Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

JaySB posted:

I mean, I agree but...There's nobody out there for him to fight.

There is so (two divisions up or down).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

JaySB posted:

I mean, I agree but...There's nobody out there for him to fight.

https://twitter.com/VasylLomachenko/status/894325953630920704

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yeah, I get what you're trying to say but really. Lomachenko just fought for free on ESPN. Him fighting Chocolatito or Rigondeaux or Garcia aren't really gonna be PPV blockbusters.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

JaySB posted:

Yeah, I get what you're trying to say but really. Lomachenko just fought for free on ESPN. Him fighting Chocolatito or Rigondeaux or Garcia aren't really gonna be PPV blockbusters.

I don't think he's aiming to become a money getting record setter I think he's mostly focused on proving himself the best boxer anywhere close to his weight class.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

I don't think he's aiming to become a money getting record setter I think he's mostly focused on proving himself the best boxer anywhere close to his weight class.

I'm not arguing that. My initial response was to "Lomachenko deserves a money fight" and there's nobody out there for him to fight for big money.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

JaySB posted:

I'm not arguing that. My initial response was to "Lomachenko deserves a money fight" and there's nobody out there for him to fight for big money.

My bad, and you're right. It's a drat shame. But it's not like he's hurting. He was able to offer salido 750k for the rematch. I'd settle for him fighting really good guys.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

JaySB posted:

Wow I like making up funny fake names but you're way better at it 👀👍

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I'd love to see Gobeloux fight Chachakato but let's be real, he's probably going to take the easy win against Blauemaivolaskipvjsky

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Boxing is kind of dogshit overall but Lomachenko is one of the few boxers who actually owns quite a bit.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Noctone posted:

Boxing is kind of dogshit overall but Lomachenko is one of the few boxers who actually owns quite a bit.

One of the others being Floyd Mayweather :thunk:

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Why is there nobody out there to fight Lomachenko ?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Work Friend Keven posted:

I'd love to see Gobeloux fight Chachakato but let's be real, he's probably going to take the easy win against Blauemaivolaskipvjsky

You're my favorite troll

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Why is there nobody out there to fight Lomachenko ?

Because he'd beat their rear end

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
He should do a poo poo load of steroids and take fights twenty pounds up if he really wants to work on his legacy.

(i love him as is)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lomachenko should fight 6x per year and just chew through underprepared and overmatched challengers to give us a ridiculous highlight reel. "You are mandatory challenger for WBC? I want fight two months. Oh, you want six to train? I will book two more fight before, in Japan and in Ukraine. Is ok."

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Work Friend Keven posted:

I know we all like to laugh and joke around here, but let's be real. Boxing sucks and nobody watches it.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Lomachenko should fight 6x per year and just chew through underprepared and overmatched challengers to give us a ridiculous highlight reel. "You are mandatory challenger for WBC? I want fight two months. Oh, you want six to train? I will book two more fight before, in Japan and in Ukraine. Is ok."

Hey it worked for Roy Jones Jr

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I want to see Loma fight Rigondeaux real real bad.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mayweather is serious about using 8 ounce gloves. They formally requested the NAC to give them an exception for this fight, and the commission will vote on it next Wednesday.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Rigel posted:

Mayweather is serious about using 8 ounce gloves. They formally requested the NAC to give them an exception for this fight, and the commission will vote on it next Wednesday.

Won't really affect his defense, gives him a bit more damage, he's not worried about hand damage affecting his career, sounds macho.
Don't see the downside.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Edit: beaten, my thumbs as slow and clumsy as Conor's bag work.

Who would the little gloves benefit? I say mayweather, because he's not known as a big puncher but I did expect him to land reliably. Won't help Conor because he's just gonna be too out of position for it to matter.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Rigel posted:

those senile robots are going to have a conflict between the programming that says they must do absolutely nothing ever and the programming that says that they must do anything that floyd wants and if memory serves correct conor is going to become the starchild, signifying man transcending his planet bound biology

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
decision expected by spring 2033

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

drat when Conor drops those gloves and it makes a big kaboom sound when they hit the ground and make a crater and he says finally! I can fight with 60% of my full power! That's going to be hype.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

someone tell me, a boxing idiot that only pays attention when there's a really big fight, why 8 oz gloves are a big deal compared to whatever they normally use

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Lighter gloves, less padding. Hits are harder, I think. Bigger boxers = heavier gloves.

MMA uses light gloves (like 4 ozs or something) so it would benefit McGregor to have lighter gloves since he punches with a lot of power already, so Mayweather saying he's fine with the lighter gloves is like saying c'mon, bring it bitch blah blah.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Wouldn't heavier gloves hit harder since you're not as afraid that you'll hurt your hands?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vladimir Putin posted:

Wouldn't heavier gloves hit harder since you're not as afraid that you'll hurt your hands?

Heavier gloves = more padding = less impact

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, amateurs and people just practicing don't wear 16 oz gloves because of all the hard hitting they plan to do.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Vladimir Putin posted:

Each individual hit isn't quite as hard, probably a bit slower etc, but more padding generally allows you to his hard for longer periods of time yeah. Honestly I don't think the glove size changes all that much with respect to power and speed, especially a small jump like 2 ounces, but I guess at the highest level those small adjustments matter.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Honestly I don't think the glove size changes all that much with respect to power and speed, especially a small jump like 2 ounces, but I guess at the highest level those small adjustments matter.

2 oz might not be a lot, but when I was switching to 10oz (the weight used for competition in my weight class) in the last weeks of camp, it was night and day from 16oz. The faster/harder you're punching, the more difference you notice.

Against some fighters, Floyd would spec really puffy gloves, which can help with defense by virtue of sheer bulk helping block punches. Again, I don't think that's a problem here, hence shaving down the weight and size.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Ah yeah. The difference between 10 and 8 seems pretty marginal.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Each individual hit isn't quite as hard, probably a bit slower etc, but more padding generally allows you to his hard for longer periods of time yeah. Honestly I don't think the glove size changes all that much with respect to power and speed, especially a small jump like 2 ounces, but I guess at the highest level those small adjustments matter.

It's about as hard and fast regardless of the glove size. There's little to no difference between boxing gloves and UFC gloves. The difference is the force in pounds per square inch, and the larger gloves ability to distribute that force over a wider area.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Ah yeah. The difference between 10 and 8 seems pretty marginal.

I went from 14oz to 10oz and immediately noticed a difference, I think Conor will as well. Also it's less glove for Floyd to hide behind.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Volkerball posted:

There's little to no difference between boxing gloves and UFC gloves.

Yeah...

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

taped fists soaked in oil then dipped in glass and set on fire. No rounds, no judges, no ref. Just fight. fight forever.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I mean purely when it comes to the pounds of force behind a punch. Same amount of force generally, but it is dispersed entirely different.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

coconono posted:

taped fists soaked in oil then dipped in glass and set on fire. No rounds, no judges, no ref. Just fight. fight forever.
Send Conor to the fight planet where he must battle endless waves of bad guys for eternity like in the ending to that one Jet Li movie.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Send Conor to the fight planet where he must battle endless waves of bad guys for eternity like in the ending to that one Jet Li movie.

It's called The green mile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Volkerball posted:

I mean purely when it comes to the pounds of force behind a punch. Same amount of force generally, but it is dispersed entirely different.

mmmm I am very excited for another round of Punching Physics chat

• Locked thread