Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Dealership has a 2010 Prius with 90k miles for $9k. Toyota's site and the Carfax report both say it's missing the G0U recall (curtain side airbag replacement) but my local Toyota dealership claims scheduling in to have this recall completed is pretty painless - scheduling a few weeks out and takes like 4-5 hours. Does this make sense or sound like bullshit to you guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
What part sounds like bullshit? Sounds totally straightforward to me.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Michael Scott posted:

What part sounds like bullshit? Sounds totally straightforward to me.

None of it sounds like bullshit, I'm just kind of a "once bitten, forever afraid :negative:" kind of guy so I want to be sure I'm not loving anything up, especially since this is pretty much my first car where I'll be getting a car loan instead of buying private sale from Craigslist.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Having to waste 4-5 hours one day for something that isn't my problem sounds like some bullshit. It's not as if Priuses are uncommon.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The airbag recall stuff is widespread across millions and millions of vehicles, and replacement parts have been periodically in short supply. It's not terribly surprising. Toyota does legally have to replace it for free, it shouldn't be a headache outside of having to drop it off for a day.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Don't a lot of states block sales on cars with incomplete recalls, or is that only on new vehicles?

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I have what I feel might be a stupid question, but I didn't see anything in the first few pages of the thread and I didn't see anything on a quick glance through BFC. When buying a new car, advice generally seems to be that you shouldn't be paying MSRP and that you should be expecting to be able to negotiate down beyond whatever the manufacturer incentive might be. That's all well and good, but I am having a very hard time finding any information as to how much I should be able to expect off. I'm fine with paying a fair value, I just want to be sure that's what I am actually paying. I am currently looking at a Corolla and I'm in Canada, since I imagine that makes a difference.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
This seems like a thing, try it out. https://carcostcanada.com/

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is there a reason the Mazda 3 comes up so often and the Civic (or Civic Si) almost never when people ask about econofun cars in this thread?

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

prom candy posted:

Is there a reason the Mazda 3 comes up so often and the Civic (or Civic Si) almost never when people ask about econofun cars in this thread?

The mazda isn't ugly as gently caress

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

prom candy posted:

The Honda isn't as cheap as the Mazda for repairs and maintenance, and the Mazda is generally a better drive. It sags back in to the peloton overall, while the Mazda is a clear standout.

Also, everybody thinks Honda, Toyota, and Nissan for Japanese cars and Mazda is often overlooked.

Additionally,

big trivia FAIL posted:

The mazda isn't ugly as gently caress

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

prom candy posted:

Civics are fine, but you pay the Honda tax, and overall the Mazda3 is a better car right now in terms of price, interior, fun, etc. when we're talking about cheap econobox cars.

I don't think anyone is saying civics are bad other than some people find them offensively ugly (I don't), just you can do better.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Also the 9th gen Civic (2011-2016) was lukewarm at best in terms of driving dynamics, which was an unfortunate departure for the model historically known for being fairly fun to drive. Honda lost a lot of goodwill for that one.

The newest 10th gen (2016+) is supposed to be better in terms of driving dynamics, but it fell out of the ugly tree hitting every branch on the way down.

Those things combined, plus the "Honda tax", makes it not stand out in a very competitive segment. It's perfectly fine, but if you're looking to maximize fun and value (and minimize tacky styling that won't age well) it's not the front runner.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Unless Mazda has rethought their pricing significantly, the "Honda Tax" is much more a used-car thing than a new car thing. The main reason I bought a CR-V over a CX-5 is the CR-V was about $2k cheaper when similarly equipped.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Belated thanks to this thread for all the tips and advice. I ended up snagging a 2017 CR-V EX FWD for a great price, and my wife and I couldn't be happier with it. Shotgunning dealers with simple emails and negotiating from there worked great.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I strongly prefer the Leon. The interior is better and it drives better. The Astra is fine but unless you're getting a stupendous deal on it (which you might since the PSA acquisition limbo thing going on), I'd get the Leon.

