Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral Crackbar
Jan 4, 2012

To be fair, those caddys are pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

SO DEMANDING posted:

oh poo poo now you've done it, here come the home theater nerds and videophiles

my parents didn't know the ps2 played DVDs OR that the library had r rated DVDs so I'd check out a nice popular science and slide a copy of American pie inside 😎

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i still have physical media because the upcoming balkanization of online streaming services is going to make it really hard to consistently watch any tv show or movie

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's basically the revenge of the cable tv provider

instead of paying a ridiculous amount of money for a batch of channels you only may watch a handful of, you'll be paying a ridiculous amount of money (overall) to a whole slew of providers each with a tiny fraction of what you want to watch

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Stymie posted:

i still have physical media because the upcoming balkanization of online streaming services is going to make it really hard to consistently watch any tv show or movie

Stymie posted:

it's basically the revenge of the cable tv provider

instead of paying a ridiculous amount of money for a batch of channels you only may watch a handful of, you'll be paying a ridiculous amount of money (overall) to a whole slew of providers each with a tiny fraction of what you want to watch

i ain't just quoting stymie im DOUBLE QUOTING stymie

the solution of course is, and always shall be, piracy

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
stymie was... right?

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

:ssh: it's an art project https://www.muhka.be/programme/detail/660-a-temporary-institute-of-futures-studies/item/15605-nurturepod

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
that website deserves some kind of award. the header takes up 80% of the screen on mobile so you only have a tiny scrolling pane to read the article in.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/jjvincent/status/895554642133659648

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
holy gently caress, that is cyberpunk as all hell

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
more biopunk than cyberpunk really

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
[quote="“Admiral Crackbar”" post="“475209725”"]
They’ll go the way of cassette tapes eventually. Even bluray was kind of too little too late, it lost out to streaming and download services before it could really catch on.

I still use optical media at work occasionally, but our last batch of purchased laptops was lacking dvd drives (HPs).
[/quote]

there’s a push for blu-rays in the data center as cold storage since the drives are cheap and reliable and it doesn’t take a lot of fuckery to read out your data, unlike LTO.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

they cheated

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jimmy Carter posted:

there’s a push for blu-rays in the data center as cold storage since the drives are cheap and reliable and it doesn’t take a lot of fuckery to read out your data, unlike LTO.

how long do the discs last though? it seems like with higher storage densities they'd be even more sensitive to the rot that destroys cd/dvd

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

infernal machines posted:

how long do the discs last though? it seems like with higher storage densities they'd be even more sensitive to the rot that destroys cd/dvd
Part of my job is going to boring-rear end conferences trying to figure poo poo like this out so you can solve the problem of how to archivally preserve born-digital data for centuries, when the average lifespan of any given piece of hardware is 10-20 years max, and entire formats are obsolete in 30 years. Certain (well funded) institutes like the British Library and National Archives maintain inventories of working examples of literally every piece of computer hardware they can lay their hands on, but lol if you think most places have the long-term planning, foresight and money to do that.

Wanna take a guess what the best answer is right now to guarantee survival for critical information?

:ssh:print everything out on paper lmao. Also don't put it in a climate controlled cutting edge facility because as soon as your boiler breaks down everything's hosed. Just make a massive room with really thick walls, print everything out on paper, stick it in ph neutral boxes and folders, and hope for the best.:ssh:

This is the cyberpunk future.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

first bit of cyberpunk future bought by this thread that i unironically like. rebuild the library of alexandria in all neon lights

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

communism bitch posted:

Part of my job is going to boring-rear end conferences trying to figure poo poo like this out so you can solve the problem of how to archivally preserve born-digital data for centuries, when the average lifespan of any given piece of hardware is 10-20 years max, and entire formats are obsolete in 30 years. Certain (well funded) institutes like the British Library and National Archives maintain inventories of working examples of literally every piece of computer hardware they can lay their hands on, but lol if you think most places have the long-term planning, foresight and money to do that.

Wanna take a guess what the best answer is right now to guarantee survival for critical information?

:ssh:print everything out on paper lmao. Also don't put it in a climate controlled cutting edge facility because as soon as your boiler breaks down everything's hosed. Just make a massive room with really thick walls, print everything out on paper, stick it in ph neutral boxes and folders, and hope for the best.:ssh:

archiving seems like it would be cool as hell while also extremely nerve wracking as people must be constantly scrambling to save poo poo before it rots in one way or another

any thoughts on m-disc?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

is there any merit to those m-discs which claim 1000 year longevity when properly stored, or is the gimmick that "proper storage" is a vacuum sealed container in a salt mine where any media would last that long?

i'm somewhat surprised that i have verbatim azo cd-r discs which still read error-free after 20 years while anything burned on cheaper media is long dead. i guess that's what paying roughly $2/disc in 1997 dollars gets you.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 10, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

SO DEMANDING posted:

archiving seems like it would be cool as hell while also extremely nerve wracking as people must be constantly scrambling to save poo poo before it rots in one way or another

any job that pits you directly against entropy is probably a losing proposition

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

any job that pits you directly against entropy is probably a losing proposition

I like to whimsically describe my job as the endless war against entropy, but really that's all of human civilisation. Which is a grim thought.

I can't offer much of an opinion on M Disc because it's a bit high tech for my collection which is mostly 100-1000 years old and written on vellum and paper. Some of my colleagues are trying to figure out a policy for our modern records but it's a nightmare. The transience of data formats, hardware, software, and proprietory infrastructure owned by companies that could be gone in 10 years let alone 100 makes it a real pickle.

