Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

gently caress, so not ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
poo poo. So the village grind starts tomorrow. I was not prepared for this.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
My experience with SWG was purely NGE where I just hit "Jedi" as a class.

In terms of being a shameless laser-sword aficionado, is it actually fun and interesting to be a Jedi in the build they're using? I've heard horror stories of the holocron grind.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
drat it, do i need to find my discs again?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Conskill posted:

In terms of being a shameless laser-sword aficionado, is it actually fun and interesting to be a Jedi in the build they're using? I've heard horror stories of the holocron grind.

The Village replaced the holocron grind. I was a village "elder" Jedi and it was one of the most cool gaming experiences I ever had. Tedious at times to be sure but it was a good encapsulation of everything I loved about this drat game. Immensely satisfying for this nerd.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Conskill posted:

It depends on whether or not you can tolerate the grind. Some people found the holocron grind unbearable because it meant Jedi were unattainable to all but the most dedicated of players, others liked it because it meant there would be so few Jedi - don't forget the game is set during the GCW so it was canon that there were basically no Jedi and a big part of the game's early appeal was that there was no 'alpha class,' and you could live out your dreams as a moisture farmer or whatever.

I personally liked the village grind better. If you wanted to get to Jedi, you had a rough idea of how to get there, but it still required time and effort to do so. I've not really played since I got to glowie status a few months back as I've been waiting on Pub 9, so looking forward to getting stuck in again.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

They really should have just never implemented Jedi at all as a playable character type. But, whiny people need their glowy swords I guess.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Several days of down time expected , they may have to do a wipe due to hardware failure. I'd be fine with that, downtime sucks though.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I swear SWG emu projects are cursed.

tacosupreme
Jun 24, 2006
ask me about men.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Several days of down time expected , they may have to do a wipe due to hardware failure. I'd be fine with that, downtime sucks though.

a wipe would be absolutely awesome and get me to log-in

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, I wouldn't be upset by a wipe. And with Pub9, maybe there'll finally be enough people online so that it's not just a server of AFK macro bots...

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Ouch, still no Jedi for a long time then.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
So, since a wipe is looking pretty likely, we up for banding together to grind up?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
gently caress yes, I'm so back if it wipes. Starting from scratch without 100s of millions of banked server best resources that spawned 1 year ago would be amazing.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I'd definitely try again if there's a wipe.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Ooo nice. Corvette went in

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Yeah a wipe makes it even more tempting to play

Shotgun not mayor.

iamthehans
May 1, 2012

Ahdinko posted:

Yeah a wipe makes it even more tempting to play

Shotgun not mayor.

I'm not playing unless you're mayor

BuckFiddy
Aug 4, 2017
So I've never played this before. Should I be excited?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Uh huh. Hardware failure. That sure is convenient.

I'm not complaining though, I wasn't going to come back but probably will if there is a wipe.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I love that it seems to be 90% of people neutral or happy about the wipe and 10% butt hurt about stuff on a test server not being permanent. This community actually is pretty cool sometimes.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Well, part of it is probably cause Basilisk has just been stagnating for years with nothing to do but the same thing, so much so that a wipe actually would actually revitalize the players more than just simply updating it. That and they probably actually needed to flush out some real ancient spaghetti code from the tables or something.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Basi up and locked. They are seeing if it needs wiping due to data corruption. Probably find out today if so.

If it does get wiped, remember you can only create 1 character per hour or it resets the one hour lock out.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
If the db tests are going as slowly as they claim, I'm skeptical we'll see Bas back up before the end of the weekend.

As cool as a wipe would be, it's not helpful in having the masses test the Pub 9 content. I'd wager there are a lot of people who stopped playing a while back because they've been waiting for Jedi and would come back - as many as there are people who will come back if there is a wipe.

I'm not fussed either way, but I get the impression the devs want to do everything they can to try and recover the databases before giving in to a wipe.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
It's going to be how quick can a WS churn out grenades honestly. Village would be pretty busy 1 week in.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Not on my work hours it won't!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Tai posted:

It's going to be how quick can a WS churn out grenades honestly. Village would be pretty busy 1 week in.

I really wanted I stockpile, I only have 2000 C12s done. I didn't think it would hit until september.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
poo poo if there's a wipe I'll actually honest to god play this again, I've never had the experience of starting on a fresh server and the crafting side of things always sounded so very interesting to play with. Just running my own little chill space business.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Ye crafting in SWG is pretty dam good. Think I'll bum rush architect and swoops on one account and do a swordsman on the other to fund it. 3 samplers and 1 combat should take care of things quite nicely.

tacosupreme
Jun 24, 2006
ask me about men.

Tai posted:

Ye crafting in SWG is pretty dam good. Think I'll bum rush architect and swoops on one account and do a swordsman on the other to fund it. 3 samplers and 1 combat should take care of things quite nicely.

how's this game even gonna work for new swordsman/rifleman if we're not getting +2000 buffs and doing expensive missions within ten minutes of login

tacosupreme fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 11, 2017

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
You won't be doing 32k missions is what.

First masters of a combat class will likely be TKM in ubese armour smashing sharnaff missions since these can be done without buffs.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Fuckit I'm reinstalling.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Am I missing something? Updates I saw suggested no wipe.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Update says they have no idea yet is all. I'm guessing most of the devs/Q&A etc are American and the server has been down since US TZ evening so it will probably get fired up post work day EST so more info will come.

Xmaspast
Aug 18, 2014
I'll probably jump on if they wipe it. I've given it a shot in the past but got sort of overwhelmed. Definitely worth jumping in to try if everyone's starting fresh.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Yeah if they wipe Basilisk, Ill play. not much point if they dont though.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Server's back, but rolled back to Pub8. Citing "stress tests" of the reboot. They say they'll try a merge with Pub9 on Monday.

In any case, the wipe doesn't seem eminent.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I really wanted that wipe, I'll probably still give it a whirl when pub 9 drops though

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Aye same. I'm not really sure why they are so stubborn about a wipe frankly. It's been up for so long now and it could do with a new boost of people. It is a test server for testing after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

A wipe would reinvigorate the economy for sure but it would delay testing the Village stuff by quite a bit. There's an argument to be made for a reinvigorated player base too, though. I guess I was totally cool with either outcome.