Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i bet odas figured out like half the end fights already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Well one half of the end fights are the strawhats, but who will be the other half. That's the trick, hrmm.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The final fight will be the ultimate battle leading into Oda's mecha manga:

Complete Big Emperor vs Gorosei Docking

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Enies Lobby's scene with Robin but the other way around and the crew crying for Robin to join the Big Emperor

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

The Enies Lobby's scene with Robin but the other way around and the crew crying for Robin to join the Big Emperor

That reminds me, have we seen Coby at all since the timeskip (anime filler or otherwise)? Though then again, there hasn't been much Marine involvement in the second half at all that I remember ever since they set out for the New World.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 9, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Larryb posted:

That reminds me, have we seen Coby at all since the timeskip (anime filler or otherwise)? Though then again, there hasn't been much Marine involvement in the second half at all that I remember ever since they set out for the New World.

yes in the episode of Luffy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWCzI5LCE0g

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Blockhouse posted:

nah there's good stuff strewn in here and there

https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/34949
https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/34888
https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/25101

all of this looks better than the blueno fight

Th-this is a joke, right?

Like, maybe you could argue for that first one, though I'd disagree. The other two look like dogshit in comparison though :pwn:

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Why does Helmeppo always wear a blindfold now? Maybe that's why he sucks compared to Coby.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

EGSunBro posted:

Why does Helmeppo always wear a blindfold now? Maybe that's why he sucks compared to Coby.

You take that back.

Nobody sucks compared to Coby.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

i don't remember this in the manga

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

WHAAAAAT?? How can the quality be this good an episode or two away from the Cracker fight?!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Cat Machine posted:

WHAAAAAT?? How can the quality be this good an episode or two away from the Cracker fight?!

The primary answer is that One Piece's animation quality varies like crazy from scene to scene, not just episode to episode. But also that is from the beginning of Zou, so well over an episode or two removed from Cracker.

Though, to be fair, an 800 episode series has to get a fair bit of lee-way when it comes to measuring time/episode count.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jose posted:

i don't remember this in the manga

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_of_Luffy

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

tsob posted:

We'll probably get something similar when he eventually fights Van Auger.

Shot for Shot remake of Enemy at the Gates.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

EGSunBro posted:

EGSunBro posted:

They are very tiny sunglasses

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Blockhouse posted:

nah there's good stuff strewn in here and there

https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/34949
https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/34888

they upped the budget to focus on namis bouncing. the execs gave the thumbs up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

An admirable goal.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the actual reason is that toei and the animation industry as a whole have a small pool of extremely talented animators and they're all working on twenty shows at once

anime has reached a point where you need to produce as much as possible as fast as possible to be successful. Even when series go on season breaks their staff is working on something else at all times.

when there's spikes in animation in a show like One Piece and your thought is "Where was that the rest of the time??" the answer is it was in Tiger Mask W or Pretty Cure or Dragonball Super or so on and so forth because a handful of really good dudes are drifting through all these series as their schedules allow

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 9, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tbp posted:

they upped the budget to focus on namis bouncing. the execs gave the thumbs up.

carrot too watching those

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Blockhouse posted:

the actual reason is that toei and the animation industry as a whole have a small pool of extremely talented animators and they're all working on twenty shows at once

anime has reached a point where you need to produce as much as possible as fast as possible to be successful. Even when series go on season breaks their staff is working on something else at all times.

when there's spikes in animation in a show like One Piece and your thought is "Where was that the rest of the time??" the answer is it was in Tiger Mask W or Pretty Cure or Dragonball Super or so on and so forth because a handful of really good dudes are drifting through all these series as their schedules allow

And it's only getting worse as almost every studio that used to actually hire and keep it's animators have gone under, so most studios are contracting their entire team on a per anime basis. I think Kyoto Animation still has a full staff?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

EDIT: Unless said goon didn't have an avatar in which case yikes.

I don't remember the name, but the poster had an avatar of a lady with pink hair!

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Parrotine posted:

I don't remember the name, but the poster had an avatar of a lady with pink hair!

I think this is the first post?

Moltrey, back in April posted:

Hi just wanted to say I finished the first 100 chapters of One Piece and I'm def sold on it. I never gelled with it watching it on TV when I was younger and previously when I had tried to read it, I stopped like halfway through Usopp's introduction arc. This past month I finally sat down and got further and holy gently caress. The final chapter of the Usopp arc got me....and then the flashback in Sanji's arc got me......and then the entirety of the Arlong Park arc got me and then everything loving clicked, I totally got One Piece I felt and there are still 700+ chapters to go. It'll be a slow burn for me but I totally plan to keep going with it eventually, it's super fun and really surprised me in ways I wasn't expecting.

for real tho, I love Bellemere, god the Arlong Park arc was so good

The skies are clear and the wind's mild. Perfect weather for a pinwheel to spin.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

JahRoo posted:

I think this is the first post?
Haha, looks like they actually stopped reading after that gross flying squirrel cover page. I thought that was a joke overreaction, but nope. That's that.

