Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Good replacement for Aura Shards in the GW deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/hotcblog/status/895127101216620544

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Entropic posted:

It's a way to get a bit of extra damage in that has a very very minimal deckbuilding cost. There's next to no downside to running one in place of a basic forest in any green deck.

They're all extremely good in limited and probably playable in Standard except the blue one, which does basically nothing outside of a dedicated Mill deck.

Pretty much. It's a land that comes in untapped and makes colored mana that can also be a mediocre spell if you're out of gas. What more justification do you need?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BJPaskoff posted:

Good replacement for Aura Shards in the GW deck.

Isn't this more of another Indrik Stomphowler/Conclave Naturalists?

E: I've seen some ramp builds run the green Oasis so that Hour of Promise can make zombies

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Elyv posted:

E: I've seen some ramp builds run the green Oasis so that Hour of Promise can make zombies

He was talking about limited, in which case I guess it's not as good as the black one but it's still something you will be happy to pick up any time you see a mediocre pack and will make your deck 100% of the time.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

PJOmega posted:

I can at least see benefit of a repeatable mill 4 for 3 at instant speed. Not a big mill fan in draft but it synergizes with high Embalm/Eternalize counts and feeds things like Enigma Drake. Plus there's always a few who dream of Mill.dec in every draft.

But +3/+3 for 4 at sorcery speed seems a lot less appealing.

It seems like it goes Black > White > Red/Blue >>>> Green. But I freely admit my HoD limited ability is far worse than my AMK. I'm 2-1, 0-2, and 3-0 so far, so am very eager to learn.

They're all good in certain decktypes, but I agree that the black one is the most playable. Ramunap ruins got a lot of press from the pro tour but it has to be in a deck where that two damage means something.

Are you guys buying any of the commander decks? I'm on the fence about getting into the format but the buy-in seems pretty reasonable. Are these decks usually pretty balanced? Dragons v cats seems like a little bit of a blowout right now, but I guess it's too early to tell and also I'm bad at magic

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

But Bears aren't a creature type in this Commander release :confused:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Tainen posted:

Yeah mine is for 109. They are also holding a precon 1v1 tournament with the winner getting the Commander Arsenal.

Good price, good price, :chloe: format

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Elyv posted:

This or another cat

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Are you guys buying any of the commander decks? I'm on the fence about getting into the format but the buy-in seems pretty reasonable. Are these decks usually pretty balanced? Dragons v cats seems like a little bit of a blowout right now, but I guess it's too early to tell and also I'm bad at magic
I got into commander a couple months back when I realized the local crowd of yugioh players turned adults were actually pretty cool dudes who just played magic casually. I don't have no idea how that process worked. Anyway I bought all the decks I could get my hands on and played them 1v1 against a friend of mine who has been slowly getting back in. We had fun, but we also didn't give much of a gently caress as he's still trying to get his head back around the game. Even with a deep collection I've used tons of stuff from the decks I bought, and someone with very little we get a lot of use out of the stuff I already had, ie signets, duals, sol ring, etc.

Playing all four decks should be pretty balanced if you have four players; commander tends to self-balance if you're playing without easily assembled infinite combos or other hallmarks of high end decks. The latter of which I've never really bothered with. The wotc decks generally felt good against each other, though sometimes you might have to ask a player to run a less hurtful commander 1v1.

Anyway I'm buying all four. I'll play with that friend again, get a good night or two of fun before taking them apart.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Carl Killer Miller posted:

They're all good in certain decktypes, but I agree that the black one is the most playable. Ramunap ruins got a lot of press from the pro tour but it has to be in a deck where that two damage means something.

Not to get into a limited holy war or whatever, but there are a lot of really good desert matters cards in the set that make deserts that tap for your colour and have no other text extremely valuable. Ramunap Ruins just to turn on Sand Strangler is pretty common and basically always good.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Procrastinator posted:

Not to get into a limited holy war or whatever, but there are a lot of really good desert matters cards in the set that make deserts that tap for your colour and have no other text extremely valuable. Ramunap Ruins just to turn on Sand Strangler is pretty common and basically always good.

That's where my evaluation comes in putting Red up. That 2 damage is simply reach gravy, but the big benefit is Sand Strangler and Gifted Cerodon. Green gets the Sidewinder Naga and Ramunap Hydra at rare.

Again, I'm not saying my evaluation is be all, end all. Glad to get outside opinions. My local shop's card evaluation talk is... not great.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/894996526463889408

They should reprint all five of the Legends elder dragons even though two or three of them are so bad.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Roman vampires are extremely my poo poo

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I REALLY like the roman vampire flavour.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

the roman vampire flavour rocks and hopefully there's other, stronger, cards with the same theme because Licia isn't good even by casual edh standards

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ZeroCount posted:

the roman vampire flavour rocks and hopefully there's other, stronger, cards with the same theme because Licia isn't good even by casual edh standards

Karlov has taught me there's a lot more incidental lifegain out there than you think.

Karlov also has a much better rate for that incidental lifegain. Then again, this is ramped to by Lightning Helix and Glorybound Initiate.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Karlov has taught me there's a lot more incidental lifegain out there than you think.

Karlov also has a much better rate for that incidental lifegain. Then again, this is ramped to by Lightning Helix and Glorybound Initiate.

I'll admit, it's a pretty innovative way of promoting a voltron strategy rather than the usual Equipment/Hexproof/Whatever Boy and I do like how the lifegain clause lets you potentially completely ignore the commander tax buuuuuuuttt well, like you said, karlov generally just does this poo poo better. When you get down to it past all her rules she's just a fatty with no inherent evasion or protection and no actual ability. Karlov at least exiles people.

I mean, it's casual so people can and should and will run whatever they want but she's also mechanically boring.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/sheldonmenery/status/895260290488684547

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I wish it was a cleric.

So I can put it in Kaalia and still be on theme.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Should have gave Commanders Horsemanship

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A red 4/4 flier for 4 with no downside? Back in my day...

He bad tho.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

A red 4/4 flier for 4 with no downside? Back in my day...

He bad tho.

I mean, Thunderbreak Regent exists

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/cmdrdecks/status/895290929099096064

https://twitter.com/cmdrdecks/status/895291181185212416

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/hotcblog/status/895292087230504961

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

So this is 4 damage every turn in non-commander games, yeah?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/hotcblog/status/895292721321168896

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Wonder when we start getting commander cards in boosters, in some form or another.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

This is the first phase card from... a lot of time, right?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

Wonder when we start getting commander cards in boosters, in some form or another.

We did, it was called Hour of Devastation.

Also, Teferi's Protection is entirely my poo poo.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

holy poo poo phasing :psyduck:

they didn't even include phasing in time spiral

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Why is this white

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

80s James Hetfield posted:

Why is this white

White is the color of saving permanents from dying?

Also, a bunch of Teferi's cards were also white?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/hotcblog/status/895294874831945728

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/mtggoldfish/status/895295244031451136

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

Why is this white

Because it's pretty much the same type of effect as Faith's Reward and Second Sunrise, stapled to Angel's Grace and Ivory Mask etc. Protecting yourself is white, protecting all your poo poo is white. Using phasing is a new and exciting way to do that, but it works.

I loving love this card.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

That's one unlucky guy there. Though he does seem to keep surviving, at least.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Last vampire legendary

https://twitter.com/hotcblog/status/895295715634802689

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Count Bleck posted:

White is the color of saving permanents from dying?

Also, a bunch of Teferi's cards were also white?

Teferi was never printed in white I didn't think? Unless it was like way before I started playing.

I was just thinking it didn't make sense like getting a Red card named Nissa's Lighting that does 3 damage to creature or player