Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

WrenP-Complete posted:

Also rats love to climb on it. I've spent many hours this summer ripping English ivy off my sisters' property.

A special rat ladder to your roof, you aren't lying. My old house had a big problem because of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
One time I went with a volunteer group to help clean up an old, neglected cemetery in our town. The whole thing was just acres and acres of English ivy growing around and up trees, which sometimes you'd hack through and find a tombstone marker or statue completely buried in the ivy. Also apparently yellowjackets loving love to nest in that poo poo, because just about everyone there got stung at least once that day.

TL,DR: gently caress English ivy

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

kid sinister posted:

Thirding English Ivy and that it's a horrible weed. It will climb and cling to ANYTHING. What's worse is that it always doesn't stay attached:

That's a pretty good metaphor for capitalism

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Thirding English Ivy and that it's a horrible weed. It will climb and cling to ANYTHING. What's worse is that it always doesn't stay attached:

Wow, this is great.

I have a ton of english ivy in my backyard. The neighbor directly behind me with whom I share a fence does exactly zero yard maintenance, so peering over the fence is like looking into a dense jungle. About once a month I spend a good hour cutting all the vines/tree growth back so that it doesn't completely overtake the fence and progress into my yard.

I do leave a few strands of ivy up, however, as they look kinda nice. :)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't think there's any English ivy in that pic btw. The leaves aren't lobed.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
This makes me sad because after spending every weekend pulling up weeds, the word "weed" triggers me and now I can't help but think of all the god drat weeds growing on and climbing my fence.

Well I would say I'm only half serious.

Anyway I can't do much about the ivy because the owners planted them there. They planted them in all the units to provide some kind of cover among the patios so if I pulled mine out then it would just stick out really badly.

I did spend the morning with some shears and just cutting off the ugly/dead/broken vines through and then tying them up with twine to get them to grow better. Some of these vines are so long, like easily 12+ ft and we're getting to the point where they were re-burrowing back into the ground? I dunno if that's the right word. My plant vocabulary is limited to "branch" and "roots" and "leaves" really.

At least I found out what "air roots" are though. I saw them before but until you guys told me what plants these are I honestly thought it was some kind of fungus and my first instinct was to just burn it all to the ground.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 10, 2017

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Uh, is it possible for a pitcher plant to eat too many bugs?

I left a nepenthes ventricosa in my building's basement under a desklamp for awhile because the laundry room was full of flies. It ate maybe 20 of them? More? It's a pretty young plant and I'm seeing a brownish bruise starting to spread around the base of one of the pitchers.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pitchers often "burn" around spots where bugs are as a normal part of the digestion process. They also die back after a time as part of the natural leaf growth-and-death cycle.

But yours may be stressing from lack of light. "Basement with a desk lamp" doesn't sound very good.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Pitchers often "burn" around spots where bugs are as a normal part of the digestion process. They also die back after a time as part of the natural leaf growth-and-death cycle.

But yours may be stressing from lack of light. "Basement with a desk lamp" doesn't sound very good.

Oh, good to hear! I moved it back to the windowsill after a night so hopefully it should be fine.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah, that vine is English ivy, and you can do whatever you want to it because it is an evil monster weed that will always grow back. It will eventually consume you, your home, and everyone you've ever loved.

It looks pretty to me -- and low maintenance, too! Maybe I'll put some along the bamboo privacy planting I just put in :unsmigghh:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Honestly I think basement with a desk lamp could be a pretty ideal growing situation, if the bulb was sufficiently bright and the lamp well-positioned.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

kid sinister posted:

:wth:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Kenning posted:

Honestly I think basement with a desk lamp could be a pretty ideal growing situation, if the bulb was sufficiently bright and the lamp well-positioned.

What type of bulb does well? A CFL?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

EagerSleeper posted:

What type of bulb does well? A CFL?

Grow bulbs. Regular fluorescents have wavelengths that match up well to plants, but grow lamps match even better. They mainly do it by using different phosphor coatings inside the bulb.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Reporting back:
You were right about the lavender in this area. Managed to kill two different varieties in pots on the patio, :rip: but almost everything else I've planted is doing really well. So many tiny tomatoes! :3:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

kid sinister posted:

Grow bulbs. Regular fluorescents have wavelengths that match up well to plants, but grow lamps match even better. They mainly do it by using different phosphor coatings inside the bulb.

