Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Wait what shits done now? Did ol Kremlin Joe Glass Pyramid let fly the nukes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/895007616291799040

Good god, he looks like a pouty child who's trying to get attention.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm way more worried about the secondary effects of North Korea obtaining nuclear weapons than I am of them actually using them. They've effectively had the benefits of MAD as long as they've been able to blow up Seoul, this will just formalize it.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

Friendly reminder: the worst part of hurricane season has yet to hit the US.

I sincerely hope goons in the south/eastern US have supplies stockpiled and plans in case of a bad hurricane followed by inept state/federal response.

The next two months or so are the worst for hurricanes. Has Trump appointed a FEMA or NOAA director yet?

Lately there have been a worryingly large number of articles explaining how poorly prepared most parts of the southeast US are for a hurricane, and various parts of Florida and Louisiana have been flooding in recent weeks. Every year Americans are taking a huge gamble.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Hello my American friends, here's a cheery uplifting song for you all in these dangerous, potentially nuclear times

Thanks & god bless

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Random thought; do americans use the word Quisling? What would a good future definition of Trumpish sound like?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

I am glad we settled that.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Random thought; do americans use the word Quisling? What would a good future definition of Trumpish sound like?

I'm not American but I believe Benedict Arnold is widely used along the same lines.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Jack's Flow posted:

God really is the ultimate mafia boss when you think about it.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Random thought; do americans use the word Quisling?
Not that I've ever heard.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

It's a word that some people would know but the vast majority wouldn't. The Benedict Arnold analogy is much better-known but not quite the same.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

...you don't know, do you

this was in 1995. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_rocket_incident
Just because the russians pick up the phone when you call them, doesn't mean that they actually believe what they hear. They might. They have shown too often that they don't.

Agreed. Reminder that Pyongyang is withing 500 miles of both the Chinese capital of Beijing to the west and Russia's main Pacific port Vladivostok to the east. A ICBM fired from the US or a sub in the Pacific at Pyongyang is going to be indistinguishable from one fired at either of those two cities until very late in its flight. So you have to ask yourself even if there are clear lines of communication, how paranoid are the Chinese and Russians?

Flip it around. If Russia called us up on the big red phone and told us they were nuking Tijuana in 30 minutes, so don't worry about those incoming missles that look exactly like ones targeted at the military bases in San Diego, how do you think we would react?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

mkultra419 posted:

Agreed. Reminder that Pyongyang is withing 500 miles of both the Chinese capital of Beijing to the west and Russia's main Pacific port Vladivostok to the east. A ICBM fired from the US or a sub in the Pacific at Pyongyang is going to be indistinguishable from one fired at either of those two cities until very late in its flight. So you have to ask yourself even if there are clear lines of communication, how paranoid are the Chinese and Russians?

Flip it around. If Russia called us up on the big red phone and told us they were nuking Tijuana in 30 minutes, so don't worry about those incoming missles that look exactly like ones targeted at the military bases in San Diego, how do you think we would react?

I imagine most American administrations would be mad if Russia decided to nuke an ally for no reason, not sure about this one tho

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Edit:nvm

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 9, 2017

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mkultra419 posted:

China would be like "gently caress yes no 20M refugees!"

Russia... Russia will release the piss tape.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Pellisworth posted:

Friendly reminder: the worst part of hurricane season has yet to hit the US.

I sincerely hope goons in the south/eastern US have supplies stockpiled and plans in case of a bad hurricane followed by inept state/federal response.

The next two months or so are the worst for hurricanes. Has Trump appointed a FEMA or NOAA director yet?

No head of NOAA yet. Rumors is that it'll be the founder of AccuWeather...

NOAA can run fine without a head. The NWS has had the same director for several years now. However, we are at a 15% staff shortage due to budget fuckery the last five years.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Jack's Flow posted:

That's funny, I just talked to him and he doesn't like war nor assassination in the slightest.

SirPablo posted:

No head of NOAA yet. Rumors is that it'll be the founder of AccuWeather...

NOAA can run fine without a head. The NWS has had the same director for several years now. However, we are at a 15% staff shortage due to budget fuckery the last five years.

