Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Malcolm XML posted:

Game developers discover ancient multicore secrets

Engine developers: "We've invented this revolutionary new algorithm that'll improve multithreaded code on high core count systems!"
Kernel developers: "Um, hey, about that..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kernel work is much less tightly coupled than game engine work.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Am I wrong in thinking that game programmers are frequently not the cream of their crop

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that game programmers are frequently not the cream of their crop

Practically every programmer starts out wanting to program games. But you REALLY have to want to program games to make it a career. You get paid like poo poo and treated like poo poo.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Consistent (but not universal) with my small number of observations, which is surprising because you'd think that low pay and lovely working conditions would attract the best.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm not. If Vega can't scale up and it doesn't scale down, what bleeping good is it over Fiji? poo poo had better be like, $99 compared to the i5's $309 or something.

I think you're judging it a bit harshly here, it's a GPU running at idle clocks versus Intel's second best GPU solution running all out. The 512SP solution @ 800Mhz has already shown it's equal to a Bonaire card running @ 1000Mhz, that's pretty loving astounding, I'm positive the 2700U is going to clown on all of Intel's GPU solutions. Like, for context, Bonaire or the M9 385X/R7 260X are about 15% faster than the RX 550, a desktop solution. It means core for core the Vega mobile solutions are considerably faster than the Polaris ones, which means IMHO the 2700U's iGPU will probably hit diminishing returns but come close to RX 460/R7 370 performance. Just imagine on desktop where you could clock them much, much higher.

Really, I'm 100% getting the impression it's only Big Vega suffering from scaling issues and bottlenecking.

EDIT:Seemingly same APU, GPU running @ 800Mhz http://ranker.sisoftware.net/show_run.php?q=c2ffcdf4d2b3d2efdbe8dbeadcebcdbf82b294f194a999bfccf1c9&l=en. Here is an Iris Pro 580 (holy poo poo SiSoft is annoying to navigate) http://ranker.sisoftware.net/show_run.php?q=c2ffcdf4d2b3d2efdbe9d9ead2e2c4b68bbb9df89da090b6c5f8c8&l=en

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 9, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I want to believe that sub-48CU Vega doesn't suck. I want to believe that they can shove 12 CUs into an APU, underclock them a bit, and make a 65W budget gaming monster out of it.

Everything we've seen though is that Vega's a compute card that happens to have some rasterizers attached to it, and that more than anything else scares me about the future of Radeon. I love my GTX 1070 to bits -- getting 1080p144 in FFXIV on max settings is a thing of beauty -- but I would not want an actual no poo poo DOJ-intriguing Nvidia monopoly.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Here's your first AIO that covers the entire dang thing for Threadripper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHM0srYhdSI

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.

Kazinsal posted:

Engine developers: "We've invented this revolutionary new algorithm that'll improve multithreaded code on high core count systems!"
Kernel developers: "Um, hey, about that..."

Subjunctive posted:

Kernel work is much less tightly coupled than game engine work.

Not to mention we only have what we're given to work with, meaning either exposed APIs are too low level to immediately plug and play vs. a too high level API that doesn't serve the needs that we're looking for.

More so that a majority of programmers that aren't involved in games or OS level stuff don't really have to worry about multithreaded development, or when they do it's usually some problem thats almost always easily parallelizable. This is just an anecdotal observation from talking with other people that have graduated in the same class as me though.

Having transitioned to game development, we have systems that have interconnected dependencies that are never ever simple as just chunking them into jobs, i.e. given newer gfx APIs we can generate draw calls in as many threads as we can all day long but we still need an explicit sync point to have a list of things we want to draw in the current frame.

Games are still pretty serial in nature, which is why the job paradigm is so important. Whatever gameplay thing you're trying to accomplish still behaves in a serial fashion, but at least you can throw it into a job so the main thread can move on to the next thing. Of course now we have to worry about how important that job is; should it be done in this current frame? Is there another system that depends on that job finishing, thus requiring us to place a sync point in the main thread? Maybe we can use the deferred results on the next frame?