What kind of color temperature / power should I look for, btw? I've got a hand-full of 5000k / 450 lumen LED bulbs that I decided were too blue for my basement, but I've held onto them because I had a wild idea in the back of my mind of building a little indoor garden rack.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Hubis posted:

What kind of color temperature / power should I look for, btw? I've got a hand-full of 5000k / 450 lumen LED bulbs that I decided were too blue for my basement, but I've held onto them because I had a wild idea in the back of my mind of building a little indoor garden rack.

6500k for plants

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Grow bulbs are mostly a scam honestly. One of the members of the BACPS is an optical engineer who did an extensive analysis of the efficacy of different sorts of artificial lighting, including start-up cost, energy cost, photosynthetic efficiency, and all sorts of stuff and it turns out that a regular T8 tube at 4500-6500k was overall the most efficient. That was a couple of years ago, and LED costs have gone down while quality has improved, but it's still true that things marketed as grow bulbs are mostly just 10%-25% more expensive for no particular reason. Now, if you need to control color temperature for growing cannabis I can't speak to that, but for regular decorative tropicals regular fluorescents are fine, so any CFL will work, provided it's bright enough. I recommend something with a higher color temperature, since it shows the plants better.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Kenning posted:

Grow bulbs are mostly a scam honestly. One of the members of the BACPS is an optical engineer who did an extensive analysis of the efficacy of different sorts of artificial lighting, including start-up cost, energy cost, photosynthetic efficiency, and all sorts of stuff and it turns out that a regular T8 tube at 4500-6500k was overall the most efficient. That was a couple of years ago, and LED costs have gone down while quality has improved, but it's still true that things marketed as grow bulbs are mostly just 10%-25% more expensive for no particular reason. Now, if you need to control color temperature for growing cannabis I can't speak to that, but for regular decorative tropicals regular fluorescents are fine, so any CFL will work, provided it's bright enough. I recommend something with a higher color temperature, since it shows the plants better.

Yeah you're right. Still, that color temperature would put you in the cool white to daylight range, so just don't get a warm white bulb.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Has anyone tried growing wild lupine from seed? I bought a few native wildflower seeds, and that was one of them. They'd go into partially shady sandy soil near a lake in southwestern Michigan. Specifically I want to know if it's better to plant them in fall and let the winter prepare the seed, or to try cold stratification and scarification in the very early spring.

I also got some shooting star (Meadia) seeds, some downy sunflower seeds, and some compass plant seeds plus they threw in some bee balm. Those will go into my mother's garden in central Indiana with some clay soil.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Lupines.... They're an invasive species here, spreading and out competing the local plants.

Visited my parents this sunday (dad turned 65), they are better at plants and gardening than me.

This patch of bushes is really old, as old as me perhaps. Though plants have been added over time, and the blackberry bushes seem to be expanding and taking over the currant bushes. Sometimes it's hard to tell them apart from raspberries until the berries mature.

So many bumblebees, like 5 of them climbing around every stalk.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 15, 2017

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh what I would do with some land like that.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Last year I had a few crabapple trees put in and I used TreeGators to keep them watered over the first year. Unfortunately this led to some moisture issues around the trunk of one of them, and a very wet and damp Spring and early Summer seems to have made the issue worse. It looks to me as if some critters are enjoying themselves in there, but the tree assuredly is not and I really would prefer it not die. I've attached a picture of the trunk below - does anybody know if there's anything I can do at this point?

edit: fixed image

Mozi fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 16, 2017

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010
So I got this new nepenthes for 15 CAD, half off since it doesn't have any pitchers. It's pretty wild though and as a newbie to carnivorous plants I'm wondering if I've bitten off a bit more than I can chew with regards to how wild this thing is.I know a few of you are carnivorous experts so what are you thoughts? Should I try and make cuttings? Leave as is? I have it quarantied fromt he rest of my plants currently because I am trying to check it thoroughly for pests. I've found several spiders but no spider mites, scale or anything else yet. The spotting on the leaves has me a bit worried I may have missed something just given how big this plant is. The vines when stretched out are like 4 feet. Here's the album of the plant to take a look. https://imgur.com/a/AZ1HM

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Looks healthy to me. It'll probably start putting out pitchers if you slowly acclimate it to more light and humidity.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, that's a pretty good-looking plant. As Fitzy said, usually when Neps have healthy foliage but no pitchers it's because of insufficient light. For certain species/hybrids that also happens during colder seasons. Just give it time to settle into its new environment – sometimes it can take up to a year for a plant to start pitchering in a new place (although it's usually more like a month or two).

