Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lol, nevermind how hard he was campaigning and posting on Twitter about wanting to be Superman on the show. A shame he deleted all those tweets before I could cap them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Maybe he really wants to be Bizarro on the show and he's doing method acting.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Haha. He could show up as basically anyone. He could be Hal Jordan or Grifter or Matter Eater Lad, but nope, he cannot think of himself being anyone but Clark.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Proof that Supergirl is a better world than ours because Tom Welling doesn't exist there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yannick_B posted:

Not true, just a common fan-wish. The show was supposed to last 5 years or so, got sort of derailed by Superman Returns (they were building their own thing until they had to have their Krypton stuff in-line with Donner/Returns version) and then the show kept on going because it was popular, Supernatural-like.

But Supernatural has charismatic leads at least, after Lex left Smallville didn't even have that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

But Supernatural has charismatic leads at least, after Lex left Smallville didn't even have that.

Erica Durance.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's really shocking how Supergirl managed to really nail their Superman. They should really give Tyler Hoechlin his own show.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

It's really shocking how Supergirl managed to really nail their Superman. They should really give Tyler Hoechlin his own show.

That small dude?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Rescue Rangers: The Tiny Supes Saga

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

He was great! So was Brandon Routh, for that matter -- just in a bad costume and a bad movie. Both of them embodied the kindness, approachability, and friendliness that Superman has to have (Hoechlin even moreso), and Henry Cavill's version never had and never will. The threatening, red-eyed, "THIS ENDS NOW" Superman (pretty much every time Jim Lee draws him) may be the prevailing version, but I think it misses the point completely.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Supergirl managed to nail Superman eh?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Supergirl managed to nail Superman eh?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

He was great! So was Brandon Routh, for that matter -- just in a bad costume and a bad movie. Both of them embodied the kindness, approachability, and friendliness that Superman has to have (Hoechlin even moreso), and Henry Cavill's version never had and never will. The threatening, red-eyed, "THIS ENDS NOW" Superman (pretty much every time Jim Lee draws him) may be the prevailing version, but I think it misses the point completely.

Hoechlin plays his Superman (and Routh his Ray Palmer) as if he came out of Parks and Recreation, which is really fitting when you think of the show's tone.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's funny is how now that they've cast him, they talk about him so much less than they did when the show was on CBS. But yeah Hoechlin is great.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

What are the odds that the Marvel Netflix shows get a proper Blu ray release now that Disney is pulling their content and starting their own streaming service?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Happy Hippo posted:

What are the odds that the Marvel Netflix shows get a proper Blu ray release now that Disney is pulling their content and starting their own streaming service?

Very low. Because people like subbing to multiple streaming services rather than buying physical media

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Happy Hippo posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Marvels-Jess...+jones+season+1 :confused:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Both Daredevil seasons are on blu ray. I haven't checked the other ones.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's probably an EU (but region free) disc. The US one only comes out the 22nd.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Happy Hippo posted:

Disney is not pulling the Netflix shows off Netflix because Netflix owns them. They're pulling the MCU films and assorted Disney tv shows, but not Daredevil and company.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Marvel and Netflix just last week announced a deal with New York City to film an additional 75 episodes of various Netflix shows there. It's not going anywhere for a while.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

Marvel and Netflix just last week announced a deal with New York City to film an additional 75 episodes of various Netflix shows there. It's not going anywhere for a while.

Is that after s2 of Luke Cage, or including it?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

X-O posted:

The Disney Netflix split isn't supposed to start until 2019 anyway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't know anything about Black Lightning but they just cast his major villian Tobias Whale. In the comics he's a black man with albinism and they actually went to the trouble to find a black actor with albinism to play him, the rapper Krondon. So that's cool.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

I don't know anything about Black Lightning but they just cast his major villian Tobias Whale. In the comics he's a black man with albinism and they actually went to the trouble to find a black actor with albinism to play him, the rapper Krondon. So that's cool.

That is pretty cool, but it's weird that I can think of 2 other supervillains who are black guys with albinism.

havok9
Aug 16, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

That is pretty cool, but it's weird that I can think of 2 other supervillains who are black guys with albinism.

Tombstone was my first thought. Who's the other?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

havok9 posted:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

havok9 posted:

I had no idea he was a black guy with albinism. I thought he was just some kind of deformed superhuman dude.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

I had no idea he was a black guy with albinism. I thought he was just some kind of deformed superhuman dude.

Wow, racist.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Wow, racist.

The 90s cartoon made him look like a vampire it's not my fault I swear :negative:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's like double racist.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

:negative:

Shark teeth! The Morbius nose!

I swear! I also happened to never actually read his backstory or saw any other portrayals of him outside of these somehow... Other portrayals where he looks much more normal... All these years...

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 11, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I really liked Spectacular Spider-Man back in those days. Like, Amazing was good and had the main story, but I liked the focus on other side characters in Spectacular. Sandman's face turn with Silver Sable, Tombstone, and the Harry Jr. going crazy story, some of my favorite runs. And of course, 185 making Leap-Frog a relatable character. So good.

Of course that was right around the time I got into comics so there's the rose tinted glasses effect.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ToastyPotato posted:

The 90s cartoon made him look like a vampire it's not my fault I swear :negative:

his first episode literally flashbacks to before he got his powers

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm in the second boat. I thought he was just a ghost-white dead dude like Solomon Grundy.

poo poo, don't tell me Grundy was an albino too

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

I barely paid attention to that cartoon back then to be honest. I probably couldn't recount the plot of any episode from that show.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

TFRazorsaw posted:

He has powers? To be honest I didn't realize he was supposed to be an albino black guy til I think Cage Max, and then I realized how hosed up that makes his monstrous appearance. Like really Marvel, that's what you think of people with albinism?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

He has powers? To be honest I didn't realize he was supposed to be an albino black guy til I think Cage Max, and then I realized how hosed up that makes his monstrous appearance. Like really Marvel, that's what you think of people with albinism?

He's super strong and somewhat invulnerable. I think his nerves might be deadened as well so he doesn't feel pain maybe?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't Tombstone have something wrong with his voice box so he could only talk in whispers as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The shark teeth was something Tombstone gave himself to scare the gently caress out of the people as a hitman. He also didn't initially have powers, I think maybe they gave him those so he would be more of a physical threat to Spider-man.

Rhyno posted:

He's super strong and somewhat invulnerable. I think his nerves might be deadened as well so he doesn't feel pain maybe?

In the 90s cartoon he also doesn't breathe.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Aug 11, 2017