Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Egbert Souse posted:

Too Late for Tears (1949, Byron Haskin) - 4.5/5 [TCM]

Wow, this is a great noir. Never stops taking some surprise twists and turns.
Lizabeth Scott plays a fantastic femme fatale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Dark Passage (1947): A
The Marrying Kind (1952): (missed the first part but watched most of it on TCM) B

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

InterrupterJones posted:

That's funny, this is the exact same reaction I had after seeing Sausage Party.

I felt the exact same way. I can't see what it was that people liked about it. Maaaaaaybe if I was 12 I would've thought it was amazing, but I should've followed my instincts after 5 minutes and bailed. What a waste.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
The Beguiled: 2.75/5
Generally solid acting from the core cast of Colin Ferrell, Nicole Kidman, Kirsten Dunst, and Elle Fanning. The other four children actors were actually good-to-great as well, striking a nice balance between precocious humor and naïveté. But the plot was very A to B to C, resolving itself a little too simply for the expectations set by the acting and some smart mise-en-scene decisions. This means that the film ends suddenly, even as the modest runtime feels overlong. If you're into civil war period pieces, or the type of on-screen romance that takes ages to build up to, this should be great. Otherwise maybe watch something else for $15.

Lady Macbeth: 3.25/5
For British period pieces, a nice breath of exhilaration and female empowerment. It runs into a similar issue as The Beguiled with the plot resolving itself a bit too suddenly for my taste, but the journey there was fun. And the more I think about it, the more the movie seems to say about issues of female agency and morality in a patriarchal society. Those insights may or may not be intentional, but at the very least there's enough material here to leave you thinking and discussing.

Interesting to watch one after the other. One basically works up to the question of, will these women kill?!? And the other poses the (more fun, tbh) question, Just how much will this woman kill?!?!

Jay-V fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 25, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Dunkirk - 5/5 Saw it in 70mm. Incredible movie all around. Breakneck tension, gorgeous cinematography, and an ensemble cast that all perform with a realistic desperation. It reminded me of Mad Max: Fury Road in pacing. Really tight editing and script. An understated masterpiece that will probably go down as Nolan's best, and I'm completely ok with that. I'm a huge Nolan buff, but I'd say this movie works so well because it's the least "Nolan-esque" in storytelling, but maintains his masterful touch in actually filming a movie. See it in 70mm if possible.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Goosebumps (2015): B-
Went in with low expectations, but it was not too bad.

Diazepam HCl
Jun 26, 2013
Bicentennial Man (1999) - 4/5 Was pleasently surprised to see this movie age so well, even the late 90's CG was tasteful with enough practical effects to make the age barely noticeable. While this movie recieved pretty awful reviews on release, I think this movie somehow got better with age, or my standards have lowered significantly. Likely the latter. While its a pretty simple story, it was done well and worth watching again. Writing was definitely weak, but the themes and Robin Williams definitely made up for it.

It was pleasing to watch and will likely watch it again within the next couple years.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Civil War (1990, Ken Burns) - 5/5 [Netflix]

I actually watched this over the period of a month since the nine episodes range from just over an hour to 90 minutes each. Overall a magnificent work of documentary filmmaking. Burns does more with photographs and sound design than filmmakers achieve with a mammoth cast. What really makes this work is how he intertwines so many stories. One of the best are the recurring diary entries by Elisha Rhodes, all for a great payoff in the last episode. The photographs are often startling and nothing is held back. There's also a few bits here and there from archival footage, some predating The Birth of a Nation. For that matter, I love how Burns doesn't uses a single frame from a fictional Civil War film. Also, I could hear Shelby Foote talk about the Civil War for hours and not get bored. I'm going to have to check out more of Burns' work since this is the first one I've seen of his.

Hopscotch (1980, Ronald Neame) - 2.5/5 [Filmstruck]

This is a perfect example of a movie that sets up a great premise, only for it to undermine itself at every turn. It's not awful, but the funny parts aren't that funny and it's not really suspenseful. Walter Matthau stands out, at least, and seems to be putting effort in. This would be a perfect film for Steven Soderbergh to remake.

