Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Speaking of Sega arcade games, I've been playing Alien Syndrome the past couple of days and gently caress is it hard. The fact you can only shoot in eight directions with no strafing makes enemies and projectiles super dangerous, and the timer is a bitch too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

mycophobia posted:

Speaking of Sega arcade games, I've been playing Alien Syndrome the past couple of days and gently caress is it hard. The fact you can only shoot in eight directions with no strafing makes enemies and projectiles super dangerous, and the timer is a bitch too.

It was really meant for co-op which makes me mad because the Genesis would've been perfect for it. But somehow it was still getting ports all the way to 1992 on platforms nobody owned.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I can't play Sensible Soccer on my NTSC Genesis using my x3. I try to switch the region in the options but I still get the message that it can only be played on a Pal console. Is there any way to get around this?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

I just realized that I have been confusing Altered Beast with Shadow of the Beast for my entire life

Well, if there's one point in Altered Beast's favor it's that it's not Shadow of the Beast.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

mycophobia posted:

I had it as a kid for the NES (unlicensed tengen game) and it was pretty good but the arcade version is much better looking. I just learned they made a ps2 remake that keeps the spirit of the disgusting alien grossness, but it just doesn't feel right.

https://youtu.be/D_0dezzk0s0

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

GutBomb posted:

I had it as a kid for the NES (unlicensed tengen game) and it was pretty good but the arcade version is much better looking. I just learned they made a ps2 remake that keeps the spirit of the disgusting alien grossness, but it just doesn't feel right.

https://youtu.be/D_0dezzk0s0

That's the version Sega made for the Sega Ages line, though the picture they show is of the reboot game that was also released for the Wii. That one plays pretty well, better than most of the PS2 remakes in that series.

In the US it's available on the Sega Classics Collection which bundled several of the PS2 remakes into one disk.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Wizgot posted:

I can't play Sensible Soccer on my NTSC Genesis using my x3. I try to switch the region in the options but I still get the message that it can only be played on a Pal console. Is there any way to get around this?

Sensible Soccer is one of those games that need region patching despite the Everdrive's ability to be region free. Just use the Everdrive's Game Genie function to put these codes in:

https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3838.msg38569#msg38569

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
Keith Courage is ten times the game that Altered Beast is I will fight you don't even go there

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

TheRedEye posted:

Keith Courage is ten times the game that Altered Beast is I will fight you don't even go there

the keith courage comic is better than either of the games in this post

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Rirse posted:

Still trying out some of these games, but Ninja Spirit is pretty fun.

Ninja Spirit owns and despite having an Everdrive that's still about all I ever play for the TG-16.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

absolutely anything posted:

the keith courage comic is better than either of the games in this post

I, too, think this.

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/367/retro-scan-special-edition-keith-courage-in-alpha-zones-comic

Keith Courage is OK for a level or two but then it's just the same thing over and over. Those gun-head dudes aren't as neat when you see them in every stage. And don't get me started on the money-grinding.

Altered Beast is a brief arcade novelty turned system showcase, but it's silly fun up until the end, where the last boss is a rhino guy barely bigger than your werewolf hero. A game full of giant monstrosities, and that's how they ended it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Altered Best

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Speaking of Altered Beast has anyone played the GBA version? I just discovered it via Everdrive and I really dig it. Alerted Beast is a chill, meditative experience that I still enjoy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I played it once and thought it was complete garbage.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, it was Altered Beast.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, it was Altered Beast.

No, it was Altered Beast but three hours long and with budget European CG sprites.

It's better than Revenge of Shinobi GBA, I'll give it that.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Not saying it was good just enjoyable. So much of the GBA library is just ugly ugly bad games you gotta enjoy those C+ games when you find them. Seriously, the GBA is like an inververse Dreamcast in terms of proportion of good games to bad on the system.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Monopthalmus posted:

Not saying it was good just enjoyable. So much of the GBA library is just ugly ugly bad games you gotta enjoy those C+ games when you find them. Seriously, the GBA is like an inververse Dreamcast in terms of proportion of good games to bad on the system.