By no means an expert on multicore programming, but I have my hands in restructuring/optimizing a game at the moment.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Wirth1000 posted:

Here's your first AIO that covers the entire dang thing for Threadripper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHM0srYhdSI

That is a gargantuan cold plate. I am incredibly interested in this.

Unrelated, I'm thinking I need to re-paste my H60i. My i7-3820's temperatures are way too goddamn high (wtf is this 58 C idle).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
derp

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

What do you even use all those USB ports FOR? You can't connect graphics cards directly to them, can you?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Arivia posted:

What do you even use all those USB ports FOR? You can't connect graphics cards directly to them, can you?

You can if they're Type-C.

... man who is going to be the first to put a 4x1 lane breakout box for mining rigs? I'm actually astonished that's not a thing.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Kazinsal posted:

I want to believe that sub-48CU Vega doesn't suck. I want to believe that they can shove 12 CUs into an APU, underclock them a bit, and make a 65W budget gaming monster out of it.

Everything we've seen though is that Vega's a compute card that happens to have some rasterizers attached to it, and that more than anything else scares me about the future of Radeon. I love my GTX 1070 to bits -- getting 1080p144 in FFXIV on max settings is a thing of beauty -- but I would not want an actual no poo poo DOJ-intriguing Nvidia monopoly.

Keep in mind moving from 850Mhz to ~1200Mhz doubled the power consumption on Polaris 11. Early reports/rumors indicate Vega 10 XT running @ ~1200Mhz pulls some 200W and that adjusting voltage down at same clocks seems to yield tremendous results. I think Vega in the mobile space will work quiet well, maybe not to the extent hpnoe GPU's do but there is always that possibility especially since Vega can run in FP16.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

ShinAli posted:

Not to mention we only have what we're given to work with, meaning either exposed APIs are too low level to immediately plug and play vs. a too high level API that doesn't serve the needs that we're looking for.

More so that a majority of programmers that aren't involved in games or OS level stuff don't really have to worry about multithreaded development, or when they do it's usually some problem thats almost always easily parallelizable. This is just an anecdotal observation from talking with other people that have graduated in the same class as me though.

Having transitioned to game development, we have systems that have interconnected dependencies that are never ever simple as just chunking them into jobs, i.e. given newer gfx APIs we can generate draw calls in as many threads as we can all day long but we still need an explicit sync point to have a list of things we want to draw in the current frame.

Games are still pretty serial in nature, which is why the job paradigm is so important. Whatever gameplay thing you're trying to accomplish still behaves in a serial fashion, but at least you can throw it into a job so the main thread can move on to the next thing. Of course now we have to worry about how important that job is; should it be done in this current frame? Is there another system that depends on that job finishing, thus requiring us to place a sync point in the main thread? Maybe we can use the deferred results on the next frame?

By no means an expert on multicore programming, but I have my hands in restructuring/optimizing a game at the moment.

i always thought a good dataflow architecture would make a lot of sense but i wouldn't know much tbh

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Arivia posted:

Well, seeing as how I've been caught DESPITE having taken down the post shortly after, sure, I may as well put the link back up:

https://videocardz.com/newz/biostar-teasing-motherboard-with-104-usb-risers-support-for-mining

I thought it was a Ryzen board because B350 is a Ryzen chipset too, and there already was that OTHER Biostar board that was aimed at buttcoining, but then I saw the Intel socket and whoops.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

usb-connected bitcoin asics

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bobfather posted:

My overclocked i7-3770 non-K gets 41xx and 13xxx on Geekbench. Not that Threadripper isn't impressive - it totally is, but man the 3770 is almost 5 years old.
I have a 3770k and I am hoping zen2 ups single core performance enough to justify the upgrade. Geekbench for fun (@4.5ghz / 1.35V):

That's with the processor underclocking itself to ~1.8ghz constantly during the benchmark, although I don't know if that hurts the score on geekbench. I was too lazy to reboot and turn it off in bios.

