Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Coq au Nandos posted:

These are dumb and good, keep it up

I'm glad someone's liking 'em! Expect a lot over the next few days, as I'm stuck with my laptop for the time being.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWVDfBmsihs

In fact, here's one now! It features my favorite monster-of-the-week thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

AzraelNewtype posted:

You're basing this on what, exactly?

The comments under the last post, where someone actually said "hey do you guys think you'll finish this before you get lapped by SF" and the response was that ASCII shrug.
And then eight months went by and they never posted another.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
Normally I don't tend to post stuff here that I've released since I'm usually just slapping existing subs on better sources, but being that this is new Kamen Rider W stuff, I thought I'd mention that the first chapter of Fuuto Detective is out now. Torrent and one DDL mirror is on my site (http://live.ozc-anime.com/2017/08/kamen-rider-w-fuuto-detective-chapter-1/) and the team page and some other DDLs are at https://fuutotantei.tumblr.com/

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA7OM-jypZ8

Here's one of the first ones I made, the saga of the POWER EGGS

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 9, 2017

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Craptacular! posted:

The comments under the last post, where someone actually said "hey do you guys think you'll finish this before you get lapped by SF" and the response was that ASCII shrug.

As the someone who posted the shrug, the person who asked is a notoriously dense man who only ever makes these questions all the time, and a shrug is the best answer I can give to any of his questions, specifically, without devolving into an anxious mass of rage

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ignis posted:

As the someone who posted the shrug, the person who asked is a notoriously dense man who only ever makes these questions all the time, and a shrug is the best answer I can give to any of his questions, specifically, without devolving into an anxious mass of rage

Hey, OverTime's in the thread!

Thank you so much for everything you do. Your subs are good.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thank you so much for everything you do. Your subs are good.
:yeah:

And no worries about the grief we give you about stuff, subbing's hard work.

Any news on if you guys'll be picking up Build?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Craptacular! posted:

"They."

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh. I see how it is.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

PMush Perfect posted:

Any news on if you guys'll be picking up Build?

I think they make that call when the first ep airs, if I'm remembering the time line for Ex-Aid correctly.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

AzraelNewtype posted:

Oh. I see how it is.

You! You're part of OverTime! I repeat: thank you!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Double manga is good so far.

Didn't expect Boob but I'm not complaining. I may have messed up in opening the file, but the one I torrented seems to be missing a page. The first color page in the actual magazine isn't the Fuuto spread, but a page of the Witch standing over a dismembered body and holding a hand, which sets up the twist later and the final confrontation. Still solid tho, can't wait to read the next chapter and see how they'll be transforming on page.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Double manga is good so far.

Didn't expect Boob but I'm not complaining. I may have messed up in opening the file, but the one I torrented seems to be missing a page. The first color page in the actual magazine isn't the Fuuto spread, but a page of the Witch standing over a dismembered body and holding a hand, which sets up the twist later and the final confrontation. Still solid tho, can't wait to read the next chapter and see how they'll be transforming on page.
That first part probably shouldn't be spoiled, the manga contains nudity in it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Just seeing that hat rack and the ugly kitchen made my heart jump a bit. I didn't realize how much I missed this place. Really felt like coming home to Fuuto.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Working on catching up still, just finished Ex-Aid 23. If I didn't know there's still half a show left, I'd be kind of disappointed. I feel like there's been a lot of missed opportunities so far that a more fleshed-out first half could have taken. Like we're speedrunning the plot beats that the show is expected to take, but not really giving us a clear through-line of where it's going.

I'm also very glad that other people are saying it pays off, because if I didn't know that, I probably wouldn't be motivated to finish it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

PMush Perfect posted:

Working on catching up still, just finished Ex-Aid 23. If I didn't know there's still half a show left, I'd be kind of disappointed. I feel like there's been a lot of missed opportunities so far that a more fleshed-out first half could have taken. Like we're speedrunning the plot beats that the show is expected to take, but not really giving us a clear through-line of where it's going.

I'm also very glad that other people are saying it pays off, because if I didn't know that, I probably wouldn't be motivated to finish it.

The speedrunning of plot beats makes a lot more sense like several episodes later, when poo poo gets weird. poo poo gets extremely weird, and plot threads that you thought might have been hastily resolved were actually just loaded into the Weird Chamber.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

OZC posted:

Normally I don't tend to post stuff here that I've released since I'm usually just slapping existing subs on better sources, but being that this is new Kamen Rider W stuff, I thought I'd mention that the first chapter of Fuuto Detective is out now. Torrent and one DDL mirror is on my site (http://live.ozc-anime.com/2017/08/kamen-rider-w-fuuto-detective-chapter-1/) and the team page and some other DDLs are at https://fuutotantei.tumblr.com/

Yo, nice job on this. It was a fun read, and yeah, there's gratuitous titty drawing in it, but aside from that it still was a fun read.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

AzraelNewtype posted:

"They."

