Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

When Fallout: New Vegas came out I thought the Caesar's Legion was cartoonishly evil, but fast forward 7 years and there are literally misogynist reactionaries cosplaying in lorica segmentata in the streets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

When Fallout: New Vegas came out I thought the Caesar's Legion was cartoonishly evil, but fast forward 7 years and there are literally misogynist reactionaries cosplaying in lorica segmentata in the streets.

Yeah I was upset about the writing making a "moral choice" between a bloated bureaucracy that the game couldn't really find a reason to suggest you support them other than "you should" and unhinged group of marauders that didn't understand the history they were cosplaying as but here we are.

Turns out we're gonna elect someone in 2024 who is secretly my son.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Darkman Fanpage posted:

the purring dunmer

is this a spinoff of the lusty argonian maid

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bushiz posted:

Yeah I was upset about the writing making a "moral choice" between a bloated bureaucracy that the game couldn't really find a reason to suggest you support them other than "you should" and unhinged group of marauders that didn't understand the history they were cosplaying as but here we are.

Turns out we're gonna elect someone in 2024 who is secretly my son.

Well the great thing about New Vegas's writing is that you could always reject those choices in favor of two (technically three) other paths for the world, and that a revolutionary upheaval against all extant powers is still possible.

It's also worth noting that Caesar himself doesn't even believe in the professed ideology of his own faction, and is only using it as a means first to realize his own personal aggrandizement, and to attempt to found a civilization that can last the test of time in a culturally fractured wasteland. That's obviously a kind of cynicism we see over and over again in all of the alt-right's "thought leaders."

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

zegermans posted:

is this a spinoff of the lusty argonian maid

no it's a post found on the village message board written by an altright nord about how cats are making nord women infertile

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Well the great thing about New Vegas's writing is that you could always reject those choices in favor of two (technically three) other paths for the world, and that a revolutionary upheaval against all extant powers is still possible.

It's also worth noting that Caesar himself doesn't even believe in the professed ideology of his own faction, and is only using it as a means first to realize his own personal aggrandizement, and to attempt to found a civilization that can last the test of time in a culturally fractured wasteland. That's obviously a kind of cynicism we see over and over again in all of the alt-right's "thought leaders."

i mean christ it's the same reason donald trump ran as a republican because even if he's not a pious evangelical or hold dear a lot of their ideals he realized it'd be easy to bully and yell his way to the top.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
POWER IS POWER

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
just realized that's a got quote... :negative:

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Darkman Fanpage posted:

no it's a post found on the village message board written by an altright nord about how cats are making nord women infertile

Khajiit is innocent of this crime.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
but not of getting slammed on skooma and pissing all over the tavern rug...

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

zegermans posted:

Khajiit is innocent of this crime.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

How? The rebels are literally Nord supremacists who want to kick out all the other races from Skyrim, and they're treated like a legitimate choice.

Fallout: New Vegas is way more relevant.

The rebels are presented as playing into the Thalmor's hands, and their leader is an impulsive hypocrite who murdered his king by abusing the Voice. They're only legitimate if you hang out with them and never think about anything for a few seconds.

Also the ultimate power in the game is shouting really loud.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
all i know is that dragons are retards

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

The rebels are presented as playing into the Thalmor's hands, and their leader is an impulsive hypocrite who murdered his king by abusing the Voice. They're only legitimate if you hang out with them and never think about anything for a few seconds.

Also the ultimate power in the game is shouting really loud.

They're legitimate because siding with the rebels and overthrowing the Empire has no appreciable consequence on the world, and the Thalmor are ultimately irrelevant to the course of the game's events. By the time the next Elder Scrolls comes out, the Thalmor probably won't exist.

Even taking the two geopolitical sides at face value, the Aldmeri Dominion and Empire merely represent two aristocracies rooted in different forms of supremacism. The former being an empire ruled by elves, and the latter being an empire ruled by men. Whoever wins the geopolitical struggle for Tamriel ultimately doesn't matter, unless you really care about the race of the ruling class.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They're legitimate because siding with the rebels and overthrowing the Empire has no appreciable consequence on the world, and the Thalmor are ultimately irrelevant to the course of the game's events. By the time the next Elder Scrolls comes out, the Thalmor probably won't exist.

Even taking the two geopolitical sides at face value, the Aldmeri Dominion and Empire merely represent two aristocracies rooted in different forms of supremacism. The former being an empire ruled by elves, and the latter being an empire ruled by men. Whoever wins the geopolitical struggle for Tamriel ultimately doesn't matter, unless you really care about the race of the ruling class.

Except the Thalmor want to kill all non-Elves and ultimately destroy the world and cackle about how cartoonishly evil they are while they persecute anyone who worships a god they dislike for being a human, while the Empire is a cosmopolitan empire which used to have literal divine approval.