It's kind of hard to not buy a ryzen 1700 for a fun home server build. That is really the sweet spot on the current generation of AMD processors it seems. It's also hard not to light dollars on fire for a 16 core threadripper.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 10, 2017

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So are other CrYpTocurrencies around now that haven't been dominated by the Chinese disaster factories? Frisbees that aren't in danger of roofs?

I should ask this in a different thread.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

So are other CrYpTocurrencies around now that haven't been dominated by the Chinese disaster factories? Frisbees that aren't in danger of roofs?

I should ask this in a different thread.

Cryptocurrency thread here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824394

Mining goons seem to use an app which automatically picks the most profitable currency

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Despite being the OP of that thread I heartily encourage you to not get into it. It's a losing man's game and we're all just still posting in there to laugh at people who start getting into it now.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kazinsal posted:

Despite being the OP of that thread I heartily encourage you to not get into it. It's a losing man's game and we're all just still posting in there to laugh at people who start getting into it now.

I just want to see new photos of warm garages full of graphics cards

got any

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

I just want to see new photos of warm garages full of graphics cards

got any

Here is why the hash rate jumped and took a dive in days. EST. $3,600,000 worth - GONE!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Buttcoiners know nothing about or are too cheap to install active fire protection systems? I'm totally shocked.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I want to say that the story came out that farm was somewhere in India or Indonesia... someplace with an "I" in the name, and electrical standards that are more suggestions than rigorously upheld.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Most of the big warehouse setups are in rural China, in places with dirt cheap electricity prices because power supplies had been overbuilt and the grid won't take the electricity out to bigger cities that need it (usually new hydro dam installations). The warehouses get tossed together in a few days with no safety considerations at all, so it's no surprise when they catch fire.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I want to say that the story came out that farm was somewhere in India or Indonesia... someplace with an "I" in the name, and electrical standards that are more suggestions than rigorously upheld.
It was in Thailand, run by some European expats, "Cowboyminer" mining cooperative
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=521520.msg9451926#msg9451926

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

#fakenews

that image is apparently from a Thai bitcoin facility from Nov 2014
https://coinjournal.net/cowboy-miners-facility-burns/

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Thailand.

Was still right. =P

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

there's probably a big overlap between white libertarian coinbros and sex tourists that go to Thailand.
IIRC, the Dutch owner of a darknet bitcoin-based market was recently arrested in Bangkok

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pfft, besides, real nerds would use Halon suppression.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
There needs to be more news about TR. It's August 10th, after all. Who cares about these buttcoins?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
23:00AEST is what I've heard as far as when the nda lifts

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

There needs to be more news about TR. It's August 10th, after all. Who cares about these buttcoins?

The NDA lifts in 1.5 hours. Assuming Hardware Unboxed posted their last video 24 hours before NDA, it is possibly a bit later?

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Up now

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11697/the-amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-and-1920x-review

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

techtubers.png

ufarn
May 30, 2009

quote:

Due to the difference in memory latency between the two pairs of memory channels, AMD is implementing a ‘mode’ strategy for users to select depending on their workflow. The two modes are called Creator Mode (default), and Game Mode, and control two switches in order to adjust the performance of the system. It sounds simple enough so far, but AMD decided to make it more complicated than it ever needed to be.

The two switches are:

* Simultaneous Multi-Threading, on or off (on by default)
* Memory Mode: UMA vs NUMA (UMA by default)
wut

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Maxwell Adams posted:

Does anyone know when the Threadripper NDA drops and a few dozen reviews will drop simultaneously?

I'm a man of my word.

I just got a dozen notifications of Threadripper reviews.

I hope this helped and concludes our transactionary relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/08/amd-threadripper-review-1950x-1920x/

quote:

AMD Threadripper 1950X review: Better than Intel in almost every way

:toot: