Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Is it worth getting the SoJ DLC case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Ibblebibble posted:

I didn't really like the case tbh.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Yay! It's been ages since I've played that one. It'd be neat to play it again with (I assume) the same updated graphics they gave to the eShop original trilogy.

Ibblebibble posted:

It's kind of an "all-star" case where they push the nostalgia hard. If that appeals to you, get it. I enjoyed the case, but I didn't think it was nearly as good as the DLC case for Dual Destinies.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yeah basically how much do you want to see Phoenix and Edgeworth on opposite sides of the courtroom again? That's the main reason to grab the SoJ DLC.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The DLC case was... Alright. It wasn't super great, and I thought the defendant was annoying and gross, but there's a character that better fits that time I thought was pretty good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's likely the 3DS AJ will have the same graphics as the recent mobile release, which are similarly traced sprites, but I think they look worlds better than the Trilogy, possibly due to the original art style having a bit higher res.

E: Actually clicked the link and yeah, same graphics, some bad compression on the screenshots but it looks good.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Silver Falcon posted:

It's kind of an "all-star" case where they push the nostalgia hard. If that appeals to you, get it.
Disclaimer: The nostalgia doesn't include Gumshoe. hosed up but true.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, the SoJ DLC is fine, but not a must get like DD's.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

SoJ's DLC does have some fairly funny moments, but overall... yeah, it's not the best case of the game like DD's was.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Gumshoe is dead, let him rest in peace.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Maya is the assistant in the DLC case at least.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Barudak posted:

Gumshoe is dead on an all-expenses-paid eternal honeymoon with his wife Maggey, let him rest in peace enjoy himself.

Fixed. :colbert:

Also, does anyone else hate Mask deMasque as much as I do? I feel like, in general, I have a tendency to hate all the wrong characters (Trucy, Datz Are'bal, etc.).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I won't hear a word against Datz Boi.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Maybe I should just stick to characters I really liked. Dahlia Hawthorne and Morgan Fey owned.

edit: also Amaya or whatever her name was, the one whose son was the white-haired dude who looked like Libra from Fire Emblem Awakening

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Haifisch posted:

Yeah it's hosed up, but you do get Maya as your assistant again, at least.

Waffleman_ posted:

It's likely the 3DS AJ will have the same graphics as the recent mobile release, which are similarly traced sprites, but I think they look worlds better than the Trilogy, possibly due to the original art style having a bit higher res.

E: Actually clicked the link and yeah, same graphics, some bad compression on the screenshots but it looks good.

Great! That's just what I wanted to hear. Looking forward to playing it again.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

YeahTubaMike posted:

Fixed. :colbert:

Also, does anyone else hate Mask deMasque as much as I do? I feel like, in general, I have a tendency to hate all the wrong characters (Trucy, Datz Are'bal, etc.).

I legit didn't enjoy much of JfA, just most cases didn't do it for me and the 2-4's gimmick, while interesting, was not something I enjoyed playing. Mask deMasque instantly made me fall in love with the franchise again.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Haifisch posted:

Ema's Gumshoe esque testimony makes this even more hosed up.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I legit didn't enjoy much of JfA, just most cases didn't do it for me and the 2-4's gimmick, while interesting, was not something I enjoyed playing.

I'm not going to lie -- I still am not entirely sure what happened in that last case. After a while I was just kind of pressing everything and hoping that maybe the weather report would bail me out.

quote:

Mask deMasque instantly made me fall in love with the franchise again.

...what.

Mask deMasque was loving awful, and his hair was stupid. His wife was way too good for him, and I wish the case would have somehow revolved around her instead.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My problem with AA3 is that 3-2 and 3-3 just get in the way of the juicy Hawthorne/Fey drama I was playing for in the first place.

I legit got bored and stopped during 3-2 several times before managing to finish T&T. It didn't help that I kept starting from the beginning so I could remember what I was even doing, but still.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like Ema more than Gumshoe to be honest, but they're both great.

When is Franziska coming back?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

chumbler posted:

I never liked Ema, but in all fairness, I think I disliked her mostly because she wasn't Maya. I need to replay whichever game/s she was in.

edit: Franziska deserves her own game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

YeahTubaMike posted:

I never liked Ema, but in all fairness, I think I disliked her mostly because she wasn't Maya. I need to replay whichever game/s she was in.

edit: Franziska deserves her own game.

Ema is good in 1-5, bad in Apollo Justice, good in Spirit of Justice.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

chumbler posted:

When is Franziska coming back?

Whenever they release the Ace Attorney Tactics RPG

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Apollo Justice is kind of an important part of Ema's arc across the games, so it's weird to say she's bad in it.

Barudak posted:

Whenever they release the Ace Attorney Tactics RPG

No, Ace Attorney musou.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
The SoJ dlc is a Perfectly Generic Case. There is nothing memorable about it, for better and for worse.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Plom Bar posted:

The SoJ dlc is a Perfectly Generic Case. There is nothing memorable about it, for better and for worse.

Yup, in any other game it would be the obligatory throwaway Case 3/4.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

chumbler posted:

No, Ace Attorney musou.
Do Not Pursue Badger Blue

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

chumbler posted:

Apollo Justice is kind of an important part of Ema's arc across the games, so it's weird to say she's bad in it.

Grumpy Snackoo Ema upsets me just as much as it does you i assure you

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Imagine thinking that Grumpy Ema isn't absolutely the best. Just imagine that.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Amppelix posted:

Imagine thinking that Grumpy Ema isn't absolutely the best. Just imagine that.

It's not only a reasonable opinion, but the correct one, hth

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Grumpy Ema is good because she is actually still pretty nice and gets along well with the defence. She just hates her job which is relatable imo.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

KA-TONK

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Grumpy Emma coming right off of the extra case in AA1 was kind of a huge bummer, but it makes her coming back in SOJ even better, imho.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

(She Snackoo-ed me...)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I started on these games through AJ so grumpy Ema was my first experience with her character

She's still the best detective and I hope she's back in 7

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ema rules and I chose to believe Gumshoe is still alive and doing a bad job due to Edgeworth and Wright's chat about Edgeworth's past as an investigator and the inside source whose pay Edgeworth can cut is Gumshoe.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Barudak posted:

Ema rules and I chose to believe Gumshoe is still alive and doing a bad job due to Edgeworth and Wright's chat about Edgeworth's past as an investigator and the inside source whose pay Edgeworth can cut is Gumshoe.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
After getting a pay raise in AAI2, Gumshoe spent all his newfound earnings on lottery tickets and subsequently died of starvation.

RIP Gumshoe.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gumshoe is now mayor of Los Angeletokyo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gumshoe is now Chief of leaking documents to the defense attorney, and as such he no longer has time to investigate specific cases.

He and Edgeworth do 3 for 1 drink night at the book store as its the only way Edgeworth can convince people to hang out with him and its the only way Gumshoe can afford drinks.