Wagon Master (1950, John Ford) - 4/5 [TCM]

Ford rarely disappoints and even his follies are still quality filmmaking. This seems most inspired by Ford's own Stagecoach, with even more focus on just characterization. I love how well he balances the many different characters. Also, some excellent photography (and Monument Valley locations, obviously).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Your Name. Have wanted to see this since it made Kermodes end of year list for 2016, and didn't disappoint. Absolutely gorgeous visually, and oh god why did I watch it in such a dusty room? 4*

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Egbert Souse posted:

The Civil War (1990, Ken Burns) - 5/5 [Netflix]

I actually watched this over the period of a month since the nine episodes range from just over an hour to 90 minutes each. Overall a magnificent work of documentary filmmaking. Burns does more with photographs and sound design than filmmakers achieve with a mammoth cast. What really makes this work is how he intertwines so many stories. One of the best are the recurring diary entries by Elisha Rhodes, all for a great payoff in the last episode. The photographs are often startling and nothing is held back. There's also a few bits here and there from archival footage, some predating The Birth of a Nation. For that matter, I love how Burns doesn't uses a single frame from a fictional Civil War film. Also, I could hear Shelby Foote talk about the Civil War for hours and not get bored. I'm going to have to check out more of Burns' work since this is the first one I've seen of his.

Ken Burns' The Vietnam War premieres on PBS Sunday September 17. I saw a preview screening this week and it looks to be as good as anything he has done.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

First watched first, out of five
4 Lions: 5
Manhattan: 4
Tour De Pharmacy: 3
Satantango: 4 (watched in 3 sittings over ~4 days)
All That Jazz: 5 (100th film I've seen this year)
Popstar: 3.5
The Love Punch: 3
Martin: 4
Appaloosa: 2
10 Cloverfield Lane: 2.5
Nine Lives: 4

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Mad Max (1979, George Miller) - 3/5 [HDNET Movies]
The Terror (1963, Roger Corman) - 2/5 [TCM]
Within Our Gates (1920, Oscar Micheaux) - 4/5 [Blu-ray]
The Symbol of the Unconquered (1920, Oscar Micheaux) - 3/5 [Blu-ray]

Am I bad person for finding Mad Max and The Road Warrior to be somewhat underwhelming, while I found Fury Road to be one of the best films of 2015? I do admire Miller's incredible use of editing and blocking, of which there's no deficiencies.

The Terror is one of those many public domain movies that always looks like a "terror" on video, but TCM aired a nice print. It's still a slog, but I like the Mario Bava styled use of color. It's really obvious the whole thing was made up as they went along, since it's almost disorienting (it was shot over a weekend, I think).

I'm slowly going through Kino Lorber's Pioneers of African-American Cinema Blu-ray set. Within Our Gates is an incredible film and edgy for its time. It goes for blood on casual "I'm not racist, but Blacks need to know their place" racists, while also satirizing Black preachers. I honestly didn't expect a 1920 film to go full edgelord on that sort of stuff. I'm really impressed by Micheaux's snappy editing style, which is more of the pace of comedies of the time than the dramas. I found The Symbol of the Unconquered to be a bit more underwhelming, especially since it has a subtitle of "The Story of the Ku Klux Klan" except they only appear for a brief scene that looks like something out of a horror movie (justifiably). Unfortunately, like many silent films, there was apparently a scene where the Klan gets taken out, but it's now lost. One problem I have with the film is that if you didn't know that it was directed by an African-American, you could easily mistake it for being a work of a racist, especially how one of the antagonists is a "mulatto". Still, it's refreshing to see silent films where characters are Black without being limited only to racial stereotypes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

A Ghost Story - 81/100

heh heh, A24 sent us a promo guy on opening night :ghost:

A24 :swoon:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A24 are killing it at the moment, I didn't realize how many of the movies I've liked recently had their name on it. They're even doing that daft Channing Tatum fake dub show on Amazon.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Between Moonlight, 20th Century Women, It Comes At Night, A Ghost Story, and upcoming The Killing of a Sacred Deer, The Disaster Artist, and Good Time...yes, I think it's fair to say that they are the absolute best right now. They're in a league of their own.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Also +1 to A24 for each of the following: Swiss Army Man, Krisha, Green Room, and The Lobster.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Checkpoint (2017): 3/10

This movie is just gloriously awful on so many levels that it transcends and is great fun to watch. I mean they couldn't even write a summary that talks about what happens - the vet and the cop are never teamed up, and the sheriff never investigates anything unlike the teaser blurbs on both imdb and netflix.. I suspect the entire thing was written by a pro wrestler because there are so many plot holes and "wait, why did they do that?" moments, it even has a totally gratuitous scene where a dude throws himself on the only grenade in the entire movie (meanwhile in the same battle a black man fires a disposable LAW rocket launcher four or five times for no particular reason, and a little girl convinces the military to effectively invade a small farm in a small town on the eastern seaboard.)

Trailer:
https://g.co/kgs/jXbrst

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 1, 2017

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Recently watched Green Room too. Meh, it was okay.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Checkpoint (2017): 3/10

This movie is just gloriously awful on so many levels that it transcends and is great fun to watch. I mean they couldn't even write a summary that talks about what happens - the vet and the cop are never teamed up, and the sheriff never investigates anything unlike the teaser blurbs on both imdb and netflix.. I suspect the entire thing was written by a pro wrestler because there are so many plot holes and "wait, why did they do that?" moments, it even has a totally gratuitous scene where a dude throws himself on the only grenade in the entire movie (meanwhile in the same battle a black man fires a disposable LAW rocket launcher four or five times for no particular reason, and a little girl convinces the military to effectively invade a small farm in a small town on the eastern seaboard.)

Trailer:
https://g.co/kgs/jXbrst

Uh pal, pro wrestlers are trained to create clear comprehensible narratives with violence.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
To be fair, the main wrestler involved with that movie is Goldberg.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I want to know who thought up the Abe Lincoln civil war white house --> south carolina escape tunnel, and why the bad guys needed to take over a battleship to accomplish using that tunnel. I know underpants gnomes with better planning.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It Comes At Night - 72/100 - Decently thought provoking, well shot/acted suspense film in zombocalypse-style trappings. Would've scored higher but it didn't stick the landing.

Dunkirk (70mm) 90/100 - Nolan's finest hour, if you ask me. I'd soured on the man quite a bit in the last 5 years but Dunkirk makes up for all of his recent cinematic dithering throughout the 2010s. I might even say Dunkirk has few peers within the genre, though it certainly owes a monumental debt not only to The Thin Red Line...but also to Malick's more experimental autobiographical films post-ToL, especially in the way it bobs and weaves through the temporal corners (or waves, if you prefer) of narrative structure, subduing classical line delivery in exchange for storytelling through facial expression and body language. The score is genuinely fantastic, if a bit distracting at times, and the entire film is a masterwork of careful editing and interweaving. Overall, it feels like a film that contains almost all of the trademark strengths of Nolan's directorial capacity while sidestepping nearly all of his weaknesses, and in terms of emotional resonance it breaks new ground for a director too often mired in cold, utilitarian feeling.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 2, 2017

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Watched over the last week:

Linda Linda Linda (2005) (rewatch) 5/5 - This has become probably my favorite high school movie. Also a great movie about being in a band and one of the best out of nowhere dream sequences.
Sparrow (2008) 5/5 - Johnnie To is so good. An endlessly charming movie about pickpockets that a lot of the time feels like a musical without the singing.
Woman is the Future of Man (2004) 3/5
Police Story (1985) 4/5
Rear Window (1954) 5/5
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) 3/5

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Dunkirk (70mm) Overall, it feels like a film that contains almost all of the trademark strengths of Nolan's directorial capacity while sidestepping nearly all of his weaknesses, and in terms of emotional resonance it breaks new ground for a director too often mired in cold, utilitarian feeling.

