Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

"Virtue signaling" implies that they don't mean what they say, I guess you're staying with "diaper making GBS threads retard." A shame.

No, they often do really mean what they say, it's just what they tend to talk and obsess about is inconsequential bullshit; like "sexist" clothing, or manspreading, or not enough strong independent womyn in the newest stupid hero movie rather than girls getting their clitoris mutilated as a rite of passage, or women being "honor killed" (even by immigrants in 1st world countries) because she dared to talk to a man that she was forbidden to associate with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

"Virtue signaling" implies that they don't mean what they say

No, that's called "hypocrisy"

"Virtue signaling" is a dumb alt right concept that no one actually feels empathy, they're all just faking it to earn nice nice points.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Be a good consumer and stop worrying about who had to die for you to get those silken Calvin Klein knockoff boxers

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Shiki Dan posted:

No, they often do really mean what they say, it's just what they tend to talk and obsess about is inconsequential bullshit; like "sexist" clothing, or manspreading, or not enough strong independent womyn in the newest stupid hero movie rather than girls getting their clitoris mutilated as a rite of passage, or women being "honor killed" (even by immigrants in 1st world countries) because she dared to talk to a man that she was forbidden to associate with.

I mean, you know that horrific levels of sexism such as FGM and honor killings and marital rape don't... make smaller and less violent levels of sexism like the wage gap, women automatically being assumed to not know their poo poo in specific industries based entirely off of being a woman, and the way mass media reflects and conditions people to believe basic sexist societal doctrine disappear, right? They can both be problems, friend. The problem only arises when people focus on the latter stuff (because it directly impacts them, most likely) and don't divert any resources to the former stuff.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

WampaLord posted:

No, that's called "hypocrisy"

"Virtue signaling" is a dumb alt right concept that no one actually feels empathy, they're all just faking it to earn nice nice points.

Yeah, you explained it better than I did.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Saying someone is virtue signaling just means you don't know the definition of sanctimony

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
it's funny that the term comes from conservatives who are always trying to out-conservative eachother

in the end you have to accept it's not five-dimensional moral chess, people really are that dumb

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

bagual posted:

in the end you have to accept it's not five-dimensional moral chess, people really are that dumb

This is like the Occam's razor of polarised politics.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

sugar free jazz posted:

Being very friendly is NOT a China thing

It's a country China thing. While I was living in there I knew a guy who fit that description to a T. His family raised chickens, but he went to school in the city. Spoke great English.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Why would you wear a diaper and NOT poo poo in it is what I want to know

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

"Virtue signaling" implies that they don't mean what they say, I guess you're staying with "diaper making GBS threads retard." A shame.

imagine being such a broken person you get all pissy and smug like this over someone using a made up buzzword in a slightly different way than you, lmao

:therapy:

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

Shiki Dan posted:

To be prejudiced would at least require a modicum of thinking about people other than themselves.

the opposite is true. people rely on their prejudices instead of actually thinking about other people. I'm just a diaper shutting retard but the phrase 'virtue signalling' tips your hand in the same way that saying 'reverse racism' would.

conservatives do this same thing when they bitch about the war on xmas... I guess, except that sexism exists and the war on xmas doesn't? I don't know, whatever. until later , I remain,
- the diaper making GBS threads retard

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
another fesh please because holy goddamn gently caress take this poo poo to cspam or d&d. or make a "stupid loving buzzwords used by fuckheads to beat up on political rivals" thread or something jesus.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Someone link that "privilege test." Let's really cement in this derail.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Solice Kirsk posted:

Someone link that "privilege test." Let's really cement in this derail.

http://www.checkmyprivilege.com ?

quote:

Your privilege level is SHITLORD with a score of 190

Happy with that.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

lol

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I answered as honestly as I could and wound up extremely oppressed with a score of -830. Who knew a straight white male that's comfortably in the middle class and works out is opressed.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Shiki Dan posted:

The best thing to fight "virtue signallying" is apparently "whataboutism"

This is the worst form of bingo ever.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

Sometimes I visit cam sites, the ones with the naked ladies. That's not the confession.

