Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

teagone posted:

What's the bitrate of the source file? When you select the video in the Plex app on your MacBook, hit "i" on your keyboard to bring up the mediainfo and that'll show its bitrate.

3410kbps. But if I can get a 2Mbps conversion on the app, shouldn't I be able to get it on the iPhone or AppleTV too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

OldSenileGuy posted:

3410kbps. But if I can get a 2Mbps conversion on the app, shouldn't I be able to get it on the iPhone or AppleTV too?

You should. Could be something in the settings. On the AppleTV when you go into Plex app, then under settings, check to see what the "Internet Streaming" video quality option is set to. Make sure Auto Adjust Quality is off and force it to maybe 4Mbps 720p and see if that alters your bitrate options. Do the same on your iPhone as well.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Added a small FAQ section to the bottom of the OP.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

teagone posted:

Added a small FAQ section to the bottom of the OP.

cool, thanks.

i just scored a Gigabyte Brix with i7 quad core and 16gb ram to use as my plex server.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4770R+%40+3.20GHz

its replacing a Dell Inspiron laptop that had i73632QM and 8gb ram. hope to see an improvement... now just to talk comcast in giving more than 6mbs upload

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

any trip reports on plex cloud? hadn't seen that before and ran across it as an option doing a bit of server research this afternoon

eta: looks like there have been some issues, but I'd still be interested to hear if those were one offs or more prevalent problems. maybe the latter? I'll head over to the plex forums as well.

etaa: after some additional digging, the jury still seems to be out overall, with some people having issues and others seemingly doing well, along with some potential concerns around TOS for the storage. best of luck to the brave goons suffering imprisonment as noted in the post below

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 7, 2017

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Annual Prophet posted:

any trip reports on plex cloud? hadn't seen that before and ran across it as an option doing a bit of server research this afternoon

None, everyone ended up in jail before they could post.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Plex Cloud feels like the initial foray of much bigger plans in the Plex org, one that I guarantee doesn't involve "stash all your pirated media here and watch it wherever you want".

Rolled my eyes at all the people last year who uploaded TB's worth of torrents and Usenet downloads to Amazon storage to use with Plex Cloud and then got a serious dose of reality when Amazon called that out as bullshit. Then tried moving it to others. I mean, does no one remember the saga of Megaupload?

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Craptacular! posted:

And even if you don't use cable, probably the best alternative on Windows is NextPVR as a backend with Kodi as a frontend, and while NextPVR is a nice made system for something one hobbyist coder is making, it has it's weaknesses (I haven't been able to get time shifting to work very well at all.)

I was running NextPVR backend/ Kodi frontend. It mostly kind of worked, but it would crash at odd times (and not tell you about it). I never got time shifting to work.

If you value your time, Plex requires you pushing two or three buttons, maybe five to get it all set up. All of the various free options require you spend a good amount of time to make everything "work" on the frontend and backend. If you are paying for the guide data (beyond the 1 week provided by OTA or Cable companies) - the cost is essentially a wash. My only complaint right now about Plex is not having Live TV on the Plex clients based on LibreELEC/Kodi. I am assuming that will eventually be fixed.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Well megaupload was somewhat different. No one was keeping private collections of pirated poo poo up there. They were using it to widely distribute pirated poo poo. Plex isn't used for wide distribution it's kept for private use among a small circle. Still copyright infringement but not nearly the same scale as megaupload.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

GutBomb posted:

Well megaupload was somewhat different. No one was keeping private collections of pirated poo poo up there. They were using it to widely distribute pirated poo poo. Plex isn't used for wide distribution it's kept for private use among a small circle. Still copyright infringement but not nearly the same scale as megaupload.

True enough but my point is Mega set a precedent for what happens when pirated content is stored on US soil, regardless of further distribution. No cloud service here will touch it willingly, of course, the only reason people are getting away with it now is because no one has noticed yet.

Amazon's legal department certainly did, in the case of Plex Cloud.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Was it really due to the content, or just the sheer abuse of unlimited?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Was it really due to the content, or just the sheer abuse of unlimited?

Officially, unlimited abuse. Actually, "officially" no reason at all, Amazon legal isn't going to publish the finer points of their reasoning.

Unofficially, they can read public forums like anyone else. I don't remember where, but at least one person at Amazon got wind that a small but significant number of Plex Cloud users were uploading multiple terabytes of copyright content. Did one thing follow another? You'd have to ask Amazon (and I doubt they'd answer, too big a can of worms).

Don't work for Amazon btw, just remember when all this poo poo went down.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

To be honest, Plex really needs to implement some kind of encryption for cloud use otherwise nobody is going to trust uploading their stuff outside of their home.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Of course people will, come on.

