Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

lelandjs posted:

The real question for me is if the titles are going to keep coming or not. It's great that they've frontloaded the console, but what major Nintendo properties haven't been announced yet? All I can think of is Paper Mario, Mario Golf, and F-Zero.

Star Fox
Rhythm Heaven
Every Other Mario Sports game
Pikmin
Mario and Luigi switch game
Donkey Kong
Actual New Mario Kart
Probably another Zelda down the line
Maybe Another Kid Icarus game
Sequels to whatever series have already been out.

There are a lot of series's and things Nintendo can pull from. We don't know how well Switch will eventually sell, but I don't think we can really doubt that Nintendo can and probably will put out a bunch of games on it*.

*Just because you don't care about other games doesn't mean they don't count, either

lelandjs posted:

Also two of the biggest third party Nintendo exclusive series (Layton and Etrian) are pretty reliant on the touchscreen

Switch has a touchscreen.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Bill Barber posted:

Advance Wars is dead. FE killed it.

My tank is fight(ing to marry a girl tank and make good tank babies)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Monster Hunter XX demo is out in JP. Apparently it's playable for folks who can't read Japanese.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Can’t wait for the Switch’s first good game to come out this month!

Yes, Sonic Mania is going to own!!!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ventana posted:

Star Fox
Rhythm Heaven
Every Other Mario Sports game
Pikmin
Mario and Luigi switch game
Donkey Kong
Actual New Mario Kart
Probably another Zelda down the line
Maybe Another Kid Icarus game
Sequels to whatever series have already been out.

There are a lot of series's and things Nintendo can pull from. We don't know how well Switch will eventually sell, but I don't think we can really doubt that Nintendo can and probably will put out a bunch of games on it*.

*Just because you don't care about other games doesn't mean they don't count, either

Switch has a touchscreen.....

I don't see a game that's not a port of an iOS/Android game requiring portable mode, but I suppose it could happen.

But fair point with the list of franchises I'd couldn't think of at the time of my post. Man I would love to have an HD Kid Icarus game (with honest-to-goodness camera controls for the ground sections) on the Switch, but between Project Sora shutting down and Sakurai having to deal with his shoulder problems I'm not expecting one.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ventana posted:

Actual New Mario Kart

What even would be the point? I feel like we are simply past this point for the time being. Until and unless some new generation makes a huge leap in power, to 4K or whatever, MK8 seems good enough, just like smash.

Release mote packs of tracks, karts, and characters, even modes, to add value to MK8DX but why reinvent the core mechanics again? I'm not sure I'd care enough to own 2x MK on the same system

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just found out that not only was Rutger Hauer Zatoichi in the American Zatoichi remake Blind Fury, Rutger Hauer was also robot Yojimbo in the American sci-fi Yojimbo remake Omega Doom

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

What if I told you... Nintendo could make new franchises and new games. Hell, splatoon didn't exist two generations ago and now its a big deal

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

They used up their new franchise opportunity this generation on ARMS

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

My Switch has finished its repair and is being shipped back to me. I will wait for it atop a widows peak like a Victorian wife waiting for her sea captain husband to return from voyage

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Nintendo should just not make any new games and release the VC already

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Project HAMMER when?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. VooDoo posted:

My Switch has finished its repair and is being shipped back to me. I will wait for it atop a widows peak like a Victorian wife waiting for her sea captain husband to return from voyage

Just remember to nail the deliverman un the throat with your whaling harpoon, or they die slow and bleed all over your package.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

lelandjs posted:

But fair point with the list of franchises I'd couldn't think of at the time of my post. Man I would love to have an HD Kid Icarus game (with honest-to-goodness camera controls for the ground sections) on the Switch, but between Project Sora shutting down and Sakurai having to deal with his shoulder problems I'm not expecting one.

Imo, I was mostly expecting any other Kid Icarus game to be something different. Sakurai on KI:U should've shown Nintendo you can pull any old franchise and if you can put in enough good and new designs in it, you can make a success.

The Bloop posted:

What even would be the point? I feel like we are simply past this point for the time being. Until and unless some new generation makes a huge leap in power, to 4K or whatever, MK8 seems good enough, just like smash.

Release mote packs of tracks, karts, and characters, even modes, to add value to MK8DX but why reinvent the core mechanics again? I'm not sure I'd care enough to own 2x MK on the same system

You know that Nintendo has many times released sequels on the same systems, right? Metroid Prime 1/2, M&L Partners in Time vs Bowsers inside story on DS or Dream Team vs Paper Jam and Superstar Saga on 3DS, DKC games on the SNES if you count old Rare, Pokemon Games frequently, Fire Emblem games frequently, 2 Advance Wars games on both the GBA and DS, Super Mario Galaxy 1/2, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, etc. Sequels in franchises can happen regardless of generation differences.

If you personally would be satisfied with no other MK games..then sure? But I'm not listing off my own preferences for sequels, just potential things Nintendo could do based on their history.

If you want a better comparison, I would liken it to something like Twilight Princess on Wii or Breath of the Wild on Switch. Those games were made for the previous generations and were ports on newer systems. I would expect that maybe in 4-5 years or so near the end of the Switch that they'd come out with another game that was built ground up for the console.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Zelder posted:

What if I told you... Nintendo could make new franchises and new games.

