Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ineffiable posted:

Honestly you should have asked some softmodder if it can be reflashed. I assume the hardware is fine so it's possible they could have brought it back to glory. And you obviously tried different hdmi cables and screens?

Yeah it worked fine for a few days. Definitely wasn't that. The red light didn't even come on any more. I was thinking some USB power hub I plugged it into might have fried it :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So any good way to get scratched out of a gb micro faceplate? I've got the famicom one and was scratched when I bought it (lots of light scratches) thought it wouldn't bug me but it does. A lot

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

A 3M headlight renewer kit might work, though I've never tried it. I've heard of people using it on damaged VR headset lenses with some success.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Yeah that'd be plastic polish. You run the risk of stripping the finish though.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Wizgot posted:

My Mega Everdrive X3 arrived today. Configured it and loaded it with a complete romset. I ended up playing Toejam and Earl for a couple of hours which was awesome. I wanted to test out Pier Solar but the rom is too big . Anyone have any other homebrew recommendations?
Not homebrew but I thought the english translation of King Colossus was a pretty straight forward action-adventure light RPG that's not that long and easy to get in to.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Wonder Boy in Monster Land I did and I hated it. Sounded like a really crappy midi to me.

Not familiar with the SMS port, but I found the original arcade version to have the best-sounding PSG of the medium. Not that there's a lot to pick from, as the industry moved on to FM pretty quickly.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I agree with the FM sound on the SMS, only a tiny handful of the supported games sound better with it.

Probably a lot of the issue is that none of them used both the PSG and the FM chip at the same time, so everything's all muddy.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 9, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Wizgot posted:

My Mega Everdrive X3 arrived today. Configured it and loaded it with a complete romset. I ended up playing Toejam and Earl for a couple of hours which was awesome. I wanted to test out Pier Solar but the rom is too big . Anyone have any other homebrew recommendations?

Overdrive 2! :awesomelon:

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

It looks like Retro Fighters is trying their hand at an N64 controller through a kickstarter. Looks better than the coveted hori design.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Got my modded PC Engine in from Monitorburn along with my Everdrive I bought last week from Stoneage Gamer. Now what some good games to play on the system besides laughing at how big the sprites are in China Warrior? I know Bonk and Bomberman 93 are solid games.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Rirse posted:

Got my modded PC Engine in from Monitorburn along with my Everdrive I bought last week from Stoneage Gamer. Now what some good games to play on the system besides laughing at how big the sprites are in China Warrior? I know Bonk and Bomberman 93 are solid games.

Bonk's Revenge is the only good Bonk.
Final Lap Twin
The Silent Debuggers
The Legendary Axe
Keith Courage
Impossamole
Yo Bro!
Alien Crush

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

It only seems to work on PAL consoles, though. :(

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Overdrive also works only on the X7, I believe.

Some good Hu-Card games to try:

Air Zonk
Coryoon - Child of dragon
Cross Wiper
Dragon Spirit/Saber
Gekisha Boy
Honey on the road
Jackie Chan's Action Kung-Fu
Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman 1 and 2
Legendary Axe 1 and 2
Ninja Spirit
Somer Assault

and plenty more.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Coryoon, Legendary Axe, Salamander, Soldier Blade, Neutopia, Dragon's Curse, R-Type, Genpei Toumaden, Devil's Crush, Bonk's Revenge, Ninja Spirit, Bikkuriman World, Bloody Wolf, Gunhed/Blazing Lazers

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

meat police posted:

It looks like Retro Fighters is trying their hand at an N64 controller through a kickstarter. Looks better than the coveted hori design.

I'm not convinced that the two primary buttons being so low on the controller is a good idea.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

meat police posted:

Can't use the Solitaire control scheme (d-pad moves, analog stick aims) in Goldeneye on that thing, no deal.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

RZA Encryption posted:

Bonk's Revenge is the only good Bonk.
Final Lap Twin
The Silent Debuggers
The Legendary Axe
Keith Courage
Impossamole
Yo Bro!
Alien Crush

whoa dude when did you get to be a monster? making GBS threads on Bonk's Adventure? and listing Keith Courage, which I love but is pretty reviled, after it?! :gonk:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Gonna write down all those PCD-TG16 suggestions, about to send my Duo off to monitorburn this week myself.

meat police posted:

drat, for $20 it's worth the risk of it sucking

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Doc Morbid posted:

Can't use the Solitaire control scheme (d-pad moves, analog stick aims) in Goldeneye on that thing, no deal.
I always tended to use the C-buttons for that purpose anyway.

Takes a bit of getting used to, though, since it's basically southpaw modern dual-analog controls (albeit movement is digital), and I ain't southpaw.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Yeah, I can't deal with Turok controls anymore. D-pad for movement and analog stick for aiming is the closest thing to a modern dual analog setup available in Goldeneye, so I just use that these days.

Well, technically there is an actual dual analog mode in Goldeneye if you use two controllers, but that maps strafing to the right stick and breaks my brain in the process. :psypop:

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm not convinced that the two primary buttons being so low on the controller is a good idea.