Which side you pick has no tangible effect on the world of the game because it's an Elder Scrolls game.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'm an orc, so there'd be racism against me whether the empire is one of men or mer.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

Except the Thalmor want to kill all non-Elves and ultimately destroy the world and cackle about how cartoonishly evil they are while they persecute anyone who worships a god they dislike for being a human, while the Empire is a cosmopolitan empire which used to have literal divine approval.

Which side you pick has no tangible effect on the world of the game because it's an Elder Scrolls game.

Killing the emperor doesn't have any tangible effect either

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Killing the emperor doesn't have any tangible effect either

He seems really resigned about being assassinated, iirc.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

Except the Thalmor want to kill all non-Elves and ultimately destroy the world and cackle about how cartoonishly evil they are

But they don't? All I remember from the main quest of the game was that the Thalmor were trying to weaken the Empire by surreptitiously supporting the stormcloaks. The main quest even confirms the fact that the Thalmor have nothing to do with Alduin coming back to devour the world. I skimmed the Elder Scrolls wiki entry on the Thalmor, and there's no hint of any kind of genocidal agenda.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i'm an atheist in a world where the gods literally interefere in the realm of men and mer

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

But they don't? All I remember from the main quest of the game was that the Thalmor were trying to weaken the Empire by surreptitiously supporting the stormcloaks. The main quest even confirms the fact that the Thalmor have nothing to do with Alduin coming back to devour the world. I skimmed the Elder Scrolls wiki entry on the Thalmor, and there's no hint of any kind of genocidal agenda.

Their plan isn't related to Alduin, but an esoteric thing where erasing the effect of men existing lets them go back to the age of legends, which is why they're so intent on a man not being able to be a god.

There's a lot of stuff in books and so forth about the non-crazy Aldmer being freaked about about what they're doing back on the Summerset Isles and their ultimate agenda.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Nah, they ain't got poo poo to do with Alduin, but the Thalmor are extremists that consider the creation of the world, and the deception of the gods by Shor, to be a bad move. They want to destroy the physical realm so they can go back to being awesome spirit things instead of fleshy weaklings that also happen to use magic. Their goal is to destroy the seven, iirc, anchors that keep the physical plane from being torn apart in the turbulent planes of oblivion.

This isn't ever stated in the game, but it's scattered around in the books you find.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

lol@this guy thinking Nords count as human

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
Their main genocidal agenda in the game is enforcing the treaty they forced the Empire into which allows them to go into other people's territory to murder anyone who worships Talos.

Which is also the main point of contention in the civil war.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
Also, the detail on the Thalmor wrecking the Kalpic cycle is Kirkbride lore. CODA goes into depth on this, the actual games not so much.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I didn't know kurt eichenwald posted in /pol/

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

I didn't know kurt eichenwald posted in /pol/

only for "research"

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
actually, if you call them racist or white they explode in indignant rage, hth

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Kjoery posted:

actually, if you call them racist or white they explode in indignant rage, hth

Honestly, it doesn't take much to make them explode in indignant rage, really.

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm an orc, so there'd be racism against me whether the empire is one of men or mer.

This but unironically.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APrBdP0bBJM

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Is that racism sniffing dog account still active on reddit? That's pretty much the best account ever based on the huge rage replies they can get for just posting "woof" basically anywhere.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Is that racism sniffing dog account still active on reddit? That's pretty much the best account ever based on the huge rage replies they can get for just posting "woof" basically anywhere.

lol please show this to me

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Darkman Fanpage posted:

lol please show this to me

It was big back around 2012, and would just reply to racist posts with barking which drove them all nuts. There was a misogyny equivalent gimmick as well, but I don't remember what it was called. Both got a fair amount of play here during the run up to the Pedocaust of that year as I recall. I have no idea if any of them still exist because lol gently caress reddit.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

the most recent good gimmick account was this guy but he hasn't posted in a month

https://www.reddit.com/user/explainsracistjokes

e: see below

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/user/nazi_sniffing_dog 4 years ago

https://www.reddit.com/user/racism_sniffing_dog 6 months ago

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i probably saw it and dont remember it because i was around for the pedocaust on reddit if that's what you're referring to. i do remember during that time goons were running a subreddit called r/shittedditsays that was a depository for all the horrible/creepy poo poo people would post. they really did not like that.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i probably saw it and dont remember it because i was around for the pedocaust on reddit if that's what you're referring to. i do remember during that time goons were running a subreddit called r/shittedditsays that was a depository for all the horrible/creepy poo poo people would post. they really did not like that.

they're still mad at SRS even though it hasn't been active in like 5 years or whenever the reddit.txt thread in DnD got headshotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything