Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

atholbrose posted:

Just seeing this post sent me to YouTube to listen to Koorong. Sigh. I'd really like to play the new one, too.

God dammit why would you make me think about good SaGa games? I mean yeah, I can go back and play those, but it hurts to think that we'll probably never see another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Barudak posted:

It would have made sense, but no, I don't think it was. It was just a really weird, poorly made game, with some really pretty painterly backgrounds and some of the ugliest, no texture 3d graphics money could skimp out on. What an absolutely bizarre design decision to have the boss fights work on almost entirely different set of controls and mechanics than the rest of the game.

Plus I vaguely recall it's another one of those games like Lunar Dragon Song where running kills you.

You're mis-remembering things, I think. I mean yeah it goes to 3D for boss fights but it's decent Dreamcast 3D and uses the same controls, it's not untextured or whatever (I mean it doesn't hold up as well as the 2D does that's for sure, but I don't think it would be so bad to have that level of venom), and the thing that drains health was your spin that did a bunch of damage to enemies so it makes sense to limit it in some way, and it doesn't drain when you're sitting still so you can use it for puzzles that need it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CeallaSo posted:

God dammit why would you make me think about good SaGa games? I mean yeah, I can go back and play those, but it hurts to think that we'll probably never see another.

I've always wanted to go back and give SaGa Frontier 2 another shot. I never got too far into it when I first played it, probably because it was so different from SaGa Frontier, but I always liked its overall concept. A world where basically everyone can do magic and not being able to do it is a disability, and metal dampens magic, so nobody uses metal. And then one of the two plotlines is a prince born without the ability to use magic, so he's disowned and then figures, wait, I can't use magic anyway, so what if I own the poo poo out of everyone with a huge steel sword?

And now I'm thinking of the first SaGa Frontier and how great it is. I remember Asellus's story being my favorite, I think it was the first one I actually finished. And the next time I play Blue's story I'm going to intentionally lose to Rouge because Rouge is a cool dude who helps people and Blue is kind of a dumb prick.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 10, 2017

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I'd be interested in hearing how SaGa Scarlet Grace ended up the way it did. It was obviously made on a five dollar budget, but the battles having two and half load screens is such a peculiar manifestation of that.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I love that the final boss music in FF12 is a dramatic rendition of both the resistance and imperials leitmotif alternating, and i think you all should love it too.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Attitude Indicator posted:

I love that the final boss music in FF12 is a dramatic rendition of both the resistance and imperials leitmotif alternating, and i think you all should love it too.

It is very good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Phantasium posted:

You're mis-remembering things, I think. I mean yeah it goes to 3D for boss fights but it's decent Dreamcast 3D and uses the same controls, it's not untextured or whatever (I mean it doesn't hold up as well as the 2D does that's for sure, but I don't think it would be so bad to have that level of venom), and the thing that drains health was your spin that did a bunch of damage to enemies so it makes sense to limit it in some way, and it doesn't drain when you're sitting still so you can use it for puzzles that need it.

It uses the same controls, but the shift from 2d to 3d is jarring, especially because its only used during boss fights. There is also a bossfight that breaks pretty much all the rules where you pilot a mech boss you fought earlier to do a lovely laser battle in space against another mech boss.

Thanks for the spin info, I knew I couldnt be totally right since nothing is as cruel as Lunar DS.

I also loved that your attack and defense stats were controlled by having to find hidden capsules and only incremented every 3 capsules you found. I seem to recall there being pretty noticeable improvements in your attack and defense so if you didnt go out of your way to find them the game got much harder in a hurry.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

I actually don't remember, does the final boss also talk in iambic pentameter (post-merger, for however few lines it gets) like Venat? I know that blew my mind when someone first pointed out that the other Occuria talk in tetrameter and Venat has an extra iamb per line so that they sound similar without you picking up on why.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I don't know what the gently caress is happening to me but I'm enjoying playing Final Fantasy 15 now

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Norns posted:

I don't know what the gently caress is happening to me but I'm enjoying playing Final Fantasy 15 now
FF15 is good, except for this Snowmobile minigame in the Prompto DLC jesus christ these times are ridiculous.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I actually don't remember, does the final boss also talk in iambic pentameter (post-merger, for however few lines it gets) like Venat? I know that blew my mind when someone first pointed out that the other Occuria talk in tetrameter and Venat has an extra iamb per line so that they sound similar without you picking up on why.

