Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Danyull posted:

I really wish they would add in an indicator of where the first circle is going to be when you're on the plane still. This game is kind of starting to get stale because my only options seem to be either dropping in Pochinki/School or rolling the dice on whether or not I'm going to spend the rest of the game running to catch up to the circle while never having anything but a shotgun and a level one vest. Sometimes if I'm too far from the circle and I can't find a car fast enough to stop this from happening I'll just quit the game right then because it's not fun to be holding Shift+W for 15 minutes straight, stopping only to heal my rapidly deteriorating health.

Get a vehicle?

When I want a slower game I love dropping on the far edges of the map and I rarely ever chase the blue on foot. Knowing where the vehicle spawns are and which roads have vehicle spawns help a lot. The military base always ends up with more vehicle spawns than survivors it seems. Also check for vehicles as you land, this can help you pick a smarter looting pattern.

Don't discount boats either, rarely does the first circle end up too far from a shore.

The bunkers and even the prison are other central high-traffic areas you can try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Its probably just confirmation bias or whatever, but I feel like the vehicle spawning is really, really streaky. Like all the vehicles will spawn along one road in a short distance and you won't be able to find them anywhere else on the map.

Like the road along the southwest of the map. There are a ton of car spawns there and it seems like either no cars spawn along the entire loving thing and you're like what the gently caress this loving sucks, or there is a dacia every 10 meters.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

fknlo posted:

Was able to get this done but it's leading me down some loving rabbit holes where I can't open settings from the start menu and also the fix path that I found for that by adding another administrator account doesn't work because I can't add new users :psyduck: . Not sure if I want to gently caress with all of that today or not.

I had a five-second hangup about five seconds after jumping out of the plane every match. Switching my install over to an SSD fixed the issue almost entirely. I think this video might be overthinking it.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

f#a# posted:

I had a five-second hangup about five seconds after jumping out of the plane every match. Switching my install over to an SSD fixed the issue almost entirely. I think this video might be overthinking it.

Looking at his specs I'm pretty confident it is already installed on an SSD

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
On a scale from 0 to DOTA, how penetrable is this game?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Unlucky7 posted:

Good question. I'd rate it somewhere between a 2 and a slightly janky mod that is somehow better and less janky than the base game

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I wish cars were easier to find.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Danyull posted:

I really wish they would add in an indicator of where the first circle is going to be when you're on the plane still.

:lol: are you for real?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

This is something my duo / squadmates struggle with. If you drop in Yasnaya and the first zone is pushing us halfway to mil island, you can't wait until the zone passes you to start looking for a car, 'cause they're all gonna be taken by other teams that didn't loot goblin the whole first timer.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Does the end date on the limited time crates mean they will be unopenable after that or just won't be in game to buy anymore?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Danyull posted:

I really wish they would add in an indicator of where the first circle is going to be when you're on the plane still. This game is kind of starting to get stale because my only options seem to be either dropping in Pochinki/School or rolling the dice on whether or not I'm going to spend the rest of the game running to catch up to the circle while never having anything but a shotgun and a level one vest. Sometimes if I'm too far from the circle and I can't find a car fast enough to stop this from happening I'll just quit the game right then because it's not fun to be holding Shift+W for 15 minutes straight, stopping only to heal my rapidly deteriorating health.

Sometimes you get screwed but I feel like this really doesn't happen often enough to make it worth changing gameplay mechanics. This is only a problem if you drop near the edge of the map and the first circle is kind of over towards the opposite edge and you wait a while to start running and you are totally unable to find a vehicle. Like yeah that's a bummer but you can't win 'em all. :shrug:

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

NeuralSpark posted:

This is something my duo / squadmates struggle with. If you drop in Yasnaya and the first zone is pushing us halfway to mil island, you can't wait until the zone passes you to start looking for a car, 'cause they're all gonna be taken by other teams that didn't loot goblin the whole first timer.

Don't loot yasnaya until the blue is on you.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
Okay, I really think something weird is going on with my movement and I don't think it's just a normal feature or natural jankiness of the game.