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

kedo posted:

This isn't the world's best picture, but does anyone know what kind of grass this is?

I tried to photograph a few parts that are going to seed in case that's helpful (lower left). There are a few big dead spots in my lawn, but since I didn't lay down this grass originally I'm not sure what type it is. I'd like to fill in the spots with the right kind.

That looks like the poo poo I hate in my yard, St. Augustine,--based on the tall, star-shaped seed shoots I'm seeing--but I could be wrong. If I'm right, the stuff actually looks good if you baby your lawn, but you have to water it every day and fertilize it regularly, or it looks like garbage. Good luck.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Skutter posted:

That looks like the poo poo I hate in my yard, St. Augustine,--based on the tall, star-shaped seed shoots I'm seeing--but I could be wrong. If I'm right, the stuff actually looks good if you baby your lawn, but you have to water it every day and fertilize it regularly, or it looks like garbage. Good luck.

Well that's not promising. I have a little "identify your grass type" site bookmarked but haven't had the time to figure it out yet. I appreciate it, but let's hope you're wrong! :P

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003

kedo posted:

Well that's not promising. I have a little "identify your grass type" site bookmarked but haven't had the time to figure it out yet. I appreciate it, but let's hope you're wrong! :P

+1 for St. Augustine/centipede. I hate mine! I've been mixing in ecoturfs for a while so I'm starting to hate it slightly less. Once you give up dumping chemicals every month or two it turns to poo poo pretty quick.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

kedo posted:

I hope so! It's a loving pain to deal with if you have a garden because of the stupid loving vines. They get all over everything and climb up other plants, it's aggravating. Next year we might have us a big ol' lawn fire. >:/

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mini African Violets are pretty neat.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Anyone got a possible ID for the below? I'd like to look up soil type/fertilizer info.

Was a hand-me-down from a roomate. It's done extremely well in this spot, going from 6-8 leaves this spring to the current state, and really needs a bigger pot.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

EagerSleeper posted:

Mini African Violets are pretty neat.

They totally are! Along that vein, petrocosmeas belong to the same family and are loving awesome. I have a hybrid about the size of a nickel!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Nosre posted:

Anyone got a possible ID for the below? I'd like to look up soil type/fertilizer info.

Was a hand-me-down from a roomate. It's done extremely well in this spot, going from 6-8 leaves this spring to the current state, and really needs a bigger pot.

Maybe Philodendron xanadu?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Nosre posted:

I have no idea but I love it :eyepop:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Maybe Philodendron xanadu?

I think it's a Philodendron xanadu too. :yayclod:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Hey, probably! The leaves in some of these pics online look a bit different, but maybe the species just does that--apparently it changes depending on the age/maturity of the plant. This one in an Ikea ad has even blockier leaves, for instance: http://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/catalog/products/80212362/

It did so well I'm gonna read up on how to propagate it. Once it started going nuts it shot out a number of surface roots, which I thought might turn into new plants, but they haven't yet. From reading, looks like dividing the pot might work best. It's two separate stalks, which you can see below (as well as the offshoot roots)

Thanks!!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Nosre posted:

The leaves in some of these pics online look a bit different, but maybe the species just does that--apparently it changes depending on the age/maturity of the plant.

Light exposure can do that too. Lots of foliage will get "leggy" if that plant doesn't get enough light. Other plants with non-green foliage will start producing greener leaves too if they don't get enough light. Too much light can change appearances too. Leaves can burn. Some plants will change color too. The green parts of zebra cactus will turn a rusty brown if they get too much sun.

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

after months of neglect my few sundews have a new sun porch to call their own. They had been sitting in front of a window at my old apartment and weren't doing real well so I put them outside in a partially shaded area. After a bit of sun shock they've started putting out some nice new leaves with much better color and good dew production. This pic is a few days old and they're looking even better now. The new place I've moved into has a covered sun porch with good light, temperature, and humidity. Really looking forward to seeing how much better they do there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

listrada
Jan 2, 2017
So, my voodoo lilies (Acanthophallus konjac) are doing really well. The big ones are three years old now, and are taller than the table.

When I repotted them this spring, I found 8 baby bulbs in the soil, all of which have done really well this year too. I only managed to get rid of three of them, so now I have seven plants total, and I'm positive that they're producing a million more baby bulbs as we speak.

Does anyone want any of them? They're really neat plants.