I'll go try it today or tomorrow. Most reviews I've seen place them pretty neck-and-neck. I tried a Hyundai i30 yesterday because my sister-in-law has one, but I wasn't feeling that one.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

carcinofuck fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 9, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Skimming the last couple of pages but throwing this here in case there's a significant divergence in reccomendations:

Proposed Budget: Up to $20k, less would be A Good Thing
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Probably sticking with 4 door midsized, open to alternatives though
How will you be using the car?: No daily commute, but semiregular long drives to reach properly civilized areas, and occasional long road trips.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: If they're cheaper without then that's preferable, my current car's still got manual rear windows so I'm not super worried about an extra $1k for heated seats or a 3-years-outdated GPS unit.
What aspects are most important to you?: MPG > Reliability = handling = some semblance of being able to accelerate faster than molasses*.

*For context in :words:: I'm currently driving a 2005 Dodge Neon, and I like it. It's starting to hate me though, and I had to pick up a rental midway through a road trip, which in this case was a 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage. I didn't think, previously, that I cared that much about how powerful the engine was. I was wrong. I was so wrong. It topped out at about 40mph, floored, going over a low grade on I5 towards LA, and I was legitimately concerned I was going to get my rear end smashed out from under me by passing minivans. I'm pretty sure that if I was driving on some of the roads on the coast proper it'd start going backwards. So, you know, not a race car, but for the love of god not that.

I've been doing some poking around and was debating some version of the Mazda3/6 until I saw that the expected reliability ratings were apparently crap, at which point it seemed like a 2015 Sonata would be The Thing To Look At. But I'll defer to the combined wisdom here, if concerns on the 3 are overstated or whatever.

Also for the 3, is there a specific year I should be hunting for/avoiding?

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 9, 2017

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

Boz0r posted:

I'll go try it today or tomorrow. Most reviews I've seen place them pretty neck-and-neck. I tried a Hyundai i30 yesterday because my sister-in-law has one, but I wasn't feeling that one.

I ordered the Astra. I thought they were very similar to drive, and the Opel dealer was willing to give me a better offer. Plus my girlfriend liked the slightly larger boot in the Astra.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Skimming the last couple of pages but throwing this here in case there's a significant divergence in reccomendations:

Proposed Budget: Up to $20k, less would be A Good Thing
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Probably sticking with 4 door midsized, open to alternatives though
How will you be using the car?: No daily commute, but semiregular long drives to reach properly civilized areas, and occasional long road trips.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: If they're cheaper without then that's preferable, my current car's still got manual rear windows so I'm not super worried about an extra $1k for heated seats or a 3-years-outdated GPS unit.
What aspects are most important to you?: MPG > Reliability = handling = some semblance of being able to accelerate faster than molasses*.

*For context in :words:: I'm currently driving a 2005 Dodge Neon, and I like it. It's starting to hate me though, and I had to pick up a rental midway through a road trip, which in this case was a 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage. I didn't think, previously, that I cared that much about how powerful the engine was. I was wrong. I was so wrong. It topped out at about 40mph, floored, going over a low grade on I5 towards LA, and I was legitimately concerned I was going to get my rear end smashed out from under me by passing minivans. I'm pretty sure that if I was driving on some of the roads on the coast proper it'd start going backwards. So, you know, not a race car, but for the love of god not that.

I've been doing some poking around and was debating some version of the Mazda3/6 until I saw that the expected reliability ratings were apparently crap, at which point it seemed like a 2015 Sonata would be The Thing To Look At. But I'll defer to the combined wisdom here, if concerns on the 3 are overstated or whatever.

Also for the 3, is there a specific year I should be hunting for/avoiding?

What ratings are you seeing where Mazda is crap? I'm genuinely curious, because in everything I've seen, Mazda is always one of the best in terms of expected repair and maintenance costs.

Edmunds' TCO data puts a 2015 Mazda 3 at $88/mo for r&m, well below the average of $105 for its class. The Sonata is also very good at $90/mo. A Mazda 6 comes in at about $100/mo. They're all close enough as to be effectively identical.

If MPG is your #1, look at a hybrid. The Chevy Volt is a very good car, good to drive and the absolute cheapest to operate. Lots of people around here like the Prius, too - although it's not a very exciting car to drive.

What I've generally found is that the most important thing is your own preference. There's no substitute for test driving. It doesn't matter what the paper specs are for the car, it's what you feel when driving it that matters. Winnow it down a few models that would be acceptable to you, then get out and drive them.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I've shopped around for a used car and I'm now trying to decide between two that fit my budget, could use some help making up my mind, hopefully this is the right place.