A shame, I really enjoyed their reactions to all this stuff too. It's wonderful to see the series through fresh eyes.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
So... I think Blackbeard literally ate Whitebeard's heart to obtain his earthquake powers. Given what Marco said about Blackbeard's body being unusual, Big Mom obtaining Mother Caramel's powers via cannibalism, and the eventual reveal of what Blackbeard actually did under his tarp probably not just for secrecy but to cement how demented he is from a narrative-standpoint (plus One Piece as a whole emphasizing strength from the 'heart'), I'll put my money on that being the secret to how Devil Fruit powers are stored in the body.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Eiba posted:

Haha, looks like they actually stopped reading after that gross flying squirrel cover page. I thought that was a joke overreaction, but nope. That's that.

A shame, I really enjoyed their reactions to all this stuff too. It's wonderful to see the series through fresh eyes.

Oh man we got blueballed, it's too perfect :allears:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
what kind of life are they living where thats the breaking point to giving up on something

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

And it's only getting worse as almost every studio that used to actually hire and keep it's animators have gone under, so most studios are contracting their entire team on a per anime basis. I think Kyoto Animation still has a full staff?

its cool how rather than lower dvd and blu-ray prices to levels everyone can afford them they're chasing an increasingly small pool of weirdo's who'll pay the insanely high prices and its causing everyone to go bust

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

So... I think Blackbeard literally ate Whitebeard's heart to obtain his earthquake powers. Given what Marco said about Blackbeard's body being unusual, Big Mom obtaining Mother Caramel's powers via cannibalism, and the eventual reveal of what Blackbeard actually did under his tarp probably not just for secrecy but to cement how demented he is from a narrative-standpoint (plus One Piece as a whole emphasizing strength from the 'heart'), I'll put my money on that being the secret to how Devil Fruit powers are stored in the body.

I want to say cannibalism is too dark for OP, but Big Mom did eat all her mother and siblings as a child so anything's in the air. I'm still betting Blackbeard's double fruit is either his awakened fruit ability or D.'s can control multiple fruits (So Sabo will die and Luffy will control the mera-mera and gum-gum somehow).

Either way, I feel especially bad for Wapol's power as any fight with a devil fruit would mean instant death.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

having sabo die so luffy can get ace's power would be so bad and I hope it doesn't happen

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm still not convinced about Big Mom eating Carmel, largely because it begs the question as to why she was shown as secretly being evil, since if she and the kids all died right there then it had no bearing on the story whatsoever, nor would there be any way for it to, since you'd have no proof to convince Big Mom that she was evil (but proving she was alive afterwards might).

I'm still sticking with Carmel passing on her power as a front, since she wanted that group of kids to be her last job before disappearing; all we know about Streusen is that he saw something impressive that made him stick with Big Mom, which passing on a devil fruit would definitely count as. Plus it would help explain how Blackbeard stole Whitebeard's power direct from his body, and we're late enough in the series that those kind of revelations are going to be drip fed into the story.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm still not convinced about Big Mom eating Carmel, largely because it begs the question as to why she was shown as secretly being evil, since if she and the kids all died right there then it had no bearing on the story whatsoever, nor would there be any way for it to, since you'd have no proof to convince Big Mom that she was evil (but proving she was alive afterwards might).

I'm still sticking with Carmel passing on her power as a front, since she wanted that group of kids to be her last job before disappearing; all we know about Streusen is that he saw something impressive that made him stick with Big Mom, which passing on a devil fruit would definitely count as. Plus it would help explain how Blackbeard stole Whitebeard's power direct from his body, and we're late enough in the series that those kind of revelations are going to be drip fed into the story.

The purpose of Carmel being secretly evil was to explain how being raised by someone so apparently saintly could lead to someone eating her entire extended family. Carmel's tendency to act incredibly blasé about Linlin's increasingly disturbing behaviour made little sense for a living saint, but made much more sense for someone nurturing her into a living weapon. I suspect that Lucci got much the same upbringing.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm still not convinced about Big Mom eating Carmel

lol

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

largely because it begs the question as to why she was shown as secretly being evil

Probably because having big mom eat the most genuinely kind and caring character in the manga would be an actual tragedy, but having Carmel literally be devoured by her own ambitions is poetic justice.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I think big mam ate mother caramel but until the arc is over I'll still sort of expect them to turn out to be fine

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Big Mom's first appearance circa Fishman Island arc depicts her eating a minion alive while Pudding squirmed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I know what you mean, but I imagined her eating a Minion and laughed.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Waffleman_ posted:

I know what you mean, but I imagined her eating a Minion and laughed.

big mom would post minions memes on facebook

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Luffy's most dangerous opponent yet... Big Facebook Mom!!! Can the Strawhat Pirates withstand their newsfeeds being clogged with baby pictures, chain letters and anti-vax articles? Stay tuned!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The homies aren't people, which those minions clearly were, now that we know about Big Mom's powers.

Also we've seen that Big Mom's sense of taste is still present even at the height of her rage and she rejects anything that isn't sweet even then, which doesn't lend a lot of credence to her mindlessly eating actual people. Even when she was on a food rampage at the start of the arc she took someone's soul instead of literally cramming them into her mouth.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

anime was right posted:

big mom would post minions memes on facebook

nazi minion memes are very powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

He got an organ transplant and thus can have more fruits, or hes a cerebrus zoan and he can hold two more fruits for his two other heads are my theories.