Well, it got eclipsed by the DS so quickly, and had rushed sound hardware. But there was little else that could be done when they made it.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

fishmech posted:

Well, it got eclipsed by the DS so quickly, and had rushed sound hardware. But there was little else that could be done when they made it.

It thinks it's more the combination of lovely resolution, everything being prerendered sprites, and being cheap enough to develop for that it got massive amounts of shovelware.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The percentage of shovelware on handhelds up to the DS was always high but it's not as if the GBA didn't have plenty of good games anyway.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Nintendo really should have spent the extra 5 cents to get both DS screens to 320x240 and then the 3DS could have had bottom screen 640x480 and top screen 800x480 in 2d mode. This way not only nice res for their times, but also good direct scaling from DS to 3DS.

Maybe have had the GBA be a full 320 across and 200 pixels high to get that wide-screen effect, which would easily adapt into displaying on your DS.

Instead we get 240x160 GBA, 256x192x2 DS, and 400x240 plus 320x240 screens in 2d mode on 3ds (in 3d there's 800x240 active). All messy, and for DS in particular an annoyance for attempts to do nice ports of home brew stuff.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kid Fenris posted:

I, too, think this.

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/367/retro-scan-special-edition-keith-courage-in-alpha-zones-comic

Keith Courage is OK for a level or two but then it's just the same thing over and over. Those gun-head dudes aren't as neat when you see them in every stage. And don't get me started on the money-grinding.

I figured out very quickly to only buy every other weapon.

Kieth Courage is essentially mid-tier Japanese developer filler from the late-80's. The Famicom library has a ton of that kind of thing in it and the major advantage that Kieth Courage has over something like Bio Warrior Dan or Esper Adventure is that it has a wider color palette. It would be utterly forgettable, not even getting Youtube videos featuring fat guys sitting in front of a wall of video games screaming that it's the worst thing ever, if it wasn't for the fact that it was a pack-in.

The percentage of shovelware on handhelds up to the DS was always high but it's not as if the GBA didn't have plenty of good games anyway.

I wouldn't give the DS a particularly high good-to-crap ratio, either. It's got a deep library of terrible licensed games.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

What are some GBA games worth playing that aren't Nintendo first/second-party games or huge flagship titles (e.g. the Castlevania and FF games) of some kind?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Mak0rz posted:

What are some GBA games worth playing that aren't Nintendo first/second-party games or huge flagship titles (e.g. the Castlevania and FF games) of some kind?

Astro Boy: Omega Factor
Boktai 1&2
Super Robot Taisen Original Generation 1&2

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Random Stranger posted:

I wouldn't give the DS a particularly high good-to-crap ratio, either. It's got a deep library of terrible licensed games.

Well yeah, my point was that the ratio doesn't really matter because the amount of quality games in raw numbers is plenty, and it's not like they're hard to find or identify, either. Like, I get walking by a shelf, seeing fifteen Spongebob games and being all "gently caress that" but it's also incredibly easy to go online and immediately be presented with substantial lists of really good games that don't require you to pay attention to any of the crap.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Sensible Soccer is one of those games that need region patching despite the Everdrive's ability to be region free. Just use the Everdrive's Game Genie function to put these codes in:

https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3838.msg38569#msg38569

I've read the manual on how to enter cheats but for some reason the apply option never pops up to allow me to patch the rom. I'm kinda stuck. :shrug:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Rez Infinite was just released for PC today, it's the same game as the original Dreamcast Rez but running at super high resolution with controller or keyboard+mouse controls, and they've added a new level (which is in a different engine from the rest of the game, and not on rails). $20 on steam. Oh and if you have VR it is fully VR too. Basically it's a fully realized version of Rez.

:aaaaa:

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

Wizgot posted:

I've read the manual on how to enter cheats but for some reason the apply option never pops up to allow me to patch the rom. I'm kinda stuck. :shrug:

Ok I got it. Find the game you want and pick select only from the menu. After cart loads the game into its memory (I suppose) then you add the cheat and hit start on your controller.

