Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Konomex posted:

How do they legislate a fine on this when they can't legislate this at all?

There are some powers under the census act you could probably get the senate to pass regulations to use... maybe. But they are some weak penalties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

Why is this thread so hell bent on continually using America to contextualise Australian places that are 10,000 times worse?

The USA are our lords and masters. We're a client nation.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zenithe posted:

1. "Hey guy, I never got my ballot, send another."

2. Repeat.

gently caress that just photocopy your ballot and send in five billion.

Remember: No penalties, no risk.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
FACTS ABOUT THE SAME-SEX MARRIAGE POSTAL BALLOT:

* Envelopes will be posted by the Australian Bureau of Statistics from September 12, with responses due by November 7 and a result announced on November 15.

* The electoral roll will close on August 24.

* Survey forms will include the question "Should the law be changed to allow same-sex couples to marry?" and voters will tick a "yes" or "no" box. Other marks on the form (such as a "1" in one box, or an "x" in one box) will be counted, so long as the preference of the voter is clear.

* Campaign material from political parties and other organisations will not need any authorisation details. That is, the source of the material need not be disclosed to voters because it is not being conducted under electoral laws.

* If people feel aggrieved by campaign material the following laws apply: Broadcasting Services Act (requires particulars where political material is broadcast on radio and television); Criminal Code (it is an offence to urge violence against groups or members of groups); civil and criminal penalties in state and territory laws; Telecommunications and Postal Services Act (offences against the use of telephone and postal services to menace or harass, or to use the services of Australia Post in such a way as to be regarded as offensive).

* The government has made it clear it wants campaigners to take part with courtesy and respect.

* Allowing only a single response per envelope will mitigate against problems with the papers being copied.

* If voters do not receive a ballot paper for whatever reason, or mess one up and require another, contact the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

* If political parties spend money on campaigning, or receive donations, the "usual rules" under the Electoral Act will apply.

* Ballot paper scrutineers for both sides of the argument will be able to be appointed by members of the House of Representatives and senators.

* There will be a call centre for defence personnel on deployment.

* Australians overseas, who are on the electoral roll, and have registered as an overseas voter and provided their overseas address, will receive all the necessary documentation to enable them to vote at their overseas address.

* The Australian Statistician will declare the final result. It won't require a writ like an election.

(Source: Finance Minister Mathias Cormann.)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

* Allowing only a single response per envelope will mitigate against problems with the papers being copied.

Anyone know how to fold paper to make some more return envelopes?

* The Australian Statistician will declare the final result. It won't require a writ like an election.

That chap is going to get a VERY nice bottle of wine.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/LeftyMatt/status/895504092352528385

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Oh I guess he won't need that bottle of wine after all.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the minister for the ABS is not the australian statistician

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I wonder if the gay marriage results will be seasonally adjusted.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Tokamak posted:

Probably not, but they could always legislate it, or make threats that they will crack down to discourage people from even trying. It's not even a necessary thing to do, but I know the government likes to look tough on perceived problems.

Not really given this is their response to not being able to pass anything in parliament

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BBJoey posted:

the minister for the ABS is not the australian statistician

No but if the minister gives you a direction you do it.

Or he appointed you so you're already on the same page.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

FACTS ABOUT THE SAME-SEX MARRIAGE POSTAL BALLOT:

* Envelopes will be posted by the Australian Bureau of Statistics from September 12, with responses due by November 7 and a result announced on November 15.

* The electoral roll will close on August 24.

* Survey forms will include the question "Should the law be changed to allow same-sex couples to marry?" and voters will tick a "yes" or "no" box. Other marks on the form (such as a "1" in one box, or an "x" in one box) will be counted, so long as the preference of the voter is clear.

* Campaign material from political parties and other organisations will not need any authorisation details. That is, the source of the material need not be disclosed to voters because it is not being conducted under electoral laws.

* If people feel aggrieved by campaign material the following laws apply: Broadcasting Services Act (requires particulars where political material is broadcast on radio and television); Criminal Code (it is an offence to urge violence against groups or members of groups); civil and criminal penalties in state and territory laws; Telecommunications and Postal Services Act (offences against the use of telephone and postal services to menace or harass, or to use the services of Australia Post in such a way as to be regarded as offensive).

