Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Yeah. Works fairly well, too. It's an option for those who already have office and don't want to download libreoffice or pay for Acrobat.

That has not been my experience. Maybe it had to do with the settings, but I used Office 2016 to convert a 10 page intake form so I could just do it in word. Out of the gate the formatting was turbofucked. Just completely unreadable, giant gaps where there should be spaces, completely worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A ticket went out. By accident! I've been working on the backend coding for our ticketing system to automate some details for outages/work/acts of god, and accidentally sent a few customers an automated outage notice through a bug I hadn't caught ( I'd properly commented out everything that should've gone near actually sending a live ticket, it was just a very edge-case thing that caused it). It was no big thing, I close the tickets out with a "disregard this, it was a test of our system", and the tickets themselves had great big "TESTING" and "This is a test of the ticket system" all throughout them, so you would think there wouldn't be an confusion.

I rock up for my shift the next day, and apparently one of the customers who got one of the tickets actually called us in a panic asking for further details about this sudden outage notification they received... :allears:.

On the plus side, at least I know my coding works.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Inspector_666 posted:

That works, and it smooths out the domain join! Thanks!

I swear I checked that product out earlier for something different and it didn't do what I needed for some reason.

No problem friend.

Back from the long weekend and it's maintenance and project kick off week. I'd rather be busy than bored, but oh boy.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That has not been my experience. Maybe it had to do with the settings, but I used Office 2016 to convert a 10 page intake form so I could just do it in word. Out of the gate the formatting was turbofucked. Just completely unreadable, giant gaps where there should be spaces, completely worthless.

Was your intake form a scanned document, or otherwise a pdf image and not actually a document with text?

Word tries to do some OCR in those situations, but is pretty bad at it.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

My GF told me that at her new job, the owner used to do the schedules in MS paint. She used nothing but the paintbrush tool and hand drew a chart and wrote in everyone's names and times. She didn't even use the erase tool when she had to make changes, she drew over it with white. One of the first things my GF did was dump that stupid loving schedule and make her own in MS word instead of excel UGH

I know this thread gets off on people using the wrong tool for the job but seriously what the ever living gently caress, MS paint for a schedule is a new one to me.

Man, she's gonna be hosed when Microsoft kills off MSPaint in the next big patch

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Migishu posted:

Man, she's gonna be hosed when Microsoft kills off MSPaint in the next big patch

That's not happening at all though, not even in the original plan.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Fool posted:

Was your intake form a scanned document, or otherwise a pdf image and not actually a document with text?

Word tries to do some OCR in those situations, but is pretty bad at it.

I don't remember, it was maybe 6 months ago at this point.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Well poo poo.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

GreenNight posted:

Well poo poo.

oops

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

GreenNight posted:

Well poo poo.

We use Gen... 6? Proliants for our two VM hosts. I noticed that after a restart it was losing some of the VM settings and it turned out to be a screwed up SD card. Once that was swapped out things were normal again.

EDIT: Two SD cards? Guess mine are too old for that.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 8, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

One busted sd card is fine, that is why there are two. Both at the same time? Gotta get warranty replacements and re-install ESX. Good thing we have an ESX cluster.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GreenNight posted:

Well poo poo.

I feel like HP should have changed the color of failed message to make it stand out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/powershell/module/ :toot:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Well that is a hell of a bookmark.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Holy poo poo thank you for this.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Wow, this is a thing, a real good thing, it's so good, I can't even describe how good, it is the best.

Anyway, thanks for the link, this is loving awesome.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Thanks, Ants

Thants

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Thank Zantz!

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Amazing! Thank you for linking this!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Doesn't include the ActiveDirectory module or Exchange management :(

But definitely bookmarked.
In fact, setting it up as a search keyword in Firefox will be useful, so I can just type "ps get-item" in the address bar to search it!

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

nielsm posted:

Doesn't include the ActiveDirectory module or Exchange management :(

Yeah noticed the same thing. It is very useful so hoping they will keep adding modules to it.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?
A call came in. One that would have been much easier if I had access to proper admin tools.

Mr Wikstroem: Welcome to CompanyX IT-Support, you are speaking to Mr Wikstroem. How may I help you?
User: I have changed my password and I need help updating it on my phone.

This is easy enough. We use Exchange for our email and while the password change procedure on the phones we have might not be immediately obvious it's easy enough once you know how and you can definitely guide someone through it via phonecall if you know which of the types of phone we offer they are on.

Mr Wikstroem: Ok, what type of phone is it you have?
User: It's a Samsung

We have had only Samsung phones as workphones for as long as I've worked here with the exception of one location that uses iPhones for some god forsaken reason so this doesn't help me that much.

