Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Uthor posted:

Thanks to all the 1/4" ratchet chat, I picked up a new one from HF. drat you, thread.

(I bought it to stash at my desk at work, but it's nicer than my Craftsman, so I'm keeping it here and leaving the Craftsman at work.)

It would be harder to engineer a worse ratchet than the Craftsman raised panel 36 tooth one versus to just make a better one.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Every time ratchets come up I have to stop myself from dropping $100 on new ratchets when I use literally just one (Gearwrench 120xp flex, 1/2", long handle) and the M12 electric ratchet.

Sure would be nice to have a small format 1/2" though....

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

mekilljoydammit posted:

There's always the Wright 3430 for tiny 3/8 drive wrenches.

Not that I'm collecting cool 3/8 wrenches or anything lately, no sir.

Well gently caress me and definitely gently caress you, I had to buy one.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

StormDrain posted:

Every time ratchets come up I have to stop myself from dropping $100 on new ratchets when I use literally just one (Gearwrench 120xp flex, 1/2", long handle) and the M12 electric ratchet.

Sure would be nice to have a small format 1/2" though....

Yeah definitely a personal preference. Some like knurled handles and some don't, some like quick release...some dont, etc.

Edit: As for small format 1/2" if Koken doesn't make one, then no one would. Hell they probably have a 1/2" drive shorty with a 2" handle just because.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 5, 2017

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Colostomy Bag posted:

Edit: As for small format 1/2" if Koken doesn't make one, then no one would. Hell they probably have a 1/2" drive shorty with a 2" handle just because.

http://www.kokenusa.com/products/model/403

SK has a new 90 tooth ratchet out and it's niiiiiiiice

https://www.harryepstein.com/blogs/tag/sk-90-tooth-ratchet/

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

That SK looks like an Armstrong. I'm a fan of the Armstrongs, but they're fragile. One of mine is currently broken and the warranty isn't easy to get serviced.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Anyone have a recommendation on a spark plug gap/sizing tool?

Had some 30 year old thing that was well somewhat adequate but got lost. Now gapping some plugs, using the el-cheapo ring tool and verifying with feeler gauges and surprising it is fairly accurate.

But would like something a tad better.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 7, 2017

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

Anyone have a recommendation on a spark plug gap/sizing tool?

Had some 30 year old thing that was well somewhat adequate but got lost. Now gapping some plugs, using the el-cheapo ring tool and verifying with feeler gauges and surprising it is fairly accurate.

But would like something a tad better.
I've got this one:

A & E Hand Tools 4450A E-Z Grip Spark Plug Gap Gauge https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YKMCDW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_dN6HzbXHVFVG9

I always liked the coin style ones anyway, so I'm not sure this is seriously different, but it works well.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I like the wire style ones, rather than the coin ones, but mine is real cheap. There's probably a better option. Don't most cars use precious metal plugs these days, though?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sad to say after 25 years or so of DIY'er repairs on cars today was the first time I busted out a crows foot wrench. Cripes, what a god send.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Don't be sad. Crows feet are awesome when you need them but I'd much rather never need them.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, I'm kind of the "rather have a tool and not need them" type person. I bought the set from HF a few months ago for like $8 or whatever.

Replacing a pressure sender, and well look at this, I get to use it. Woohoo.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Same, my crow's feet have seen very little use, but sometimes... Oh man.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I feel that way about Crow foot line wrenches... Absolute godsend.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I've never needed one. Did you all need them for the angle, or for the open end (Or both)?
Closest I've come to needing one I used a flexi head ratchet spanner.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Same question I haven't come across a bolt that I couldn't get a socket on but could get a wrench head on. Or maybe I did and I just cut a wrench in half.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I have definitely come across a bolt I couldn't get a socket on for sure. But I had a spanner.
E: maybe I'm a bit spoilt for spanners though as when I started my apprenticeship the company bought a $1300 toolkit of combo and double ring spanners along with everything else (I had to pay that back over 2 years), and I just keep buying spanners because you often need two of the same size of course, plus I'm buying ratchet spanners now a lot.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 10, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sometimes you get something where you can't get right on it with a socket, but nor is there swing room for a spanner. Not often, but for those fraction-of-a-percent edge cases, they're great.