* The government has made it clear it wants campaigners to take part with courtesy and respect.

* If voters do not receive a ballot paper for whatever reason, or mess one up and require another, contact the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

* If political parties spend money on campaigning, or receive donations, the "usual rules" under the Electoral Act will apply.

* Ballot paper scrutineers for both sides of the argument will be able to be appointed by members of the House of Representatives and senators.

* There will be a call centre for defence personnel on deployment.

* Australians overseas, who are on the electoral roll, and have registered as an overseas voter and provided their overseas address, will receive all the necessary documentation to enable them to vote at their overseas address.

What if I vote 1 in yes and 2 in no?

The government has made it clear it wants campaigners to take part with courtesy and respect, yeah I bet.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Someone should send in a bunch of really obvious forgeries for the 'No' side and send photos of the forgeries to the media

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Do Millennials even know how to mail a letter?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Will there be a sausage sizzle?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Do Millennials even know how to mail a letter?

WHOAHHH better calm down with the SPICY TAKES there chief :iceburn:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Just finished up a bit of an effortpost on Facebook about the mistake of abstaining instead of voting 'yes'. If people want it, here you go:

quote:

Last night, a friend of mine asked me about the conflict of voting 'yes' on the upcoming plebiscite, versus conscientiously abstaining. He meant well, as I believe does everybody facing the same question, but I think I should outline openly why I believe everybody asking that of themselves should be voting 'yes'.

The LNP doesn't want to pass same-sex marriage. There are individuals within the party who do, and I applaud those few for their efforts, but that ship is unquestionably being sailed on this by the likes of Abbott, Abetz, and Christensen. Indeed this is why we're facing of all things a postal plebiscite, after the initial plan failed. Postal votes have a far lower turnout even when compulsory, and trends towards older and more conservative voters.

It's natural to want to de-legitimize it, given that and the fact that it's non-binding. But that's playing into their hands: they don't WANT this to be legitimate, because if it was they couldn't win. They want a 'no' vote, regardless of if the turnout is 4%, 40% or 4,000%, or how many eggs need to be broken to make it happen. Drawing whatever obscenities you're inclined towards drawing on the ballot is cathartic at the time, but it's playing exactly into their hands.

You want catharsis? That will happen in far greater droves if they get back a 'yes', and then either have to begrudgingly pass it or justify the fact that they won't and suffer badly for it.

Suffering, though, brings up the issue that caused the plebiscite to be unacceptable in the first place. Because if that starting gun is fired, things are going to get ugly. LGBT people are going to be painted as degenerates, as enemies of religion, as unfit parents (because everything's about the children to some people, even the things that are in no way about children), and as any number of awful things that I don't want to imagine enough to write, and you don't want to read enough to think about. As a trans woman, I fully expect to get targeted for a lot, and yet I won't be the hardest hit nor the least able to take it.

But the plebiscite isn't that starting gun. Nor is it the finish line for this race, even in an optimistic scenario, but it's the biggest marker they're allowing us to strive for right now. Voting on the plebiscite doesn't 'legitimize' those attacks, it adds to one of a good many reasons those attacks are wrong. If good-hearted people abstaining causes that result to come back a 'no', that will be one hell of a painful blow to so many of the people who have already, up until the point that result is released, been facing a lot of hatred. I don't see a 'yes' result causing a young LGBT person to self-harm by itself, but I can sure see a 'no' result doing them a lot of damage.

Abstaining doesn't mean you're opting out of the battle. It means you're opting out of the part where we can win it.

I've made the post public, which might be a bad idea. If you feel like sharing it yourself you can find it yourself, I'm not inclined to post my Facebook account here.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/LeeLinChinSBS/status/895546140686340097

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Cleretic posted:

Just finished up a bit of an effortpost on Facebook about the mistake of abstaining instead of voting 'yes'. If people want it, here you go:

I've made the post public, which might be a bad idea. If you feel like sharing it yourself you can find it yourself, I'm not inclined to post my Facebook account here.
But are you actually gay? NOTE:- This is very important.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I support marriage equality in that I think it should be abolished completely.

But if any people regardless of who they gently caress want to pay fifty grand to wear some fancy clothes for a day and give a bunch of people a nice lunch then what kind of dickhead would I be to stop them?

