Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

ive used over 200 fusings and haven't gotten a 5link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Of the various scorching ray/righteous fire builds going around, which would you say is the "best" ascendancy class for it?

Berserk for 40% more damage good attack speed and warcrys replacing the need for life flasks?
Chieftain for the highest health regen stacking endurance charges and 10% more strength for using Doon Cuebiyari?
Inquisitor for consecrated ground bonuses and more attack/cast speed while moving around and easy MoM access?
Guardian? though I know less about it.

As far as my knowledge goes

Berserker for pure life RF with Koams etc
Inquisitor for RF/SR with MoM
Guardian for LL RF (expensive)

No idea about chieftain

Oh and Trickster or Ascendant for pure Scorching Ray.

Stangg fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 10, 2017

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

ive used over 200 fusings and haven't gotten a 5link

:rip:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Fix your poo poo.

Those fuckers were instagibbing my Juggernaut with 4.3k hp, capped resists and 6 End charges

I may have been running non-leech self-cast Dark Pact, but what of it???

E: speaking of, it kinda sucks and though switching to zerker for a VP version would probably shore it up fine defensively I've been extremely disappointed with the damage so far, doesn't seem worth the life-loss drawback at all. No matter how much I look at the tree and try to work things out, there just aren't enough good nodes to scale DP damage on the left/bottom sides of the tree and you have to spend so many nodes getting %Life that if you try to travel to sweeter pastures and grab more of them, you're suddenly looking at 120+ points spent.

I tried figuring out my best level 93 build and it was like 55k dps with my current 4L and no flasks, like 170k with 6L + Flasks. That's like barely more than I had on my equally shittily geared ele wander's 4L Kinetic Blast, and that guy had monster Barrage for bosses which Dark Pact absolutely blows at killing.

I did find a nice 550 armor 6L so I guess I can start working towards a more normal Marauder build.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 10, 2017

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Char posted:

Yeah, it's just that the economy is another system that needs to be learned. I have 2 chaos orbs now, and I don't know what should I do with them - that's why I'd like to use a SSF-functional build.

I doubt anyone playing this game has a full grasp of the economy. You don't need to understand anything about it to use poe.trade, use the filters to locate an item you want at a price you're willing to pay, and copy the provided whisper into chat.

You might not buy the most optimal items, but it's way easier to buy items than to craft/find them yourself. Granted, selling can get complex, but honestly the only way you learn that is by jumping in and making some mistakes.

Going for a build that doesn't need super specific items as your first is a good plan, however, and I believe ED is pretty good for that.

My comment wasn't only directed at you, it's quite common new guys post about how they're going to play super-challenge mode or just avoid trading because they think it will be easier. It is not.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Of the various scorching ray/righteous fire builds going around, which would you say is the "best" ascendancy class for it?

Berserk for 40% more damage good attack speed and warcrys replacing the need for life flasks?
Chieftain for the highest health regen stacking endurance charges and 10% more strength for using Doon Cuebiyari?
Inquisitor for consecrated ground bonuses and more attack/cast speed while moving around and easy MoM access?
Guardian? though I know less about it.

I'm doing Inquisitor SR until I get set-up for RF and I have to say it's been smooth sailing so far

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Also please join discord if you are a new player who has questions

we luv 2 answer questions when we should be working

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Well, it turned out that Act 10 was pretty much a pushover besides those instagib duders.

Is my poo poo considered fixed now? :v:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Missionary Positron posted:

Well, it turned out that Act 10 was pretty much a pushover besides those instagib duders.

Is my poo poo considered fixed now? :v:

Which are the instagib duders? I remember some guys who used Spectral Throw, which was annoying because my usual reaction of running straight away (instead of sideways) meant I died a lot, and some corpse-eating launcher guys who exploded 2 seconds after they died.

Both of which I think were problems caused by non-capped resists doubling my fire damage taken.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah the spec throw is rough because that's mostly not a thing in the entire game before that

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Yeah the spec throw is rough because that's mostly not a thing in the entire game before that

They're also really hard to see. The projectiles have an annoying tendency to blend in to the background in addition to moving pretty fast.

