Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

RareAcumen posted:

So what you're saying is that someone should swap Leslie and Ern.ie's scenes from both movies and thus make a complete roster that fits together for everyone

I love Hudson in the original movie. It sucks that his character was changed and sidelined, but as I've got older I've learned to appreciate his performance a lot more.

He and Peter Macnicol are the few saving graces of the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jimbot posted:

Only thing I disagree with in the Plinkett review is that all the characters in the original film get good development. Winston, I found, got shafted something fierce. They hire him and he is kind of just... there. They give him a few good lines but compared to the other three he's just a fourth uniform in the background. When I read of the diminished role of him and how Ernie Hudson was kind of bummed that the character changed so much from the script, you really notice when you watch the film.
IIRC Eddie Murphy was the original choice for Ghostbusters but had a schedule conflict or it didn't work out, so I'm guessing they had to change it from that.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I like how most people refer to the original Ghostbusters cast as Egon/Venkman/Etc., but seemingly no one can remember the names of the actual characters in GB2016.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

IIRC Eddie Murphy was the original choice for Ghostbusters but had a schedule conflict or it didn't work out, so I'm guessing they had to change it from that.

He took Beverly Hills Cop over it was what it was. There were a ton of casting fall-throughs though (I don't think this is even all of them), so they should have been used to it I'd think.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Was Ernie supposed to be ex-military in the script or was that from the original version called "Ghostsmashers"?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://vimeo.com/120399693

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Thompsons posted:

I like how most people refer to the original Ghostbusters cast as Egon/Venkman/Etc., but seemingly no one can remember the names of the actual characters in GB2016.

A side effect of both Improv Saved By Editor, and that what little was written for the characters was board flat and just nothing. The most notable 'character' is the movie is Hemsworth's if only because holy poo poo is that ever a horrific reading of Janine.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm not sure why Paul Feig was even there when it's clear from the commentaries and the on-set footage that he was just letting the actors do whatever they wanted. As the review points out near the end, he's like a grade school teacher just standing around and laughing at how the kids have taken over the production. From what I can tell he was not doing anything close to what is traditionally considered directing. He might as well have just been the cinematographer.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Testekill posted:

Because I doubt the moron that bangs on for at least ten minutes a review just going on about an options screen really understands satire.

Didn't TB literally do a video of Halo Wars 2 where he flat out says "people complain that I spend a lot of time in the options menu... so here is a video entirely about the options menu :haw:"

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Playstation 4 posted:

Ernie was an excellent actor with a muted character script, Jones was a excellent improv with no script and a hack director. Really both were held back, and its a shame

I would pay to see a totally-not-spinoff movie of Leslie Jones teaming up with Ernie Hudson as ghost detectives.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The important question here is, do any of these actors hate white people

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know if it counts here, since he's more of just an Internet Guy, but:

https://twitter.com/Boogie2988/status/895176411488636928

How the gently caress do you eat 2600 calories in a single meal and not say to yourself "I'm going to be morbidly obese real soon doing this"?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Have you seen the guy?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MisterBibs posted:

How the gently caress do you eat 2600 calories in a single meal and not say to yourself "I'm going to be morbidly obese real soon doing this"?

Boogie is (was? Haven't seen him in ages) morbidly obese

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

somekindofguy posted:

The important question here is, do any of these actors hate white people

That's something I sometimes wonder: do any of these racist gamergate fuckers ever feel a twinge of embarrassment over how they wasted so much time and energy losing their poo poo and making complete asses of themselves over what turned out to be an ultimately mediocre and inconsequential movie?

The answer is No, these people have no capacity for self reflection, if they did they wouldn't have followed Milo as he gleefully led them to Hell with him. But I still wonder...

E:

sexpig by night posted:

Still is, unless he managed to shed a person and a half's worth of weight since VidCon last month.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 9, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Motto posted:

Have you seen the guy?

sexpig by night posted:

I know he's morbidly obese, I just figured you'd realize consuming that much would've been a key sign long ago that something needed changing.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

He probably has thought that a thousand times but eating disorders are more complicated than "Wow I totally didn't notice that I have to eat less/more to not cripple myself and die early!".

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

MisterBibs posted:

I know he's morbidly obese, I just figured you'd realize consuming that much would've been a key sign long ago that something needed changing.

