Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
So if that single model is 750000 polys and 5ish gbs of RAM...how is that ever going to run in an actual videogame? You can't exactly "optimize" that to playability without just redoing it and making it like an actual game developer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

So if that single model is 750000 polys and 5ish gbs of RAM...how is that ever going to run in an actual videogame? You can't exactly "optimize" that to playability without just redoing it and making it like an actual game developer.

Don't worry. Chris has learned from that time in 1991–92 when he thought it was incredibly risky to assume that computers would get more powerful and cheaper. Now he knows better, so obviously, new hardware will solve that pesky little problem soon enough.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

It only has to have the parts that you're looking at in memory, see? It will stream the ship model from disk the way other games stream terrain

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Hasn't CIG partnered with simplygon to help automate the generation of LODs from their crazy high poly models?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Foo Diddley posted:

It only has to have the parts that you're looking at in memory, see? It will stream the ship model from disk the way other games stream terrain

wasn't this a thing with the caterpillar, that when you pushed the door opening button the doors only opened if they were actually in your line of sight?

cupitor
Oct 13, 2016

That "Erillion" guy is the major (and almost only) CIG cheer-leader on mmorpg for years now. Seems to be his main occupation.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Erenthal posted:

wasn't this a thing with the caterpillar, that when you pushed the door opening button the doors only opened if they were actually in your line of sight?

I don't know, but that certainly sounds like the level of quality that we've come to expect from CIG

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Doors are tough.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Erenthal posted:

Yea lol. I'm not even sure if they ever fixed it. Maybe in doors 2.0.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
It's true that Star Citizen doesn't have microtransactions, because they're not micro in any way. SC has macrotransactions.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Doors are tough.
Especially when they're made from airplane wings.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Erenthal posted:

Well, you don't want to miss the FIDELITY and IMMERSION of HANDCRAFTED ANIMATIONS doing CATCHY WORD while they TAGLINE and ACRONYM.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It seems to be taking an awful long time for them to actually get angry that OSC isn't banned, what does the guy have to do.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/165432494?t=02h48m40s

:gary:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

I wonder what features he think E:D copied from Star Citizen…
I wonder what expansion features he's thinking of that no-one asked for.
I wonder if he understands the concept of nickle-and-diming.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
That clip from WTFO's stream yesterday was hilarious.

CIG's been hyping the 3.0/2.7 thing for over a year with all these grandiose things and WTFO is talking about them all occurring soon. And then you have Sherman, cig employee, is there now going "chill out weirdo none of that poo poo is coming we are human and its just a game patch".

Also the new hope with citizens is that the delta patcher will bring more content faster. And Sherman shut that poo poo down but WTFO was having none it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Bootcha posted:

Hi guys I hope you are all okay. I am at summer camp having fun before I continue work on the biggest piece of media I have ever done. I look forward to reading your posts. Remember to call your parents.

Where's our 24 pages of stuff, Bootcha!?!?!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TanisB/status/895265595020775424

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I name this video "WTFO has the dawning realisation that CIG's animations are dogshit".

Hellblade's animation is, to be totally honest, utterly astonishing and often spine chilling. Little things like how Senua has a proper fighter's gait, putting her offhand forward at all time, because of that she sidesteps when you strafe left, cross leg walks when you go right.

THOUGHT has gone into everything, and it's brutally proving that CIG is creatively bankrupt.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TanisB/status/895266134634754048

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Xaerael posted:

I name this video "WTFO has the dawning realisation that CIG's animations are dogshit".

Hellblade's animation is, to be totally honest, utterly astonishing and often spine chilling. Little things like how Senua has a proper fighter's gait, putting her offhand forward at all time, because of that she sidesteps when you strafe left, cross leg walks when you go right.

THOUGHT has gone into everything, and it's brutally proving that CIG is creatively bankrupt.

But Star Citizen has mopping

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

:lol:

also indignant "I didn't spend 20k on a 60 dollar game, I spent 18k!!!!" guy is great

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Quavers posted:

CIG doing orbital physics, what could possibly go wrong...

Fidelity!

:kingsley:

Roche limit would like to have a word with your celestial body...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roche_limit

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Xaerael posted:

Any thought of quality in all that mocap went out the window when we saw that guy doing the cargo loading animation with an empty box.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

"Steady on with the conspiracy theories chaps, it's obviously just Derek rather than all the dereks."

aleksendr posted:

Start with Newton and their poo poo just falls apart. Watch the planetary system livestream and they're painting circles on a flat map; of course the orbits are going to intersect and nary a eyelid was batted.

Also Roche limits are kinda on the block for some of the really loving oddities we're observing.

Meanwhile, Elite is a barren wasteland of accurate orbital mechanics. Sorry, a _playable_ barren wasteland of accurate orbital mechanics.

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 9, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

aleksendr posted:

Pff. I bet that silly limit doesn't apply to something that can create and destroy momentum, such as anything that Chris has imagined.

Hav posted:

Meanwhile, Elite is a barren wasteland of accurate orbital mechanics. Sorry, a _playable_ barren wasteland of accurate orbital mechanics.

…except for Mitterand Hollwow, which is allowed to ignore the Roche limit because of its celebrity status. :D

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
how hard can this mmo thing be

*starts making star citizen*

oh

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Whew, glad to see Robert's word is gospel.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

14 days grace comes after delivery you moron.

