Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That was a common theme in the series; a replicator could do "good enough" but couldn't fully make the real thing. If you asked a replicator for an apple pie you'd get a decent apple pie based on the rules of what an apple pie was. However, a real apple pie had variables. There's a pretty big difference between taking time to make a hand made apple pie and a machine just conjuring one into existence. It's the difference between home made and processed foods; machines can duplicate a process and make something that is good enough but a real apple pie just like grandma used to make kind of needs the grandma.

What a replicator did in the series was create something that was basically a pattern; if you asked it for whiskey you'd get a liquid that had the overall pattern of whisky. Real creations of such things would have imperfections and differences here and there. The computer would produce whatever it was programmed to think "whiskey" was which might vary dramatically from what Scottie though "whiskey" was. How the machine made an apple pie was probably different from the apple pies you grew up eating.
You know audiophiles? It's like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"This apple pie and has a much more 'smooth' mid range of textures than your replicator swill. All in all I think it's worth the 58k credits,"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That was a common theme in the series; a replicator could do "good enough" but couldn't fully make the real thing. If you asked a replicator for an apple pie you'd get a decent apple pie based on the rules of what an apple pie was. However, a real apple pie had variables. There's a pretty big difference between taking time to make a hand made apple pie and a machine just conjuring one into existence. It's the difference between home made and processed foods; machines can duplicate a process and make something that is good enough but a real apple pie just like grandma used to make kind of needs the grandma.

What a replicator did in the series was create something that was basically a pattern; if you asked it for whiskey you'd get a liquid that had the overall pattern of whisky. Real creations of such things would have imperfections and differences here and there. The computer would produce whatever it was programmed to think "whiskey" was which might vary dramatically from what Scottie though "whiskey" was. How the machine made an apple pie was probably different from the apple pies you grew up eating.

Given real life examples couldn't you work around that? Like instead of having a replica blueprint for whiskey you'd have a blueprint for "Angus MacDuff's Single Malt Scotch Gold, aged 5 years" and so on and so on?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Here, I made this for the Star Trek thread, but it works here too:

They're bitching about the lack of "authentic" food like current hipsters bitch about the lack of "artisanal" fixies.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Given real life examples couldn't you work around that? Like instead of having a replica blueprint for whiskey you'd have a blueprint for "Angus MacDuff's Single Malt Scotch Gold, aged 5 years" and so on and so on?

Everyone's too busy playing in the holodeck to spend time programming all that poo poo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

WampaLord posted:

Here, I made this for the Star Trek thread, but it works here too:

They're bitching about the lack of "authentic" food like current hipsters bitch about the lack of "artisanal" fixies.

Even Sisko admitted the organic tomatoes grown by the Maquis tastes better

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Even Sisko admitted the organic tomatoes grown by the Maquis tastes better

Yes, you're making my point perfectly. Sisko is the type to get irrationally upset over some ruined peppers. He's a total 24th century cooking hipster.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
You're making me think about my all time favourite front page article.

Blue Stripe: The Life and Times of a Replicator Repairman. I still laugh every single time I think about "Cubes started shooting out of it again."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aramek posted:

You're making me think about my all time favourite front page article.

Blue Stripe: The Life and Times of a Replicator Repairman. I still laugh every single time I think about "Cubes started shooting out of it again."

That whole series is really great.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Im always baffled whenever someone expresses the fact that they like something. A song, a movie, a book, a certain type of food, beaches, hiking, video games, etc. Like people are all "Oh I LOVE this thing!" and i'm like "the gently caress????" You actually like stuff? You enjoy stuff? The gently caress??????? How does that even work?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Strudel Man posted:

You know audiophiles? It's like that.

it makes a little more sense if you think replicators are imperfect, like they're the dinky little home 3d printers that can marginally reproduce imitation 'i can't believe it's not delivery' tv dinner versions of whatever you want every day

i'm sure it's not that bad but i could see home replicators being a downgraded version of better energy-matter converters that everyone just gets one of in their room to make instant soup, they probably use better poo poo for replicating replacement parts for the ship or whatever

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That was a common theme in the series; a replicator could do "good enough" but couldn't fully make the real thing.