Fake news! Nintendo doesn't make any new games, but in fact just remakes the same 2 games over and over and over.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Ventana posted:

Fake news! Nintendo doesn't make any new games, but in fact just remakes the same 2 games over and over and over.

Splatoon 64 was my childhood

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

lelandjs posted:

The real question for me is if the titles are going to keep coming or not. It's great that they've frontloaded the console, but what major Nintendo properties haven't been announced yet? All I can think of is Paper Mario, Mario Golf, and F-Zero.

Ice Climbers
Clu Clu Land
Doshin the Giant
Wrecking Crew
Donkey Konga
Mario DDR
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Pinball
Mario Teaches Typing
Starfy
Picross
Brain Age
Dr. Mario
Puzzle League
Duck Hunt

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Pilotwings could be revamped and go in basically any direction. I'm stunned there wasn't a Wii version, actually.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Clu Clu Land Maker when?!?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Give me more picross

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ventana posted:

You know that Nintendo has many times released sequels on the same systems, right?

I mean, yeah, but those games are actually, like, new. MK is MK. The jumps have pretty much exclusively been generational power advances and MK8DX seems pretty well topped out for what the Switch is likely capable of. It's not like there was a MK sequel on the same system.

It just doesn't seem like it would be enough of a change to generate enough sales to be worth the effort for a mainline AAA game like MK

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Ventana posted:

You know that Nintendo has many times released sequels on the same systems, right? Metroid Prime 1/2, M&L Partners in Time vs Bowsers inside story on DS or Dream Team vs Paper Jam and Superstar Saga on 3DS, DKC games on the SNES if you count old Rare, Pokemon Games frequently, Fire Emblem games frequently, 2 Advance Wars games on both the GBA and DS, Super Mario Galaxy 1/2, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, etc. Sequels in franchises can happen regardless of generation differences.
Absolutely none of those games are anything like Mario Kart. They're all single player games with an arching story. It's kind of dumb to use them as an argument for another Mario Kart.

The more proper comparison would be something like Smash, which has never seen multiple releases in a single generation.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Not a Children posted:

Give me more picross

:yeah: this would be perfect for the Switch.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
JFC I am reminded that I used to own and regularly play Mario DDR.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Devil World
Mario & Wario
Mysterious Murasame Castle
Yoshi's Cookie
Hotel Mario
Mario Clash

Wait, what games am I supposed to be listing?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bill Barber posted:

Absolutely none of those games are anything like Mario Kart. They're all single player games with an arching story. It's kind of dumb to use them as an argument for another Mario Kart.

The more proper comparison would be something like Smash, which has never seen multiple releases in a single generation.

Or, you know, Mario Kart, which has been on 9 Nintendo consoles and never more than once on each.

preemptive
Plus arcade versions and virtual console
:goonsay:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mega64 posted:

Ice Climbers
Clu Clu Land
Doshin the Giant
Wrecking Crew
Donkey Konga
Mario DDR
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Pinball
Mario Teaches Typing
Starfy
Picross
Brain Age
Dr. Mario
Puzzle League
Duck Hunt

...Okay a couple of those are reaches, as much as I'd love a new Mario Picross or Pokemon Pinball I can't see them happening. And if Nintendo didn't make a new Pokemon Snap for the 3DS (which actually had cameras for AR Pokemon Hunting!) then I reaaaaally don't see them making one for the Switch.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
From Software has created the perfect environment for a Faxanadu revival.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Tropical Freeze is one of the greatest video games of all time and I'd be very surprised if we didn't see a new modern DKC iteration for the Switch within the next year.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also would anyone really want to play Ice Climbers or Wrecking Crew 2018? You'd probably get more people bitching about Nintendo not putting the originals up on VC than would actually buy the new games.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Electromax posted:

From Software has created the perfect environment for a Faxanadu revival.

But can they sign Olivia Newton John (and Rutger Hauer to make Guy Goodbody happy)?

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
*leans into mic*
Double Dash

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bill Barber posted:

Tropical Freeze is one of the greatest video games of all time and I'd be very surprised if we didn't see a new modern DKC iteration for the Switch within the next year.

Finally time for DKC to go to space

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

there's also bayonetta/w101/whatever new stuff platinum comes up with for the console. smt in the far flung future

not nintendo properties technically but the promise of those titles got me to buy early

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DLC Inc posted:

Finally time for DKC to go to space

Donkey Kong hops in a rocket to get to the fabled Banana Planet but has to make pit stops at other worlds on the way to refuel his ship.

There you go Nintendo, you can have that one for free.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

I'd be interested in switch sequels to code name steam and project x-zone. Those games had potential to get really good with another iteration.

Also, who owns the rights to The Last Story? I want to see a Last Story 2: Last Storier.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Project X Zone had a sequel on the 3DS, and is technically kind of already a sequel, maybe.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Captain Toad: Ancient Quest when???

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Donkey Konga 3 and Donkey Konga Jungle Beat 2 when?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Bill Barber posted:

Captain Toad: Ancient Quest when???

YEEEEES!

• Locked thread