It's most common after I've been running for at least a dozen steps but, even after letting go of 'W', I will continue to run for at least another 7 or 8 steps, sometimes more. Even if I go immediately prone from running I'll crawl another 7 or 8 'steps' with no buttons pressed. Often times I have to MASH THE poo poo out of 'S' just to stay in one place when this happens and (of course) after the 10 seconds of 'forward momentum' passes I start going backwards so I gently caress up the boost or heal I'm trying to use. This isn't a consistent thing either - I can't seem to replicate it with any reliability. Is this really just momentum - is it this bad for everyone else? Is it possible this could be related to auto-run? Is there anything that shows if auto-run is actually on? I've got auto-run bound to '=' though it doesn't seem to work for me and there's zero indication that it's 'on' or not.

Obviously I've got a lot of questions. I understand I can't stop, move, and go backwards on a dime like other FPS games but this seems excessive. It's literally the only thing I haven't been able to figure out about this dumb wonderful game. Any goon input would be greatly appreciated.

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

Danyull posted:

Not having the circle in the air is a better option that knowing it in advance. A big part of the game is time management, and not knowing where the circle is going to land.
If not finding a car is a major problem for you, stop looting first and instead look for a car before you go loot. There are plenty of areas with a large amount of car spawns close together, you should be able to find one while parachuting and then move to where you want to spawn without issue. Do you lose some time to looking/travel? Sure, but now you have a car.

tl;dr The game is all about time management and risk/reward. If you're getting caught in the blue without a car on a regular basis, make different choices.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

TracerBullet posted:

Okay, I really think something weird is going on with my movement and I don't think it's just a normal feature or natural jankiness of the game.

It's most common after I've been running for at least a dozen steps but, even after letting go of 'W', I will continue to run for at least another 7 or 8 steps, sometimes more. Even if I go immediately prone from running I'll crawl another 7 or 8 'steps' with no buttons pressed. Often times I have to MASH THE poo poo out of 'S' just to stay in one place when this happens and (of course) after the 10 seconds of 'forward momentum' passes I start going backwards so I gently caress up the boost or heal I'm trying to use. This isn't a consistent thing either - I can't seem to replicate it with any reliability. Is this really just momentum - is it this bad for everyone else? Is it possible this could be related to auto-run? Is there anything that shows if auto-run is actually on? I've got auto-run bound to '=' though it doesn't seem to work for me and there's zero indication that it's 'on' or not.

Obviously I've got a lot of questions. I understand I can't stop, move, and go backwards on a dime like other FPS games but this seems excessive. It's literally the only thing I haven't been able to figure out about this dumb wonderful game. Any goon input would be greatly appreciated.

Hmm, I had a problem that sounds kind of like this until I upgraded from 8 to 16 gb RAM. My problem seemed to occur when the game maxed out my memory usage, since this game likes to use up to 12 at random times,- so it could be related to that, idk

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LOL that power options change actually fixed the lag issue i've been bitching about (at least for the match i just played). what the gently caress.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Looking at his specs I'm pretty confident it is already installed on an SSD

Correct, the game is already on an SSD. I'll be playing later tonight so I should know if the fix in that video works for more than one game.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
Loot goblin can last until third circle or so while in blue, fourth or fifth with some extremely strong luck on meds. If you loot goblin, learn when to push your luck, learn fast looting, and learn efficient pathing to maximize your loot.

Also, be the überdick, pop two tires on all the vehicles you pass if you're the first by them.

Make your choice when landing: goblin, hunter, or tactical stealth. Give it 30 seconds, even. If you ride toward the end of the flight, though, you might lose time while landing. Early jumps have additional time because the plane has to clear and drop everyone first, so factor this in.

RizieN posted:

Even if that's all it boils down to I still want to loving see it. Sometimes you'll learn about new hiding/camping/pussy-rear end-bitch-loving-scum spots too.

I wanna see a heatmap of kills and deaths. It might be more telling than anecdotal killcams, though it's likely less inspiring.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Are the black pleated skirt or the white school skirt valuable? My friend and I each opened one, this forced week wait to sell is rough. Two more days

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Are the black pleated skirt or the white school skirt valuable? My friend and I each opened one, this forced week wait to sell is rough. Two more days

Nah, just gift them to me. I wanna look nice.

$390 for the skirt, $18 for the school shirt, I don't see anything for a school skirt

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Hockles posted:

Nah, just gift them to me. I wanna look nice.