You worded my thoughts better than I could. What size screen was your 70mm? Our's was a standard sized screen, but it still looked great. I would kill to see it on a larger format like IMAX.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

You worded my thoughts better than I could. What size screen was your 70mm? Our's was a standard sized screen, but it still looked great. I would kill to see it on a larger format like IMAX.

I don't work there but from what I understand the Hollywood in Portland is the only true 70mm screening in the state. Auditorium size is ~375 with a 50ft screen, don't remember the exact dimensions, but I'll ask a guy I know. Another theater manager where I work went down and saw a purported "70mm" screening at Regal Bridgeport and apparently a huge section was cropped out.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Wild In The Streets (1968): A
Delightful movie!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I seem to fail to make the jump to the new version of this thread every year, but I do like it. Anyway my rating system is "reasons to see the movie" because I almost always find a reason that every movie can be watched.

Valerian - Firstly, see it if you're a Luc Benson fan, since everyone I know who is loves this. I'm not as hot on him overall, but I did think the utter audacity of this is something to observe and I think I like it the more that I think about it.

Emoji Movie - A friend said, "See it to hear Patrick Stewart play poop" which is really the best reason. It's also interesting to me, to see what is considered "the worst movie in years," but, really, I've seen a lot worse. The film has no soul but it's competently written (in the sense that the events of the story and plot are mostly logical (outside of some weird things clearly influenced by financial considerations) and it is competently animated and voice-acted and not horribly offensive (although they do pointlessly say a word that's considered a racial slur in 2017), so I guess I'd say see it to see Hollywood story telling--and the general use of the English language--distilled to its most basic formulaic essence. Like if you were trying to teach someone English, this would help them understand common phrases and their usage.

A Ghost Story - Possibly the closest of these three films that I actually came to walking out of, because the film's pace is challenging, but I'm glad I stayed. Because somewhere around 20 minutes in, the film really had me under a spell. There is an extreme economy of action which requires focus to attend to, and the great use of sound is really engrossing; I'm not a person who honestly even cares if people are having full conversations in movie theaters, but this film is just so captivating (in the literal meaning of that world) that every time someone opened their food, chewed on their popcorn, or even if I adjusted my position in the seat, it was annoying, as any sort of distraction from the experience of the film became offensive to me. With that said, the world that I was being engrossed in was for me was completely nihilistic (there is a pretense of silver lining that I just did not buy), which can be very taxing. I'm not 100% sure I liked this film, but I don't think David Lowry gives a gently caress if the audience likes this or not, if you like film as a sensory experience, see this (there's not a ton of reason to see this in a theater, especially given the aspect ratio, although a theater is a quiet, dark place with a great sound system which is how this movie should be seen).

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
It only took 20 years but I finally watched The Full Monty yesterday on the wifes persuasion.

Really enjoyed it. Now I'm no acting connoisseur but I have always felt Robert Carlyle was a magnificent actor and he showed it there. Didn't cross my mind for one second that this was the same actor who played Begbie or Hamish Macbeth.

Its funny because I must have been 10 when that movie came out and I vividly remember my folks buying the VHS and me not being allowed to watch it. Something which always resonated with me because similar things happened with my dads Roy Chubby Brown tapes.

Of course i was old enough to understand it was about strippers but didn't think much at the time. My mum was a bit overprotective though, she didnay let me watch the shawshank redemption because of 5 seconds of shagging so you can understand why the thought of a bunch of yorkshire men flapping their willows was a bit much.

Its only watching it as an adult that I realise its a great story that touches on some heavy themes - suicide, poverty, unemployment, but still has a feel good vibe to it.

Also couldn't help but think I recognised Carlyles tubby mate and lo and behold its Rob Baratheon from Game of Thrones aka Mark Addy.

Top film.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

Macarius Wrench posted:

Its funny because I must have been 10 when that movie came out and I vividly remember my folks buying the VHS and me not being allowed to watch it. Something which always resonated with me because similar things happened with my dads Roy Chubby Brown tapes.

