Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i probably saw it and dont remember it because i was around for the pedocaust on reddit if that's what you're referring to. i do remember during that time goons were running a subreddit called r/shittedditsays that was a depository for all the horrible/creepy poo poo people would post. they really did not like that.

shitredditsays fuckin rocked for a while. I actually reg'd here because of folks from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

insanely mad on the internet

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
ahahaha @ racism sniffing dog

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

cumshitter posted:

ahahaha @ racism sniffing dog

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I had a gimmick account called racist_decoder_ring that would quote people but change their dogwhistles to real whistles. I got banned from most high traffic subs for "racism" even though I was just translating what others said :(

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
how do these people run their "meme magic" when it's so so easy to trigger their sensitive asses?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

how do these people run their "meme magic" when it's so so easy to trigger their sensitive asses?

you get instantly banned from the_donald for disagreeing, for starters.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Kurtofan posted:

the magic of memes is being so sensitive you eat your feelings by way of tendies and over cooked hot pockets

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Organizers of the Unite the Right rally are spending a lot of effort trying to convince people not to bring guns. Also there's fighting over whether women should be allowed.

Also they're warning their people not to attack the 1,000 or so clergymembers who are showing up to protest against them. Well at least they've got their priorities.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
women should be allowed but must wear burqas.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
tbh I don't know what the counter-protesters will be like, but I'm guessing a lot of ordinary people holding hands. Which is what it should be.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
"Do you expect me to stop investigating the administration's connections to Russia?"

"No Mr. Bond, I expect you... to piss."

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

tbh I don't know what the counter-protesters will be like, but I'm guessing a lot of ordinary people holding hands. Which is what it should be.

Hopefully antifa in clergy outfits.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Also there's some issue with the rally location:

quote:

Charlottesville city officials announced yesterday that Saturday’s “Unite the Right” rally must be relocated from Emancipation Park (renamed from Lee Park) to McIntire Park over concerns about public safety in order to obtain a demonstration permit.

Responsibility for the late change rests solely at the feet of Jason Kessler, the event’s primary organizer, who failed to accurately disclose the number of attendees expected at the rally, despite months of zealous recruitment and non-stop advertisement from dozens of the far-right’s most prominent leaders.

As of this morning, 675 people indicate that they will attend on Facebook, with more than 1,000 more interested in the event. Given the level of coordination among the event’s organizers, a much larger crowd is expected.

A large contingent of counter-protestors is also expected to be present.

“Government has no more central role than protecting life and property,” Mayor Mike Signer said at a press conference Monday. “Given the sheer numbers projected, the city manager is right to conclude that this event is incompatible with the dense and urban location of Emancipation Park.”

Nonetheless, in a live stream via Periscope following the press conference yesterday afternoon, Kessler told his devotees, “There is no way we’re going to move that demonstration out of Lee Park.”

“[The Robert E. Lee Statue in Emancipation Park] is the first and foremost reason that we’re having this rally, is for that park and for that statue. It’s about white genocide. It’s about the replacement of our people, culturally and ethnically. And that statue is the focal point of everything.”

Kessler goes on to claim that the city canceled the permit because attendance at the rally is expected to surpass 1,000 people, despite a permit application claiming 400. This indicates that Kessler may have known for some time, given the fervor and enthusiasm on social media, that the rally’s future could be jeopardized due to his planning failures.

After the press conference, Kessler indicated that he plans to sue the city of Charlottesville, but he may have a tough case to make.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2017/08/08/jason-kessler%E2%80%99s-unite-right-rally-must-move-different-park-according-charlottesville
Emancipation Park is pretty small and is adjacent to the city's historic downtown. The new location is on the north side of the city, is much larger and also seems more easily contained.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Also there's some issue with the rally location:

Emancipation Park is pretty small and is adjacent to the city's historic downtown. The new location is on the north side of the city, is much larger and also seems more easily contained.

Oh my god, if it's like any other facebook event maybe 50 to 100 people will actually show up

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

KomradeX posted:

Oh my god, if it's like any other facebook event maybe 50 to 100 people will actually show up
I considered that but it wouldn't surprise me reading these Nazi forums like therightstuff.biz. Not all Nazis are going to push the going button on FB. They're really viewing this as their big coming out party, though on the other hand the presence of the Warlocks MC and the presence of some of the most extreme Hitlerist groups like NSM is deterring some. We'll find out on Saturday though.

Charlottesville subreddit (well, they seem to know the geography) thinks if Kessler, the chief organizer, goes ahead with the rally near downtown it'll be a clusterfuck.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 23:53 on Aug 9, 2017

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i wonder if chris-chan will be at the counter protest

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I know the Fallout/Elder Scrolls derail is over, but I just wanted to point out it's hilarious that in both New Vegas and Skyrim the nominal good faction are incredibly inept and can't articulate why they should be supported by the player, but they still expect to be treated as the Heroes.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Slogging through the Google dude & Jordan Peterson interview and I found a really succinct rundown of their really bad view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agU-mHFcXdw&t=345s

This is the fundamental fallacy behind the whole Peterson-derivative pile of anti-diversity. "Racism is treating people differently based on race, therefore treating people differently based on race is racism." This is the central argument you can attack any time someone tries to bring up this garbage.

It's a basic logical fallacy: If all X are Y, it's not necessarily true that all Y are X. They completely ignore the ongoing systems of inequality that Diversity & Inclusiveness groups work to correct. And as it turns out, treating people differently based on their race or gender or some other feature can either be racist, antiracist, or something else entirely depending on what that treatment actually is.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Organizers of the Unite the Right rally are spending a lot of effort trying to convince people not to bring guns. Also there's fighting over whether women should be allowed.