Whenever I do this, I browse until I find a girl who's 'vaping', then type in the chat "KEEP SUCKING ON THAT ROBOT DICK!!!!"

I don't want to sound too "judgey" here but if you're specifically seeking out camgirls to send dad jokes to you might need to socialize more

I don't vape (ok I vape weed, and would recommend it, but that's it) but calling vaping sucking a robot dick has reached dad joke status by now. Like the whole covfefe thing.

I hesitate to post this next one because of the current thread discussion, but it's the last fesh I have sooooo

quote:

Of course the one anon in a million to send a followup would be the guy whining about social media, right?

I don't know, I guess I'm fed up with the whole "culture war" theater of social justice. I consider it exactly as white and privileged as the right-wing culture war where they complain about Starbucks cups. It annoys me that well-off highly-educated white women with professional jobs and nice apartments acting like they're second-class citizens because of costume design in an obscure video game they feel no desire to actually play, or because of theoretical men sitting the wrong way on the train while minding their own theoretical business (I have never seen this myself but I am assured it is an epidemic), or because famous people are in better shape than them, gets filed under the same "social justice" umbrella as, say for example, arguing against the wage gap or advocating for greater access to abortion clinics in rural areas, and gets you the same treatment if you express doubt that they're the biggest problems in the world.

It really doesn't help that the people complaining the loudest about dumb culture-war bullshit are other dumb culture warriors, IE gators and other alt-right types. Saying "I dunno, maybe not every character arc in every TV show has to be written to your exact specifications" to the white girl I know from college ranting about how Game of Thrones is sexist because last episode she had to suffer through two whole minutes of Jorah Mormont screentime (which is rape culture because fedora Nice Guy IT'S 2017 etc) would get me labeled an MRA, because the only other people nerdy enough to talk about this stuff like it matters in any way are in fact MRAs.

Basically, personally affronted nerds are the absolute worst, particularly when they're comfortable white people with no real problems in their lives, no matter what side of the political spectrum they fall on, South Park horseshoe theory truth in the middle blah blah blah

I can condense that even further: white people are entitled whiny assholes. I say that half because it's true and relevant, and half to piss off the people talking about virtue signaling ITT.

Also Ghostbusters 2016 was a bad movie and everybody knows it and the worst culture-war of all was when everybody apparently decided that it was A Referendum On Feminism and attached all of this baggage to a poorly-written pile of poo poo which should end Paul Feig's career if there's any justice in the world. There, that should piss off everyone else.

Finally, I'm an alien and I'm trying to contact Donald Trump so he can send me home. Throwing that in there to apologize for this dumb culture-war whine about dumb culture-war whining.

If that guy who was mad about other people being illogical all the time could benefit from being told "chill out about people being wrong on the Internet" you can too

I believe in you

Take a deep breath and close that tab

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
What the everloving gently caress is that all about?

People care too much about inconsequential poo poo.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Short version: People like to care aboit unimportant poo poo.

Long version: The entire Free Republic thread in D&D

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

loquacius posted:

If that guy who was mad about other people being illogical all the time could benefit from being told "chill out about people being wrong on the Internet" you can too

I believe in you

Really, all that was necessary (to use the word "necessary" very loosely) in that last 'fesh was to say "Yuck, I'm sick of this culture war poo poo."

Also, I enjoy the heck out of this thread for the weird/bizarre stuff, but seeing someone come back with an update that shows that they're at least considering taking some steps in the right direction is pretty drat dope. I thought for sure the next time we heard about logic dude it would be in a local news story where a monotone anchor would explain that the newly-convicted multiple felon was a frequent visitor to a suspected terror/child abduction/satanist website called something is awful dot com.

Keep up the good work, duder. The most recent confessor would benefit from following your example. :yotj:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

loquacius posted:

I hesitate to post this next one because of the current thread discussion, but it's the last fesh I have sooooo...

...If that guy who was mad about other people being illogical all the time could benefit from being told "chill out about people being wrong on the Internet" you can too

I believe in you

Heh, at least the dude is putting an effort into a troll fesh post. More than I can say for the rest of you!

