Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Teledahn posted:

Does that save-copying lunacy still happen if you don't have an SSD?

I don't know. All the Devs mentioned was "Yeah, we make it copy over to C. Your body can take it." but nothing about when it wouldn't. (And the exact words "Xbox works in a slightly different way" when asked about how this will effect the console port). I've got the game and Steam installed on my bigger normal hard drive, but it still copies over to my small SSD I got windows on.

I suppose anybody with nothing but a regular hard drive, will have to take a look at their ProgramData folder after their save loads if they want that question answered.

Mehrunes posted:

My latest save is 21mb. :shrug:
It would be great if they stayed that way :v: 98% of the save file size is based on you having actually gone anywhere and done anything. Where those folders with fat stacks of 1 kb files starts getting 2000-7000 Kilobyte files liberally sprinkled through them.

Another sign of why they didn't put much thought beyond "Copy/paste = profit". They didn't do the slightest amount of clean up, it copy/pastes EVERYTHING, even poo poo it doesn't need to "help performance". Such as your save specific screenshots folder. Yeah, it copies that over too. While it doesn't really take up all that much space even when taking a billion screenshots, it does increase the feeling of how slapdash this method was.

They probably honestly think "We'll copy everything, even the screenshots folder!" is pro-tier perfection programing life hacks, given they are unironically linking public website articles from 2014 (including mentioning it's from 2014) to back their design decisions. You'd trust The Tech Report™ to program your videogame, right?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

It would be great if they stayed that way :v: 98% of the save file size is based on you having actually gone anywhere and done anything. Where those folders with fat stacks of 1 kb files starts getting 2000-7000 Kilobyte files liberally sprinkled through them.

Another sign of why they didn't put much thought beyond "Copy/paste = profit". They didn't do the slightest amount of clean up, it copy/pastes EVERYTHING, even poo poo it doesn't need to "help performance". Such as your save specific screenshots folder. Yeah, it copies that over too. While it doesn't really take up all that much space even when taking a billion screenshots, it does increase the feeling of how slapdash this method was.

They probably honestly think "We'll copy everything, even the screenshots folder!" is pro-tier perfection programing life hacks, given they are unironically linking public website articles from 2014 (including mentioning it's from 2014) to back their design decisions. You'd trust The Tech Report™ to program your videogame, right?

Your lunacy is amusing but for anyone who's actually interested my save files with a new game are literally 21mb with the seamoth out to the zones immediately adjacent to the crash zone.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I can't play the game anymore. I built too much (including a base that stretches from the floating island down to the ocean floor) so now it's a slideshow and I can't even move. :(

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Mehrunes posted:

Your lunacy is amusing but for anyone who's actually interested my save files with a new game are literally 21mb with the seamoth out to the zones immediately adjacent to the crash zone.

I would say I haven't explored very much, mostly because I don't know where everything is. I built a cyclops for the first time yesterday. I have visited both islands, taken a terrified trip around the crashed Aurora (on a seaglide!), visited the mushroom forest and the reef full of flat coral trees, been terrified by warpers, spooked by deep caves and made myself a home under the reefbacks of the great plains.

My save game is 1.02 gb? What?

E: It's also worth noting that I already have subnautica installed on an SSD. My ProgramData directory is not seeing any notable size changes when I launch and play the game. Lucky me for not being subject to this 'optimization'.

E2: \/ \/ \/ Nope, regular steam version.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 31, 2017

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Teledahn posted:

I would say I haven't explored very much, mostly because I don't know where everything is. I built a cyclops for the first time yesterday. I have visited both islands, taken a terrified trip around the crashed Aurora (on a seaglide!), visited the mushroom forest and the reef full of flat coral trees, been terrified by warpers, spooked by deep caves and made myself a home under the reefbacks of the great plains.

My save game is 1.02 gb? What?

Are you on experimental? I started a new game to check out what the 2.2gb update did since they said it's the start of an optimization pass.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Also, regarding my brand-new lightly scratched cyclops: the health bar doesn't go all the way up? The engineering station in the aft compartment says 100% health, but the healthbar displays on the conn and status hologram aren't full?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Teledahn posted:

Also, regarding my brand-new lightly scratched cyclops: the health bar doesn't go all the way up? The engineering station in the aft compartment says 100% health, but the healthbar displays on the conn and status hologram aren't full?

It's full, the blue you're seeing the over shield that prevents minor damage.

Vodkahead
Jun 4, 2007

JFC posted:

a base that stretches from the floating island down to the ocean floor

Got any images of this? That's impressive, I wouldn't have thought it possible.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Mehrunes posted:

Jesus you're a lovely poster.

What you're trying to say is that the save folders are much smaller in latest experimental than Stable, which is true.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Well that is a pretty old save. However my own latest start in experimental for July, it still 2.22 gigs. Also experimental of late has had this thing where your seamoth and such gets trapped in the docked position for about a week now :sigh:

Between that and the UI glitches being blamed on Nvidia drivers even though the only thing that had changed was Subnautica, I'm not particularly inclined to see if starting a fresh game will stay "Only 21 mb" by the time I've got a proper base and I'm on my way to the lava castle without my gameplay being 90% console commands today.

Vodkahead posted:

Got any images of this? That's impressive, I wouldn't have thought it possible.

If you wanted the technical victory, you just make a really long vertical hallway connector. Base ladders are still instant teleportation, and (for now) it still only costs the material for one ladder for long vertical tubes.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 1, 2017

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Section Z posted:

Well that is a pretty old save. However my own latest start in experimental for July, it still 2.22 gigs. Also experimental of late has had this thing where your seamoth and such gets trapped in the docked position for about a week now :sigh:

Between that and the UI glitches being blamed on Nvidia drivers even though the only thing that had changed was Subnautica, I'm not particularly inclined to see if starting a fresh game will stay "Only 21 mb" by the time I've got a proper base and I'm on my way to the lava castle without my gameplay being 90% console commands today.

If you wanted the technical victory, you just make a really long vertical hallway connector. Base ladders are still instant teleportation, and (for now) it still only costs the material for one ladder for long vertical tubes.

It's glitchy as fuuuck, that's for sure. I couldn't see the UI half the time doing the save test with a few biomes.

But no, I doubt it'll stay in the ~20mb range but it's about a tenth of what it used to be, so that's progress.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So where on the scale of encouraging to worrying does this fall?

https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/talking-about-performance/

On the one hand, they have reached a point where they are sucking it up and hiring coders who know what they are doing at the last minute to try and unfuck their legacy code.

On the other hand, the post is 90% "We're probably gonna have to cut content again, oh well that's gamedev."

Here, have an article that opens with a picture of cool stuff like a peeper bed! We're probably going to have to cut that.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 7, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

IMO it's very encouraging. while a lot of bad could be said about the fact that the game is in this position at all, given that we're here, it's a very good thing that they're finally recognizing the problem and devoting dedicated effort to fixing it. I just hope they haven't waited too long and built up too many dependencies on unoptimized code that they can't fix without rewrites.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

IMO it's very encouraging. while a lot of bad could be said about the fact that the game is in this position at all, given that we're here, it's a very good thing that they're finally recognizing the problem and devoting dedicated effort to fixing it. I just hope they haven't waited too long and built up too many dependencies on unoptimized code that they can't fix without rewrites.

Yeah, given the industry it's generally a sign of some kind of big loving wake up call that they have to admit things are so hosed before launch they need outside help.

So your own concern is very understandable. I expect the "Copy/paste your entire save! Genius!" implementation is likely here to stay even if the new hires laugh in their face over the link to a 2014 website article.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Maybe they can go back in time and decide not to use an engine notorious for being such a miserably poor-performing pile of poo poo. "It's a Unity game" is the new "They wrote it in Flash."

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I thought Unitys problem was making no talent people put a giant Unity splash screen on their poo poo games. Not so much that it's a terrible platform, but more terrible games have to advertise they used the platform.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The General posted:

I thought Unitys problem was making no talent people put a giant Unity splash screen on their poo poo games. Not so much that it's a terrible platform, but more terrible games have to advertise they used the platform.
Well at the very least, Unity upgrades have been really loving with the devs. I believe the exact phrase in one post about the delays on the August update was "However, we've been dealing with some issues that our recent Unity upgrade caused, which is (sic) unfortunately crippled development over the last week, so the update may get pushed out further."