They fixed a lot of gripes about the N64 controller (Goldeneye Solitaire aside) but maintaining the original slanted button layout is annoying for this particular rework. They had chance to correct the buttons to something like the Saturn pad but decided that original C-button integrity was the priority.

Also it looks like they added separation between B-A and the C buttons.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I did 6 acts of Kaizo Sonic 2 before calling it quits. It should work on the real system, but I eventually stopped testing it on my Mega Everdrive for convenience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOH9RNJiI1M

ROM here

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Rez Infinite was just released for PC today, it's the same game as the original Dreamcast Rez but running at super high resolution with controller or keyboard+mouse controls, and they've added a new level (which is in a different engine from the rest of the game, and not on rails). $20 on steam. Oh and if you have VR it is fully VR too. Basically it's a fully realized version of Rez.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 9, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rirse posted:

JB Harold Murder Club. Ancient compared to modern visual novels but it has a nice Carmen Sandiego vibe to it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Caitlin posted:

whoa dude when did you get to be a monster? making GBS threads on Bonk's Adventure? and listing Keith Courage, which I love but is pretty reviled, after it?! :gonk:

:getin:
I played Bonk's Revenge before I played Adventure, and kid me thought it was too much of a step backward. I'm sure I would have felt differently about it had I played them in a different order. Also, because all my TG experience is from childhood, I got to play all the games without being influenced by outside opinion. I loved Keith Courage. There are enemies that were just giant fuckin' guns with faces. As you get further through the game, your fuckin' laser sword gets comically large. I was seriously shocked to find out people didn't like it.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

:getin:
I played Bonk's Revenge before I played Adventure, and kid me thought it was too much of a step backward. I'm sure I would have felt differently about it had I played them in a different order. Also, because all my TG experience is from childhood, I got to play all the games without being influenced by outside opinion. I loved Keith Courage. There are enemies that were just giant fuckin' guns with faces. As you get further through the game, your fuckin' laser sword gets comically large. I was seriously shocked to find out people didn't like it.

I also loved Keith Courage, but I wasn't THAT surprised to find out people didn't like it. I was surprised that the popular opinion was SO low of it though, I think people are far too harsh on it. I am mostly balking at discounting Bonk's Adventure, that game is so good even if you've played Revenge. :psyduck:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Keith Courage is ok. I don't think it's terrible, and it serves its purpose as a pack-in pretty well. No better or worse than Altered Beast, I think.

I liked it enough to make a gif of the spinning lucky cats once upon a time, but I seem to have misplaced it. :(

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

al-azad posted:

JB Harold Murder Club. Ancient compared to modern visual novels but it has a nice Carmen Sandiego vibe to it.

JB Harold is interesting because it's one of the only Portopia Murder Case ripoffs to ever come out in the USA. They're sort of a weird bridge between point-and-clicks and VNs, and there were a shitzillion of them in Japan.

e: huh, apparently the actual original Portopia Murder Case game is in Metal Gear Solid 5, somehow? I would have figured Square Enix owned that game, not Konami, but I guess either they worked something out or Kojima said "gently caress it, nobody will care about a literal PC-6001 game."

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 9, 2017

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

You can switch the JP JB Harold game on TG16 to English :ssh:

(I know this because I bought the JP version since it was super cheap and had a cool manual)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's also interesting looking the game up, because there's a subplot about an unsolved rape in the game, and a good number of contemporary reviews for the US TG-CD version just pretty much go :staredog: at that being in a game. Nothing's actually shown in the game, but the simple mention of the subject matter made both Dragon and Computer and Video Games go "uhhhhh are we sure we should be touching that."

Lord, how times have changed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

meat police posted:

Sir Tonk posted:

drat, for $20 it's worth the risk of it sucking

Yeah poo poo, that's so cheap I'm in even if its a risk.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

meat police posted:

There's no mention of the internal electronics on that page.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

GutBomb posted:

Rez Infinite was just released for PC today, it's the same game as the original Dreamcast Rez but running at super high resolution with controller or keyboard+mouse controls, and they've added a new level (which is in a different engine from the rest of the game, and not on rails). $20 on steam. Oh and if you have VR it is fully VR too. Basically it's a fully realized version of Rez.

That's awesome! I really want to try this on my Rift.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ofecks posted:

Keith Courage is ok. I don't think it's terrible, and it serves its purpose as a pack-in pretty well. No better or worse than Altered Beast, I think.

Saying Kieth Courage is as good as Altered Beast isn't really a complement.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Altered Beast is a good game

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

mycophobia posted:

It's a game, but let's not say things we can't take back.

(I appreciate it, but I'd hardly call it good in 2017)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Still trying out some of these games, but Ninja Spirit is pretty fun.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

mycophobia posted:

I just realized that I have been confusing Altered Beast with Shadow of the Beast for my entire life

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

The arcade version isn't a bad game. Genesis though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

It was fine in 2015 (I think) when I picked it up and got the 1CC in a couple of days. I'm not calling it great or anything but it was a fun little game. One day I'll sit down and properly play the arcade version cuz I know that's definitely way better.

• Locked thread