Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Sill hope for lady stoneheart season 8!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Re: Dany is barren

Maybe the evil witch doctor lady was lying to her out of spite.

It's not like we have the scene of Dany going into her local feminine health clinic or anything.

has anybody considered this

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Stannis the Nitpicker would be pretty proud of GoT reinforcing the importance of the comma. In one episode they went from "Well done, Lannisters!" to "Well done Lannisters!"

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Propaganda Machine posted:

It's not like we have the scene of Dany going into her local feminine health clinic or anything.

Didn't we get a book scene where she has a menstruation again? It has a long time now that I read it, but I seem to remember that being something of a point for her before she flew off on her dragon to diarrhea-land.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

BreakAtmo posted:

Stannis the Nitpicker would be pretty proud of GoT reinforcing the importance of the comma. In one episode they went from "Well done, Lannisters!" to "Well done Lannisters!"

I liked the callback to less/fewer this ep.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Decius posted:

Didn't we get a book scene where she has a menstruation again? It has a long time now that I read it, but I seem to remember that being something of a point for her before she flew off on her dragon to diarrhea-land.

Her internal monologue in that sequence indicates that she never stopped menstruating as she's wondering whether the vaginal bleeding could be her period of if its too early for that. However, this doesn't confirm or deny whether she's barren or not either way.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I liked the callback to less/fewer this ep.

Yes, that was a touching little wink. Davos is the best, in new ways every episode.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

She had enough sexual intercourse without protection after that event without getting pregnant that it's empirically proven that either she is barren or Daario has really lovely sperm.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
RE: Sci-fi ending.

I hope that season 8 ends with a reveal that GoT is just an attraction like Westworld.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

GaussianCopula posted:

She had enough sexual intercourse without protection after that event without getting pregnant that it's empirically proven that either she is barren or Daario has really lovely sperm.

Counterpoint: in the book she and Daario do anal. Does she gently caress anyone else before him, other than Drogo? I thought she only got freaky with Daario because she was about to go into a sham marriage and wanted some before it was too late.

And yes this is dumb, but so is the show and most of this thread.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

7 seasons and not a single mention of the queen of the rabbits and her floppy ears. Sad.

also no Genna Lannister. Smh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Isn't there some poo poo about how MMD's prophecy about Dany being barren until some impossible poo poo happens will obliquely come true or some poo poo, like how certain things she says refers to Quentin Martell dying in Mereen, or the eventual collapse of the Wall

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Isn't there some poo poo about how MMD's prophecy about Dany being barren until some impossible poo poo happens will obliquely come true or some poo poo, like how certain things she says refers to Quentin Martell dying in Mereen, or the eventual collapse of the Wall

Yeah only Quentin doesn't exist in the show so not sure how that will work out.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Counterpoint: in the book she and Daario do anal. Does she gently caress anyone else before him, other than Drogo? I thought she only got freaky with Daario because she was about to go into a sham marriage and wanted some before it was too late.

And yes this is dumb, but so is the show and most of this thread.

No "he takes her every way a man can take a woman", not just anal.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That's actually not how the prophecy is worded.

quote:

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

Basically, if Jon get's her preggo he will have to deal with a very angry Khal Drogo, who will probably not take to kindly to some moody teen loving his wife and getting her pregnant. Not kindly at all.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
As soon as Johnny boy cums in his aunt, the sperm will grow muscles and a beard and stab his dick.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I'm pretty sure Jon isn't meant to be a teen at this point in the show. In the books he's like 19 or something at the moment, but in the show he started at 17 and it has to have been at least four or five years since then even with the story's vague timeline.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

skasion posted:

I'm pretty sure Jon isn't meant to be a teen at this point in the show. In the books he's like 19 or something at the moment, but in the show he started at 17 and it has to have been at least four or five years since then even with the story's vague timeline.

Yeah, I believe the gap in time between Robert's Rebellion and the start of the series is a few years longer in the show, so everyone is older, including the adult characters. Sometimes they even go beyond that in aging them up - Ned and Cat are in their thirties and the Hound is a twenty-something, I believe.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Yep, Ned's actually specifically 35 at the start of Game of Thrones, it's one of the first things we're told about him.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I'm pretty sure GRRM said at one point that the ending would be a fantasy, not sci-fi, and that people should just give up on calculating orbits or talking about nanobots in Targ blood or whatever. Did this Preston guy never get that memo?

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Drunk in Space posted:

I'm pretty sure GRRM said at one point that the ending would be a fantasy, not sci-fi, and that people should just give up on calculating orbits or talking about nanobots in Targ blood or whatever. Did this Preston guy never get that memo?

He's got a whole video on that topic. Shows the interviews where he 'denies' it and points out how wushu washy and non-denial they are.

Not that I think that's where it's going, but GRRM isn't doing a good job quashing it if it matters to him.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's a trick, Jon and Dany isn't the endgame, it's Jon and Arya!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

GRRM did say iirc that the seasons weirdness is attributable to magic and not some kind of sci-fi reason like multiple suns or space anomaly or whatever. On the other hand, he would kind of have to say that, like how Lost's writers claimed the show wasn't all a dream in purgatory or whatever. I don't think he has ever outright denied that the story could have sci-fi elements (and he is a a big fan of Dying Earth which is like the OG fantasy setting that is secretly a sci-fi setting) but I seriously doubt he is planning to go there.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think the groundwork has been laid pretty well for Jon/Dany to implement democratic reforms.

