Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It looks like Mel's quest to get the Doctor to go on a carrot juice diet isn't over. I hope Chibnall is saving enough of these kinds of letters than he can wallpaper his office with them at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bicyclops posted:

It looks like Mel's quest to get the Doctor to go on a carrot juice diet isn't over. I hope Chibnall is saving enough of these kinds of letters than he can wallpaper his office with them at some point.

The trouble there, is that PETA are godawful people.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

The trouble there, is that PETA are godawful people.

At last, something everyone can agree on!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I once got spat at in the street by someone from peta for owning a gun dog :(

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
One of them had a go at me once for fishing for compliments

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Meanwhile, over at the Doctor Who Experience...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hypothetical:

Suppose a woman had been cast as the Doctor in, say, the 1970s or 1980s. Realistically (i.e. not unattainable Hollywood movie stars), who would have been a really good casting choice?

Diana Rigg is an obvious choice, I suppose. But I have a notion of Anna Carteret as well.

Lalla Ward

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

2house2fly posted:

One of them had a go at me once for fishing for compliments

Are you sure you don't mean sea kittening for compliments?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bicyclops posted:

The Doctor should be like PETA and show her love for all forms of life by euthanizing 400 dogs at the end of the season and dump them in a dumpster.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

The Doctor should be like PETA and show her love for all forms of life by euthanizing 400 dogs at the end of the season and dump them in a dumpster.

Joe Lidster: Hm... Intriguing idea...

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Joe Lidster: Hm... Intriguing idea...

And every single one of those dogs was a companion transformed into girl-dog hybrids (yes, even the men), in a very special collaboration with Philip Martin.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CommonShore posted:

The problem I have with the aviatrix costume is that it's a feminized version of a masculine style, a bit of a sex symbol (leather :whip:), and my not at all influential judgement tells me that's the wrong way to go on this (i.e. it suggests too much that 13 is just a crossplay version of a male character).

I was leaning towards the "Hat as Big as the Barren Field Where I Grow My Fucks" 1900-1910s ones, myself.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CommonShore posted:

It's still a fun idea for a costume, but this is why we need to keep English majors around :eng101:

:hfive:

We're useful! Occasionally!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

docbeard posted:

And every single one of those dogs was a companion transformed into girl-dog hybrids (yes, even the men), in a very special collaboration with Philip Martin.

They can bring back the aliens from Survival

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Apologies if repost: Slightly odd but well done 12 tribute video that's doing the rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KkuPy3NkKE

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bicyclops posted:

Oh man, that is fantastic news, if only because it means somebody is looking into making some of the CD-only ones available digitally (I actually had to buy the disc for Her Final Flight). I'm sure it's kind of a labyrinth for them to even figure out who to ask if they're allowed to. Glad to see they're making an effort. :)

Yeah, as a digital-only listener it's nice when things can make the jump from CD-only to the megabyte modem.

The one I'm really hanging out for is the first series CC story with Three and the Cybermen.

CommonShore posted:

Ok! I'll throw some of the ideas I had out there, too!

Earlier, I said "like Susan," but that was just really a wider point of reference. My first thought was that they were going to give her something feminine but not prissy or sexy.

The Audrey Hepburn casual look a) evokes the early series via Susan, b) is feminine but not erotic, c) is a reasonably practical style for an adventurer. If some iconic bit were added to it a la Tom's Scarf I think it would be a great costume with lots of room for minor variations between episodes and seasons.

I would be incredibly down with something like this.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Unfortunately the inevitable death threats a lady Dr who will receive will cut her tenure short

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Unfortunately the inevitable death threats a lady Dr who will receive will cut her tenure short

She is apparently not on social media at all so she might just make it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Wheat Loaf posted:

BBC publicity still circa 1979 featuring the Fifth Doctor and her companion, Turlough:

My all-time favourite Sapphire & Steel quote;

Joanna Lumley on the set of Sapphire & Steel posted:

"For gently caress's sake, I can't do this. I don't understand it. I really don't loving understand it."

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

corn in the bible posted:

Unfortunately, not being on Twitter is probably a smart move for her :sigh:

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

No social media is best social media. Yay for her!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Astroman posted:

I do agree that racism can happen unintentionally. I don't believe it happened here though. Give me an example of a time when a black person was portrayed in a negative light, as a villain or flawed character where you DIDN'T think it was racist (if you can)--and I'll show you how somebody, somewhere could argue it's racist.

People can argue anything about anything. What's at stake here isn't "I think that is/isn't racist" but rather the framework within which that argument is made. A racist depiction of, say, three black brothers doesn't rely simply on someone being offended. It involves the ways in which the depiction reinforces pre-existing racial stereotypes about black men. In this instance, it's Steptoe and Son IN SPACE!