$390 for the skirt, $18 for the school shirt, I don't see anything for a school skirt

both skirts are in the locked case, just different rarities

Whole lotta awkward upskirting that goes on in the game it turns out

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I wish this game had Red Bull vending machines in the cities that you could buy with BP. But only if you had to chug them right then and there and then throw them into a little trash can Ryo Hazuki style

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

nachos posted:

I wish this game had Red Bull vending machines in the cities that you could buy with BP. But only if you had to chug them right then and there and then throw them into a little trash can Ryo Hazuki style

I think there should be a guaranteed gas can inside every gas station or outside by a pump.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Whole lotta awkward upskirting that goes on in the game it turns out

Where are my nude mods? They said there would be modding!

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Groovelord Neato posted:

LOL that power options change actually fixed the lag issue i've been bitching about (at least for the match i just played). what the gently caress.

This usually means you have a psu not rated to support a full load from your graphics card, so it didn't sound that surprising to me, but if you have plenty of juice it is real strange. Power shortages are notorious for having ambiguous symptoms of it doesn't just force a component to drop entirely.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why would that cause network lag.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Unlucky7 posted:

Gealar
May 2, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

why would that cause network lag.

Have you ever been around a fan or light that dims/slows down when something power intensive comes on the same circuit? Same idea for the computer. Something kicks on that requires a bunch of power and it slows down the rest as power is diverted.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Gealar posted:

Have you ever been around a fan or light that dims/slows down when something power intensive comes on the same circuit? Same idea for the computer. Something kicks on that requires a bunch of power and it slows down the rest as power is diverted.

imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Unlucky7 posted:

The learning curve is not bad. It's mostly pretty self-explanatory - jump off the plane, find loot, kill dudes with the loot you find. Maybe watch a streamer for a little while to get an idea how a good player plays. I don't really ever watch streams but I watched a couple hours of Chocotaco while doing some mindless work one night and he was educational and chill. Aside from getting a feel for the guns there aren't really any mechanics that you need to master. This dude summed it up pretty well:

ControlledBurn posted:

tl;dr The game is all about time management and risk/reward.

I started playing a week or two ago and I feel like I learn a little every game about what works/what doesn't, what risks are worth taking, what landing spots are good, when to start moving towards the circle, etc. I am not good and often get my rear end handed to me but I'm still having fun.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope

I've got the white school skirt too. The 'value' should come out tomorrow once all of the items which were opened ASAP in the crate become available for sale. I hope it'll be a nice payday, but of course there's a part of me that wants to hold onto it to 'look cool' and possibly have something that may go up in value a year or two down the road when these crates are no longer available.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Hmm, I had a problem that sounds kind of like this until I upgraded from 8 to 16 gb RAM. My problem seemed to occur when the game maxed out my memory usage, since this game likes to use up to 12 at random times,- so it could be related to that, idk

Thanks for answering - I actually just upgraded from 8 to 16 myself. I set the launch option of -maxMem=13000 but I have no idea if that's where it's supposed to be. This weird running issue was definitely happening before and now after the upgrade - I've got pretty much every setting (including screen scale) rock bottom to try and get as smooth as possible.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gealar posted:

literally never happened in any game ever before.

but man does that make a world of difference.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
https://clips.twitch.tv/DarlingNeighborlyTireNomNom

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ControlledBurn posted:

Not having the circle in the air is a better option that knowing it in advance. A big part of the game is time management, and not knowing where the circle is going to land.
If not finding a car is a major problem for you, stop looting first and instead look for a car before you go loot. There are plenty of areas with a large amount of car spawns close together, you should be able to find one while parachuting and then move to where you want to spawn without issue. Do you lose some time to looking/travel? Sure, but now you have a car.

tl;dr The game is all about time management and risk/reward. If you're getting caught in the blue without a car on a regular basis, make different choices.

The only thing I would change is making the first circle a bit bigger. I feel like right now it can cut off way too much of the loving map and it's annoying when they're talking up their 8km square map that is basically 8 km for all of 5 minutes before it becomes 4km or much less. Feels balanced really well for squads the way it is, less so for solos and duos.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

when the h*ck are first person servers coming to oceania :argh:

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

What's the best play to try and outheal enemies in the very last closing circle (ie when it closes fully with a poo poo ton of damage). Make sure you're injured beforehand so you can pop a medkit/first aid a bit in advance?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Shooting them?

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

Sphyre posted:

when the h*ck are first person servers coming to oceania :argh:

It's cool dude, you don't have to censor words on the internet. You can even use dirty language.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

ControlledBurn posted:

It's cool dude, you don't have to censor words on the internet. You can even use dirty language.

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

ControlledBurn posted:

What the f*ck? Really?

• Locked thread