Oh. I see how it is.

Hey man I knew it's these goddamn kids these days

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I vaguely remember O-T crew had the subs all ready for a good batch, but the DVDs were a bitch to work with. Still true?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Well I just finished watching Gamera: Guardian of the Universe.

It was okay. I spoiled myself by watching the original Gojira, and well, this didn't hold a candle to that. Or to the Ultraman stuff I've been watching, honestly. (Outside of Ginga) - I mean, the miniature sets were great, the monster fights were fun to watch, but the people had basically no character, the mystery was, eh, and the military was stupid just for stupid's sake. The only real message was "hey climate change is bad, stop polluting the environment", and just.... what was the point.

I'm being more down on it than I probably need to be, but, well, I feel like I should've just stopped after Gojira and watch Mebius these last hours instead. Ah well!

(Also, is Gamera / Godzilla / etc toku? I assume so, but I'm not sure if there's a split between toku shows and kaiju shows.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kaiju movies are tokusatsu. In Japan, the term is used for most things containing heavy special effects, while our usage in English primarily refers to the henshin hero genre.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In fact, I'm pretty sure Godzilla more or less invented the genre, though Ultraman and Kamen Rider are what shaped it into what it is today.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ah, cool!

In that case: watch Gojira, it's legitimately a great film even if you don't care about Godzilla himself.

Only watch Gamera Guardians of the Universe if you want to watch a rocket turtle fight a bird while a bunch of people run around.

And while I'm here - are there any other big Kaiju films I should be looking for? Aside from Shin Godzilla.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here's the thing.

When people talk up the Heisei Gamera trilogy, they're talking up 2 and 3.

The first one is okay, but Gamera looks like a muppet and the action is fairly good but not great. It stands out because literally every Gamera film before it is dreadful. All of them. The best Gamera Showa film is only barely as good as Godzilla VS Megalon, and don't look nearly as good.

So definitely give 2 and 3 a shot. 3 in particular is very apocalyptic. 3 is arguably the best of the three, but 2 has some things that lead directly into it, and one of the most unique monsters in the genre.

And yes, Gojira 1954 is just straight up a Good Goddamn Movie, one of the best films ever made, giant monster or otherwise. It's also extremely modern in its pacing and character work.

Tsuburaya is the creator of Tokustasu, and that all began with Godzilla.

Return Of Godzilla/Godzilla 1984 is an excellent film as well, running in the same vein as 54 and Shin. The American dub not as much, but you know how that can go.

One of my all time personal favorites is Godzilla VS MechaGodzilla 1974. It's just an excellent kids movie. Godzilla VS Destroyah would be good to follow up from Return and is arguably the fourth best made movie in the franchise. Maybe fifth depending on how you rank Godzilla VS Mothra 1964

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

That first part probably shouldn't be spoiled, the manga contains nudity in it.

Yeah, OZC and the translators should probably warn about that in the blog post so you don't accidentally read that in the wrong environment. Also a bit weird to have in a manga sequel to a show with modern Kamen Rider's demographics.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

gourdcaptain posted:

Yeah, OZC and the translators should probably warn about that in the blog post so you don't accidentally read that in the wrong environment. Also a bit weird to have in a manga sequel to a show with modern Kamen Rider's demographics.

Good call. I'll add a warning to the post on it.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I may have messed up in opening the file, but the one I torrented seems to be missing a page.

That's odd. The only thing I can think of is that maybe that was the page we had it open to the last time we opened the file before I generated the torrent and it remembered that it was on that page for anyone that opens the CBZ. I'll try and make sure to close it on the first page in the future in case that's what happened. Spoke to Crt and he forgot to include the page entirely, and I misunderstood what you meant about the color page. We're gonna do a v2 release with a few typos corrected and some other minor tweaks, so we'll get that missing page added back in before the next chapter is out.

OZC fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 9, 2017

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

This is out of order, but I'm so happy with it I'm posting it right now. Please enjoy Episode 10: Knasty Knight 2000.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 10, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
as a kid, i had a vhs of godzilla vs. mechagodzilla that my siblings and i dearly loved. it didn't inspire an interest in toku or giant monsters, though.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Inframan was the vhs tape that inspired a lifelong love of toku for me. It was so amazing and awe inspiring to me as a young lad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/kuzurider/status/895003299497332736

If I was a Rider, my henshin pose would be a dab.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm remaking episode 10.
GIVE ME YOUR MONEY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68TFCYoPbDM

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Catching up on Ex-Aid, it's improved as much as people said! Not sure if anybody else got a little bothered by this exchange in ep 24, though:

Emu: I have three great friends that help me fight bugsters. Hiiro, Taiga...
Poppy: (looks hopeful)
Emu: ...and my super-dead pal Kiriya!
Poppy: Dude, come on. RIGHT HERE.