Option 1
2013 Peugeot 208 , manual gearbox, 66,000 Km. Comes with a bunch of extra stuff like bluetooth, gps, steering wheel controls (nice to have but not a deal breaker for me).
Option 2
2008 Kia Ceed, automatic gearbox, 106,000 Km.

The car is for daily drive to work plus errands around the city.

The Peugeot is more expansive, but is still in my budget, the main reason I'm debating is the gearbox. I know how to drive manual, my first car was a manual Peugeot 205 and I loved it, but It's been 11 years since I drove it and I can't tell how much of my memories of it are biased due to being a kid driving his first car. The manual gearbox is kind of a big deal for me because I live in an area with lots of hills and moderate to heavy traffic which makes driving annoying as is.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I went and test-drove a Prius yesterday - had my mechanic look at it, as well. It is a 2010 Prius 3 with a little over 90k miles on it, listed at $8900. The mechanic noted it as being in pretty good shape with a few exceptions. From mildest to worst:

Passenger side [strike]window[/strike] rear-view mirror (edited - I hosed this up when I typed this post out) can't be controlled and has to be manually pushed into place.

All of the 'marker lights' on the front are non-functional. Mechanic said that since the headlights/turn signals work, this is a relatively easy thing for someone to miss and assumes that it's just burned-out bulbs.

The (small-time) dealer with the car for sale had recently replaced all four tires (the mechanic confirmed this) but hadn't put any TPMS sensors on. When we first drove it, the salesperson (there's only one there, the owner of the place, :ohdear:) said the TPMS light was probably on due to a tire pressure differential since they just put four new tires on, but my mechanic confirmed there were no sensors. When I drove the car back to the dealership and told him this, he looked surprised and rushed outside to check, then said he'd have them put on immediately. I don't know if I was maybe getting some theater for my own benefit there or if he just didn't realize his mechanics had hosed it up a bit.

Help me to evaluate this situation? He seemed genuine enough to me. I didn't sign anything or make an official commitment. When I posted about all this on PriusChat, they seemed pretty aghast about the dealership being potentially scummy (one guy called it 'a bandit lot') but the (~15) reviews I've found online seem to indicate that he's really proactive about fixing issues with cars that occur soon after purchase from him. If I do go for this car, I'll obviously have a more detailed conversation with him on that subject.

EDIT: also, PriusChat folks like to talk about owning a Prius like it's a calling and discuss the most specific and intensive ways that they take car of their cars. Should I be worried about that, or should I assume that I'm seeing the people here who are more on the fringe, seeing as how they're the folks with enough knowledge and time to answer questions from idiots like me on a website specifically devoted to this one kind of car?

Ignoranus fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 9, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ignoranus posted:

I went and test-drove a Prius yesterday - had my mechanic look at it, as well. It is a 2010 Prius 3 with a little over 90k miles on it, listed at $8900. The mechanic noted it as being in pretty good shape with a few exceptions. From mildest to worst:

Passenger side window can't be controlled and has to be manually pushed into place.

All of the 'marker lights' on the front are non-functional. Mechanic said that since the headlights/turn signals work, this is a relatively easy thing for someone to miss and assumes that it's just burned-out bulbs.

The (small-time) dealer with the car for sale had recently replaced all four tires (the mechanic confirmed this) but hadn't put any TPMS sensors on. When we first drove it, the salesperson (there's only one there, the owner of the place, :ohdear:) said the TPMS light was probably on due to a tire pressure differential since they just put four new tires on, but my mechanic confirmed there were no sensors. When I drove the car back to the dealership and told him this, he looked surprised and rushed outside to check, then said he'd have them put on immediately. I don't know if I was maybe getting some theater for my own benefit there or if he just didn't realize his mechanics had hosed it up a bit.

Help me to evaluate this situation? He seemed genuine enough to me. I didn't sign anything or make an official commitment. When I posted about all this on PriusChat, they seemed pretty aghast about the dealership being potentially scummy (one guy called it 'a bandit lot') but the (~15) reviews I've found online seem to indicate that he's really proactive about fixing issues with cars that occur soon after purchase from him. If I do go for this car, I'll obviously have a more detailed conversation with him on that subject.

For that price, I'd want the dealer to put the window right.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

spog posted:

For that price, I'd want the dealer to put the window right.