I dont know what any of this means so i couldnt tell you.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I dont know what any of this means so i couldnt tell you.
Iambic pentameter is a sentence structure in poetry or verse that has five groups of "iambs"- unstressed syllables followed by stressed syllables.

Shakespeare used variations of this a lot.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Iambic pentameter is a sentence structure in poetry or verse that has five groups of "iambs"- unstressed syllables followed by stressed syllables.

Shakespeare used variations of this a lot.

Yeah i googled it, but thanks anyway.
Anyway if i remember correctly there isnt any dialog after the merger, besides "hhhnggg, ggrrrruggh, hhhoouuuchhie, grahhhhnggh"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

One of the best final boss themes in the series. The song title says it all - "Battle For Freedom." Because that has been what the game was all about since the start. Not just something as simplistic as the freedom of a country but more the freedom from our past trauma and the shackles it places on us.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

NikkolasKing posted:

One of the best final boss themes in the series. The song title says it all - "Battle For Freedom." Because that has been what the game was all about since the start. Not just something as simplistic as the freedom of a country but more the freedom from our past trauma and the shackles it places on us.

And Vayne thought he was battling for freedom too - freedom from the control of the gods. (Even though he was ironically working with one.) The song title works on multiple levels.

In FF12, Vayne and acid are definitely the bad guys and they're in the wrong, but I really appreciate how the Empire isn't cartoonishly evil like just about every other evil empire in the series. Not everyone in the Empire is bad and they have reasons for doing what they do beyond just twirling their mustaches.

It's a pretty sharp contrast having just played through Stormblood where the Imperials are just over the top evil. I remember hearing that a lot of players empathized with Gaius von Baelsar a bit so SE made sure to make the Garlean Empire just completely over the top bad so people would stop liking them lol

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

So I finally got the Tournesol. :toot: My younger self's dream has finally been fulfilled.

I went ahead and made the Mesa too since its ingredients are so easy to get.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ROFL Octopus posted:

So I finally got the Tournesol. :toot: My younger self's dream has finally been fulfilled.

I feel like all that stuff is easier this time around. Maybe it's the fast forward option or being familiar with the game or some combination of the two.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

ROFL Octopus posted:

I have all the ultimate weapons except the Tournesol. (And the trango tower and seitengrat if you count those.) I managed to actually steal a Wyrmhero blade in trial mode so I dunno if actually worth it to farm all the materials for a Tournesol because dang that's a hell of a grind.

I also now just have to beat Trial mode and complete the bestiary in FF12 and I'll have the platinum trophy. That said, these last few stages of trial mode are tough as nails. Last night I got stuck on Omega MK XII before I had to go to bed and I hear the judges are even tougher.

Also for the last trophy, that one is gonna be a chore because you need literally everything, including each and every rare game monster. I got all the clan hunts (except Yiazmat who I did in trial mode) and did all the rare game required to get the Zodiac spear but there is still a bunch left.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Yeah i googled it, but thanks anyway.
Anyway if i remember correctly there isnt any dialog after the merger, besides "hhhnggg, ggrrrruggh, hhhoouuuchhie, grahhhhnggh"
Boo. Would have been cute.

But yeah, that's why Venat talks funny - like, "For your ascendance, Vayne, we offer prayer" or whatever. Stresses on every other syllable.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Levantine posted:

I feel like all that stuff is easier this time around. Maybe it's the fast forward option or being familiar with the game or some combination of the two.

Yeah, fast forwarding + knowing which trophy rare game to steal from (plus knowing the bazaar glitch) makes things really easy. Tournesol still took longer than I care to admit though.

Honestly the hardest weapon to get looks like the Mina to me. Getting the Danjuro was a pain in the rear end in vanilla and it doesn't look like it's any easier now. I really want it though. :(

Gammatron 64 posted:

I have all the ultimate weapons except the Tournesol. (And the trango tower and seitengrat if you count those.) I managed to actually steal a Wyrmhero blade in trial mode so I dunno if actually worth it to farm all the materials for a Tournesol because dang that's a hell of a grind.

Yeah I wouldn't bother with it at this point. Like, the Tournesol is really cool and powerful, but it's definitely not the best weapon in the game, it's just a cool thing to have.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Harrow posted:

I've always wanted to go back and give SaGa Frontier 2 another shot. I never got too far into it when I first played it, probably because it was so different from SaGa Frontier, but I always liked its overall concept. A world where basically everyone can do magic and not being able to do it is a disability, and metal dampens magic, so nobody uses metal. And then one of the two plotlines is a prince born without the ability to use magic, so he's disowned and then figures, wait, I can't use magic anyway, so what if I own the poo poo out of everyone with a huge steel sword?