Between apparently having been waiting on Nvidia to return their calls for almost three weeks now about the UI glitches in experimental. Those glitches have been around since July 20th at minimum, when I took my first screenshots of it. They are very defensive that it's entirely out of their hands and all on Nvidia's head. But also recently said Nvidia still hasn't gotten back to them.

So either Nvidia is taking nearly a month to get back to Subnautica devs, or the Devs only finally got around to calling them over a bug that even obscures the bug rep window recently :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 8, 2017

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I know very little about game engines but it always felt that the problem wasn't Unity itself, rather that Subnautica is trying to do stuff outside the comfortable scope of the engine. The Forest and The Long Dark are both on Unity too and neither of them have the performance problems that Subnautica does, but they're also both a bit more restrained and in TLD's case the world is broken up by loading screens.

Or maybe it's just bad programming or the huge shifts in focus that Subnautica has undergone over its development, idk.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Unity is a fine engine it just gets a bad rep because games made with the free version begin by showing you the Unity logo. Unity is just easy enough to make some sort of thing in that people who don't know what they're doing can muddle through enough to have something so people who aren't very good will gravitate towards it. Thus, most bad games you see will be made in Unity, but it's because the engine's low barriers to entry and not because the engine made the games bad.

For pretty nearly any indie game Unity is perfectly adequate and exceptions tend to be ones that either need good memory management to make gameplay smooth (Subnautica) or ones that have intensely complex physics being simulated (Kerbal Space Program)

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
`This game has been sitting for over a year in my steam library. Is it complete enough to play yet?

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Plot twist: A year ago was the best possible time to experience this game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

I know very little about game engines but it always felt that the problem wasn't Unity itself, rather that Subnautica is trying to do stuff outside the comfortable scope of the engine. The Forest and The Long Dark are both on Unity too and neither of them have the performance problems that Subnautica does, but they're also both a bit more restrained and in TLD's case the world is broken up by loading screens.

Or maybe it's just bad programming or the huge shifts in focus that Subnautica has undergone over its development, idk.

Dreamfall Chapters isn't trying to do anything particularly impressive and good god does it run like trash. What happened with the Natural Selection 2 engine they nearly bankrupted themselves making?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 8, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The engine is absolutely not the fault of their performance problems. Poor programming is way more likely based on what they have said and hopefully they can pull someone in who knows what they are doing.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Maybe they can go back in time and decide not to use an engine notorious for being such a miserably poor-performing pile of poo poo. "It's a Unity game" is the new "They wrote it in Flash."

unity is a good engine that powers a hell of a lot of extremely well-recieved games including some major triple-a ones like hearthstone, let alone tons of indie games like kerbal space program. don't blame developer incompetence on the engine.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

`This game has been sitting for over a year in my steam library. Is it complete enough to play yet?

you've waited this long, might as well wait a bit more

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It's almost done, maybe the last 5% of the storyline is missing. Might as well wait for the final patches. I have not experienced any of the graphical problems people are talking about, so YMMV.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

It's almost done, maybe the last 5% of the storyline is missing. Might as well wait for the final patches. I have not experienced any of the graphical problems people are talking about, so YMMV.

So the pop-in is gone?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dyz posted:

So the pop-in is gone?
Unfortunately, no. You need to be very mindful of that situation to not miss large plot locations still. like how if you look down a canyon, it looks like there is only an empty room on the other side. But you need to go in there and a precursor base will pop in once you are most of the way through.

Or all the people unable to find the Deep Reef Degasi base because the rock spire it's on renders well before the base itself. If you're in a vehicle like the seamoth, even with a signal equipped telling you exactly where a lifepod is it can end up not rendering until you are about to crash into it, etc.

Precursor bases are still having their interiors vanishing in bug reports as of today, with "Just clear your cache files" not always solving it. A plot breaking issue around since at least mid to late June.