Ah, I goofed up when I typed it and meant the passenger-side mirror, not the window. Sorry.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
Without looking at KBB, etc. I'd wonder if that price is a bit too high. I bought a 2010 with 112k miles a year ago for well under $8k in excellent condition other than some messed up aftermarket HIDs that I replaced for $50. This was in the DFW area so maybe the price differential reflects man's love for the gas guzzler here, however.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Anyone posting on a car specific forum is quite likely to be very enthusiastic a crazy person yes.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ignoranus posted:

Passenger side [strike]window[/strike] rear-view mirror (edited - I hosed this up when I typed this post out) can't be controlled and has to be manually pushed into place.

EDIT: also, PriusChat folks like to talk about owning a Prius like it's a calling and discuss the most specific and intensive ways that they take car of their cars. Should I be worried about that, or should I assume that I'm seeing the people here who are more on the fringe, seeing as how they're the folks with enough knowledge and time to answer questions from idiots like me on a website specifically devoted to this one kind of car?

Well, $8900 is on the low end for a 2010 Prius, so the condition of it is probably reflected in the price.

The TPMS sensors are part of the valve stem on a Prius. If they didn't replace the valve stems, they didn't replace the TPMS sensors, either - so the originals are probably still there. Resetting it is just a button by the steering wheel. Make sure all the tires are at the right pressure before doing so, though.

As far as the PriusChat stuff, yes, that is the stereotype of the Prius owner. They tend to care more about how much gas they're not burning and all the technological whiz-bang than about the ride or performance of the car. That is a stereotype, though, and posters in a car-specific forum tend to be the most enthusiastic types.

I get the sense that you haven't actually driven this car yet. Get out and drive half a dozen different cars before you make up your mind. You'll be spending a lot of time and money on this car, make sure you like being in it before you put any money down.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Deteriorata posted:

I get the sense that you haven't actually driven this car yet. Get out and drive half a dozen different cars before you make up your mind. You'll be spending a lot of time and money on this car, make sure you like being in it before you put any money down.

I did drive the car for a little while. The dealer had a very... lackadaisical approach to the whole process. Like, "Here, go ahead, I'll be back here waiting for you." :psyduck: So my fiance and I drove around for ~25 minutes and then drove it another 25 minutes or so each direction on the interstate to get to my mechanic. I enjoyed the way the car drove, though it does take a little getting used to (braking feels crazy aggressive compared to what I'm used to, presumably because it's the electric motor regenerative braking thing, and accelerating is exactly the opposite).

I know that I need to get out and test drive more cars, I'm just in a state of anxiety about the whole situation and need to keep reminding myself to stay chill and not rush. I'm more than a little scared of ending up with an albatross around my neck here.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ignoranus posted:

I did drive the car for a little while. The dealer had a very... lackadaisical approach to the whole process. Like, "Here, go ahead, I'll be back here waiting for you." :psyduck: So my fiance and I drove around for ~25 minutes and then drove it another 25 minutes or so each direction on the interstate to get to my mechanic. I enjoyed the way the car drove, though it does take a little getting used to (braking feels crazy aggressive compared to what I'm used to, presumably because it's the electric motor regenerative braking thing, and accelerating is exactly the opposite).

I know that I need to get out and test drive more cars, I'm just in a state of anxiety about the whole situation and need to keep reminding myself to stay chill and not rush. I'm more than a little scared of ending up with an albatross around my neck here.

Good to hear. Don't feel rushed, don't be tempted to just grab one to get it over with. It's rather like buying a pair of shoes. There's lots that are the right size, but only one that fits.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I've shopped around for a used car and I'm now trying to decide between two that fit my budget, could use some help making up my mind, hopefully this is the right place.

Option 1
2013 Peugeot 208 , manual gearbox, 66,000 Km. Comes with a bunch of extra stuff like bluetooth, gps, steering wheel controls (nice to have but not a deal breaker for me).
Option 2
2008 Kia Ceed, automatic gearbox, 106,000 Km.

The car is for daily drive to work plus errands around the city.

The Peugeot is more expansive, but is still in my budget, the main reason I'm debating is the gearbox. I know how to drive manual, my first car was a manual Peugeot 205 and I loved it, but It's been 11 years since I drove it and I can't tell how much of my memories of it are biased due to being a kid driving his first car. The manual gearbox is kind of a big deal for me because I live in an area with lots of hills and moderate to heavy traffic which makes driving annoying as is.