Mr Wikstroem: Is it a newer phone? Big, black with silver edges?
User: Yes, I got it earlier this year.

Good, this means it's a J5 of some description and those are easy to guide people through.

Mr Wikstroem: Ok, so I need you to open the email app.
User: I can't find it.
Mr Wikstroem: It should be right there on the main menu unless you've moved it.
User: It's not there.
Mr Wikstroem: Well, if you go into applications and then the Samsung folder you should have an icon for it.
User: Yeah, there it is.
Mr Wikstroem: Excellent. Now if you go into the settings and go to the very bottom you'll find "Exchange Server Settings" and there you'll be able to update your password.
User: I doesn't work.
Mr Wikstroem: What does the message say?
User: "Authentication failed"

Now this can mean many things but most commonly is that they've waited for too long before updating the phone and the failed attempts to log in by the phone has locked their account. The simplest way to check if this is so is to log out and then try to log in again. If it says the account is locked you just unlock it via the link on the login screen. And if it's not a locked account then the user has typed either the wrong accountname or password.

Mr Wikstroem: No worries, your account is probably locked.
User: But I am logged in right now, the only thing that's happening is that Outlook keeps asking for my password.

Which is exactly what happens when the account is locked. You don't get kicked out if it locks while you're logged in, you just lose access to your email and it starts prompting for credentials.

Mr Wikstroem: Yes, that sounds like a locked account. What I want you to do is to log out and then try to log in again and it will tell you if the account is locked or not.
User: Alright I'm logging out now. *a few seconds pass* Okay, I've logged back in now.

At this point i'm a bit surprised. Logging in and out is usually not that quick but it's not unheard of. Since the account is not locked she's probably typed her password wrong.

Mr Wikstroem: Ok, so that means your account is not locked. Could you just check that the password you're typing into your phone is the right one? It's very easy to accidentally type the wrong letter or number when entering it on a phone.
User: It's the correct password.
Mr Wikstroem: And you've pressed "Show password" so you can confirm that it's correct?
User: Yes I have.

This is the point where I go through each thing she has to enter and makes sure that it's all spelled correctly etc. It was.

Mr Wikstroem: Well, I'm going to have to call you back since I need to check with the server people to see if there's something weird going on with your account since you can log in on the computer but not on the phone.

So I call our service provider to make sure that we have the right username for exchange login and such. The user in question has a non-standard name and when that's the case then the service provider has been known to chuck all standards out the window in favor of the wild west approach. No dice, it's the right username. I am all but certain at this point that she's typing the password wrong but calling the user a lying incompetent is not very service minded so I call her back and hope to think of something new during the call.

Mr Wikstroem: Hello, it's Mr Wikstroem from IT-support
User: My account is locked now

This confirms that we have the right username since otherwise it wouldn't have gotten locked from too many failed tries.

Mr Wikstroem: Okay, let's go through the steps to get it unlocked then. There's a link underneath the password field that you can click on where it says "Reset password"
User: There is no such link
Mr Wikstroem: Are you sure? It's usually right underneath the password entry field.
User: I am sure
Mr Wikstroem: You were on a laptop and not one of the thin clients right?
User: That is correct.

This is most peculiar, I have never heard of that link not being there on a login screen but she is adamant that it is not there. We get the account unlocked by the super duper method of me requesting the reset from my computer and she giving me the code from the sms she got.

Mr Wikstroem: Okay, now that the account is unlocked could you try updating your password on the phone one more time?
User: It still says "Authentication failed"
Mr Wikstroem: Do you have another phone you can try to add your account to so we can confirm that it's not the phone that's broken?
User: There are no other phones here.

At this point I'm just about ready to throw in the towel and I've given up all hope of keeping up best practices.

Mr Wikstroem: Would it be acceptable to you to give me your password and I'll try it on my phone?
User: Okay, I'll mail you the password. What's the address?
Mr Wikstroem: It's itsupport@companyx.se
*sound of typing*
User: Oh, that's probably why...
*pause*
User: Wait, I'm just gonna try one more time to update the password on the phone.
*time passes*
User: It works now.
Mr Wikstroem: :shepicide:

TL;DR: Users are incompetent and cannot even type their own passwords properly.

Mr Wikstroem fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 9, 2017

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Mr Wikstroem posted:

A call came in. One that would have been much easier if I had access to proper admin tools.
-snip-

This thread has helped me come up with "service" friendly responses to common user errors.

"The temporary password we send is case sensitive, and of a particular format <format>. If they're logging in from a phone, sometimes they can capitalize or not capitalize against user intention.."

T1: "THEY PUT EVERYTHING IN RIGHT I CHECKED"
:v: : Direct them to <site> and enter <data1>, <data2> and <data3> exactly as shown.
T1: "Oh, it works."