Experimental is where the whole "UI is hosed. Our hands are tied blame Nvidia" issue is, as they have not patched live yet.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 9, 2017

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

If you go into the void, giant scary monsters eat you. So yes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Dreamfall Chapters isn't trying to do anything particularly impressive and good god does it run like trash. What happened with the Natural Selection 2 engine they nearly bankrupted themselves making?

It also runs like garbo, entertainingly.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So uh… What's the over under on the Unity engine people either handing over their source code, or fixing Subnautica's problems for them? While I can't find the exact quote from a dev. Just saw a post from a player claiming-

quote:

"Devs have mentioned in the past they they need Unity's support in working in the terrain meshing issues and getting their hands on source codes.

So, yes, if Unity refuses to work with them or help them with it this is a bug that may stick around after full release."

Regarding how Reapers love to just noclip their way through terrain and act more like Graboids than sea creatures, to the frustration of yet another player who got to watch their seamoth, then themselves, get eaten by burrowing reapers in the safe shallows.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Requesting title change to "No Man's Sea"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dyz posted:

Requesting title change to "No Man's Sea"

I was trying to be optimistic for once and assuming it's normal for developers to ask for their the Engine's source code or it's not their fault they can't fix a problem :shobon: Which in hindsight sounds really, really dumb.

But comparing even the most laughable result Subnautica could have, would still be far, far more of a game than No Man's Sky turned out to be when I figured "60% off is probably low enough to finally try it, right?"

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Section Z posted:

So uh… What's the over under on the Unity engine people either handing over their source code, or fixing Subnautica's problems for them? While I can't find the exact quote from a dev. Just saw a post from a player claiming-

Regarding how Reapers love to just noclip their way through terrain and act more like Graboids than sea creatures, to the frustration of yet another player who got to watch their seamoth, then themselves, get eaten by burrowing reapers in the safe shallows.

They've had "investigating getting source code access" card on their Trello board since I think like February?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I suspect "keep a thing from spawning in an invalid zone" and "keep a thing from clipping through another thing" are features the unity engine can support without needing to modify its source code

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Unity will let them have their source code if they buy a source license, it's as simple as that. I think Blizzard has a source license for Unity for their Hearthstone stuff. So none of this is really the fault of Unity as an engine.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Xibanya posted:

Unity will let them have their source code if they buy a source license, it's as simple as that. I think Blizzard has a source license for Unity for their Hearthstone stuff. So none of this is really the fault of Unity as an engine.

Unity's Licensing FAQ posted:

We license Unity source code on a per-case and per-title basis via special arrangements made by our business development team. As this can be quite expensive, we do not generally license source code to smaller operations, educational institutions, nor to companies in countries which do not have adequate legal intellectual property protection.

Considering they have a blog post titled, “Why You Probably Don’t Need a Source Code License,” I don’t think it’s as simple as that.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Am I to understand that the devs don't know how to or think they can't disentangle their colossal shitpile of a terraforming system from the game without the source code?

What the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So this is an incredibly petty nitpick all things considered. But the Devs are cutting (have cut, in experimental) the thermomoter from anything but vehicles. Experimental saves even have their thermomoter chips removed.

Why would you even cut that? Why would you even waste the dev time TO cut that when you keep whining that you won't have enough time to fix everything? Thermal generators can suck surprisingly hard if you don't get them in the temperature sweet spot of a thermal vent that's only hot once every ten seconds, so "gently caress it, just eyeball it you entitled thermometer wanting baby" seems an odd development direction.

If it's intended to be a default feature later, that would be nice. But then, I wish the industry had less "We're removing a feature/nerfing a thing. Don't worry we're going to add the replacement meant to make up for that. promise. eventually. Gamedev is hard where's your game huh?"

Teledahn posted:

Am I to understand that the devs don't know how to or think they can't disentangle their colossal shitpile of a terraforming system from the game without the source code?

What the hell.

Apparently. That and claiming they can't fix the UI getting eaten glitches without Nvidia doing it for them. And saying Nvidia hasn't been returning their calls.

Gee I sure hope Nvidia takes less than two months to pickup the phone :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 13, 2017