Is it ever specifically stated that replicators can't do that? Because I think it's just space hipsters practicing cooking as an art form and pretending their stuff is better to look cool.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

it totally could be but i'm sure you could also argue that trek humans have evolved past petty consumerism and the need to feel smug about having to consume artisan hand-crafted gourmet foods so people who make those comments are just genuinely observant or whatever

vvv: plz friend i made a point of saying it could be a downsized home version of better tech, like for example the transporters they reserve a whole room for that also ideally need an engineer to operate, at least as long as those o'brien comics aren't canon

hard counter has a new favorite as of 09:17 on Aug 9, 2017

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

hard counter posted:

it makes a little more sense if you think replicators are imperfect, like they're the dinky little home 3d printers that can marginally reproduce imitation 'i can't believe it's not delivery' tv dinner versions of whatever you want every day

i'm sure it's not that bad but i could see home replicators being a downgraded version of better energy-matter converters that everyone just gets one of in their room to make instant soup, they probably use better poo poo for replicating replacement parts for the ship or whatever

Given they routinely trust the transporter to reassemble every molecule of their brains, I'd say the technology is pretty darn good, and that people who complain about the food are just being pretentious.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
ITT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSBJPCR3Acg
There is no way this machine doesn't produce pizza identical to a hand-made pie cooked by experienced chefs, why would they even make or install it if it offered an inferior product to what you can get at a fine dining establishment? If you disagree, you are just a hipster trying to make yourself look more interesting.
:goonsay:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Given they routinely trust the transporter to reassemble every molecule of their brains, I'd say the technology is pretty darn good, and that people who complain about the food are just being pretentious.

"The assembly rooms Intel uses to manufacture chips are perfectly sterile, that means there can't be food poisoning outbreaks from filthy food processing plants, the technology is there for manufacturing to take place in a perfectly enclosed and controlled environment."

"I've seen industrial grade ovens make a perfect roast, I bet I could get the same results from an Easy Bake Oven, the oven technology is pretty adavanced after all"

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 09:18 on Aug 9, 2017

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It could be the factory settings on the replicators are not quite right and rather than adjust them they instead begin to grow their own potatoes.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I was going to say who cares because it's just magic and does whatever the plot needs it to, but then I realized I probably spent longer sperging about stargate travel and zat guns.

Speaking of, i'll dust off an old unpopular opinion and restate that stargate sg1 and atlantis are better space shows than star trek.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
lexx is the only good space show

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lexx is the only german space show

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Star Trek is boring.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Pretty sure the problem with the replicators is that when you have one make you a piece of apple pie you get the same piece of apple pie every time. No variation, no subtle differences, no tweaks on the recipe. Literally the same piece again and again.

which could be loving solved by having like a few hundred slight variations on apple pie in the database or something

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

We Know Catheters posted:

Star Trek is boring.

And ugly.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Slime posted:

Pretty sure the problem with the replicators is that when you have one make you a piece of apple pie you get the same piece of apple pie every time. No variation, no subtle differences, no tweaks on the recipe. Literally the same piece again and again.

which could be loving solved by having like a few hundred slight variations on apple pie in the database or something

'funnily' enough when current, modern people have these issues - identical data that needs to be randomised for encryption purposes - they use something called a 'salt'. Randomly generated information that modifies existing data, to encrypt it. Adding 'salt' to replicated food would make it more interesting.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I would never get in a star trek style transporter. I don't care how identical the copy of me is, it doesn't change the fact that the me that is me is now dead. It's like cloning yourself and then committing suicide except faster.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I would never get in a star trek style transporter. I don't care how identical the copy of me is, it doesn't change the fact that the me that is me is now dead. It's like cloning yourself and then committing suicide except faster.

It's like going to sleep and waking up. You're not the exact same you that you were last night and the concept of a continuously existing and unchanging "you" exists only in imagination.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I was going to say who cares because it's just magic and does whatever the plot needs it to, but then I realized I probably spent longer sperging about stargate travel and zat guns.

Speaking of, i'll dust off an old unpopular opinion and restate that stargate sg1 and atlantis are better space shows than star trek.

there's a lot of good sci fis like b5, farscape or the outer limits if you like anthology that someone might prefer over star trek yeah but i can sorta see why those shows were a little more niche than trek, i imagine people that liked sg1 still liked star trek well enough but the reverse might not be true

steinrokkan posted:

lexx is the only good space show

alright if you liked lexx right away without learning first how to love it then i admit there are no other shows like it, sci fi or not

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

i think there was that one ep that showed that you were continuously aware during the whole transport experience, i don't know if that makes it better for you or not

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

hard counter posted:

there's a lot of good sci fis like b5, farscape or the outer limits if you like anthology that someone might prefer over star trek yeah but i can sorta see why those shows were a little more niche than trek, i imagine people that liked sg1 still liked star trek well enough but the reverse might not be true

I'm probably in the minority but aside from certain parts of DS9 I just can't get into star trek. It's too slow and the action is too sporadic, and I have an irrational hatred of every holodeck episode, especially when they reenact sherlock holmes stuff in the one with picard. I'm probably in an even smaller minority in saying that my favorite star trek is the new movies.