They're also a little stiffer and less prone to flexing than open end spanners in many cases.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 10, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Fo3 posted:

I've never needed one. Did you all need them for the angle, or for the open end (Or both)?
Closest I've come to needing one I used a flexi head ratchet spanner.

This was what I was working with:

http://www.f150hub.com/maintenance/brake-pressure-sensor.html

But a crap load more stuff in the way. Looks like he ripped out the air filter assembly and other things with the pics to get to it. To remove that sender is a 9/16" under the circular part.

Could a super shorty wrench/spanner done it? Maybe...but there are brake lines right next to it as well.

Also could have turned if off with my channel locks. But the crows foot was like a minute. Have to laugh, the pro's are probably thinking "dumbass" as I buttfumble with simple repairs.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

InitialDave posted:

Sometimes you get something where you can't get right on it with a socket, but nor is there swing room for a spanner. Not often, but for those fraction-of-a-percent edge cases, they're great.

I got a set of them a while back just to have them around for when the day comes, or as insurance against ever needing them. That day is yet to come and they are still at the bottom of the "rarely used tools" drawer.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ionn posted:

I got a set of them a while back just to have them around for when the day comes, or as insurance against ever needing them. That day is yet to come and they are still at the bottom of the "rarely used tools" drawer.
This is the logic behind about half my tool collection.

It's there for when a simple job becomes a war of attrition.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

InitialDave posted:

It's there for when a simple job becomes a war of attrition.

This is when the angle grinder or reciprocating saw come in. :psyboom:

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Larrymer posted:

This is when the angle grinder or reciprocating saw come in. :psyboom:

There is a long list of escalating levels of mechanical warfare. Further down is the oxy-acetylene torch, jaws of life, and car crusher (the nuclear option).

burns_2k
Oct 17, 2012
Talking of spanners brit goons may be interested in these:

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/tool-kits/hal-adv-10pc-metric-spanner-set - Halford Pro Spanners for a fiver
http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-27-piece-metric-socket-set - 1/4 inch socket set for £12.50
http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-55-piece-socket-set-1-2 - 1/2 inch socket set for £45 (down from £180) but it's 12 sided so I'll probably pass

and a discount code B17TOOLS15

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

burns_2k posted:

Talking of spanners brit goons may be interested in these:

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/tool-kits/hal-adv-10pc-metric-spanner-set - Halford Pro Spanners for a fiver
http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-27-piece-metric-socket-set - 1/4 inch socket set for £12.50
http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-55-piece-socket-set-1-2 - 1/2 inch socket set for £45 (down from £180) but it's 12 sided so I'll probably pass

and a discount code B17TOOLS15

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-27-piece-metric-socket-set-1-4

EDIT - thanks for that - I just picked up the 1/4 socket set for £10.62 That's stupid cheap.

Not sure I can justify driving 80 miles to the nearest store that stocks the spanner, though.

Seriously, thanks you are an enabler for my addiction.

spog fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Aug 11, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Thanks, will see if local branch has them.

Don't worry about the 12pt issue too much, they're a flank drive design, and it doesn't make a huge difference really.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

gently caress it, they will only reserve them until Monday. The nearest store with stock is 1.5hrs away, but I will not be going there on Weds. Wonder if I can convince them to extend the reservation somehow?

Don't think I can justify a 3hr round trip for something shiny that I really don't need.

Their 1/2 sockets sets are mint. They fit with the precision of a rifle, yet are strong enough to remove the treads from a tank.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Want me to grab one for you in Leicester?

Edit: is this the 1/2" or 1/4" you want?

Aaaand the 1/4" is sold out now.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 11, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Thanks for the offer, but Leicester is too far - even for my insanity.

I've reserved the 1/4 in two stores - one 1.5hrs north of me and one 30mins west of me. I'll have to find an excuse to go in one of these directions in the next couple of days.

And lets be clear on my insanity:

1) l already own the 120 pro kit that include 1/4
2) I already own a separate 1/4 boxed set
3) I hardly ever use 1.4 anyway

But thanks again, I really appreciate it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
No problem, I'm not bothering myself because the only one they have locally is the 1/2", and I'm already more than doubled up on basically everything I need to be in terms of sockets and spanners.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

This is literally within 6' of my keyboard at this very moment.

As Ronnie Wood said in Top Gear: Charlie Watts, the Rolling Stones drummer owns a collection of classic cars, but he has no license.