A lot of red state territory is going to get hit and not even blink about not using another opportunity to declare open season on "looters".

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Well I"m awake now and we're not all dead.

This is bullshit.

edit: And Valve finally came out with a new game, and it's a card game? Man, gently caress Wednesday.

Crain fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 9, 2017

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Looks like Trump is going after RIN...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/895091395379245056?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

https://twitter.com/patriot17761980/status/894930884389949440

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Crain posted:

Well I"m awake now and we're not all dead.

This is bullshit.

edit: And Valve finally came out with a new game, and it's a card game? Man, gently caress Wednesday.

Not just that but it's themed around DOTA. :negative:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I would not want to be endorsed by Trump if I was running for office.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Radish posted:

Worst. Timeline.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

I am sick as gently caress of seeing that goddamn snake on every third loving license plate on all the southern minivans and truck variations I come into contact with every day. The limp-wrist strong arming doesn't even work because the snake's being squashed by the registration numbers or some dumb catchphrase!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

mkultra419 posted:

Why would it matter? It's not like we can do anything to save San Diego in this situation, and we can retaliate just as effectively after the bomb hits. Absent a full scale first strike on a significant portion of our nuclear assets, why would we rush to judgement?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Radish posted:

It actually sounds pretty cool though :unsmith:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Invalid Validation posted:

I would not want to be endorsed by Trump if I was running for office.

Alabama is one of the few places where it's probably good to have.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Crabtree posted:

I am sick as gently caress of seeing that goddamn snake on every third loving license plate on all the southern minivans and truck variations I come into contact with every day. The limp-wrist strong arming doesn't even work because the snake's being squashed by the registration numbers or some dumb catchphrase!

"How could you do this to me?" she cried. "You promised that you would not bite me, and I trusted you!"

"DON'T THREAD ON ME" he hissed as he slithered away.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Gyges posted:

Alabama is one of the few places where it's probably good to have.

Not until he mends fences with the state's spirit animal, Jefferson Sessions.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PerniciousKnid posted:

Why would it matter? It's not like we can do anything to save San Diego in this situation, and we can retaliate just as effectively after the bomb hits. Absent a full scale first strike on a significant portion of our nuclear assets, why would we rush to judgement?

Because nuclear policy is to go stab crazy from hell's heart. You detect a launch, you launch so that you can't be stopped from launching. Also it's all intentionally set up to be an automatic insane orgy of horror so terrifying that not even the crazy would think it worth poking that bear.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Gentlemen, start your engines

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Kekekela posted:

Gentlemen, start your engines

:jerkbag:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Ah yes, internet connected missiles that can be redirected by any hacker worth their cyber salt! That's what was missing from the several hundred nuclear arsenal that could destroy the world about 50 times over from making America truly feared!

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
6 months to renovate and modernize the entire nuclear arsenal? That's pretty impressive.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Crabtree posted:

Beats seeing that traitor Confederate flag in loving Idaho. Them and 3%ers get the Vandal I from me.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
The conclusion to Trump's nuclear tweet:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/895254168570605568

I think I'd like a bot that just inserts random hurrs in his statements.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

PerniciousKnid posted:

Why would it matter? It's not like we can do anything to save San Diego in this situation, and we can retaliate just as effectively after the bomb hits.

I'm sure San Diego will be happy to hear that level of concern for their well being, along with the rest of the US downwind of Tijuana even if that is the real target (much like Vladivostok is downwind of Pyongyang).

PerniciousKnid posted:

Absent a full scale first strike on a significant portion of our nuclear assets, why would we rush to judgement?

Even a sane, stable, cool tactician would be under tremendous pressure to respond immediately before the opponent has time to make any followup launches for the usual MAD 101 reasons. And right now we have a president that is like the living personification of rushing to judgement.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

poo poo now he jinxed us.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kekekela posted:

Countdown until someone finds a 2013 tweet where he says we aren't the most powerful nation anymore.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

Beats seeing that traitor Confederate flag in loving Idaho. Them and 3%ers get the Vandal I from me.

I don't know what it's like to fetishize a flag but it's real creepy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Kekekela posted:

Is this Trump trying to dial it back a little bit? At least this doesn't look like a direct threat, I guess

• Locked thread