I mean it would be a good thing to look into anyway, though.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Annual Prophet posted:

eta: looks like there have been some issues, but I'd still be interested to hear if those were one offs or more prevalent problems. maybe the latter? I'll head over to the plex forums as well.

etaa: after some additional digging, the jury still seems to be out overall, with some people having issues and others seemingly doing well, along with some potential concerns around TOS for the storage. best of luck to the brave goons suffering imprisonment as noted in the post below

I'm having enough trouble with it that I've stalled on ripping, encoding & uploading stuff and I'm kind of considering looking into a NAS device to replace it.

Then again, I might just drop Plex entirely. I was mostly just setting up a cloud server to watch stuff out of the house and I don't know if I have enough upstream for remote watching from a home server (around 6Mbps).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It all depends what sustainable speeds you get from the line. I have a box in Europe still that I left, and I can stream 4mbps 720p to my US system without too much issue (10mbit line but that's a lot of distance so not surprised I can't push it much harder). Generally looks fine on a 65" screen at 8 feet viewing distance, just don't expect bluray reference quality.

Theres always mobile sync too if you're using cellphones (or presumably can then airplay or cast to a set top box).

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Maybe I'll set up a temporary server on my PC to test it out someday.

How much would I be spending if I wanted to get a NAS that could transcode in 1080? I know Plex has a spreadsheet of compatible NAS devices but this stuff is kinda out of my wheelhouse so I'm a bit lost.

EDIT: Ok, googling some of these and it's way too much over what I'm willing to spend.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 8, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think the best bang for your buck as far as a Plex server (and client) go is a Shield TV. I'd get the Shield TV Pro (non-Pro doesn't have enough storage not to run into issues) and then plug in a USB hard drive.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

I think the best bang for your buck as far as a Plex server (and client) go is a Shield TV. I'd get the Shield TV Pro (non-Pro doesn't have enough storage not to run into issues) and then plug in a USB hard drive.

As a Plex client, yeah, the Shield is by far the best of the streaming boxes. I wouldn't recommend it as a server though. It's a cool feature, but it has a number of limitations/caveats and since most people likely aren't running a Shield as their Plex Server, support for it might be hard to get if you run into any issues.

[edit] Instead of spending the extra $100 on a Shield Pro, I'd invest that money into like a refurb Core i5/i7 based PC off ebay to use as a dedicated server instead. For example, here's a refurb Dell Optiplex with a Core i5, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, and a Win 10 licence for $130.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 8, 2017

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Agree, for a Plex Server build your own, or even do a roll your own NAS with something like FreeNAS (which has improved greatly as far as ease-of-use goes with the latest 11 release). Not nearly as hard as you might think.

A commodity i5 CPU will beat the poo poo out of most any pre-built NAS, except the ones that use better Intel CPUs themselves and are normally ridiculously overpriced. Roll your own with a small cheap server like Teagone recommends, don't sperg over the extra $30/year or whatever in power you will spend to keep it running vs. a lower-powered NAS, dump some drives in it, and have at it. You will enjoy Plex a lot more.

Later you can get into more elaborate, but still economical, setups.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I use a Shield TV as a Plex server and client and it's been great. Had some SMB issues for a while but after posting on the NVIDIA forums an engineer actually reached out to me and had me testing engineering builds. They've since rolled those fixes into the main update and it has been rock solid.

As far as I know Plex isn't fully supporting hardware transcoding on Intel processors, which is what makes the Shield a good bang for the buck. I mean, yeah, buying some used poo poo off eBay is probably cheaper, but that's apples to oranges.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Veotax posted:

Then again, I might just drop Plex entirely. I was mostly just setting up a cloud server to watch stuff out of the house and I don't know if I have enough upstream for remote watching from a home server (around 6Mbps).

This is exactly what Plex is for, though. You install the server, point it towards your media, then let it handle transcoding to your devices, working within your bandwidth limitation. I only have ~5 Mbps up and that works fine; obviously I can't send original-quality FHD video but the server does all the work.

Veotax posted:

Maybe I'll set up a temporary server on my PC to test it out someday.

How much would I be spending if I wanted to get a NAS that could transcode in 1080? I know Plex has a spreadsheet of compatible NAS devices but this stuff is kinda out of my wheelhouse so I'm a bit lost.

EDIT: Ok, googling some of these and it's way too much over what I'm willing to spend.

The WD PR2100/PR4100 will do it, but they're $400+ without drives and this is probably what you already found. They do transcode FHD video but it's hardware transcoding (via Intel QuickSync) which emphasizes speed over quality.

But the beauty of PMS is that you can install it on your PC right now to test it out. Uninstall it if it doesn't work out. Or, you can have it installed on multiple machines and they'll all appear on your account in your clients! It's free, there's literally no reason not to try.

As far as I know Plex isn't fully supporting hardware transcoding on Intel processors, which is what makes the Shield a good bang for the buck. I mean, yeah, buying some used poo poo off eBay is probably cheaper, but that's apples to oranges.

The last I heard, there's a PMS beta that supports QS and NVENC, but I never tried it out because I had no need since my server runs an i7 anyway.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

I use a Shield TV as a Plex server and client and it's been great. Had some SMB issues for a while but after posting on the NVIDIA forums an engineer actually reached out to me and had me testing engineering builds. They've since rolled those fixes into the main update and it has been rock solid.