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
There's no way mad at social media goon can be that upset based on the Facebook posting of their acquaintances. Like seriously, who the gently caress cares that much. There must be something more going on there. Search your soul and find out what's really bothering you, cause once you figure that out, you should be able to observe someone's petty opinion and just laugh and shake it off.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

DandyLion posted:

Heh, at least the dude is putting an effort into a troll fesh post. More than I can say for the rest of you!

i dunno how much :effort: that was but i remember in the :corsair: days that trolling was at least kinda remotely funny.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
social media goon hire a hooker its something everyone would judge you negatively for and i think you need it

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Johny-on-the-Spot posted:

There's no way mad at social media goon can be that upset based on the Facebook posting of their acquaintances. Like seriously, who the gently caress cares that much. There must be something more going on there. Search your soul and find out what's really bothering you, cause once you figure that out, you should be able to observe someone's petty opinion and just laugh and shake it off.

No, it really is the biggest problem in his life, he's just so loving privileged that he doesn't understand that this if this is his biggest problem, his life is loving amazing.

Pretend I posted the Tyler the Creator tweet about cyber bullying.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

For all the bitching about Ghostbusters i enjoyed it. It wasn't a cinematic masterpiece, or even up to par with the originals, but it was fun.

Movies today are mostly fun tho, if you come at them from the angle that it's a creature feature

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
I have a confession. I really didn't think Suicide Squad or Batman vs Superman were that bad. They weren't very good, and were certainly too long, but there seems to be a lot of hate for these movies I really don't understand, did people think they were going to be cinema classics? Also, Ben Affleck is a better Bruce Wayne than Christian Bale.

food court bailiff posted:

imagine being such a broken person you get all pissy and smug like this over someone using a made up buzzword in a slightly different way than you, lmao

:therapy:

It's dumb word man, and it's weird to try and psychoanalyze people based on stupid posts.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I never saw BvS, but I can confirm that Christian Bale was not a good Bruce Wayne.

I liked his Batman but his Bruce needed work. He's too weird and stilted of a person to really communicate "idle rich playboy" particularly well

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I have a confession. I really didn't think Suicide Squad or Batman vs Superman were that bad. They weren't very good, and were certainly too long, but there seems to be a lot of hate for these movies I really don't understand, did people think they were going to be cinema classics? Also, Ben Affleck is a better Bruce Wayne than Christian Bale.

Batman vs Superman was actually good and thank gently caress it was a new look at Batman other than a rehash of what every other movie in the past thirty years has done with the character. Suicide Squad wasn't great but was tons of fun to watch.

So yeah my confession is I think Zack Snyder is a genuinely good director and I like goofy movies.

quote:

It's dumb word man, and it's weird to try and psychoanalyze people based on stupid posts.

You're the one who made a buncha bug-up-your-rear end posts about it, like drat.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Zack Snyder has a really good visual sense, and I think he is pretty good when he adapts other people's stuff. Watchman was really good, dumping the pirate comic stuff, and changing the ending were absolutely the right decision.

Another movie confession: Willow is a better and way more fun film than any of the Lord of the Rings or Hobbit movies.

(I made two posts about it, the second one I admit was pretty smug).

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Really loving garbage movie ideas ITT although willow is dank

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
his films are far too long and frankly i'm surprised we haven't had an anonymous confession from him

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Zach Snyder sucks. Never heard of Willow

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I wanted to see Sucker Punch but then I heard it was bad so I didn't that's my confession.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

P-Mack posted:

I wanted to see Sucker Punch but then I heard it was bad so I didn't that's my confession.

I regularly watch Steven Seagal film 'Fire Down Below' because I enjoy it even though it is objectively terrible. I even have the cinema poster on the wall in my lounge just because it is a talking point for people who enjoy poo poo films.

Well, that's my confession.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

P-Mack posted:

Also haven't seen this movie but from what I've heard it would be much better as a very long music video

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

loquacius posted:

Also haven't seen this movie but from what I've heard it would be much better as a very long music video

That's basically what it is. It's entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Spawn was the only good superhero movie