Also, I beat Toejam and Earl. What a great game although I can see it getting repetitive very quickly. I remember it being harder when I was a kid but I guess that was because I was 10. The new game they are developing at the moment doesn't look very promising unfortunately.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kid Fenris posted:

I, too, think this.

keith courage as the tg16 pack-in was one of the many absolutely loving idiotic moves nec made in ensuring the rtg16 never caught on in the west and it is such a drat shame because man that thing had some phenomenal titles.

going with legendary axe would have been such a smarter move. that alone wouldn't have saved the system from its fate in the us, but it would have at least helped inspire excitement in those who did buy the system at or near launch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GutBomb posted:

Rez Infinite was just released for PC today, it's the same game as the original Dreamcast Rez but running at super high resolution with controller or keyboard+mouse controls, and they've added a new level (which is in a different engine from the rest of the game, and not on rails). $20 on steam. Oh and if you have VR it is fully VR too. Basically it's a fully realized version of Rez.

Iam8bit has a Collector's Edition for it... with the soundtrack on a cassette tape :confuoot.

Vinyl ones I understand, because people like vinyl and you can buy brand-new players, but who the hell still has something with a cassette player? :psyduck:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Will the cassette have a "manga-style" art layout like the LP did?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I don't even know why they'd release the Rez soundtrack on a cassette tape since tapes were pretty done by that point and the goddamn game was on a system that played CD's.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Can't wait for the advanced teledildonics mods for PC Rez. Surely technology has moved on since the original Trance Vibrator.

I also almost always think of Vib Ribbon when I hear Rez mentioned, I just confuse those two very different-looking games all the time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elliotw2 posted:

I don't even know why they'd release the Rez soundtrack on a cassette tape since tapes were pretty done by that point and the goddamn game was on a system that played CD's.

The Rez soundtrack was released on CDs, a friend of mine has it. This is specifically for Rez Infinite, the VR re-release, and its iam8bit who release soundtracks for things after the fact, usually on vinyl.

Its probably on cassette for hipster reasons or something, knowing the people who run iam8bit. (They have some cool poo poo though and I have bought some LPs from them)

E: Its probably on cassette because vinyl soundtracks for Rez were probably already available, and they probably wanted to do something new to be special.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Can't wait for the advanced teledildonics mods for PC Rez. Surely technology has moved on since the original Trance Vibrator.

I mean, they were touring the thing around for journalists with a full-body synesthesia suit, so.

I would kill a man to get my hands on one of those things.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have a close friend that has a big fancy cassette deck that he got second-hand when he was living in San Francisco. Some artists he listens to have put out albums on cassette because they like the sound that the medium makes. Not in that bullshit "you can hear the warmth" way, but they like the decayed quality of the sound from a used tape.

We thought about doing a let's play by recording the sound on tape cassette once for the same reason: we wanted that sound of obsolescence.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

END ME SCOOB posted:

I mean, they were touring the thing around for journalists with a full-body synesthesia suit, so.

I would kill a man to get my hands on one of those things.
Supposedly, only two of those suits were made, I think one of them is with one of the groups that developed the suit, and the other was the one being toured around for press events (and the occasional art show).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Star Man posted:

I have a close friend that has a big fancy cassette deck that he got second-hand when he was living in San Francisco. Some artists he listens to have put out albums on cassette because they like the sound that the medium makes. Not in that bullshit "you can hear the warmth" way, but they like the decayed quality of the sound from a used tape.

We thought about doing a let's play by recording the sound on tape cassette once for the same reason: we wanted that sound of obsolescence.
Dunno about audio cassettes (I think a few bands use them as promo gimmicks nowadays?) but I definitely know there's a fandom out there for old VHS tapes, usually involving horror movies. Partly because, as you said, of the eccentricities that have developed over time in the battered old analog media and the devices used to play them back, and partly because a lot of old, low-budget, straight-to-video horror movies never escaped tape.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

Tapes are the hipster thing in Japan like vinyl is in the West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

al-azad posted:

Tapes are the hipster thing in Japan like vinyl is in the West.

I own vinyl and am way too uncool to be a hipster :/

• Locked thread