For Talons, the operational stereotypes about Asians/the Chinese included a particular type of pigeon English, perfidiousness/inscrutability, a connection with laundries and opium dens, involvement of the Tongs/criminality, even stereotypical weaponry. Lightfoot has a firearm, but the Tong members are armed with weapons fitting their stereotype. Holmes clearly recognizes that these are stereotypes, but his one attempt to challenge them instead of reinforcing them, in the character of Chang, ends up being played by a white man in yellowface, while all the genuine Asian men are cast in the strictly stereotypical roles.

Contrast with The End of Time. Naismith may not be the final villain, but he is A villain. He is not, however, reinforcing existing racial stereotypes about black men. He is wealthy; he appears to be a single father who dotes (albeit creepily) on his daughter; his ambition is to make her immortal. None of those things match the racial stereotypes at play. The character may not be drawn as well as he should be, and he certainly fits a different villainous stereotype, but he clearly departs from the associated racial one. If Naismith had been the one found in a junkyard and had scarfed down a lot of fried chicken, that would have matched certain racial stereotypes. The Master doing the same thing isn't racist. Is the difference clear enough between these examples?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

pgroce posted:

It is.

It's actually really simple to fight: Put more minorities in media in absolute terms, and in the same variety of roles we put non-minorities.

Simple, but hard. Hard, but not impossible. And harder than it should be because of all the people at all levels throwing their hands up and saying "Well, we can't just do THAT" when, yes, actually, if we just made it a priority we could.

Yes. Because the pervasive omission of their experiences in our media effects both the majority of places where they are conspicuously absent and the few places they are represented, because absolutely every aspect of the representation is a large part of their total representation in media, and because people tend to take things from the environment that reinforce their worldview and discount things that don't, so the troublesome, stereotype-reinforcing parts are asymmetrically more troublesome than the uplifting, assumption-breaking parts are redemptive.

Wrong. You make that world better with more representation, as I outlined above. But you don't stop pointing out the problem, because then people will assume it doesn't exist, because that's what they want to be true anyway.

We aren't advocating censorship, we're pointing out problems with the already-heavily-censored status quo and advocating relief of that censorship.

Forget he Doctor and companions, we need a black female showrunner and a show where the Doctor can meet Marsha P. Johnson and take Harriet Tubman out to fight Daleks and go back to Churchill and call him out for being a murderous colonialist rear end in a top hat. If that offends you, you're not being offended by censorship, you're being offended by the prospect of seeing speech that you find off-putting, which is kind of the opposite of being offended by censorship.

And if that doesn't offend you, why does a little "BTW, that one portrayal had some racist bits to it" criticism put you in vigorous opposition for several pages?

It doesn't offend me, but it sounds like what you are saying is the only way to combat racism is to make Doctor Who (and most other shows I guess) completely minority focused. And how do you do more representation--make every show minority majority cast? That doesn't seem practical, and I disagree that's the only way to fight stereotypes.

I mean we're already watching a show with black companions, black Colonial soldiers, and black Romans, and we've come darn close to a black Doctor. But it's still a "horrible underrepresentation?"

Gaz-L posted:

This is a circular argument, dude. You're basically saying because opinions on this vary, that no opinions can be valid. And you've been VERY firm on the 'it's not racist if they didn't mean to be' train which is also a non-starter unless you actually believe, say, the Disney people went into Song Of The South thinking "Gosh, we should totally portray those n*****s in a foolish, subservient light to put them in their place!". Very few people THINK they're wrong or set out to hurt others. And as Bicyclops said, no-one is trying to say that one mistake makes Doctor Who into A Bad Show That Is Terrible And Racist Forever! Criticism of this type is not much different than saying the set design was poor or the editing disjointed, while still enjoying the other parts of an episode. Like, I've been watching Futurama again recently and good god is there some really iffy transphobic comedy in there that I found funny 15 years ago, but cringe at now, because I've matured and learned, and even actually know some trans people, so the tastelessness and meanness of those jokes now comes off as offensive. That does not mean that every other joke or episode of the series is worthless, just that you have to go "Yeah, that was pretty bad, if they did it now, maybe do something better", just like you would if you look at anything that has flaws.

No, what I'm saying is it's possible to find offense or racism anywhere if you try hard enough, and not every one of those may be actually racist to any reasonable person.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Naismith thinks he can control the Master, making him stupid. A more intelligent man might have taken more precautions, or had the good sense to just shoot the Master on sight or avoid him altogether. Black people having statistically lower IQs than other races is a right wing talking point I've heard a million times.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

2house2fly posted:

Naismith thinks he can control the Master, making him stupid. A more intelligent man might have taken more precautions, or had the good sense to just shoot the Master on sight or avoid him altogether. Black people having statistically lower IQs than other races is a right wing talking point I've heard a million times.

