Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

marktheando posted:

Yeah the first Thor movie is a fun fish out of water movie.

That's the thing though, it's not. It should be, but they hadn't figured out the character at that point yet. I'd love to see that same movie but with the current goofier take on Thor. That little thing they did with Thor hanging out with office worker Darryl during Civil War did more with the idea in five minutes than the first movie did in ninety. Best thing they do early in Avengers is have Tony Stark puncture that earnest pomposity with the "doth mother know thou wearest her drapes" line. Joss Whedon may have struggled a bit with how he handled Cap, but he did a brilliant job turning Hulk and Thor into interesting characters.

Fair enough to anyone who likes the films in the series that I don't and vice versa of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I dunno, Thor in the pet shop demanding a horse, or a dog of equal size, is pretty dang funny.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think the first Thor movie, by and large, was pretty boring. It had good moments but I wouldn't want to watch it a second time.

I'll totally give the Iron Man and Captain America movies another look, if they showed up on Netflix though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ufarn posted:

IMDb reviews for TV shows are often contingent on people sticking around long enough to bother rating the show. This is even "worse" for shows than have run for several season whose fan base is the only one around; Supernatural is not an 8.6 show.

IMDb movie average shouldn't be compared to TV.

IMDB is fanboy inflation central.

But Supernatural is absolutely an 8.6 show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

RareAcumen posted:

I'll totally give the Iron Man and Captain America movies another look, if they showed up on Netflix though.

Civil War is on Netflix, though that's really more Avengers 2.5.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
So with Disney starting yet another streaming service, will Netflix keep the Defenders after 2019?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Netflix funded Defenders, so yes probably.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

Netflix funded Defenders, so yes probably.

Luckily ABC is owned by Disney, so they can launch a new web-exclusive televisual universe off Inhumans!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I thought I read that all the Marvel TV properties are staying.

Pretty sure all the MCU movies will be moving to the new service, though.

FAKE EDIT: Yep. Here it is

quote:

CEO Bob Iger told CNBC's Julia Boorstin Disney had a "good relationship" with Netflix, but decided to exercise an option to move its content off the platform. Movies to be removed include Disney as well as Pixar's titles, according to Iger. Netflix said Disney movies will be available through the end of 2018 on its platform. Marvel TV shows will remain.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/08/disney-will-pull-its-movies-from-netflix-and-start-its-own-streaming-services.html?_source=facebook

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Timby posted:

To translate this into non-comic-speak: Ike Perlmutter--the dude who bought Marvel out of bankruptcy--was effectively removed from running Marvel Studios movies a few years ago because Kevin Feige hated him and said he'd walk; Disney decided the hojillions of dollars were worth more. Jeph Loeb is now in charge of all Marvel television. but that's the one area where Perlmutter has a bit of say. He's also still incredibly sore about Fox owning the rights to the X-Men (and them making fucktons of money on First Class and Days of Future Past, which is why he refuses to license X-Men movie toys).

Basically, Inhumans started as a movie -- Perlmutter wanted to say, "gently caress you, Jobu, I do it myself."

Loeb was in charge of Marvel Television long before the Feige/Perlmutter split, actually.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Guy Goodbody posted:

Luckily ABC is owned by Disney, so they can launch a new web-exclusive televisual universe off Inhumans!

Winter 2018: Trouble
Spring 2019: Marville
Summer 2019: Ultimate Adventures

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Defenders better be just 8 hours of DD, JJ and Luke Cage making GBS threads on Dany.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Defenders better be just 8 hours of DD, JJ and Luke Cage making GBS threads on Dany.

I think I'm okay with that.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Not going to agree. Don't want a Defenders/GoT crossover.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Look they both are blonde, have something to do with dragons and I would bang.

Also, both have Cersei hating them......

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Samizdata posted:

Not going to agree. Don't want a Defenders/GoT crossover.

If it's 8 hours of them making GBS threads on Clarke's acting, I'm all in.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
If he gets treated like the Aquaman of the group I'll watch it.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

jivjov posted:

Yeah, Thor 1 is one of my fav Marvel films. It just feels...earnest.