The Cee'd is not as good and it's older, and it's got higher mileage and fewer features. The 208 should have a hill holder so that takes care of part of your problem.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ignoranus posted:

I did drive the car for a little while. The dealer had a very... lackadaisical approach to the whole process. Like, "Here, go ahead, I'll be back here waiting for you." :psyduck:

This has been my experience at maybe 50% of the dealers I've did test drives at. It feels a little weird.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

This has been my experience at maybe 50% of the dealers I've did test drives at. It feels a little weird.

What's funny is that the type of dealers/brands you think would be uptight tend not to be in my experience.

I've been tossed the keys and told to have fun by myself in a WRX, 335i, and S4 but had to get ride-alongs for a GTI, Civic, and Mazda 3.

The last time my parents bought a car, which was granted a number of years ago, they were told to take an Acura TL and Nissan Maxima home overnight to "see how it looks in your driveway". They did end up buying that TL (back when they were good looking and great value).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

The TPMS sensors are part of the valve stem on a Prius. If they didn't replace the valve stems, they didn't replace the TPMS sensors, either - so the originals are probably still there. Resetting it is just a button by the steering wheel. Make sure all the tires are at the right pressure before doing so, though.

I would not put it past a dealer's workshop to just yank them out and put regular valvestems in if they didn't happen to have a TPMS rebuild kit handy. Or the sensors themselves may have already killed their batteries.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Thermopyle posted:

This is actually really reassuring. It seemed extremely weird at the time, but also I (clearly) haven't done that much car shopping in my life.

Deteriorata posted:

The mechanic I took the car to specifically pointed out that there were rubber valve stems and that, while (apparently) you can get TPMS sensors with rubber stems, it wasn't likely that these were they. The dealer himself, when I told him that there were no TPMS sensors, said something like "What, are there just rubber stems?" before he went out to check/confirm.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Cee'd is not as good and it's older, and it's got higher mileage and fewer features. The 208 should have a hill holder so that takes care of part of your problem.

There are hill holders in manual cars? I thought it was only for automatics.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

They've become much more common in the last 5 years or so on manuals. It's often also referred to as hill start assist.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Ignoranus posted:

The mechanic I took the car to specifically pointed out that there were rubber valve stems and that, while (apparently) you can get TPMS sensors with rubber stems, it wasn't likely that these were they. The dealer himself, when I told him that there were no TPMS sensors, said something like "What, are there just rubber stems?" before he went out to check/confirm.

I've seen this happen several times before; usually some numbnuts tire guy breaks one or more TPMS sensors while installing tires and tries(or his boss tries) to get out of buying new ones by putting rubber stems in all of the tires. Then everyone involved feigns surprise when caught.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

plester1 posted:

They've become much more common in the last 5 years or so on manuals. It's often also referred to as hill start assist.

Driving in SF with a manual with hill hold feels like cheating, it's so nice.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

For years Subaru has had it for a while, and even my ND Miata has it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Deteriorata posted:

What ratings are you seeing where Mazda is crap? I'm genuinely curious, because in everything I've seen, Mazda is always one of the best in terms of expected repair and maintenance costs.

Edmunds' TCO data puts a 2015 Mazda 3 at $88/mo for r&m, well below the average of $105 for its class. The Sonata is also very good at $90/mo. A Mazda 6 comes in at about $100/mo. They're all close enough as to be effectively identical.

If MPG is your #1, look at a hybrid. The Chevy Volt is a very good car, good to drive and the absolute cheapest to operate. Lots of people around here like the Prius, too - although it's not a very exciting car to drive.

What I've generally found is that the most important thing is your own preference. There's no substitute for test driving. It doesn't matter what the paper specs are for the car, it's what you feel when driving it that matters. Winnow it down a few models that would be acceptable to you, then get out and drive them.

This is what I saw it on initially, although the actual reliability ratings seem to come from JD Power-- 2.5/5 is obviously just "average", but since they went out of their way to call it out it was a little worrying to see other years 3s and 6s in the same 2.5-3 star range. A hybrid is something I'd love, probably, but since I'm renting I won't be able to guarantee being in a parking spot that's in range of a power socket so that's probably a no go for now.