J
Jun 10, 2001

The act10 spectral throw guys are pretty busted and I expect them to get toned down. The act10 versions are manageable, but just wait till you see those fuckers in maps, particularly red maps. I've gotten instagibbed by them in maps a couple times, on mod combinations I didn't consider to be particularly dangerous. On actual dangerous map mod combinations, forget it.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I just got to the last boss and it feels like I'm throwing myself at a brick wall.

I have maxed out resists and roughly 2.7k health. I'm probably a little low on health. I've attached my profile.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Madasi/characters

I'm going to be upgrading my weapons tonight but I'm curious what else I could be slotting/looking for to improve survivability/kill speed. I can rip through waves of baddies and can kill elites relatively quickly but it just seems like when I get to bosses I get almost instagibbed, which leads to me entering the fight without any frenzy charges.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Can't check the details from phone but you really seem to be low on health. I had that much in act 7.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

m.hache posted:

So I just got to the last boss and it feels like I'm throwing myself at a brick wall.

I have maxed out resists and roughly 2.7k health. I'm probably a little low on health. I've attached my profile.

I'm going to be upgrading my weapons tonight but I'm curious what else I could be slotting/looking for to improve survivability/kill speed. I can rip through waves of baddies and can kill elites relatively quickly but it just seems like when I get to bosses I get almost instagibbed, which leads to me entering the fight without any frenzy charges.

yeah everyone has Kitava problems, welcome to the club

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I am still under that much in maps but I'm also running a totem build and I kill poo poo offscreen. I still die occasionally. Your best bet is getting better equipment. Make sure your resistances are capped and also I don't see life on your rings, belt, gloves. Maybe get two instant flasks and skip mana unless you actually run oom

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Can't check the details from phone but you really seem to be low on health. I had that much in act 7.

I've been picking up health nodes where I can but I guess I need to start prioritizing gear with +health on it.

What should I be aiming for? The build I was following seems to prioritize evade a bunch but I feel like that just puts me into a "You're alive or you're not" scenario.

Also, are there settings I can change that makes attacking a little smoother? I find that sometimes I get locked onto a boss and even though I try to click away to dodge a wind up attack I don't end up moving. Or if I'm attacking an elite my character will spin around and attack everything in range instead of just focusing on what I have targeted. It's not a game killer, but sometimes I end up dying because I don't kill the elite that's tearing me a new one because I keep changing targets to a totem it's dropping.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What you should be aiming for depends on the build and league. The other question, not sure about the elites problem, but the first one - do you have pure movement bound to left click?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

m.hache posted:

Also, are there settings I can change that makes attacking a little smoother? I find that sometimes I get locked onto a boss and even though I try to click away to dodge a wind up attack I don't end up moving. Or if I'm attacking an elite my character will spin around and attack everything in range instead of just focusing on what I have targeted. It's not a game killer, but sometimes I end up dying because I don't kill the elite that's tearing me a new one because I keep changing targets to a totem it's dropping.

Holding shift lets you attack in place. There's a workaround to force this always on by binding attack in place to a num key, holding that key down and enabling num lock.

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

m.hache posted:

Do you have multistrike in your links? It will cause you to swing multiple times, but I believe that only the first is guaranteed against your desired target.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

m.hache posted:

You need a whirling blades - faster attacks - fortify setup. Keep fortify up in tough fights.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

cytoc posted:

Do you have multistrike in your links? It will cause you to swing multiple times, but I believe that only the first is guaranteed against your desired target.

Yep, slotted Multistrike

MMF Freeway posted:

You need a whirling blades - faster attacks - fortify setup. Keep fortify up in tough fights.

Perfect. I'll try this tonight. I have way to many empty gem slots and wasn't sure what my best bet would be. Level the gems up or keep them at lvl 1?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Definitely level the faster attacks, whirling and fortify don't need to be leveled.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

AegisP posted:

The sentiment I've heard that seems to instantly fit is that Harbinger feels like a league that already happened and was then added to the base game afterwards.

Bex said on Reddit they're aware that Harbinger sucks poo poo and they have some improvements planned, so fingers crossed

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Soothing Vapors posted:

Bex said on Reddit they're aware that Harbinger sucks poo poo and they have some improvements planned, so fingers crossed

I personally hate having to wait for it to generate waves of guys, or locking onto it and not triggering icy blades. It just turns into a hard stop in my kill frenzy when I run into them.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

i can still taste him posted:

Got a 6S belly and couldn't 6L it, but got a 5L with the colors I need, so overall a good evening. Got to lv81 and now have 5.6k HP. DW sunder glad trudging onward through maps.