My most recent favorite idiot user was "They swear they have to choose a new password every time they log in!"
:v: : Okay, well I see from the access logs that they've logged in a total of 9 times over 4 years. There is a large gap between a successful login, and a failure, which then corresponds to our records of when we sent them a password reset. We don't change the user's password without direction, once they choose a permanent one they should not need to change it."

I really wanted to put "I can't help this idiot remember their password, I'm sorry."

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

DelphiAegis posted:

I really wanted to put "I can't help this idiot remember their password, I'm sorry."
"Yeah but you're an IT person, you should know my password!" - said everyone ever

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
"Hey WOTBK, I know next Friday is your last day. How long will it take for you to knowledge transfer SCCM to someone? Better part of a day?"

:lol:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

"Hey WOTBK, I know next Friday is your last day. How long will it take for you to knowledge transfer SCCM to someone? Better part of a day?"

Sure no problemo! "SCCM stands for System Center Configuration Manager! Well that was easy, seeya!"

<fucks off to the bar>

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I am put in my notice and had to have this discussion with my boss. No, I can't train someone to be me. I can show them where things are and show them documentation, but I am not going to be able to make one of my team members be me in two weeks. He has been a little salty about this today and took it personal.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Yeah, I could see maybe explaining a PIECE of SCCM in detail since we use it for pretty much all the functions it offers and not just one, but seriously.

I can't wait until one of my friends working here calls me to tell me about all the fuckups when I'm gone. Reboots happening in the middle of the day is virtually guaranteed.

vosk
Jul 28, 2005

THE PRODIGOON SON

Yeah, I could see maybe explaining a PIECE of SCCM in detail since we use it for pretty much all the functions it offers and not just one, but seriously.

I can't wait until one of my friends working here calls me to tell me about all the fuckups when I'm gone. Reboots happening in the middle of the day is virtually guaranteed.

I was part of something like that earlier this year.
mgmt: hey you need to set up SCCM for this environment, go book a morning with the SCCM guy and learn how to do it.
me: uhhhh
SCCM guy: uhhhh
mgmt: needs to be done in two days.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

As someone who is more on the programmer side of things, how long would setting up SCCM take in an average case (if such a thing exists).

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I have only touched pieces of SCCM, so I'm not sure. Just spinning up some of the smaller capabilities took me a couple days to get through.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

It requires a schema extension and security changes in Active Directory (in every domain you intend to manage), a sizing/resourcing exercise as part of planning, and an understanding that a agent is going to be deployed to every single machine you intend to manage with the platform. You really need to understand it well before you implement just so you don't shoot yourself in the foot later.

The actual implementation time isn't terrible; you could "setup" SCCM in a day or two. The planning phase is more time consuming if you want to do it right. Oh, and be sure to understand your client licensing before you decide to throw the client at servers!

I also say all of this as a dude that lives and breathes the platform, so I imagine someone fresh to it would struggle quite a bit and would probably recommend professional services in some capacity for the initial implementation if you intend a full rollout.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 9, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We hired consultants to put in SCCM. It took half a day, so not too bad. That included SQL and rolling out the client to everyone. Spent a full day assisting and teaching me how to build task sequences and setup imaging.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

If you have a small-shop and are only setting up a single standalone primary site server you'll be done before lunch.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
A few dozen tickets came in...

Nobody can get into our ERP system, and we can't log into the service account.
Come to find out the vendor was in the process of restoring a database from 2 years ago to our live environment, just minutes before our hourly differential backup.
Best case scenario; everyone loses an hours worth of work. I sure hope everyone remembers what they did for that last hour in our ERP system.

The vendor's response? "Oops. I'm sorry."

mewse
May 2, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

vendor was in the process of restoring a database from 2 years ago to our live environment

Nice

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Come to find out the vendor was in the process of restoring a database from 2 years ago to our live environment, just minutes before our hourly differential backup.
Best case scenario; everyone loses an hours worth of work. I sure hope everyone remembers what they did for that last hour in our ERP system.

The vendor's response? "Oops. I'm sorry."

Ugh. We don't let vendors on any production servers.

You should still be able to do a point in time recovery using archive logs. Should LOL.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Why do you let vendors gently caress with your production systems without supervision? :psyduck:

We don't even let vendors touch our test systems without someone babysitting them.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Collateral Damage posted:

Why do you let vendors gently caress with your production systems without supervision? :psyduck:

We don't even let vendors touch our test systems without someone babysitting them.
Because they're the only ones who know how the system works, and they don't have anyone in-house who knows anything about the production system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Even more of a reason to have someone watch them so they can learn.

• Locked thread