Yeah I use mine as a server as well. I have roughly 15 people using the server remotely and probably 4 people watching stuff at a time max and it runs perfect. I use it as my main set top box too. I definitely recommend it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Did the LiveTV update drop for FireTV? I just got an update and wasn't sure if it was it or not. I don't have Plex pass so cannot try.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I'm having trouble playing Plex smoothly above 3MBPS on my home network. It seems to have just started being an issue a month or two ago. I don't think it's related to the most recent Plex update, but I figured I'd check if it was a common problem.

Wired connection to an old desktop, with a wireless connection to a Roku player. Like I said, this appears to be a recent issue.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What type of wireless? Have you looked to see if there is interference from overlapping channels?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

What type of wireless? Have you looked to see if there is interference from overlapping channels?

I'm operating at 5ghz to try to avoid interference, with an ac capable router. The playback doesn't freeze or buffer - it just flutters without breaking. It looks like it's jittering, but the audio isn't disrupted.

Speedtest suggests I'm pulling down with more than enough speed, but I realize that there are too many variables to expect detailed advice through a forum. I've set the global settings to 3 for now, and will try to play with some options when I have time this weekend.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
How much do people recommend Plex Pass? I've considered it for the apps and maybe the DVR stuff in the future, but how do people here like it?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

beepsandboops posted:

How much do people recommend Plex Pass? I've considered it for the apps and maybe the DVR stuff in the future, but how do people here like it?

I like Plex enough that I was happy to buy the Pass for the extra features and to support the developer. I wish I had gotten in on it earlier when it was cheaper, but I'm still satisfied.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
when I uploaded some shows of like 5-6 seasons it uploaded them all fine. when I tried uploading some really long shows like with 20 seasons it didn't upload every episode. Is this a Plex thing or maybe I just don't have them labelled properly or something.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
most people just used Mega for storing their vacation photos and whatnot

they can't help it if a few bad eggs used it for piracy

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My movies got hosed up by having Curb Your Enthusiasm single episodes leak in. It bugs me even harder because the TV section recognized and spaces them out into their seasons. Wish there was an option to manually remove things.

E: If there is please tell me... :(

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Vintersorg posted:

My movies got hosed up by having Curb Your Enthusiasm single episodes leak in. It bugs me even harder because the TV section recognized and spaces them out into their seasons. Wish there was an option to manually remove things.

E: If there is please tell me... :(

I don't think there is beyond moving the folder somewhere else. I just split TV and Movies into different folders instead of having them all thrown together.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Separate folders for TV and Movies is the correct way to do it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yep, and they should be in folders regardless. Don't have a drive called Movies and put the root in as the Movie library as it can't detect changes so easily.

For organization, best to use Sonarr and Radarr for TV shows and Movies respectively, regardless of how you source. They do a solid job of organization even if you don't need them to help with acquisition.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

And separate Kids TV and Kids Movies because I don't need all that showing up on the main page, thanks!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yep, and they should be in folders regardless. Don't have a drive called Movies and put the root in as the Movie library as it can't detect changes so easily.

For organization, best to use Sonarr and Radarr for TV shows and Movies respectively, regardless of how you source. They do a solid job of organization even if you don't need them to help with acquisition.

I dump all my single episode downloads into a folder called "tv shows" and Plex scrapes and matches it just fine, as long as there's no title overlap. Plex has gotten really good at it over the years.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

^^ yeah that's essentially what I mean. Shows don't have to have individual folders, but having TV as a folder helps a ton. Yeah it's definitely gotten better at scraping, and is fine if you don't have a large collection or keep an archive.

======

That kind of makes me wonder what other workarounds people have in place, as the one thing about Plex I'm not a fan of is it's lack of flexibility at dealing with things that aren't straight TV shows or movies.

So, I have a Concerts section where it's told to use a movie scanner, as licensed stuff will appear in TMDb etc as normal, but not to put things into the movie section nor to put things on deck or the main screen.

The one tricky aspect is anything that isn't put out officially needs pushing. With lots of festivals doing webstreams, I've got a folder called '2017 Festivals' with a poster from Lollapalooza or whatever, a 'featured' set so Plex picks it up as an entry, then a Scenes folder with everything else inside. Kind of works ok.

I need to get that addon installed that can read NFOs etc because there's nothing worse than moving something and Plex completely forgets how you had it set.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I linked Plex's official media preparation guide in the OP twice, under the Getting Started section and the FAQ section of the post, so as not to run into any scraping issues :negative:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/categories/200028098-Media-Preparation

The first section of each guide entry warns you weird stuff might happen if you don't make separate directories for movies, tv shows, etc.

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I have a separate folder for Concerts that I have scrape as movies, and about half the time I just fill out the metadata myself. Concerts are like porn, filenames are always all weird and I don't really expect automatic scraping to work well, especially for amateur-shot content.