Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

hot date tonight! posted:

You could try Google's other email app, Inbox. Maybe it would work better for you? :google:

I forgot that Inbox was even a thing. I'll try that as well. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inbox owns and I depend on it now

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

bull3964 posted:

Let me pose another question.

What would you do with that information, today, rather than whenever the phones are announced?

I'm trying to determine if I should RMA my 6P or wait it out and buy a 2XL.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

RMA regardless, I mean, you want the phone to be functional to be able to sell it for more, right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Andy Rubin assuring people they are actually manufacturing the phones with pictures.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Arubin/status/895357116277342208

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Wax Dynasty posted:

I'm trying to determine if I should RMA my 6P or wait it out and buy a 2XL.

I just got an RMA "exception" on my 8 months out of warranty 6P two days ago without having to push for it at all. Do it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What does inbox do better than the Gmail app?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PerrineClostermann posted:

Automatically categorizes your poo poo and allows you to sweep everything into archive (absent anything you pinned) with a single button. It's shockingly good at the categorizing too.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I think inbox is for people that get a fuckton of emails and haven't put in any effort to categorize their email already. Personally I hated it when I tried it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Not at all? It has categories and whatnot too, I just find it to be a much more fluid and efficient interface for email, and I enjoy using it. Gmail I find a chore.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

I hope "works" is the answer.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I love inbox. I have it set up so I only get notified about certain categories (only if it's something that might need a response).

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It's ... different. Do I need to go through all my old email and Mark it as DONE to get the most out of this? I assume it's an "empty inbox" type of setup?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Aranan posted:

It's ... different. Do I need to go through all my old email and Mark it as DONE to get the most out of this? I assume it's an "empty inbox" type of setup?

No. "Done" "archives" it, it removes it from your inbox and puts it in the "done" category. It literally means "I'm done with this email, category, or conversation".

Yes, I agree that Inbox is an empty inbox type of setup. At least that's how I successfully use it!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Snoozing in inbox is great.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah I love Inbox. Took a little while to get used to, but it takes Gmail's innovative auto-categorization stuff and runs with it. It reliably does a good job surfacing just enough information about my junk mail that I don't feel like I might accidentally miss out on something, without making it too hard to dismiss it with one easy gesture. It's much better than what Microsoft is trying to do with Outlook, where way too much interesting stuff piles up in the "Other" view.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What if I don't categorize my emails at all? Is Inbox still useful?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

hooah posted:

I don't categorize my inbox or delete/archive anything, and I'm not super fond of it. I use it when I need to snooze something, which I usually access via the notification shade. I rarely open the app because I prefer to see my inbox as-is, so I use the GMail app.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

hooah posted:

Thats the whole point of inbox, it does it for you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Gmail still has Social and Promotions, but yeah I believe Inbox has more.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Internet Explorer posted:

Gmail still has Social and Promotions, but yeah I believe Inbox has more.

It has those.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
My wife's Verizon galaxy s5 updated overnight, and now when she trys to look at web pages in chrome they load all hosed up and with broken tables.

I tried to update the apps but when I go to update apps it just says checking for apps and never stops spinning. When I click on the next tab to look at installed apps it says that authentication is required, and to sign in, re-trying does nothing.

I think all the other apps are working fine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Aranan posted:

You're right, the goal of Inbox is that you'll have nothing in it except that which needs to be acted upon.

Google looks at email (at least from their blog posts about Inbox) as kind of a to-do list. Conversations can be informative (tracking notifications, bills, receipts, hotel and flight bookings, etc) or calls to action.

So what it seeks to do is automatically categorize those things, surface information about them to the inbox itself when applicable, and allow you to easily see things that require your action. It does this by having bills show you all the info you'd want right on the inbox (due date, amount) or showing links directly to tracking information (like GMail does but nicer looking). For things requiring action it can have timed or geofenced reminders, or even snooze the email for later attention.

Either way the whole point is that you do what needs to be done with it and make it disappear. If you've got 15,000 emails in your inbox now it's probably not going to do a great job helping you catch up. It's definitely good at keeping you caught up though.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

LastInLine posted:

.... If you've got 15,000 emails in your inbox now it's probably not going to do a great job helping you catch up. ....

Do you mean to imply you...delete emails?! :stonk:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Guys, we've got yet another messaging app: Youtube!

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Do you mean to imply you...delete emails?! :stonk:

You can also archive emails which I do. I only have 5 emails in my inbox atm.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I... That... But... What?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lowen SoDium posted:

I... That... But... What?

there's no point in even trying to understand because google's relationship with messaging services is some deeply jungian poo poo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Could be Google competing with Facebook's new video service to have feature parity?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I mean, sure. Why not. Instagram has a chat feature, it's fine for just sharing content on that platform a little more quickly.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Vykk.Draygo posted:

NO SMS SUPPORT NO DEAL

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I fukken love having to open 43 apps to tailor the type of communication i want

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

vyst posted:

I fukken love having to open 43 apps to tailor the type of communication i want

I'm still bitter that they took away Hangouts for SMS messages.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm still bitter that they took away Hangouts for SMS messages.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I still get Google Voice SMS in hangouts, which is weird.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

I still get Google Voice SMS in hangouts, which is great. :smug:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

If you've got 15,000 emails in your inbox now it's probably not going to do a great job helping you catch up. It's definitely good at keeping you caught up though.

I didn't switch to Inbox with a bunch of emails in my inbox (weird phrase there), but wouldn't it put those 15,000 emails into categories when you switched?

If so, then it might help you get through those 15,000 emails by letting you click the big "im done" checkmark on categories like "Promos".

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I should be clear, it's just stuff sent to/from my voice number. My actual device's SMS do not show up.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

I should be clear, it's just stuff sent to/from my voice number. My actual device's SMS do not show up.

Yeah, I use GVoice with my main number ported to it. I was using Sprint's weird GVoice integration for a long time before that (ported it when I switched to Cricket), so it's been the same experience for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Im still bitter they took away away google reader

then pulse went to poo poo

so i just stopped using RSS feeds