People like him are the reason scam artists exist. :D

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

spacetoaster posted:

Where's our 24 pages of stuff, Bootcha!?!?!

Weeks, not months

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Xaerael posted:

Oh wow. I didn't notice this.

My favourite touch is the way that her gait plainly changes after you finish a big fight. She stands up straighter and walks with confidence, almost strutting. But then over time the voices and the doubts come back and she hunches down, alone and I terror.

This is a wonderful, unsettling game. Also here's a Dev diary about the importance of picking a good default pose and what that implies for your whole animation scheme.

e: taxxe

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 9, 2017

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I didn't sign any ToS, and simply shrink-wrapping a EULA with a downloader is not ironclad. He seems to have forgotten precedence or the entire concept of 'bad faith', which is entirely at odds with 'arguing with christians on facebook'. The thing he's looking for is 'post hoc ergo propter hoc', and the argument he's emulating has been done over, again and again.

The fun thing is that it exposes Dunning-Kruger quite well because he's assuming that his experience is the sum total of experience without then falsifying; debate from a position of being correct isn't a debate, it's an argument.

(This post was produced by a team of no faith and a single WASP background)

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
One wonders how Citizens will react when 3.0 is delayed again this Friday.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Quavers posted:

One wonders how Citizens will react when 3.0 is delayed again this Friday.

"This is good for Star Citizen, since it gives the team more time for polish. Furthermore... "

The sickening truth is, that's not a joke. Like the WORM

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6slco7/so_does_render_to_texture_allow_us_to_have_the/

:psyduck:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

What an interesting discussion that whole thread produced! Forgive my rambling, I found the whole thread incredibly interesting.

Discussions were considerably more coherent than discussions about the chart on /dereksmart, who conspicuously chose to archive the ugly inverted chart, not the lovely original. (That's hardly good faith documenting, DS friends, I really did endeavor to make it a lovely to look at...)

MMORPG forum discussions about Star Citizen fit the future-facing, past-revising positivity bias originally modeled at RSI forums. Permnanent embeds like Max Bacon and Erillion have 10,000+ posts between them yet I've never seen one demanding accountability from CIG, for 'tis Heresy. The "9 Voices of Star Citizen Debate" discussion produced lots of engagement and views yet is the only MMORPG forum post closed from the first page of threads. Why? ("Goons!" :argh:)

Self-appointed, totally non-biased forum mayor Erillion rushed straight to ad hominem. Only a few weeks ago, when the Alpha 3.0 Infographic hit his jurisdiction, he countered with sawed-off shotgun blasts stereotyping the source and defending Chris Roberts against the implications of the work:

Erillion posted:

July 20

Its not about "goons being bad".

Its about Goons doing things only for propaganda value. All part of their Agitprop campaign. It is their modus operandi. And they openly admit it.

Like any demagogue before them they only present selective information with a bias. Never the full picture. Never putting it into context. Maximising propaganda value. Always with the goal in mind to maximise the shock and outrage value ... because chaos is their goal and chaos is their method.

Have fun little bees

Erillion, a few posts later..." posted:

If you mention "Goons" and "trustworthy" in the same sentence, you have understood nothing about the Goons.

Heck, they have been robbed and betrayed by their own leaders! Twice! (at least)
How's that for "trustworthy" ?

Coming back to the topic of the thread ... ANY infographic coming from the Goons should be taken with a grain of salt ... about the size of a salt mine.

I can hardly vouch for my own trustworthiness, of course, but the irony isn't lost that Erillion is one of the most energetic, full-throated defenders of Chris Roberts, a person who has indisputably lied brazenly and repeatedly over a 5 year span. he has done it before live audiences numbering in the five digits and raised $156 million doing it, yet Erillion is not only untroubled by all of that, he's eager to stereotype criticism from SA because not a single participant here can be trusted. We are all uniformly evil, hellbent on chaos, lacking constructive motives, etcetera while Chris Roberts is cool and good and furthermore...

So, in light of his take on the Alpha 3.0 chart, it's really rich that only a few weeks later, when the 9 Voices chart hit MMORPG and the OP asked people to identify where they fit on the chart, Erillion immediately identified himself as a "Believer."

This is a guy who has written 7,600+ posts in that forum alone, hundreds of which include broadside attacks on critics ("goons!" :argh:), yet he considers himself only mildly-positively biased, not engaged in Evangelism and certainly not attacking perceived threats on moralistic grounds.

Are you sure we're the ones engaged in a propaganda war, Erillion?

Flashback: MMORPG Thread about Star Marine - January 2016 - a tour de force thread starring Erillion as paladin defender of Chris Roberts, Derek Smart as the firebomb thrower, justagamemode, Sunny's Diner, Lando Santa and the special edition Porsche PLUS a very special guest appearance by Lethality as the "Jason Hutchins is not gone. I welcome proof that he is." guy.

Flashback: MMORPG Thread about the Star Citizen tracker - April 2017 - Max Bacon and Erillion sing another stirring rendition of "Goons! :argh:" (Max Bacon wanting to host the tracker to make sure it's honest is :five: though.)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Much like Chris, these people don't seem to grasp that computer games aren't real. It's pretty shocking, really.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
People are being amazed that CIG has made graphics appear in a game :psyduck:

Like, who would ever have thought it possible that graphics could appear in a game, this is revolutionary poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Xaerael posted:

Also, Hellblade was made by a team of only 15 people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL9X1Z0OAbs