Are you so dense that you're going to make a thing about not getting mental illness next.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MisterBibs posted:

you get someone his size usually has an eating disorder or issues with food or the like right

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is gonna be great.

It's gonna be great.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

"Hey, wait a second. My foot shouldn't be bent that way, actually!" *My leg rotates 540° clockwise, cracking back into place and no longer being cerulean* "Boy, good thing I just decided to stop being injured, much like reading youtube comments!"

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MisterBibs posted:

You know how you can read somebody's post, and think "god that's stupid, why would they type that?" And then five minutes later, you see they've posted something just as stupid? And they've been doing it for years? And never seem to notice how stupid their posts are?

It's kinda like that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
haha he's so fat guys look at the fatty lol so stupid!

Yes, this is exactly the conversation we should be having in this thread.
Might as well start throwing up Ozzy Man Commentaries to put things on a different track in this thread.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Did anyone call him stupid? Except Bibs who doesn't count.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

"Hey, wait a second. My foot shouldn't be bent that way, actually!" *My leg rotates 540° clockwise, cracking back into place and no longer being cerulean* "Boy, good thing I just decided to stop being injured, much like reading youtube comments!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4XYJrUnoeY

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

RareAcumen posted:

:sbahj:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

you get someone his size usually has an eating disorder or issues with food or the like right

I get it (I follow him, aware of his abused past, etc) but I wish I could better understand the headspace of it, for lack of a better term. Specifically, I wish I understood the lack of some sort of internal "Self, something here is dangerously wrong and we need to change something right now" at some point before he's eating 2500 calories a meal. Like, sure, if you already are at that stage you've developed a learned helplessness, but before that?

I'm not making fun of him, I'm just :psyduck: about how someone gets to that point.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Something something hot dogs

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah you can't understand it, that's why it's called a mental illness

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

MisterBibs posted:

I get it (I follow him, aware of his abused past, etc) but I wish I could better understand the headspace of it, for lack of a better term. Specifically, I wish I understood the lack of some sort of internal "Self, something here is dangerously wrong and we need to change something right now" at some point before he's eating 2500 calories a meal. Like, sure, if you already are at that stage you've developed a learned helplessness, but before that?

I'm not making fun of him, I'm just :psyduck: about how someone gets to that point.

I think Boogie did one of those 'Draw My Life' videos, so maybe there's something in there where he discusses why he's like that.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh! Oh! At least that fat guy can probably eat more hot dogs than MisterBibs before dying

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I know it's MisterBibs, but...

Usually, it's gradual. As you eat more, your bodt gets used to it and craves more, which makes you hungrier, etc. A vicious circle.

At least that's how it was for me.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MisterBibs posted:

I feel the same way about hoarders. There's a limit to how oblivious someone should be about their surroundings, but goddamn some people just have a way, way higher limit than I do.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

That's like asking why a cancer patient doesn't just choose to stop growing tumors. Not a 1:1 obviously, but a mental disorder is not really all that different from any other disorder someone might find themselves having.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

"I eat because I'm sad -> I'm sad because I eat"

It's literally that simple sometimes, it's a hard thing to break out of.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Calaveron posted:

Oh! Oh! At least that fat guy can probably eat more hot dogs than MisterBibs before dying

Hey

Hey

solid

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yardbomb posted:

"I eat because I'm sad -> I'm sad because I eat"

It's literally that simple sometimes, it's a hard thing to break out of.

It's sad when reality has made Fat Bastard seem normal.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

That's something I sometimes wonder: do any of these racist gamergate fuckers ever feel a twinge of embarrassment over how they wasted so much time and energy losing their poo poo and making complete asses of themselves over what turned out to be an ultimately mediocre and inconsequential movie?

The answer is No, these people have no capacity for self reflection, if they did they wouldn't have followed Milo as he gleefully led them to Hell with him. But I still wonder...

I sometimes wonder the reverse. Like people who are all WOMEN COMING TO GET YOUR GHOSTINGBUSTERS and who put a movie on a pedestal for its casting choices and say its such an important movie... do they ever feel slightly embarrassed when that movie turns out to be a pile of poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
But...have you ever considered...BOTH SIDES are terrible?????

• Locked thread