Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Jurgan posted:

I know of one book where a king murders a bunch of babies, and a couple chapters later Satan himself tells the protagonist he could gain power by worshipping him. And this book is available in every major library.

If it helps, the majority of these people don't actually bother to read the Bible, they just let their leaders pick passages and tell them what to think about them.

For the people that do read it, remember that the problem is the struggle between The World and God; the Bible is the Word of God, and therefore can contain whatever and it's still fine, because God. Nothing is good or bad in itself, it's all to do with where it came from, which is why people who behave in a manner along the lines of what Christ actually encouraged can still be sinners going to Hell, because they don't do the right church things and therefore are secretly influenced by Satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

This is a long loving way to go for a Fountains of Wayne joke.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also the book in question is a YA novel about overcoming prejudice, which has been smeared by people quoting racist characters saying racist things as if that's the message.

The whole story is some social media idiocy
http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/the-toxic-drama-of-ya-twitter.html

That review they linked recaps the whole book with quotes and page numbers and stuff, and parts of it sound kind of amazing. Toward the end of the book the character is walking around dressed in a fantasy Nazi youth getup to "blend in" now that the fantasy Nazis are taking over and she keeps getting all mad at her POC friends for questioning her on it, because she thinks she's all woke and poo poo now, even though she's still being pretty racist. It's like at no point did the reviewer question that maybe the reader isn't supposed to agree with the main character.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also the book in question is a YA novel about overcoming prejudice, which has been smeared by people quoting racist characters saying racist things as if that's the message.

The whole story is some social media idiocy
http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/the-toxic-drama-of-ya-twitter.html

I hadn't heard of that book until now but I suddenly want to read/listen to it just out of spite. Burn the internet to the ground.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like the full circle of white people calling out prejudice in a really self congratulating way, just to have more white people call them out for it in a really self congratulating way.

E: Also, I'm white so there's an extra layer for you. We are all loving terrible.

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 06:49 on Aug 9, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Well thanks all for clarifying what mansplaining is. This whole time I was mildly confused how were supposed to be a dude and explain something on the internet without being condescending through a medium where tone is largely impossible to discern.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

RareAcumen posted:

Well thanks all for clarifying what mansplaining is. This whole time I was mildly confused how were supposed to be a dude and explain something on the internet without being condescending through a medium where tone is largely impossible to discern.

Well, actually

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Stories were the main character is not supposed to be the good guy are always risky because there's going to be a part of the audience that just will not get it.

RareAcumen posted:

You're welcome :wink:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Fathis Munk posted:

Stories were the main character is not supposed to be the good guy are always risky because there's going to be a part of the audience that just will not get it.

Classic example: A Clockwork Orange

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Fathis Munk posted:

You mean the protagonist? Darth Vader is the main character of the original trilogy, and he's pretty unambiguously not a good person.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Or Fight Club. I once saw a guy on Facebook talk about how great getting into the local right wing scene was, like you were in on something most people weren't and strangers would give you discreet nods in the street and it "felt like in Fight Club", and I was like "uuuuhkay I guess someone missed the part where the camaraderie and all that was the actual precursor to literal called-by-name domestic terrorism."

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
the terrorism in Fight Club was justified though

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
the weirdest part about A Clockwork Orange fandom is that every Halloween you see some females dressed up as droogs

do they not realize they're glorifying rape?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Ein cooler Typ posted:

the weirdest part about A Clockwork Orange fandom is that every Halloween you see some females dressed up as droogs

Feeeemales

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ein cooler Typ posted:

coole typen sagen women statt female

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

You mean the protagonist? Darth Vader is the main character of the original trilogy, and he's pretty unambiguously not a good person.

I'm not sure I'm following, is there a distinction between main character and protagonist? I figured they are pretty much interchangeable.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Goa Tse-tung posted:

coole typen sagen women statt female

ich bin wirklich kein cooler typ :(

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fathis Munk posted:

I'm not sure I'm following, is there a distinction between main character and protagonist? I figured they are pretty much interchangeable.

What about Fu Manchu novels? Or Frankenstein? (I don't have answers I'm just asking :shrug:)

Or Dracula.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Fathis Munk posted:

Story centers around the main character, but the protagonist is the person we follow who does things. They're usually the same, but not always. Anakin was both, but those roles are split between Luke and Vader starting with Empire. As a whole, the original trilogy is the story of Vader's redemption through Luke.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Midnight Voyager posted:

What's with these loving people and being like "This is evil because THE VILLAINS are assholes"???

They're idiots.

What really puzzles me about trying to make out Pokemon is evil, is why don't they just say "This cartoon is about children capturing wild animals and forcing them to fight"? I suppose that would also require them to watch the show rather than go off what someone else told them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Scratch Monkey posted:

Classic example: A Clockwork Orange

An example Millennials will understand: Breaking Bad.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

They're idiots.

What really puzzles me about trying to make out Pokemon is evil, is why don't they just say "This cartoon is about children capturing wild animals and forcing them to fight"? I suppose that would also require them to watch the show rather than go off what someone else told them.

Because they don't care about cruelty to animals, probably

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

What's with these loving people and being like "This is evil because THE VILLAINS are assholes"???

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ein cooler Typ posted:

It's Halloween, you're supposed to dress up as something scary to go guising.

Though going by your description of women as females I assume you're disappointed they don't go dressed up as sexy droogs.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Story centers around the main character, but the protagonist is the person we follow who does things. They're usually the same, but not always. Anakin was both, but those roles are split between Luke and Vader starting with Empire. As a whole, the original trilogy is the story of Vader's redemption through Luke.

Huh yeah makes sense.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shirec posted:

I saw that story cause Roxanne Gay tweeted about it and all of a sudden she was getting tut-tutted/lightly attacked for it. Tweets asking how she can comment since she isn't a YA author. I will say, Ms. Gay doesn't take poo poo from anyone, she's a very refreshing follow. Some of the tweets were deleted already

https://twitter.com/rgay/status/894677581634519040

https://twitter.com/sunlitlibrary/status/894682934216581121
https://twitter.com/rgay/status/894683522954174464

https://twitter.com/YAIndulgences/status/894691940842602496
https://twitter.com/rgay/status/894692195944378372

The worst fandoms are, without fail, the ones where adults get into things made for kids.

Kekistan is still trying to take down Google for firing the guy who said women evolved to be bad at computers

I wonder how much data you'd have to store before Google even noticed.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

zoux posted:

It was estimated a few years ago that they have 10-15 exabytes of data already. We'll assume it's 15, since Google Drive gives you 15 GB of data for free so that's handy.

Basically, their existing data is the equivalent of about a billion entirely full free-tier Google Drive accounts.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

But oh lord it would keep these fellas busy (edit: proving how good they are at computers) :allears:

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

zoux posted:

Kekistan is still trying to take down Google for firing the guy who said women evolved to be bad at computers

I wonder how much money their ISPs will make when they all upgrade to the data cap they need to ever fill up a paid-for account.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

It was estimated a few years ago that they have 10-15 exabytes of data already. We'll assume it's 15, since Google Drive gives you 15 GB of data for free so that's handy.

Basically, their existing data is the equivalent of about a billion entirely full free-tier Google Drive accounts.

Luckily the Top Kek army is billions strong.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What was the youtube statistic, several hundred hours of new material get uploaded every minute? I think Google can take it, you guys.

Plus they have to generate 15 GB of random data first... are we entirely sure Google is who this tip is supposed to hurt?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

maswastaken posted:

I wonder how much money their ISPs will make when they all upgrade to the data cap they need to ever fill up a paid-for account.

Like they're going to use their home internet.

Want to see their explanations to HR why they clogged their corporate bandwidth getting back at Google.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

While "women are genetically predisposed to be bad at coding" is a dipshit opinion, I'm not sure about this trend of trying to redefine dipshit opinions you don't agree with as violence.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Is that assortment of profiles supposed to show that Google is in fact filled with women? Idgi

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

:females:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Fathis Munk posted:

Is that assortment of profiles supposed to show that Google is in fact filled with women? Idgi

I'm glad it's not just me who is confused as to what that image is supposed to tell me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

As we all know, those eight people are the only employees at Google.