One of the specialty professions within archiving is palaeography - people who can pick apart ancient languages and ancient handwriting while also interpreting the (often mystefying) structure and meaning of old documents. In the future i like to imagibe you're gonna get digital palaeographers who maintain racks of centuries old hardware and are fluent in loving Ruby or Python and can piece ancient code back together from fragments. :awesomelon:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

The_Franz posted:

i'm somewhat surprised that i have verbatim azo cd-r discs which still read error-free after 20 years while anything burned on cheaper media is long dead. i guess that's what paying roughly $2/disc in 1997 dollars gets you.

slower burned media also lasts longer. you weren't burning at 48x in '97

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I'm considering utilizing Blu-Rays + PAR files to archive all my silly drone footage for future generations

Option B: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/02/bored-with-ho-hum-cloud-backups-use-usenet-yes-usenet-instead/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's 2017, amazon echo knows you're dreaming and plays a light medley of your favourite ads

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

communism bitch posted:

I like to whimsically describe my job as the endless war against entropy, but really that's all of human civilisation. Which is a grim thought.

I can't offer much of an opinion on M Disc because it's a bit high tech for my collection which is mostly 100-1000 years old and written on vellum and paper. Some of my colleagues are trying to figure out a policy for our modern records but it's a nightmare. The transience of data formats, hardware, software, and proprietory infrastructure owned by companies that could be gone in 10 years let alone 100 makes it a real pickle.

One of the specialty professions within archiving is palaeography - people who can pick apart ancient languages and ancient handwriting while also interpreting the (often mystefying) structure and meaning of old documents. In the future i like to imagibe you're gonna get digital palaeographers who maintain racks of centuries old hardware and are fluent in loving Ruby or Python and can piece ancient code back together from fragments. :awesomelon:

in the Watts rifters trilogy there's special agents with essentially unlimited authority who's job is just trying to hold civilization together and they call them "Lawbreakers" because their job is to break the third law of thermodynamics

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

communism bitch posted:

grimmer still when you realize that it will in fact end and you know you're gonna lose

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Silver Alicorn posted:

I bought a new blu ray today & watched it

honestly I am disappointed they didn't keep the caddys

tempted to get fifth element on bluray now that its almost a dead gay format the most cyberpunk of formats

SO DEMANDING posted:

i ain't just quoting stymie im DOUBLE QUOTING stymie

the solution of course is, and always shall be, piracy

two quotes make a not quote

fuckin play those light speed briefs ads jeff

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

roll that beautiful brief footage

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
invest in laser disc

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

communism bitch posted:

yeah short term is quality paper, long term is probably laser etched quartz, but that assumes that future civilization will still have access to devices that can read quartz memory, so paper backup will probably still be necessary

in 2525, mankind wears the superman data crystals from an earlier age as jewelry, lights their cooking fires with the strange spellword thinwood from the dryrooms thoughtfully left behind by the ancients from the beforetime

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

angry_keebler posted:

in 2525, mankind wears the superman data crystals from an earlier age as jewelry, lights their cooking fires with the strange spellword thinwood from the dryrooms thoughtfully left behind by the ancients from the beforetime

actually three women fight to stay alive

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
civilization on a book of the new sun timescale is gonna be a lot like latro in the mist now that i think about it

you can keep all the records you like but it won't be long before you can't read them fast enough to keep it all in your head

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Silver Alicorn posted:

that website deserves some kind of award. the header takes up 80% of the screen on mobile so you only have a tiny scrolling pane to read the article in.

it took thirty seconds to load for me. for an image and two sentences of description.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

communism bitch posted:

This is already happening, the Internet Archive is the hub of a lot of it as are museums like the Living Computer Museum + Labs and the Computer History Museum.

Their overall strategy for preservation is to keep data live while replicating it to many sites and upgrading hardware basically nonstop; I want to say that their price tag to endow 1TB of live storage indefinitely is on the order of US$1K.

They're also working hard to preserve software. For example, they had a lot to do with the emscripten JavaScript port of MAME to run emulators directly in the browser, so old systems' software can be experienced without the need for hardware.

They've even been involved in some of the organized efforts to produce "clean" cracks of old copy protection schemes, since those get in the way of preservation. (See the great work 4AM has been doing breaking Apple II copy protection schemes, for both games and educational software.)

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that they're also involved with the development of magnetic flux transition reading tools like KryoFlux and the new AppleSauce, since they make it possible to separate archiving from cracking (which lets the copy protection itself be preserved as it's an important artifact too, of course).

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eschaton posted:

Their overall strategy for preservation is to keep data live while replicating it to many sites and upgrading hardware basically nonstop; I want to say that their price tag to endow 1TB of live storage indefinitely is on the order of US$1K.

hmm. this is kinda neat. can i endow a block of storage and put my name on it? and do i get to pick what gets archived?

"this is the Sagebrush Collection, a thousand gigabytes of vaporwave GIFs and pictures of pretty girls with motorcycles"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
http://i.imgur.com/3I0Pr19.mp4

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sagebrush posted:

hmm. this is kinda neat. can i endow a block of storage and put my name on it? and do i get to pick what gets archived?

"this is the Sagebrush Collection, a thousand gigabytes of vaporwave GIFs and pictures of pretty girls with motorcycles"

I'm pretty sure you can do all three together right now by basically donating them an archive along with the money to store it indefinitely, so you could do The Sagebrush Collection

I don't know whether you can endow storage and put your name on it though, like "this random classic Mac manual scan is provided courtesy The Eschaton Fund, visit eschaton.fund to learn more" but that might be an interesting idea for them to increase donations

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
talk about curated content

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvK4l-nvWwI

between this and the Cyberpunk 2017 game by the Witcher III team it looks like a good time for neon and rain.

This just dropped on Steam, and I got a 20% off voucher for owning Layers of Fear :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Is the hand improperly attached to the arm? Should it be rotating like that from one little flick?

:ohdear:

• Locked thread