SG1 was faster paced (in general) and it didn't have the obnoxious "distant future utopia" where everyone generally gets along stuff star trek beats you over the head with.

I did like farscape a lot but I'm not sure where I'd put it in my rankings of scifi shows. With things like stargate (not universe) I can watch it over and over (I'm well over 10 times for SG1 and maybe 5 or 6 for atlantis) and not get bored, but I haven't rewatched farscape even once despite really enjoying it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

my favorite star trek is the new movies.
Huh. So you eat rear end and also talk out of it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

Huh. So you eat rear end and also talk out of it.

I can't help what I enjoy. They are just more fun to watch.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Do they ever do a holodeck episode involving pop culture from after the 20th century cause like 90% of the time it'd be reinacting stuff from the 1700-1900s

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Farscape is good in a weird way. If you can get past the puppets, meandering "story" and bizarre tone, there's some real gold there, like Crichton's relationship with Scorpius and Harvey.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Farscape is good in a weird way. If you can get past the puppets, meandering "story" and bizarre tone, there's some real gold there, like Crichton's relationship with Scorpius and Harvey.

Even the puppets aren't that bad after you get used to them. Pilot for example is a pretty good character. I also like the part about the crackers.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
CRACKERS DON'T MATTER.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

doverhog posted:

It could be the factory settings on the replicators are not quite right and rather than adjust them they instead begin to grow their own potatoes.

I really like this idea that nobody's bothered to take the five minutes to run the calibration software in the history of starfleet.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

hard counter posted:

i think there was that one ep that showed that you were continuously aware during the whole transport experience, i don't know if that makes it better for you or not

to the transported body or to a third party there would be no way to tell that consciousness didn't transfer and the transported body is essentially a new person, because assuming atomic-level congruence it would be "born" with a lifetime of memories. but i strongly suspect that being disassembled and assembled elsewhere would cause the awareness that is "you" to end. the new one is a ship of theseus with all the parts of you except for you.

i'm less sure about legitimate teleportation.

Tiggum posted:

It's like going to sleep and waking up. You're not the exact same you that you were last night and the concept of a continuously existing and unchanging "you" exists only in imagination.

that's not even remotely similar and you're being obtuse for the sake of a metaphysical "whoa dude"

Dross has a new favorite as of 01:34 on Aug 10, 2017

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

quote is not edit

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I agree with dross

Like yes "I" am a composite of mostly carbon and some other elements, but if you vaporize me and then precisely assemble the same exact atomic composition elsewhere, I'm pretty sure my consciousness is still gone and I'm functionally dead, from my own perspective. My perspective being the oblivion of death. There is still an identical simulacrum of me shitposting on intergalactic forums, but that is of little use to the previous, dead me, who will never experience the post-teleportation life that the new copy does.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dross posted:

to the transported body or to a third party there would be no way to tell that consciousness didn't transfer and the transported body is essentially a new person, because assuming atomic-level congruence it would be "born" with a lifetime of memories. but i strongly suspect that being disassembled and assembled elsewhere would cause the awareness that is "you" to end. the new one is a ship of theseus with all the parts of you except for you.

Wrong! You fool! There is an episode of Star Trek The Next Generation in which Lieutenant Barclay maintains consciousness during the transportation process, he maintains consciousness while he's inside the particle beam. That would not be possible if there wasn't some sort of unbroken chain of consciousness from being beamed up to arriving at your destination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Wrong! You fool! There is an episode of Star Trek The Next Generation in which Lieutenant Barclay maintains consciousness during the transportation process, he maintains consciousness while he's inside the particle beam. That would not be possible if there wasn't some sort of unbroken chain of consciousness from being beamed up to arriving at your destination.

again, the reconstructed me would not know the difference.

edit: I'm mentally comparing it to vMotion, sort of.

Dross has a new favorite as of 03:21 on Aug 10, 2017