Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Papes posted:

Eh, I don't think this has been really true in some time. Vegas would love 50/50 action every game but doing that in practice is impossible. Their best long term return is in setting as accurate lines as possible to keep sharps from manipulating the lines and putting them in positions to lose money. Im sure public perception plays a part in their formula but they do have a vested interest in being extremely accurate.

I agree with most of that, I should have said that public perception is PART of the equation. My example of this is the McGregor / Mayweather fight. Back in November, Mayweather was at -2250. Today, he is at -550. You can't look at that and say "Wow Mayweather is 4x less likely to win today than he was in November."

Edit: I guess what I am saying is predicting an accurate outcome will only get you so far if public perception is skewed enough. You are probably right that the effect isn't as big as it used to be.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I would still take Hilton over a second round qb. Theres a reasonable chance one of the top 3 qbs will bounce back to you in round 3. If they don't that means another solid WR, maybe even top 12, will be there. The extra point per int is only going to matter about 10 points per year.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Watson over Smith. I'm not even mad, mahomes is coming but still.

I want to be in the league where somebody drafts Watson this year. His 49 velocity is going to cause so many picks.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hixalot posted:

I'm seeing a lot of panic on Cam Newton this year, is there any truth behind it? I don't need him to carry my team but I have him for a cheap price, and while I could move him, it would take a substantial amount of my team salary cap to do so, I'm in a "must win" year (due to expiring player contracts) with a roster of the following going into free agent auction/rookie draft.

Newton
Lamar Miller
Julio Jones
Michael Thomas
TY Hilton
Corey Coleman

Without getting into huge details, I could trade Cam for Aaron Rodgers, but huge salary differene of $17 for Cam, and $50 for Rodgers, which would leave me only about $20-25 max bid to try and get a second RB and then fill in with cheap nobodies for rest of roster. We start 2 wr, 2 RB, 1 te and a flex

Sorry for the novel, but really is Rodgers such a huge upgrade that it'd be worth essentially having below average dudes at rb2 and TE1?

I'd keep Cam personally.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RisqueBarber posted:

Going back to this, why the hate for Rodgers in the second? I'm in a 6 PT passing td and -3 interception league. Below is my beersheet and Rodgers has the clear value to me. Who would you take? (Green is my selections and red are players already drafted)

Drunk Nerds posted:

I would still take Hilton over a second round qb. Theres a reasonable chance one of the top 3 qbs will bounce back to you in round 3. If they don't that means another solid WR, maybe even top 12, will be there. The extra point per int is only going to matter about 10 points per year.

Yeah, can't argue with beersheets too much because I may not be appreciating QB scoring enough, but I go Hilton or Baldwin pretty easily here, then Brees or Brady a round or two later (or wait even longer). I actually have had Rodgers in a 6/-3 league before and it's really nice to have a set and forget QB, but not at the cost of passing up someone like Hilton.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Not gonna lie. I was targetting TY hardcore. But with these Luck injury woes, unless he's there in the 3rd/4th...I just dunno.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
As a Colts fan, I am not taking Hilton in the 2nd at all. The QB situation just makes me so nervous. Thankfully, I only have 1 draft that is not auction.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Those of you in keeper leagues, how are waiver wire acquisitions valued the following year compared to players obtained through the draft?

My league does "previous draft round -2" for retaining players, i.e. draft a player in the 6th and it will cost a 4th to keep them the following year. If an undrafted player obtained through waivers is to be kept, they will cost a 14th. These rules seem to be hastily thrown together by others in my league and it has already had an impact because I kept David Johnson for a 14th last season and had a fairly easy road to the championship. I've now been made commissioner and want to make some tweaks so that keepers don't give as big an advantage but don't know where the sweet spot is. There are currently two situations unfolding in my league that I can foresee being an issue:
  • Jordan Howard was undrafted and picked up off waivers so he is set to be kept for a 14th.
  • Michael Thomas was drafted in the 16th round and is set to be kept for a 14th.
I don't feel that keeping Jordan Howard as a 14th is fair. It can throw things off as I learned from DJ last year, and should be moved up. Michael Thomas for a 14th is in a similar situation but I'm more inclined to let it slide because that's a solid play. They drafted a sleeper and retained them on their roster the entire year so that keeper discount feels a bit more "earned" than simply winning a waiver auction mid-season.

tl,dr: How does your keeper league find a balance between retaining undrafted players vs retaining late-round draft picks if their value spikes the following season?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Teeter posted:

Those of you in keeper leagues, how are waiver wire acquisitions valued the following year compared to players obtained through the draft?

