Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MononcQc
May 29, 2007

once interviewed at a place where the technical reviewer was familiar with my work and hated one of my open source libs :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

MononcQc posted:

once interviewed at a place where the technical reviewer was familiar with my work and hated one of my open source libs :toot:

did you get the job?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

how long do y'all wait after an application, or after an interview, before you accept/decide that you're not gonna hear anything ever from that company, and move on

i still want to find employment at IGT here but it's been a week and a half since I submitted my app and I haven't heard a peep

it's been so long since i've job hunted that i've even forgotten basic poo poo like this, lomarf

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I wait two weeks and then follow up. Sometimes the internal recruiters just forget.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Ciaphas posted:

how long do y'all wait after an application, or after an interview, before you accept/decide that you're not gonna hear anything ever from that company, and move on

i still want to find employment at IGT here but it's been a week and a half since I submitted my app and I haven't heard a peep

it's been so long since i've job hunted that i've even forgotten basic poo poo like this, lomarf

I usually send weekly check ins until they tell me to stop doing that or there's no reply for a month.

last time I got an offer from IGT, they switched it to contract from full time and at a different location than originally mentioned. :lol:

good luck making slots or w/e though.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

There have also been times I've assumed the company won't get back, and then low and behold over a month later I get the email. Tbh I think it really depends how long the ad has been up, if it's not been up for long they may not have even got round to shortlisting yet.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

wearing suits kinda owns though

no. suits suck to wear

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

akadajet posted:

no. suits suck to wear

they're an artificial confidence boost for some people and that's it. otherwise yeah, they loving suck and are a tired anachronism

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

interview status: it was scheduled to go 90 minutes and was just "here's a test, write a dinky rails app that passes it". i did it in like 40 minutes even though i didn't have any rails experience lol

the interviewer was like "well I'm impressed with your debugging skills and your process so I'll put you through to the next round, any questions?"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

interview status: it was scheduled to go 90 minutes and was just "here's a test, write a dinky rails app that passes it". i did it in like 40 minutes even though i didn't have any rails experience lol

the interviewer was like "well I'm impressed with your debugging skills and your process so I'll put you through to the next round, any questions?"

"unless the next round involves a ti-99 I'm not interested"

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

akadajet posted:

"unless the next round involves a ti-99 I'm not interested"

why not an IBM 650? just think of the posts on optimizing the drum memory.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ciaphas posted:

The key is to hope without expectation. That makes the inevitable eventual rejection (if they even bother to do so) a little easier.

:sigh:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Ciaphas posted:

after an interview if I don't get a follow up from them in a week then they are dead to me.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Management posted:

after an interview if I don't get a follow up from them in a week then they are dead to me.

If they aren't actively sucking my dick during the interview they are dead to me.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

just got a rejection email for that dodgy interview i had yesterday lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qhat posted:

i feel like these are 90% the interviewer being genuinely clueless and 10% deliberately hostile so only the people they want to get through are approved / they don't want anyone to actually make it through

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

qhat posted:

was that the interview where they asked you to imagine 4 threads on the edge of a cliff?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

St Evan Echoes posted:

was that the interview where they asked you to imagine 4 threads on the edge of a cliff?

In fact, it was!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Had a phone interview with the hiring manager at another firm which does SAR imaging, seems very promising and he said there'd be an aptitude test coming through by email within the next day or so. Sound like they want the role filled soonish so hopefully this goes a bit more rapidly than the others.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qhat posted:

aptitude test

lmao

thank god I only get jobs via nepotism so i never have to deal with this poo poo

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Bloody posted:

lol if youre incapable of putting on a suit every once in a while

most of my interviewers have been in jeans and tshirts. if i wore a suit i'd be not a culture fit'd a block from their office lmao.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Oh no they’re asking for references and I don’t have any nooooo

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Requiring references is so dumb. A lot of companies don't give them beyond confirming simply that you worked there, and it's not like someone's going to give you a reference that slates them, so what's the point?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

that happened to me once. they eventually just had me look up some random professors/coaches i had years ago and said okay that's fine, whatever.

if they're at the point where they're actually calling references, you've almost certainly got the job anyway (they actually asked for the references after they'd given me the offer in writing, lol)

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

a federal job i applied to asked for and called all my references before i did a phone interview. they were asked about specific technologies i knew but none of them were computer touchers that knew what i did/used. about 5 months later i got an e-mail saying they decided not to hire anyone.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

AnoHito posted:

that happened to me once. they eventually just had me look up some random professors/coaches i had years ago and said okay that's fine, whatever.

if they're at the point where they're actually calling references, you've almost certainly got the job anyway (they actually asked for the references after they'd given me the offer in writing, lol)

yeah he was like “you need to talk to the other director and take this dumbass test the ceo makes everyone do”

and then a few hours later he emailed like “oh yeah they reminded me to ask about references I guess”

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Luigi Thirty posted:

yeah he was like “you need to talk to the other director and take this dumbass test the ceo makes everyone do”

and then a few hours later he emailed like “oh yeah they reminded me to ask about references I guess”

that person sounds cool

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
gently caress your recruiter and cum in him/her/however they self-identify.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

i got a new job. i can finally start to stack paper. i am done with job hunting for a little while. it feels nice

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

qhat posted:

that person sounds cool

he owns multiple symbolics lisp machines

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Luigi Thirty posted:

he owns multiple symbolics lisp machines

luigi thirty meets another luigi thirty irl

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

redleader posted:

luigi thirty meets another luigi thirty irl

who was that guy who owns a bunch of connection machines

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Other than struggling with an open floorplan office my stress has gone away. I worked out and worked on my novel for the first time in ages tonight. Thospos.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

Other than struggling with an open floorplan office my stress has gone away. I worked out and worked on my novel for the first time in ages tonight. Thospos.

woot

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Luigi Thirty posted:

try passing them a null pointer

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Flaming June posted:

i got a new job. i can finally start to stack paper. i am done with job hunting for a little while. it feels nice

Grats get that 💰

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LordSaturn posted:

try passing them a null pointer
Lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Open floor plans are g a r b a g e

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

PokeJoe posted:

Open floor plans are g a r b a g e

Literally psychological torture for me because I've been jumped several times when I was younger and I *really* cannot deal with having my back to people/rooms and being unable to control noise level. I get really antsy waiting in lines or in busy stores too. Just never know when you're going to miss someone coming up on you because you couldn't see or hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

qhat posted:

Had a phone interview with the hiring manager at another firm which does SAR imaging, seems very promising and he said there'd be an aptitude test coming through by email within the next day or so. Sound like they want the role filled soonish so hopefully this goes a bit more rapidly than the others.

which

I used to work in that industry

• Locked thread