That's my POE story, thanks for reading.

Can you link your profile? I'm doing a similar build and just want to compare trees and poo poo (since I can't lookup people on the leaderboard).

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

m.hache posted:

Yep, slotted Multistrike

If you take out multistrike you will not have two thirds of your swings targeting random enemies and you also won't get locked in place waiting for all three swings to finish.

I would still run multistrike personally, but you can try slotting a different support in and see if you prefer the play style - it'll probably cut your overall DPS slightly though.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

cytoc posted:

If you take out multistrike you will not have two thirds of your swings targeting random enemies and you also won't get locked in place waiting for all three swings to finish.

I would still run multistrike personally, but you can try slotting a different support in and see if you prefer the play style - it'll probably cut your overall DPS slightly though.

Honestly, I noticed a massive increase in skill speed when I slotted it. I think my solution is to just beef myself up a bit so I can take a few hits without dying.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

m.hache posted:

I personally hate having to wait for it to generate waves of guys, or locking onto it and not triggering icy blades. It just turns into a hard stop in my kill frenzy when I run into them.

I just don't like that it clutters your inventory with shards. It's a chore.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah I would prefer if they just dropped full orbs at an appropriately adjusted rate.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I ended up filtering out everything below chaos shards, even that might be worth filtering out too.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I'd prefer breaches in every map.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Build: Facebreaker/Ancestral Warchief from this guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1694250

The guide recommends using Belly of the Beast, I am finally up to around 90c, and can afford a basic Belly of the Beast (no 5-6linked).

Playing around with path of building to see what the Belly would give me compared to a generic armor and/or evasion chestpiece, and using the filters +100 life and +1200 armor/evasion (which gives 1200+armor from my keystones) would give me more damage reduction and about 200 less life. A 6L chest with this description I can get for about 100c. The only other thing the belly gives me is the flask recharge rate.

My life pool right now is right about 3800.

So my question is: is the belly worth it when I can get a 6L and only give up a little bit of life.

My character is Choppy_Totems here: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/choppyesq/characters

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

So does Energy blow in this game? I'm following a witch build that goes out of its way to grab that big +life cluster, but doesn't bother getting the +energy clusters that are super close by.

nerox
May 20, 2001

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

So does Energy blow in this game? I'm following a witch build that goes out of its way to grab that big +life cluster, but doesn't bother getting the +energy clusters that are super close by.

I assume you mean energy shield? Energy Shield was really good last season, but they made it to where you couldn't leech 100% to energy shield instantly, which killed everyone doing CI for everything.

Edit: to expand on this, you rely a lot on leech at the end of game for sustaining if you are taking hits. The only way leech works is if you take the Vaal pact node which makes life leech instant instead of over time. Another node, Ghost reaver, made life leech apply to Energy shield. Chaos innoculation is a node that makes you have 1 life, but you are immune to chaos damage. So in Legacy, many top builds took all three of those nodes and went for a huge energy shield.

This patch made Ghost Reaver and Vaal Pact not work together. Since ES can't leech instantly, it is pretty much worthless in the late game.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, I am still pretty new at POE too.

nerox fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 10, 2017

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

yes, energy shield.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Nechronic posted:

I just don't like that it clutters your inventory with shards. It's a chore.

It's annoying that the currency page is one misc currency slot short of having room for all the new orbs and shards

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

nerox posted:

Someone correct me if I am wrong, I am still pretty new at POE too.

You're mostly right. More specifically they killed leeching ES builds, and decreased the max ES you can stack on gear a little. There are ES/CI builds that don't rely on leech and those should still work. Certainly most of the overpowered meta builds of previous leagues were leeching ES builds.

They also added new hybrid life mods on gear so life effectively becomes relatively stronger.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey, is the main guild full? PhillipSheridan needs an invite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

ImsaKidd posted:

Can you link your profile? I'm doing a similar build and just want to compare trees and poo poo (since I can't lookup people on the leaderboard).

http://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/SA_Dza/characters

Dzuelist