My league does "previous draft round -2" for retaining players, i.e. draft a player in the 6th and it will cost a 4th to keep them the following year. If an undrafted player obtained through waivers is to be kept, they will cost a 14th. These rules seem to be hastily thrown together by others in my league and it has already had an impact because I kept David Johnson for a 14th last season and had a fairly easy road to the championship. I've now been made commissioner and want to make some tweaks so that keepers don't give as big an advantage but don't know where the sweet spot is. There are currently two situations unfolding in my league that I can foresee being an issue:
  • Jordan Howard was undrafted and picked up off waivers so he is set to be kept for a 14th.
  • Michael Thomas was drafted in the 16th round and is set to be kept for a 14th.
I don't feel that keeping Jordan Howard as a 14th is fair. It can throw things off as I learned from DJ last year, and should be moved up. Michael Thomas for a 14th is in a similar situation but I'm more inclined to let it slide because that's a solid play. They drafted a sleeper and retained them on their roster the entire year so that keeper discount feels a bit more "earned" than simply winning a waiver auction mid-season.

tl,dr: How does your keeper league find a balance between retaining undrafted players vs retaining late-round draft picks if their value spikes the following season?

All of this defeats the purpose of keepers and if you're going to gently caress with things, just get rid of them altogether.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Matt Zerella posted:

All of this defeats the purpose of keepers and if you're going to gently caress with things, just get rid of them altogether.

:agreed:

I just inherited this mess and want to slow the bleeding a bit for the upcoming season while potentially reverting back to redraft for next year. I still own DJ so it gives me a bit of leverage because any change I potentially implement will undoubtedly screw me over the hardest.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 9, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Teeter posted:

e: I just inherited this mess and want to slow the bleeding a bit for the upcoming season while potentially reverting back to redraft for next year.

You'll probably disband the league. Part of the fun of keepers is getting a stud like DJ that late and getting to keep them for a few years. Honestly once they're in a league its pretty much impossible to get rid of without upsetting a lot of people.

Just do 3 year contracts (including the year you draft them), and 1 round penalties for each year kept. Maybe move waivers down to a 13th or 12th instead of a 14th.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RisqueBarber posted:

I guess I didn't think the -3 int was such a big deal. I only mentioned the 6 point passing touchdown in my original post. What's the norm -2?

edit: The beersheet I'm using is actually using -2 interception values so I guess Rodger's value should be even higher.

I agree, I had Carlos Hyde last year who was great until his injury. It just looks like Miami is going to take a step back this year and I don't think any of their fantasy players are worth their current ADP.

You can request a custom form with -3 int. It's a minor difference from -2. The 6 point passing TD is the bigger deal.

Also you can put an "x" or a number in the column to the left of the player's name and it will automatically black out or highlight that player.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I really like keeper settings that divide the round in half. So if a player was drafted in the 4th, they become a 2nd round pick. Undrafted players are equivalent to a 16th, so they end up in the 8th.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Pocket post, whoops.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 9, 2017

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Cheapers Keepers:

in 0.5 PPR ($200 budget)

I'm going to be keeping AB for 32$ and Devonta Freeman for 20$

The question is. Do I keep Blount for 9$, or Matt Ryan for 6$ as a third keeper?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Hi I'm a dumb dork who doesn't Know Jack poo poo About Sports but still managed to place 1st then 2nd in my 2 only years of playing FF, greatly pissing off my friends who Know About Sports. I would like to continue this pattern of annoying said friends, would this be the place to ask for advice about who I should pick for my 2 keepers this season? :downs:

This is who I had at the end of last season:

QB: Tom Brady, Derek Carr
RB: Devonta Freeman, Latavius Murray, Jordan Howard
WR: Michael Crabtree, DeAndre Hopkins, Cameron Meredith, Kelvin Benjamin, Mike Wallace, Tyler Lockett, Jarvis Landry, Malcolm Mitchell
K: Justin Tucker
DEF: KC

Thinkin' Brady and Freeman, am I stupid?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Stroop There It Is posted:

Hi I'm a dumb dork who doesn't Know Jack poo poo About Sports but still managed to place 1st then 2nd in my 2 only years of playing FF, greatly pissing off my friends who Know About Sports. I would like to continue this pattern of annoying said friends, would this be the place to ask for advice about who I should pick for my 2 keepers this season? :downs:

WR: Michael Crabtree, DeAndre Hopkins, Cameron Meredith, Kelvin Benjamin, Mike Wallace, Tyler Lockett, Jarvis Landry, Malcolm Mitchell

What are the keeper rules? Usually it is some variation of "you keep the player at the cost of a draft pick equal to the round they were drafted last year minus 1 round". Would need to know what round each of those people were drafted in.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

What's the scoring and what is the cost to keep said keepers?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

It depends on what keepers cost. Is it based on the round they are drafted or is it a flat one player costs the first round pick and two players your first two picks.

It's a matter of maximizing your value. You have a lot if talent.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You can request a custom form with -3 int. It's a minor difference from -2. The 6 point passing TD is the bigger deal.