Branagh also brought a theater vibe to it. I think it helped extremely well for Hiddleston to reveal Loki as he grew and grew behind the scenes and be grounded.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

esperterra posted:

I would not know. I pretty much refused to watch GoT from day 1 after I had to cancel my ASoIAF next book preorder after 8 months of waiting and released G.R.R.M. was too busy sucking publisher dick to ever finish the series.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Samizdata posted:

I had to cancel my ASoIAF next book preorder after 8 months of waiting

Man up imo, I waited 6 years for the first half of a book, then another 5 for the other half ... and he still cut out the ending.

And now I'll wait forever.

:(

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

esperterra posted:

Man up imo, I waited 6 years for the first half of a book, then another 5 for the other half ... and he still cut out the ending.

And now I'll wait forever.

:(

Naaaaaah. Just means I won't feed his distraction. Doesn't matter if it makes a difference, it just makes me feel better.

And that was 8 months after Amazon was announcing the release of the book in 2 weeks so you could preorder it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

In all honesty, the time between books doesn't drive me as mad as it does some people. Like yeah, I want to read The Winds of Winter, but I don't think he owes it to me to get it out in a specific time.

It would suck if he dies before he finishes it, but c'est la vie.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Samizdata posted:

G.R.R.M. was too busy sucking publisher dick to ever finish the series.

Seems like the other way around to me...

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Barry Convex posted:

Loeb was in charge of Marvel Television long before the Feige/Perlmutter split, actually.
Yeah but I imagine Loeb doesn't have the leverage to refuse what Ike wants that Feige does

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

esperterra posted:

I don't know if you could get away with 3 worse actors doing that.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

geeves posted:

Branagh also brought a theater vibe to it.

Is this code for "overused Dutch angles?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0oDm4J3YOg

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

After Battlefield Earth, there’s no such thing as overused Dutch angles.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Samizdata posted:

I would not know. I pretty much refused to watch GoT from day 1 after I had to cancel my ASoIAF next book preorder after 8 months of waiting and released G.R.R.M. was too busy sucking publisher dick to ever finish the series.

Surely, he feels the pressure from his rash actions!

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Aphrodite posted:

This is the worst opinion I've ever heard. Emilia Clarke is garbage.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes she is. But so are the Defenders.

Mike Colter is probably the least bad but the shittiness of that "let me be inside you" line wasn't all the writing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The guy who plays Daredevil is good enough for me, and Krysten Ritter did a pretty great job.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
The only bad actress in Daredevil is Karen, is she contractually obliged to be on the verge of tears at all times or something?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Iron Fist wasn't the end of the world bad, it just wasn't very good. I didn't completely hate it at first.

However, listening to capt rainbow be a smug, insufferable twat about it in every thread Iron Fist gets mentioned in for the last 6 months has actually made me hate the show a little bit. Is this what it's like to deal with "browncoats"?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

counterfeitsaint posted:

Iron Fist wasn't the end of the world bad, it just wasn't very good. I didn't completely hate it at first.

However, listening to capt rainbow be a smug, insufferable twat about it in every thread Iron Fist gets mentioned in for the last 6 months has actually made me hate the show a little bit. Is this what it's like to deal with "browncoats"?

If not sounding like a hyperbolic rear end in a top hat going after low-hanging fruit means I'm a smug twat, then guilty as charged I guess?

Besides, you can stop following me around, that might be easier. :shobon:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

The only bad actress in Daredevil is Karen, is she contractually obliged to be on the verge of tears at all times or something?

The constant out of breath reading of her lines can be aggravating, I agree.

But at least we have Foggy.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

counterfeitsaint posted:

Is this what it's like to deal with "browncoats"?

Yes, the drat show died nearly 15 years ago

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

Congratulations! Now you can also join the camp of 'Yeah, I used to enjoy a thing but other people on the internet who enjoyed it were just soooooooo obnoxious that I hate it now' like so many other people!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Electromax posted:

Seems like the other way around to me...

Naaaaah. This was was about 2010. And he was travelling around doing promotional visits and giving readings from A Dance with Dragons. Which was why he didn't have time to write...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Surely, he feels the pressure from his rash actions!

As I said in a post after that one, I pretty much just did it to make me feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aphrodite posted:

Now, now, Matthew Cox is at least better than Clarke.

But you kind of have a point.