- Dany is barren, so the Targ line is dead as far as she knows, so why is she so dead-set on winning back the Iron Throne?
- Jon has seen how the free folk elect their leaders, and he has implemented free folk ideas since he got back from beyond the Wall.
- All the great houses are decimated, so opposition would be hampered.

That said, it seems like such an ending would be pandering to modern audiences.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It would be incredibly stupid for the books to end in a sci-fi explanation for everything.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

It's a trick, Jon and Dany isn't the endgame, it's Jon and Arya!

The final scene is Arya pulling the Dany mask off, to Jon's surprise. "You thought you were loving your Aunt, but I am actually your sister!"

"Hot", says Jon, as they kiss.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The last shot is just going to be a huge aerial zoomout à la Simpsons ending with Macumber's face.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

skasion posted:

How old is Gilly's baby?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

They can't implement any meaningful democratic reforms precisely because they can't have kids. If they die the realm will collapse without a unifying figure, they are not just going to follow a government consisting of Tyrion and Davos and a bunch of foreign weirdoes because a dead guy trusted them. Whoever can control the dragons will rule by force. If the dragons don't survive then the Seven Kingdoms will revert to being Seven Kingdoms because there is no military force to compel them to unite. The shattering of pre-war noble power bases isn't a good thing necessarily, it just means that nobody can really claim any legitimacy to their rule and whoever can hold power can keep it for only so long as they can hold it. I think we are more likely to head for a Fall of Rome type situation where part of Westeros remains under KL's control as a rump state ruled by pretenders, but the North and peripheral regions like Iron Islands and Dorne spin off independently.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

They can't implement any meaningful democratic reforms precisely because they can't have kids. If they die the realm will collapse without a unifying figure, they are not just going to follow a government consisting of Tyrion and Davos and a bunch of foreign weirdoes because a dead guy trusted them. Whoever can control the dragons will rule by force. If the dragons don't survive then the Seven Kingdoms will revert to being Seven Kingdoms because there is no military force to compel them to unite. The shattering of pre-war noble power bases isn't a good thing necessarily, it just means that nobody can really claim any legitimacy to their rule and whoever can hold power can keep it for only so long as they can hold it. I think we are more likely to head for a Fall of Rome type situation where part of Westeros remains under KL's control as a rump state ruled by pretenders, but the North and peripheral regions like Iron Islands and Dorne spin off independently.

If Dany dies, the Targ line can continue through Jon.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

If Dany dies, the Targ line can continue through Jon.

If anyone but Dany will accept him as a Targ, and if he survives her.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Maybe there will be that whole Jon must sacrifice himself to end the magic that keeps the zombies alive. It would give justification to how they try to shy away from talking about his revival.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The peasants achieve class consciousness, rise up and kill Jon, Dany, Cersei and all other undesirables. Communist Westeros is born.

Edit: same thing happens to the night king, and undead workers and un-undead workers unite to create a communist utopia.

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 9, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Rated PG-34 posted:

The peasants achieve class consciousness, rise up and kill Jon, Dany, Cersei and all other undesirables. Communist Westeros is born.

Edit: same thing happens to the night king, and undead workers and un-undead workers unite to create a communist utopia.

Full communism now is the end goal of the undead army. Once they get past the Wall, they just fan out and start selling revolutionary newspapers all over Westeros.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

:ussr:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Full communism now is the end goal of the undead army. Once they get past the Wall, they just fan out and start selling revolutionary newspapers all over Westeros.

We haven't heard any of the wights speak yet, because when they start it's just the Communist Manifesto on loop forever.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

I think the groundwork has been laid pretty well for Jon/Dany to implement democratic reforms.

- Dany is barren, so the Targ line is dead as far as she knows, so why is she so dead-set on winning back the Iron Throne?
- Jon has seen how the free folk elect their leaders, and he has implemented free folk ideas since he got back from beyond the Wall.
- All the great houses are decimated, so opposition would be hampered.

That said, it seems like such an ending would be pandering to modern audiences.

Perfect set up for Tommen 2: Sweet Robin

Tossing people out of the moon door is replaced by roasting them alive with dragonfire. Or still tossing them out of the moon door and seeing if the dragons can eat them before they hit the ground.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I had a dream that I was rendezvousing Arya in an old abandoned farmhouse in the woods, and I knew she got there before me because her truck was there. I looked around and couldn't find her anywhere, and the creepiness of the environment and the fact that she was missing kept making me more and more paranoid until I was in a full on panick jumping at shadows and looking for secret passages she could be hiding in, but eventually I threw some covers off a bed and she'd just been sleeping the whole time. I was embarrassed that I'd made so much noise and probably woke her up already, and asked her why she was asleep instead of being ready for our spy meeting, and she said a couple had paid her to pretend to be their baby and it had exhausted her.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Dany is probably genuinely barren in the show.

I honestly can't believe the show will end with her and Jon playing King & Queen.

The only ending that makes sense (figuring in that the main four families are our main characters and one of them has to end up on the throne) is that Sansa ends up on the throne.

Here's who's left:
Jon / Dany - no way. Too happy ending, too pat. They probably die together.
Cersei - dies.
Arya - no.
Bran - ha.
Jamie - no. probably dies killing Cersei.
Tyrion - can't see that happening.
Gendry - as a troll option, maybe.
Sansa - went through poo poo, learned to live through torture, learned to scheme but stays on the side of the people, knows her politics enough to get it right. Also it's a light/dark mirror of Cersei, so it's got a nice symmetry to it.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

There's not going to be an Iron Throne.

In a symbol of breaking the cycle, Dany will use her dragon to melt it down. You see, because a dragon forged it.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

• Locked thread