EDIT: Wait hold on, what the gently caress is with this episode all of a sudden.

Eponymous fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 10, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Eponymous posted:

I just saw that, too.

"gently caress you, Poppy, you are less important to our current efforts than the dead guy."

Edit Oh my god is the new President voiced by the W belt guy? :allears:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 10, 2017

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Oh my god, the evil secret megaweapon is Pokemon Go.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

For those curious, I went and saw the new Kyuranger/Ex-Aid movies today and I have OPINIONS! Overall, it was much better experience than Super Duper Hero Wars. All spoilered, but I don't give away all the plot details.

Kyuranger The Movie: Ridiculous fun. Champ gets to drop kick a guy in a wresting ring and then three count him. Shao's "death" is a bit silly since it obviously doesn't stick and they only address his survival in a quick throaway line. But in Kyuranger fashion, even that is great, since he claims that after being shot in the chest and thrown into space, he "paddled his way through space until Tsurugi found him." Which Naga immediately claims must be a lie and makes the most amazing disgusted face. Then blah blah they get a new giant robot and turn the Earth into a giant Kyutama rocket and win. Good stuff.

Ex-Aid True Ending: Not at all the true ending, but SO GOOD YOU GUYS. They set you up with the dark, sad previews only to have some of the best comedy in a while. Long story short, they end up in a little girl's perfect world VR thing at her school Sports Festival because of course, but surprisingly it is a Movie Original Child who doesn't make me hate the film because it drags in Taiga, Nico, and Hiro and it's incredible. Taiga starts the races but he just says bang rather than firing the gun, Nico is one of the students which is both cute and creepy, and Hiro is the girl's adorable doting father who cuts a pizza but has his catch phrase changed to "There isn't any picture I can't take."

Then of course it goes to poo poo and there's fighting and some plot twists with Johnny Maxima and the girl's dad which leads to some cheesy but genuinely heart felt moments that almost got some tears out of me. Good, cute stuff.

Build Cameo: He is so loving cool you guys. The belt voice is perfect and he has so much personality! He confirms Ex-Aid's identity then breaks his name down in Japanese to explain it, "extreme aid," then does it again for his introduction. I hope he gets to do that with other Riders too, it's a good gag. The cameo takes place after the movie ends, it's a separate scene. He ends up stealing Emu's Ex-Aid form with a Full Bottle then leaves with a sassy English "See you!" Love it. I imagine that'll come into play in the final episode if they do a Build crossover. Looking forward to it!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh my god, please tell me this Taiga/Niko thing stays as a pseudo father/daughter relationship. Please tell me that this Tokimeki thing isn't a hint at it being romantic.

Please.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Not at all the true ending

Actually it is, the OP singer confirmed on his website that the movie takes place a year after the tv show ends. Which is kinda hilarious because the show is trying to spin that as a mystery, and the singer already spilled the beans :v:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh my god, please tell me this Taiga/Niko thing stays as a pseudo father/daughter relationship. Please tell me that this Tokimeki thing isn't a hint at it being romantic.

Please.

depends on how much you want to read into them being based on Black Jack and Pinoko i guess

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Finally put the finishing touches on this thing and I'm absurdly proud of it. I give you Knasty Knight 2000, but moreso.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ignis posted:

Actually it is, the OP singer confirmed on his website that the movie takes place a year after the tv show ends. Which is kinda hilarious because the show is trying to spin that as a mystery, and the singer already spilled the beans :v:

Haha! Well, gently caress me then, that is adorable and really cool! That makes a lot of sense though, my Japanese isn't great so I didn't understand this at the time- Cronus and Chronicle aren't involved in the movie at all, which I found confusing but just attributed to it being a non-canon movie. In the movie, they go to meet the new president of Genm and it's the BurgerMon creator! Plus Taiga and Nico have their own little clinic at the end, so I assume he's going to get his license back by the end of the show.

It also makes sense since Kuroto goes from 2 lives to 1 during the movie, but he has I think 4 left after the Mighty Doctor sequence? So we get to see him die two more times then. That also fits with the interview I read earlier where the actors talked about how they shot this earlier so they had to work hard to make things like Dan's life total and Parad's redemption work in the movie even though they shot it before that stuff happened in the series.

God drat, Ex-Aid is a really well put together show. Kind of funny that they'd technically spoil some things about the last arc by doing that, although it's nothing major I guess.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Eponymous posted:

This worked better if you watched the Lazer supplemental episode between 23 and 24, where Emu goes in a VR simulation, meets a virtual backup of Kiriya in his chibi suit and together they beat a viral trap laid by Dan (represented by a silent Genm level 2).

• Locked thread