*looks at LNP bigots when they're not busy looting the wealth of the nation*

Oh.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
I can see an argument for abstaining if you were to compare a hypothetical 99% no vote with 10% turnout to a 52-48% no vote with 30% turnout, since the latter would be much more damaging to marriage equality, but in practice telling people not to vote is a pretty dumb strategy.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Bill Shorten's speech today was actually half decent.

https://www.facebook.com/BillShorten/videos/1421110457925511/?hc_ref=ART7MQM5iYT4g83-qDztv43pc3NbuZ0PvaeIJaQHrZD6COHs-1KVYtibVwiEsAr85uQ

He spits some hot fire here.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Cartoon posted:

If someone is encouraging people to do something which will see the continued denial of civil rights to a group of people, are you not interested in whether they belong to that group?

In cleretics case, they're encouraging people to give them the civil rights, so it's not really important, no.

Honestly, have I done something to upset you personally?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Cartoon posted:

I'm trans, so I'm going from straight to gay.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Cartoon posted:

Do you have syphilis or heavy metal poisoning, Cartoon? You've really gone downhill in the last few years.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Don Dongington posted:

WHOAHHH better calm down with the SPICY TAKES there chief :iceburn:

Excuse me, sir

The government has made it clear it wants campaigners to take part with courtesy and respect.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Has there ever been a better time to start hitting the fundies back at how priests have been more danger to good Christian children than the dreaded gays have ever been?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Inescapable Duck posted:

Has there ever been a better time to start hitting the fundies back at how priests have been more danger to good Christian children than the dreaded gays have ever been?

Since when have fundies been rational thinkers?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

1. Don't give them an excuse to invalidate your vote either way
2. You'd just be annoying some poor ABS/AusPost worker. It's not like Turnbull's opening the envelopes.

For real, don't sabotage the postal votes with glitter or anything else. The only one affected by it is the poor bastard who's on their feet for their 8 hour shift of opening envelopes and stacking forms together so they can be sent to the schlubs working the document scanners. Making it so they open the envelope and get glitter all over their hands and shirt and then get nauseous from the smell and throw up and have to call in cleaners to do a hazardous materials cleanup and then get hospital tests isn't funny.

Source, I worked on the census ~ten years ago and this happened to one of the document preppers but with human poo poo instead of glitter

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Korgan posted:

For real, don't sabotage the postal votes with glitter or anything else. The only one affected by it is the poor bastard who's on their feet for their 8 hour shift of opening envelopes and stacking forms together so they can be sent to the schlubs working the document scanners. Making it so they open the envelope and get glitter all over their hands and shirt and then get nauseous from the smell and throw up and have to call in cleaners to do a hazardous materials cleanup and then get hospital tests isn't funny.

Source, I worked on the census ~ten years ago and this happened to one of the document preppers but with human poo poo instead of glitter

oh my lord

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think we all send a human poo poo somewhere when we vote.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

no voting is for which pile of human poo poo we want

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Inescapable Duck posted:

It turns out they just take their bat and ball and go home. Which is a refreshing alternative to sharing news stories about how children of same sex couples 'wish they had a father'.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I'm trans, so I'm going from straight to gay.

I'm mad that they've phrased it so narrowly, a transwoman should be able to gay marry a woman or a transman marry a man or intersex and chromosomally diverse people should be able to marry whoever they want without their private medical history coming under scrutiny. Calling it same-sex marriage instead of marriage equality means that even a binding "yes" vote wouldn't fix things for some people.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

If we're really going to do marriage equality, how do we feel about polygamy?

Love is love, right?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hobo Erotica posted:

If we're really going to do marriage equality, how do we feel about polygamy?

Love is love, right?

Who are we to exclude the robosexuals or those with a literal car fetish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2EMGmv0FqM (SFW you fucks)

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I think we can comfortably draw a line at consenting adults.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Beautiful Daisy

https://twitter.com/theboltreport/status/895586924257202176

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The plebiscite is utter bullshit which will be manipulated and gamed to all gently caress by the bigoted wankers in charge but of course you should vote for equal rights.

What loving moron thinks not doing that is a good thing.

You know, apart from the people who have already declared as such in a "me me me look at me" sort of fashion.

• Locked thread