Well you know Mr Chubby Brown has a lot of output, that should keep you going for a while, oh how I envy you

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Dunkirk (2017, Christopher Nolan) - 4.5/5 [theatrical/4K DLP]

Inception is still one of my all-time favorites, but I think Nolan has made another great film. I think some of the timeline stuff was a little unclear, but I think it's more of a motivation to get you to watch it again.

Body and Soul (1925, Oscar Micheaux) - 3/5 [Blu-ray]

I forgot to write any notes, but I found it to be just alright. Still haven't seen anything as audacious as Within Our Gates.

The Front Page (1931, Lewis Milestone) - 4/5 [Blu-ray - American version]

Wow, I had held off this film for ages because every video was garbage quality. This is a slick early talkie, with some impressive camera and editing work, plus a cracking script. It says a lot that it has a lot of the same energy its remake His Girl Friday has.

Forbidden Zone (1980, Richard Elfman) - 4.5/5 [Blu-ray]

This is one of the most insane films I've seen. It's like if Ed Wood and Alejandro Jodorowsky collaborated on a movie.

Carnival of Souls (1962, Herk Harvey) - 4.5/5 [Blu-ray - rewatch]

I was lukewarm on this the first time, but I think it's a great film the second time. Stunning lighting in every shot and constructed like a feature-length Twilight Zone episode. Only wish that Harvey had made more films since this is a terrific debut for someone who was only making industrial films.

The Zodiac Killer (who cares) - 0/5 [TCM DVR]

Pure poo poo. I needed a shower after seeing this. Worse that it was made to cash in on the actual killings. This is the worst movie I've ever seen.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I've really liked everything Jeff Nichols has ever done (I'd put Take Shelter among the best of the new century), but man Loving is boring as poo poo.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Phantom Of The Paradise (rewatch): 5/5
Crimes Of Passion: 4/5
The Squid And The Whale: 3/5

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

License To Kill (1989, Rewatch): A
I don't understand why people don't like this movie. It's one of my favorites, and I favor Dalton's interpretation of Bond.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Detroit - 73/100

A respectful attempt to do justice to a difficult subject. After a strong and multifaceted opening third the movie simply loses its way. Bigelow apparently thinks dramatic interpretation of heinous behavior is more interesting than the context it exists within, which isn't the case. In addition, a few glaring plot holes and extremely amateurish use of 'embedded' cinematography further mar a film that could've been so much more.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

License To Kill (1989, Rewatch): A
I don't understand why people don't like this movie. It's one of my favorites, and I favor Dalton's interpretation of Bond.

It's so mean and that can be alienating to Bond audiences, but it's fantastic.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Nerve - concept has some promise, and all the exaggerated lighting + youth culture overload is fun for a while — but it unfortunately never builds to much. Part of the issue is how tame the "horror" is, but I don't think they'd need a hard R and megagore to really sell it. Giving the characters more depth beyond dead brothers and liking the Wu-Tang Clan would help

The Dead Zone - has a lot going for it, especially a great lead performance by Walken, but plays like a Greatest Hits version of the book without fitting the pieces together into a satisfying story. Weird mix of a quick pace, jumping from episode to episode, without anything really driving the plot. Could have been significantly better if it chopped one or two of the subplots and just focused on Johnny's weird life for a while

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Beastmaster 2 (Apparently a rewatch since the entirety of my Beastmaster memory all was covered by this film): Watch it if you want to see a pretty campy 90s film that, as my friend said "was a lot less of a chore than a Mondo (the Tucson tradition of showing bad movies on a Monday night where the crowd is encouraged to poo poo on the film [it's too bad most people aren't funnier or it would be as cool as it sounds]) movie usually is."

Atomic Blonde: See it if you got like a major boner for Charlize Theron, I guess.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Into The Woods (2014): C+

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Rick posted:

Atomic Blonde: See it if you got like a major boner for Charlize Theron, I guess.

Sold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai
4/5, really cool little story about old fashioned people facing a modernizing world

Atomic Blonde: 3/5, good fights and a twisting story thats like being a spy: you can't trust anyone