Ronnie claimed that Charlie gets suits made to match the interior trim and then just sits in the cars, not driving them.

I understand this.

spog fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 12, 2017

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I worked at Halfords during Uni and their own brand stuff was a mix of higher quality tools from big manufacturers where batches were not up to their QA. So they pressed Halfords into them and sold for much cheaper. I had the professional mechanics set I got when I worked there over a decade ago but when I moved to the US my brother left it out in the rain and by the time I got back I just saw piles of rust in a case on the patio table and gave him a bollocking.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Looking at buying a cordless impact wrench to replace my corded harbor freight. How much torque do I want? I don't want to get myself in trouble re-fastening. Choosing between 325 and 740 ft-lbs (Makita).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well for removing stuff you want the highest possible torque

for installing...generally you will want a torque wrench. almost nothing on a car will have a specified torque over 100lb-ft.

for stuff like driving lag bolts around the house the extra torque really does a kick rear end job

most good cordless impact guns have variable triggers anyway.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

BraveUlysses posted:

well for removing stuff you want the highest possible torque

for installing...generally you will want a torque wrench. almost nothing on a car will have a specified torque over 100lb-ft.

for stuff like driving lag bolts around the house the extra torque really does a kick rear end job

most good cordless impact guns have variable triggers anyway.

I agree with all of this. I considered a mid-range gun but I went whole-hog because the difference in price was less than 50%. I bought it mainly for wheels/lugs but I ended up having to do a head gasket job about 6 weeks later. When the crank pulley bolt flew off after four BRAPS I new I had made the right choice. Moar powar will never do you wrong.

As for installing, I only use it for dumb stuff (big bolts into steel), and most guns have a babby-torque mode or two that limits. Mine delivers 100ft-lbs in mode 1, which is great for installing wheels. Two clicks put me about 1/4 turn from 75ft-lbs on the car, and I can go buckwild with the truck/trailer becasue those need 140/100ft-lbs respectively.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

monsterzero posted:

I agree with all of this. I considered a mid-range gun but I went whole-hog because the difference in price was less than 50%. I bought it mainly for wheels/lugs but I ended up having to do a head gasket job about 6 weeks later. When the crank pulley bolt flew off after four BRAPS I new I had made the right choice. Moar powar will never do you wrong.

As for installing, I only use it for dumb stuff (big bolts into steel), and most guns have a babby-torque mode or two that limits. Mine delivers 100ft-lbs in mode 1, which is great for installing wheels. Two clicks put me about 1/4 turn from 75ft-lbs on the car, and I can go buckwild with the truck/trailer becasue those need 140/100ft-lbs respectively.

which brand did you go with? I'm trying to decide between dewalt/milwaukee/maybe makita? waiting for holiday sales though.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

crutt posted:

which brand did you go with? I'm trying to decide between dewalt/milwaukee/maybe makita? waiting for holiday sales though.

Milwaukee. Got the M18 Fuel with a pair of 5ah batteries in a Memorial Day sale. I was less than $300 and worth every penny, even if I never buy another tool inn the system. Any of the high torque guns will be amazing if you're stepping up from hand tools/bad electrics/ancient air tools like I was.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Seconding that Milwaukee. I use mine often with an adapter and 3/4" drive sockets and ive yet to come across a fastener it won't budge.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

crutt posted:

If you've already bought into a battery/tool system, then buy their offering, so long as it meets your torque requirements. Makita and Milwaukee would be my two picks if you're starting out due to tool selection and quality. I'm invested in Makita 18V and Milwaukee 12v.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

monsterzero posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a tire pressure gauge? I've been using a double-headed pen style one for ages, but it's not accurate/consistent anymore. I liked because I could get it around the rotors on a motorcycle, but that's less of a concern these days so I'm considering a digital one. Will those hold up to living in a map pocket / bottom of a tool bag? Are they like HF micrometers where the battery will be dead when you need it? Budget is $20-ish.

It's way outside your budget (and possibly size), and we've gotten sidetracked by ratchet chat, but if you want to be the tire king get one of these: Astro 3018. I put that sucker on my air compressor and hit every tire I can find. It's just so easy to fill and giggle at how you're not constantly playing the inflate/test/inflate/test/inflate/test/bleed game anymore.