Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

Fun fact about Hiroshima and Nagasaki: the US was actually planning to drop 12 atomic bombs on Japan. Like, if they had not surrendered after Nagasaki, there would be a third, then a fourth, etc.

So yeah, the US was willing to completely flatten Japan.

The US only had three deployable nukes at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

we have to bomb the unicorn lair

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

enraged_camel posted:

Fun fact about Hiroshima and Nagasaki: the US was actually planning to drop 12 atomic bombs on Japan. Like, if they had not surrendered after Nagasaki, there would be a third, then a fourth, etc.

So yeah, the US was willing to completely flatten Japan.

How is that? I seem to recall that the US only had those two bombs (other than the third which had been tested at los Alamos) at that time, and wouldn't be able to make any additional bombs for months b/c of the difficulty of making fissile material?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Data Graham posted:

Sure is gonna be great that 60 years of North Korean militarization and propaganda about the evil crazy imperialist Americans coming to nuke them any day now will all turn out to have been completely justified

It's less some sort of crazy irony and more "North Korea realized America wanted regime change since the korean war and would kill them at any chance like they always do"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

http://www.thedailybeast.com/us-planned-to-drop-12-atomic-bombs-on-japan

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

If you didn't see Patty's joke the first go around you should remove that giant stick from your butt holy poo poo.

It's Patty loving Murray. Career senator from Washington state for fucks sake. Also gently caress a coug but that's beside the point.

Patty Murray's key legislative accomplishment so far was the budget she negotiated with Paul Ryan in 2013. Not exactly a left-wing firebrand.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I wish Guy Fieri was president instead of Donald Trump

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Data Graham posted:

Sure is gonna be great that 60 years of North Korean militarization and propaganda about the evil crazy imperialist Americans coming to nuke them any day now will all turn out to have been completely justified

I'm not sure a self-fulfilling prophecy is considered 'justified' but sure.

I wonder if an actual launch towards Guam will result in a BMD response, it doesn't not take long to determine where it's headed.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Data Graham posted:

Are you still a Cassandra if you work really hard for 60 years to get that unbelievable thing you keep saying to happen?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

prom candy posted:

Donald Trump is to politics what Guy Fieri is to food, so...congratulations?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

WampaLord posted:

Maybe people should have actual beliefs and not behave according to popularity polls

This is funny because it's true :negative:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

That's missing a lot of key context, namely that Truman ordered the Army to hold off from dropping the next bomb, it wouldn't have been able to have been dropped within the next week anyway due to weather conditions, and the next bomb after that wouldn't have been ready for weeks, if not months.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
If you're interested in reading an actual in-depth history of the US nuclear program though, Command and Control is an excellent and horrifying read.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BlueberryCanary posted:

How is that? I seem to recall that the US only had those two bombs (other than the third which had been tested at los Alamos) at that time, and wouldn't be able to make any additional bombs for months b/c of the difficulty of making fissile material?

Yeah, the US was hardcore planning to invade so they probably wouldn't have been planning nukes at the same time.

I was reading some info about the B-24 bomber and the US canceled an order for 5000 in 1945 because the war finally ended. So they were planning on really bombing Japan with conventional bombs.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah, the US was hardcore planning to invade so they probably wouldn't have been planning nukes at the same time.

I was reading some info about the B-24 bomber and the US canceled an order for 5000 in 1945 because the war finally ended. So they were planning on really bombing Japan with conventional bombs.

Which they had already been doing for months.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

prom candy posted:

I think it's really not cool to wish for a war against France stemming from pure culinary principle.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Krispy Kareem posted:

Oh, the invasion wouldn't have stopped the nukes. IIRC the initial plans for Operation Downfall involved the use of nuclear weapons to clear the invasion beaches, because things like "Fallout" weren't exactly well-understood at the time.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Enigma89 posted:

This is funny because it's true :negative:

I HATE it when politicians govern according to the will of their constituencies

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If you're interested in reading an actual in-depth history of the US nuclear program though, Command and Control is an excellent and horrifying read.

Seconding this recommendation. It's an easy read, but yeah, pretty grim. And the U.S.' nuclear security & surety framework is still in tatters, so...yaaaaaay.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Nut Better posted:

Chicken still there

It was designed by Casey Latiolais.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/46772365/Year-of-the-Rooster

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Majorian posted:

Patty Murray's key legislative accomplishment so far was the budget she negotiated with Paul Ryan in 2013. Not exactly a left-wing firebrand.

How dare she do her job.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Wooooooooosh

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Part of the reason why we have a representative system is because sometimes the majority opinion is wrong.

Mustached Demon posted:

How dare she do her job.

All right buddy, keep on supportin' that totally not racist, totally necessary border wall.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Guy Fieri would make this joint great again

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

Units in Iraq and Afghanistan got Purple Hearts from the lot made for the invasion of Japan (Operation Downfall). I think we've only finally used them up in the last couple of years.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Their constituencies or the ones that vote and donate? Come on now.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Majorian posted:

Seconding this recommendation. It's an easy read, but yeah, pretty grim. And the U.S.' nuclear security & surety framework is still in tatters, so...yaaaaaay.

At least it's better than it was, though (Not that it could've been much worse).

Christ, just imagine Curtis LeMay's SAC under Trump's White House, we would've all been dead before the end of the first hundred days.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/guwop/status/895354751298220033

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Giggy posted:

Which they had already been doing for months.

Yeah, but they were planning on building a lot of smaller bombers with 5k lb loads instead of big B-29's with 20k lb loads.

My guess is they didn't expect big enough targets left to drop 20k lbs on.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Enigma89 posted:

Their constituencies or the ones that vote and donate? Come on now.

Well that's true. Mandatory voting would be interesting.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

If it weren't for the Confederate flag I could respect this.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Lol book a trip to NK dumbass and go after him yourself

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pretty sure this guy doesn't remember what happened the last time that flag picked a fight with the north.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

That replica cavalry saber looks like it could do some damage.

To, you know. Bugs.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Topical: We dropped more bombs on North Korea than we did the entire pacific theater during WW2.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Topical: We dropped more bombs on North Korea than we did the entire pacific theater during WW2.

I believe Macarthur wanted to use nukes there too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I don't know man, Grant and Sherman sure did a number on you guys...

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah, but they were planning on building a lot of smaller bombers with 5k lb loads instead of big B-29's with 20k lb loads.

My guess is they didn't expect big enough targets left to drop 20k lbs on.

Actually, they found standard bomb loads were largely ineffective in Japan.

Then they tried firebombing, and that did the trick.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 10, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mustached Demon posted:

Pretty sure this guy doesn't remember what happened the last time that flag picked a fight with the north.

:golfclap:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jaxyon posted:

I don't know how accurate it is, but Wikipedia says Germany dropped 18,291 tons of bombs on London in 71 raids during the Blitz. Which sounds positively quaint considering what got dropped on Axis cities.

The advantage of strategic bombing over tactical.

EDIT: and I think we dropped more on Vietnam than the Pacific and European theaters combined. Now I kind of want to chart out a line graph on bomb loads since WWI.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

That tweet is a joke you guys please don't try to seriouspost trash it lol.

• Locked thread