Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I just can't bring myself to spend the $700 on the discounted Pixel. Is the g5+ still going to be a significant upgrade from my s6? My s6 is still fine aside from the battery which seems to be declining rapidly. Maybe wait for the g5s plus?

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Google Butt posted:

I just can't bring myself to spend the $700 on the discounted Pixel. Is the g5+ still going to be a significant upgrade from my s6? My s6 is still fine aside from the battery which seems to be declining rapidly. Maybe wait for the g5s plus?

G5 is a really good phone, but I'd guess there might be even bigger Pixel fire sales down the road here.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Google Butt posted:

The G5+ and G5S+ are both using the same Snapdragon 625 CPU so performance between them should be more or less identical. By the numbers it seems to be a not insignificant downgrade from the S6. In real world usage though...

Don Dongington posted:

So my G5+ finally arrived and holy poo poo you don't realise how utterly awful Touchwiz is until you get out do you.

...your mileage may vary.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The only difference Moto is talking about with the G5S is the improve camera and the better build quality with the metal.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Would like to jump on this 200 bucks off pixel phone, but the 2 is around the corner....and it's made by LG. Legit worried about those bootloop issues and asking if I should wait or move on this.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 9, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So if the rumors are right with the all screen iPhone 8 then that makes the Essential look pedestrian

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

incoherent posted:

Would like to jump on this 200 bucks off pixel phone, but the 2 is around the corner....and it's made by LG. Legit worried about those bootloop issues and asking if I should wait or move on this.

It's easy, is it worth $200 to you to take a year off the update/security update windows? If it is then the current Pixel/XL is still the best phone to buy at the high end. Here we are almost a year in and besides the manufacturing flaw with the headphone jack that's been corrected I think it's been issue-free.

The only other factors are the original has a headphone jack and the new one has a different bezel situation. The two unknowns are front speakers and water resistence. If those matter to you factor those in but really it's the support window that you're getting the discount for.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
What would cause Google services to be the second biggest battery percentage user? Almost as much battery as my screen. My phone died today off a full charge, and last week I could get two days out of it.

Moto z force running 7.0

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Jacobus Spades posted:

The G5+ and G5S+ are both using the same Snapdragon 625 CPU so performance between them should be more or less identical. By the numbers it seems to be a not insignificant downgrade from the S6. In real world usage though...

...your mileage may vary.

I went from an S5 with 1.5GB ram to a G5+ with 4GB, so that probably made the lions share of the difference, although the Moto's practically pure android OS is a lot zippier in general.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

always be closing posted:

What would cause Google services to be the second biggest battery percentage user? Almost as much battery as my screen. My phone died today off a full charge, and last week I could get two days out of it.

Moto z force running 7.0

Typically it's an app invoking the OS location service, but it's the location service itself which gets the blame for the battery use, not the app.

e: there's other OS services that can drain battery as well, it's possible to figure it out with some USB debugging stuff. But it can be just as easy to just kill a suspicious app when the battery curve is waterfalling, then see if it flattens out.

Example of battery drain before and after a vampire app gets killed: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689060&pagenumber=811&perpage=40#post470414624

USB debugging stuff: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=470419937

Ola fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 9, 2017

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Got a Pixel, rather nice aren't they?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Ola posted:

Thanks for the tip! It looks like it needs root, yeah, but searching around it looks like I can sniff it out with this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.uzumapps.wakelockdetector.noroot

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1r3VlhZIZVSufZlAeICJet6QBtyAF7z06_ysl1kUKME4/edit#slide=id.p

While Apple is breaking down its walled garden, it seems Google has slowly been building up theirs.

Thanks for this info, I'll monitor today and try some of this out when I get home.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I have two gmail accounts--one personal, one for work. For some reason, my work emails aren't being pushed on my Pixel XL, so unless I manually go to check if I have unread messages, I'll never know. I had one sitting there unread for 2 days without ever getting a notification before I logged on and checked.

Why is this happening? I have notifications turned on for both accounts, I disabled doze, I disabled battery saver, and I'm running out of ideas. Google searching hasn't turned up anything beyond the stuff I've tried. Does this happen to anyone else? Any ideas how to fix it?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I only have one account and Gmail routinely fails to notify me of messages. One will sit there until another comes in and triggers the notification, sometimes half a day later.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Is there any kind of workaround I can do? Like getting an SMS when I receive an email or something... I need to know when I get emails and can't just sit around refreshing the app all day. :-/

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
You could try a third party email app that checks Gmail via IMAP on a set schedule. It's been long enough that I don't really have a good recommendation, though.

e; you might even be able to add your Gmail account manually as an IMAP account in the Gmail app, I've never tried that though.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 9, 2017

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've never had the Outlook app fail to notify me immediately of a work email, though we use Office accounts at work.