Also they're warning their people not to attack the 1,000 or so clergymembers who are showing up to protest against them. Well at least they've got their priorities.

there's gonna be more people than that at the counter protest, heh. folks should come on out

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

It's a basic logical fallacy: If all X are Y, it's not necessarily true that all Y are X. They completely ignore the ongoing systems of inequality that Diversity & Inclusiveness groups work to correct. And as it turns out, treating people differently based on their race or gender or some other feature can either be racist, antiracist, or something else entirely depending on what that treatment actually is.
well yes, but they believe cultural & systemic inequalities, and that women, black people, muslims, etc are :biotruths: "simply like that" :biotruths:

trying to argue that systemic issues exist will actually immediately trigger veteran frog people. its quite impressive.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Kjoery posted:

well yes, but they believe cultural & systemic inequalities, and that women, black people, muslims, etc are :biotruths: "simply like that" :biotruths:

trying to argue that systemic issues exist will actually immediately trigger veteran frog people. i know this from experience.

Good, it means no one around is going to fall for their bullshit. They can't fall back on "You're racist". They have to fall back on the biotruths themselves, and no one has time for that poo poo. We already dealt with the general case of Bell Curve arguments back in the 90s: https://www.nyu.edu/gsas/dept/philo/faculty/block/papers/Heritability.html

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

MizPiz posted:

I know the Fallout/Elder Scrolls derail is over, but I just wanted to point out it's hilarious that in both New Vegas and Skyrim the nominal good faction are incredibly inept and can't articulate why they should be supported by the player, but they still expect to be treated as the Heroes.

New Vegas goes out of its way to show that the NCR aren't "good guys" at all, and are only interested in the Mojave insofar as they can exploit it in the interests of landlords and cattle barons back home. They only insist that they're good, and genuinely believe it, because they're blinded by their own liberal ideology. The central conflict of New Vegas is a power contest between modern and reactionary imperialisms.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

New Vegas goes out of its way to show that the NCR aren't "good guys" at all, and are only interested in the Mojave insofar as they can exploit it in the interests of landlords and cattle barons back home. They only insist that they're good, and genuinely believe it, because they're blinded by their own liberal ideology. The central conflict of New Vegas is a power contest between modern and reactionary imperialisms.

I sided with NCR in the game....does that make me a BadDem?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Well the only other good option is independent but that's deliberately ambiguous as to its long-term prospects

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Another really telling view about the ideology of anti-diversity types:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agU-mHFcXdw&t=870s

By firing him, they proved him right. They reinforced the narrative he has in his head as a victimized protagonist of free speech.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

On a more extreme example, I just had a coworker at a fast-food place get fired for melting down at a trans customer after already being a really lovely worker. She will remember this as those drat liberals firing me for my religious beliefs and not getting fired for being so grossly incompetent as to insult a customer and get lovely at coworkers.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

On a more extreme example, I just had a coworker at a fast-food place get fired for melting down at a trans customer after already being a really lovely worker. She will remember this as those drat liberals firing me for my religious beliefs and not getting fired for being so grossly incompetent as to insult a customer and get lovely at coworkers.

I'm starting to feel like the best response to not galvanize these self-ascribed protagonists is to just relentless pity them. Treat firing them like putting down Old Yeller.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

you can't win when someone is just a true blue self-absorbed rear end in a top hat bully. they will always be the hero in their twisted little story, and it's always been that way.

the problem is now there are a bunch more of them and they are really active on social media

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
More from Charlottesville.

quote:

The Central Virginia All Hazards Incident Management Team, which is part of Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM), will be stationed in Charlottesville on Saturday, in anticipation of the Unite the Right rally.

http://m.nbc12.com/nbc12/db_330650/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=m9wRzXEB

https://twitter.com/IGD_News/status/895423193120362496

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Good, it means no one around is going to fall for their bullshit.
i think you underestimate how stupid the internet has become.

alt-right ideology has pretty much fully infected youtube, and has spread quite insidiously into pretty much every other community. the fact that we manage to keep our own frog idiots contained is a miracle unto itself

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

By firing him, they proved him right. They reinforced the narrative he has in his head as a victimized protagonist of free speech.

dude created an enormous PR disaster by screaming about ~biotruths~ and insulting his coworkers by questing their ability to do computer jobs due to their boobs & vaginas. google really had no other choice but to fire him.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

dude created an enormous PR disaster by screaming about ~biotruths~ and insulting his coworkers by questing their ability to do computer jobs due to their boobs & vaginas. google really had no other choice but to fire him.

I absolutely agree and I think Google made the correct decision. But he's just an example of a systemic problem and we need to be keenly aware of the psychology of the general class of fools that he comes from.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Kjoery posted:

alt-right ideology has pretty much fully infected youtube, and has spread quite insidiously into pretty much every other community. the fact that we manage to keep our own frog idiots contained is a miracle unto itself

Yeah who knows maybe the actual structural answer is for Twitter to actually start banning bots and for the FDA to ban all of the supplements that the rear end in a top hat grifters make their profit from.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
*dips into thread after not paying attention for a while*
"wtf is a Purring Jew?"
*googles Purring Jew*
"lol"

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Honestly, I think this is one of the few times where giving people what they want is the correct response. Show them what it's really like to live every day as a victim.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i wonder if chris-chan will be at the counter protest

Only if they paint Lee's arms blue

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

*dips into thread after not paying attention for a while*
"wtf is a Purring Jew?"
*googles Purring Jew*
"lol"

it's a really good thing to call things you dont like. they also like to call tvs the electric jew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Kjoery posted:

People keep saying this, but I'd like it actually demonstrated that youtube is more frog nazi than the internet at large.