Not being as smart as a Time Lord supergenius is kind of a gimme for Doctor Who, he was certainly intelligent enough to see potential in the alien sciencemajig and get it mostly functional (with a full scientific team, but hey, he's business clever not science clever).

Having him shunted off to the side with zero ceremony in favour of a pair of white villains is bad, though.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Astroman posted:

No, what I'm saying is it's possible to find offense or racism anywhere if you try hard enough, and not every one of those may be actually racist to any reasonable white person.

Fixed that for you

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Murderion posted:

Not being as smart as a Time Lord supergenius is kind of a gimme for Doctor Who, he was certainly intelligent enough to see potential in the alien sciencemajig and get it mostly functional (with a full scientific team, but hey, he's business clever not science clever).

Having him shunted off to the side with zero ceremony in favour of a pair of white villains is bad, though.

Not too sure overall about the imagery of a black man being humiliatingly bested by a white man who uses the words "master race" tbh

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just realized how true this thread title is, sadly.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Narsham posted:

People can argue anything about anything. What's at stake here isn't "I think that is/isn't racist" but rather the framework within which that argument is made. A racist depiction of, say, three black brothers doesn't rely simply on someone being offended. It involves the ways in which the depiction reinforces pre-existing racial stereotypes about black men. In this instance, it's Steptoe and Son IN SPACE!

Steptoe and Son weren't black though? :confused: Oh, Wikipedia says Sanford and Son was based off Steptoe and Son, and they were black. Did you mean Sanford and Son? Though I wouldn't call that a black stereotype, especially since in the UK the same characters were white.

I doubt that anyone disagrees that institutional racism and unintentional racism exist. We're all Woke as hell. The disagreement is that we don't see it in Journey to the Center of the Tardis. "Working class salvage crew in space" is in no way a black stereotype, much less a negative stereotype. Some folks reframe it as "carjackers in space" but there is no carjacking of any kind so that's not even a stretch, it's a flat out fabrication. They let their sibling rivalry get out of hand in a big way, but that also isn't a black stereotype.

These men aren't criminals. They are scrappers. Recyclers. That is objectively a good and valuable contribution to society. They are rough working class fellows, but there is nothing wrong with that. Yeah, when they find themselves in a bizarre situation their behavior is not exemplary, but that's true of like half the one off characters of in the show.

There is nothing in the episode to be indignant about. There is no racism, no injustice here.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I don't normally give a fig one way or the other about cosplay, but that is simply adorable. :3:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pesky Splinter posted:

My all-time favourite Sapphire & Steel quote;

You know who also apparently didn't understand it? P.J. O'Hammond, the creator and writer of the show. That's pretty trippy.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

I doubt that anyone disagrees that institutional racism and unintentional racism exist. We're all Woke as hell. The disagreement is that we don't see it in Journey to the Center of the Tardis. "Working class salvage crew in space" is in no way a black stereotype, much less a negative stereotype. Some folks reframe it as "carjackers in space" but there is no carjacking of any kind so that's not even a stretch, it's a flat out fabrication. They let their sibling rivalry get out of hand in a big way, but that also isn't a black stereotype.

These men aren't criminals. They are scrappers. Recyclers. That is objectively a good and valuable contribution to society. They are rough working class fellows, but there is nothing wrong with that. Yeah, when they find themselves in a bizarre situation their behavior is not exemplary, but that's true of like half the one off characters of in the show.

There is nothing in the episode to be indignant about. There is no racism, no injustice here.

This is what I've been trying to say all along, but far less concisely. :hfive:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I listened to the Carrionite episode of Classic Doctors, New Monsters Vol 2 and I am so, so, so thrilled that they realized the joy of having the Sixth Doctor do battle with creatures who consider extensive vocabularies a powerful weapon :allears:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/gallifreyboi/status/895056061912293377

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

David Tennant rules :)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jerusalem posted:

David Tennant rules :)

What does he know about Doctor Who?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

bobkatt013 posted:

What does he know about Doctor Who?

He isn't even the best Doctor in the family!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

This is what I've been trying to say all along, but far less concisely. :hfive:

No it's not. You were trying to say (and did say) this:

Astroman posted:

No, what I'm saying is it's possible to find offense or racism anywhere if you try hard enough, and not every one of those may be actually racist to any reasonable person.

which is the more offensive and and ridiculous version.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Also the thing about racism requiring malicious intent, which is just amazingly off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Judi Dench should have been the Doctor.

• Locked thread