'll see how this shakes out.

We start with four thrown objects. Three pilums and 1 throwing axe arc through the air.

Windybold's pilum and Chuck's pilum apparently collide in midair and clatter to the ground uselessly.

Hacksy on the top left dodges his incoming object, but Copper Hammer Dwarf is too dumb just like her owner and just lets her armor absorb it.

The melee fighters meet in the center of the ring. Meteor Spin hacks open Whirl Dwarf One's hand and then spins with no hesitation and Hacksy's left leg falls off. That's one deadly tigergirl.

The dumb tiger (Copper Hammer Dwarf) launches another pilum and then follows it into battle. The javelin lands with some accuracy and Fartly's forearm is pierced.

Now begin the dodges and parries.

Another volley of thrown weapons pass by uselessly and now Windybold and Chuck advance into the melee.

Hacksy is being torn apart by Captain Jodariel's huge sword and Meteor's deadly axe. Hacksy lashes out with a foot and collapses Jodariel's ankle, grounding the huge troll.

Windybold spears Meteor in the upper arm, but pierces nothing important. Meteor advances on the new threat and uses the haft of her axe to shatter Windybolds right shin. Down goes the kobold.

Farty the moleman was charged into the dirt, but otherwise ignored other than to have his attacks contemptuously batted away.

Windybold is getting the worse of his battle with Meteor. An arm goes flying.

Whirl Dwarf One's flail bounces uselessly off of Copper Hammer Dwarf's armor while three gladiators continue mutilating Hacksy.

Surprisingly Hacksy isn't the first casualty. One for Meteor Spin.

Moments later Hacksy succumbs to Chucks javelin.

Whirl Dwarf One gains the attention of two gladiators. A dwarf ear is exploded. A hand goes flying. Meteor follows up with removing a dwarven head.

Chuck and Copper Hammer Dwarf team up on the moleman Fartly. Liver is bruised, a foot is nearly severed...

Things just aren't going very good for The Windy Whirly Farters.

Three gladiators charge Fartly and one troll crawls in the general direction.

Meteor continues removing things, this time a hand, while everyone else bruises lungs, muscles, and guts.

Copper Hammer Dwarf grounds the moleman with a spear through his foot.

A bit more mutilation and Chuck ends it.

Big Trouble wins with a pretty lopsided 4-0 victory.

Kills:
Meteor Spin: 2
Chuck: 2

Combat Log

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 7, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
All big guys looks pretty solid.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Violent and bloody, just how I like 'em

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yesssssss, with my picks fighting at a consistent level, I am now the highest ranked bettor!

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
Throwing weapons make for an interesting team dynamic, it changes how many fighters arrive to the first brawl. Unless you have things balanced well (or aim true with those projectiles) your front line can be outnumbered while the others hang back throwing their remaining ammunition.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Guess I should have bought leg armor.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Gnoman posted:

Guess I should have bought leg armor.

hell, same

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
So far, throwing weapons seem to have the same flaws as bows. It'll be interesting to see how many actually decisive hits we'll see in the tourney, and if it's possible to get any of those with a build that doesn't cripple the fighters melee skills.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I am perfectly happy with these results.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Bad Munki posted:

I am perfectly happy with these results.

The system has failed us.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Spermy Smurf posted:

Something is wrong with my graphics pack. Someone smarter than me will fix it. The tigermen are giant T's for now.

:siren: ATTENTION COMMISSIONERS: HERE IS AN UPDATED MODPACK WITH THE FIX FOR THE TIGERMAN GRAPHICS BUG :siren:

https://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/df_43_05_arena.zip

Or to fix the problem yourself without re-downloading the whole modpack, just edit the file raw/graphics/graphics_critters.txt

and change the line
pre:
[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:TIGERMAN]
to
pre:
[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:TIGER_MAN]
Apparently Toady added an underscore to the tigerman master creature tag sometime between this version and the last, and I didn't notice it.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Apparently Toady added an underscore to the tigerman master creature tag sometime between this version and the last, and I didn't notice it.

I figured it was something like that, but I hadn't worked out the details yet.

Incidentally, it would be of great help to me if about eight of you would bet a thousand on Feels A Bit Chilly and then whoever runs it makes sure Arm Reduction wins.

It's for a good cause, you see. I'll figure out what good cause afterward.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Where's the last fight!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Oh yeah I knew I was forgetting something today.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

Oh yeah I knew I was forgetting something today.

Playing more Warband?

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Hmm, this result does not bode well for our team's prospects.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I am about 8 hours from my home state right now. Probably wont get to the fight until tomorrow afternoon unless one of the other guys wants to run it.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Don't sweat it, the pace has been solid

Real talk tho, I'm going camping for the Solar Eclipse and will be out of cell service range for about a week. Can I designate someone on my team to allocate points for me or do I forfeit updating my fighter by missing the round start cutoff? Also if anyone tried to get a hold of me I obviously wouldn't be able to respond. So really I want to make sure I don't get dropped from the tournament

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 9, 2017

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Don't sweat it, the pace has been solid

Real talk tho, I'm going camping for the Solar Eclipse and will be out of cell service range for about a week. Can I designate someone on my team to allocate points for me or do I forfeit updating my fighter by missing the round start cutoff? Also if anyone tried to get a hold of me I obviously wouldn't be able to respond. So really I want to make sure I don't get dropped from the tournament

PM me what you want to do with your points and I'll handle it.

Oh, by the way everyone, I forgot to mention you get a few bonus participation points for these first few rounds. It's about double what we used to give for regular-season bonus participation points, so you might actually be able to buy something with them this time around.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I forgot my pw again

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

verbal enema posted:

I forgot my pw again

Check PM or e-mail

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Thanks

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
READY TO SMASH SOME ANT NERDS with my hammer

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren: Round 1, Fight 1 :siren:

Arm Reduction is on the left side of the arena.
Werepupper (synthorange) is a female werewolf. She wields a bronze pilum and wears no armor.
THROW to meet you! (Tunicate) is a female serpent man. She is empty handed and wears a bronze helm, a bronze mail shirt, and leather high boots.
Arms Race (my dad) is a female soldier ant woman. She wields two copper throwing axes and wears no armor.
Fourwarned Is (ZeeToo) is a female soldier ant woman. She wields two wooden shields and an iron throwing axe and wears a copper mail shirt.

Feels A Bit Chilly is on the right side of the arena.
Bowbold the Bold (Dance Officer) is a male dwarf. He wields an iron crossbow and wears no armor.
Naked Snake (astus) is a male serpent man. He wields an iron large dagger and wears no armor.
Polybolos in Strangler Camo (AJ_Impy) is a male strangler. He wields two iron pilums and wears no armor.
Fourlearned Is (Coward) is a female molemarian. She wields a copper spear and a wooden shield and wears no armor.

Feels A Bit Chilly is a 1.05 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 5050.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 4800.00 dwarfbucks for Arm Reduction.

So we've got a battle of nudists here I think. 6 out of 8 of the gladiators are bareass naked. If you squint real hard you can tell that Polybolos must be absolutely freezing. Also we have a crossbow dwarf for the first time in like 4 tournaments.

Five projectiles fly across the arena floor.

Bowbold the dwarf in the top right gets absolutely destroyed by all three projectiles. Team Arm Reduction scored a perfect trifecta on this and the fight is basically over before it even began. Unreal. Bowbold is now laying on the floor in a pile of his own guts scrambling to stuff them back in his stomach.

Two gladiators from each team charge to the center of the arena.

But what's this? Team Feels A Bit Chilly arrives with a vengeance. Naked Snake slashes Throw's arm off while his moleman companion Fourlearned stabs Fourwarned in the leg sending the antwoman to the floor. Nice naming there guys, I enjoyed it.

Bowbold gets his guts mostly put away where they belong and he reloads with trembling hands. The balls on this guy are huge. You can tell because he's not wearing pants. Three projectiles launch. Polybola bruises Throw's arm and one is blocked by Fourlearned. The other projectile misses completely.

Naked Snake gets serpent venom injected into him, but what the hell does he care? Fourlearned hafts Fourwarned's other foot and the antwoman sprays ichor everywhere from the crushed limb.

Arms Race rushes into the fray following her missed throw.

Despite it being a 3v2 in the center of the arena Throw and Fourwarned continue to get pounded on. Werepupper throws his last javelin which is blocked by Fourlearned. The werewolf charges into the fray.

Werepupper lures the deadly Fourlearned to the south while Polybolos charges the antwomen to help her Naked Snake teammate.

Werepupper removes a moleman hand, and it happened to be the one holding the spear. Now Fourlearned is in some trouble!

Bowbold the dwarf is pale and shaking from blood loss. An iron bolt is slipped into the crossbow. Aim. Fire.... Direct hit! The bolt slams into Werepuppers lower body, pincushioning his spleen! Fourlearned has some backup it seems!

Well that was absolutely useless. Good job Polybolos. You barely even got into the fight and decide to get paralyzed.

Bowbold smiles as Fourlearned takes advantage of the howling werewolf and sends Werepupper stumbling backwards. Then Bowbold expires. That's a kill for Werepupper.

Naked Snake has been taking an absolute beating, but he's been giving as good as he got to the three gladiators arranged against him. Luckily Polybolos' prone form is there to take some punishment. A slash from the iron dagger in his hand and Throw's tail is cut off. Aren't serpentmen like 90% tail? Shouldn't he be dead?

Oh. I hadn't advanced the fight by one frame. My mistake. And now it's an enranged (no longer paralyzed) Polybolos and Naked Snake against two antwomen. Polybolos is down and out from the injuries he sustained from being shaken by Throw, so he's giving just moral support at this time. He can still blink though, and eyelids are coded into the arena, so maybe he can perform some kind of wrestling takedown with his eyelids.

Down below the two heavyweights are in a slugfest. Everyone is broken, bruised, and bleeding heavily.

Thanks for your contribution, Polybolos.

And now it's Naked Snake against two antwomen all by himself. He's more mobile than one of the antwomen who was floored, so he's at least got that on his side. All 3 fighters are pale from blood/ichor loss.

Werepupper is in the yellow box, Fourlearned is in the blue box. Like I said, it's a slugfest down there.

Naked Snake is using his ability to move to his advantage. He presses Arms Race backwards with a flurry of knifework, distancing himself from the grounded Fourwarned.

A thud, a grunt, a huge body hits the floor. Well, not really. Werepupper's head is still deep inside the molemans mouth at this point. He spits him out in a second though, so just let me have my artistic leeway.

Arms Race dodges backwards, lacerated and missing limbs. The dodge was too much and the antwoman expires.

Fourwarned crawls to within striking distance of Naked Snake and then follows suit.

But where the hell did the body go?

What, it's so mutilated it doesn't even count as a body?

Naked Snake begins moving south to help Forelearned finish off the unconscious werewolf. What the hell is taking him so long?

Oh. How did I miss that? So Naked Snake crawls forward a little bit, reached behind him and pulls his trailing guts closer, then crawls forward a little more. Repeat. This snake is insane, or maybe he's paying homage to the late Bowbold who did much of the same sort of thing.

Naked Snake arrives and daggers Werepupper.

Feels A Bit Chilly pulls off an amazing 4-2 victory. What a great fight.

Kills:

Naked Snake: 4

Arms Race: 1
Werepupper: 1

Combat Log

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Update your fighters:siren:

I dont know if anyone has points, but go ahead and update if you want.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
:getin:

If you can't deal damage, soak damage.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Found this thread the other day, and I've been :allears: the entire time I've been reading it.

I'm just happy I can participate by betting. :v:

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
...uh, I did not expect any of that. That was an extremely gruesome match, which makes it even weirder that the team with no armor won.

RIP Bowbold, we salute you for your determination.

(Also rip my fighter's guts what the gently caress Naked Snake?)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
What a massacre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Astus posted:

...uh, I did not expect any of that. That was an extremely gruesome match, which makes it even weirder that the team with no armor won.

yeah I was honestly expecting a serpentwoman to do well against an unarmored, gnome-free team, but I only got one paralysis total