Also you can put an "x" or a number in the column to the left of the player's name and it will automatically black out or highlight that player.

dang that owns thanks

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You can request a custom form

Hey Beersheets can't handle positional ppr right? (wr = .5, rb = .75, te = 1)

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Cheapers Keepers:

in 0.5 PPR ($200 budget)

I'm going to be keeping AB for 32$ and Devonta Freeman for 20$

The question is. Do I keep Blount for 9$, or Matt Ryan for 6$ as a third keeper?

I'd go Ryan.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

89 posted:

Not gonna lie. I was targetting TY hardcore. But with these Luck injury woes, unless he's there in the 3rd/4th...I just dunno.

Sure, sure, some fair points against TY. For the person that asked the question, I'd go with "whomever your favorite receiver remaining is, then hope a top 3 qb bounces back. If not, grab another awesome WR in round 3."

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 9, 2017

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

MrSargent posted:

What are the keeper rules? Usually it is some variation of "you keep the player at the cost of a draft pick equal to the round they were drafted last year minus 1 round". Would need to know what round each of those people were drafted in.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

What's the scoring and what is the cost to keep said keepers?

Sataere posted:

It depends on what keepers cost. Is it based on the round they are drafted or is it a flat one player costs the first round pick and two players your first two picks.

It's a matter of maximizing your value. You have a lot if talent.
Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure it's not based on what round they're drafted but I can't seem to find it on the lovely Yahoo settings page. I think last year it was some bullshit like keepers take up your LAST 2 picks.

e: yup, that's it, checked last year's draft. Keepers just take up your last 1-2 picks. Other league info: head-to-head scoring, live draft, 1 w/r flex, anything else I should include?

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 9, 2017

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

MacheteZombie posted:

I'd keep Cam personally.

That's the way I'm leaning, but so many people are down on him, and I haven't been following closely enough this off-season yo know what the cause is.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hixalot posted:

That's the way I'm leaning, but so many people are down on him, and I haven't been following closely enough this off-season yo know what the cause is.

A mix of injury concern for his shoulder and his o-line still being poo poo.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Teeter posted:

I just inherited this mess and want to slow the bleeding a bit for the upcoming season while potentially reverting back to redraft for next year. I still own DJ so it gives me a bit of leverage because any change I potentially implement will undoubtedly screw me over the hardest.

We do waiver acquisitions as 9th round keeper value. You should reward someone for drafting well, with waiver pickups being rewarded less. There's typically a lot more information on a waiver pickup in mid-season than there is a guy being drafted in the 14th round. Keeper values should reflect that difference in player evaluation difficulty.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure it's not based on what round they're drafted but I can't seem to find it on the lovely Yahoo settings page. I think last year it was some bullshit like keepers take up your LAST 2 picks.

e: yup, that's it, checked last year's draft. Keepers just take up your last 1-2 picks. Other league info: head-to-head scoring, live draft, 1 w/r flex, anything else I should include?

Those are interesting rules. How long are you able to keep someone? Like can you only keep someone for 2 years and then they go back into FA? Or can you keep them indefinitely? Personally I would keep Freeman and Howard as those are the most valuable guys on your team at this point, but could swap in Hopkins for Howard if WR looks to be thin from keepers.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/895356610071060481

:thunk:

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

I'm so torn. On the one hand, Ground Control really, really thinks Rawls is a good player. On the other hand, Lacy is literally the only guy who somehow ended up on every single dynasty team I had by the end of last season.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I thought prossise was gonna be next?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Draft all of them, you pussies

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

RisqueBarber posted:

I thought prossise was gonna be next?

Fantasy football rewards the patient

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Papes posted:

Fantasy football rewards the patient

lol fantasy football rewards no one

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Fantasy football rewards the ignorant that also forget to set their rosters for most of the year

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

89 posted:

Draft all of them, you pussies

Most of my team is handcuffs anyway, what are 3 more roster spots?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

should we have a GDT for the preseason?

guys! there's something resembling football on TV RIGHT NOW

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
New BeerSheets!

MacheteZombie posted:

Hey Beersheets can't handle positional ppr right? (wr = .5, rb = .75, te = 1)

Not without me making a mess of things. You can fake it by requesting three sheets with the various PPRs and then copy/pasting it the way you want.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Ok just gathering some thoughts on a small thing i'm having.

So last season in a league i commission, i approved a trade, was slightly lopsided but i paid it no thought really. But i just learned that the trade was manifested through a madden football game between the 2 parties, basically the winner of the madden game gets the better end of the deal. Neither ended up winning the league.

Now honestly it's a bigger deal because the buy in for this league is $300 and i don't need outcomes coming down to who was better at playing madden. What would you guys do?

Warning and if it happens again, kicked out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Forever_Peace posted:

I'm so torn. On the one hand, Ground Control really, really thinks Rawls is a good player. On the other hand, Lacy is literally the only guy who somehow ended up on every single dynasty team I had by the end of last season.

Lol going all in on lacy

• Locked thread