You can add your work Gmail account to that app. See if that gives you better updates (assuming the problem is with the Gmail app and not a base problem with Gmail itself).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Outlook is the best mail and calendar app on Android

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Uthor posted:

(assuming the problem is with the Gmail app and not a base problem with Gmail itself).

It is, it's been a really annoying bug with Gmail app for a long time now, like years.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
Have there been any photos of Pixel 2 XL tester models leaked that show if does/doesn't have a headphone jack? I know that the regular Pixel 2 testers have been leaked and that twitter says the XL won't have the jack, but I still stupidly hold out hope.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Let me pose another question.

What would you do with that information, today, rather than whenever the phones are announced?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Let me pose another question.

What would you do with that information, today, rather than whenever the phones are announced?
Charge his headphones and await the apocalypse.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I set up IFTTT to send me a notification when my gmail account gets an email... of course I can't really test it, because now the gmail alerts are actually working. C'mon, Google. Get your poo poo together.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Aranan posted:

I set up IFTTT to send me a notification when my gmail account gets an email... of course I can't really test it, because now the gmail alerts are actually working. C'mon, Google. Get your poo poo together.

Is this a priority inbox thing where the app is sending you notifications only for stuff it thinks is special? I.e. if you go into settings -> your@email -> inbox type and see what it says. Google loves poorly documented poo poo like this.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Aranan posted:

I think it has something to do with when the phone goes into Doze/whatever, even if you set Gmail to be exempt from it, it'll delay push notifications. Because it's true that it isn't always delayed, and I haven't seen any pattern to it except it seems to happen more often when I'm just sitting there. Like often in the mornings, I'll have one or two Gmail notifications, then once I actually pick up the phone and use it a bunch more come flying in.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

FAUXTON posted:

Is this a priority inbox thing where the app is sending you notifications only for stuff it thinks is special? I.e. if you go into settings -> your@email -> inbox type and see what it says. Google loves poorly documented poo poo like this.

It's set for Default Inbox. I also went into the Manage Labels option and made sure Inbox was set to notify.

poo poo is weird.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
You could try Google's other email app, Inbox. Maybe it would work better for you? :google:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I switched to Inbox back when they pushed it with notifications and stuff when it first came out. Now I get notifications in the Gmail web interface saying I should try the improved Gmail Android app since I haven't used it in a while.

Google is a mess.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Amazon just invested $300 mil into Essential.

I really want this not to be a cluster gently caress as I want there to be another good flagship option, but they've missed so many promised dates already.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I do hope it does well, and we see a version 2 eventually. With my "new" Pixel, I'm set for a while. I'm really interested in photo samples from actual reviews.

VV Hangouts was down for maybe 20 minutes last night for me, and I had a little panic attack that the ax had finally fallen. :ohdear:

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 9, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ColdPie posted:

Google is a mess.

They have a thing with releasing competing products/services and just not caring to declare a victory for one or the other at any point before just killing one out of the blue. Wave saw a lot of it's collaboration features show up in the various Google Office services, igoogle was a proto-Now, Google Video vs YouTube (though that was more of an acquisition than in-house) and lol who knows what the plans with their messaging stuff or Fi vs Voice (though they bought that one VoIP service) are gonna be.

Like Hangouts was a solid app when it integrated everything across platforms but then they balkanized it into Allo, Duo, Hangouts, and whatever they're calling SMS now.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Imagine not even knowing if the Pixel 2 will be available to purchase in your country.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Imagine not even knowing if the Pixel 2 will be available to purchase in your country.

Do you live near a real country you can order from and have it shipped?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do you live near a real country you can order from and have it shipped?

I do and that's what I'll probably end up doing, just not super excited about the extra hassle.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Incessant Excess posted:

To be fair, it probably won't be available to purchase even in countries where it's officially for sale.

Thanks Google!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
How do I disable YouTube PiP on a Pixel running O R4? If PiP is running and I sleep the phone then wake it up via fingerprint unlock I get an instant kernel panic reboot. I can find no option inside of YT for PiP.

This is driving me batty.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't run beta OSes on your telephone.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

How do I disable YouTube PiP on a Pixel running O R4? If PiP is running and I sleep the phone then wake it up via fingerprint unlock I get an instant kernel panic reboot. I can find no option inside of YT for PiP.

https://developers.google.com/android/images

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Maker Of Shoes posted:

File a bug report so it doesn't happen to the people who don't install beta OSes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Ice burned in my own thread, shameful.