And now I'm thinking of the first SaGa Frontier and how great it is. I remember Asellus's story being my favorite, I think it was the first one I actually finished. And the next time I play Blue's story I'm going to intentionally lose to Rouge because Rouge is a cool dude who helps people and Blue is kind of a dumb prick.

SF2 has a great story, but it's so far up it's own rear end about being artistic for its own sake that there are genuinely times when you might have trouble making out what's supposed to be happening in a scene. The combat is fairly standard for a SaGa (which is to say, good) though the occasional SRPG segments are pretty barebones. Both Frontier titles could desperately use a remake, but I'm not gonna hold my breath; with how Scarlet Grace turned out, I'd imagine the series is about ready to be buried.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Gammatron 64 posted:

And Vayne thought he was battling for freedom too - freedom from the control of the gods. (Even though he was ironically working with one.) The song title works on multiple levels.

In FF12, Vayne and acid are definitely the bad guys and they're in the wrong, but I really appreciate how the Empire isn't cartoonishly evil like just about every other evil empire in the series. Not everyone in the Empire is bad and they have reasons for doing what they do beyond just twirling their mustaches.

It's a pretty sharp contrast having just played through Stormblood where the Imperials are just over the top evil. I remember hearing that a lot of players empathized with Gaius von Baelsar a bit so SE made sure to make the Garlean Empire just completely over the top bad so people would stop liking them lol
the best part is that the garleans still do considerably less evil poo poo than historic records of real-world imperial regimes

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

So in Zodiac Age do elemental bonuses stack?

My tentative strat for yiazmat for now is to have my red mage wield a zeus mace and wear a dark robe, while casting darkga.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Mega64 posted:

Hey, if you're going to rip off something's style, might as well pick something good.

Plus Legend of Mana already had a phone game.

e: Oh hey I even found screenshots.

Well, I mean most of the staff is from Brownie, so it's not like their artist is gonna change.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ROFL Octopus posted:

My tentative strat for yiazmat for now is to have my red mage wield a zeus mace and wear a dark robe, while casting darkga.

Yagyu Darkblade and chain attack boosting gear

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

the best part is that the garleans still do considerably less evil poo poo than historic records of real-world imperial regimes

That one lady who was just shooting villagers for fun and stomping on people's faces was pretty bad though

related to that - it's also hilarious that when you storm doma castle there is totally a DOOM reference

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Norns posted:

Why

This is an honest question.

Not to say I didn't play it nonstop to completiom but in hindsight the game is just filled with bland sidequests, too much driving and the battles tend to repeat themselves against same enemies

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

But enough about FF12

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

But enough about FF12

You monster

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

Nope sorry

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

fug

Barudak posted:

Yagyu Darkblade and chain attack boosting gear

Yeah this is what I'm going to end up doing. Kinda wish I went Shikari/Bushi (my Shikari's a Foebreaker) but I guess it won't matter too much.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

fug

Yeah this is what I'm going to end up doing. Kinda wish I went Shikari/Bushi (my Shikari's a Foebreaker) but I guess it won't matter too much.

You're probably better off as is, because you likely had a stronger Shikari the whole way through. Sure, less of a Yiazmat-murdering machine, but you still have the Genji Glove at least.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

You're probably better off as is, because you likely had a stronger Shikari the whole way through. Sure, less of a Yiazmat-murdering machine, but you still have the Genji Glove at least.

Yeah. I went with pretty much the bog standard setup (shikari/foebreaker, uhlan/time battlemage, etc) but it's working super well right now.

Hopefully that's enough for Yiazmat. (On my PS2 playthrough I did everything but Yiazmat and Omega so this'll be new)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It looks like the Humble Store has an FF sale all through the weekend, in case you were waiting for one. Maybe I'll finally get around to FFXIII-2 so I can say I did the whole big dumb trilogy.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I wish they would have a PC port of FFT because I don't want to have to hack my drat PSP to make the slowdown go away.

Also, that humble bundle doesn't help me much because I already drank the kool aid and paid full price for every game in the series.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Vargatron posted:

I wish they would have a PC port of FFT because I don't want to have to hack my drat PSP to make the slowdown go away.

Also, that humble bundle doesn't help me much because I already drank the kool aid and paid full price for every game in the series.

I'm really surprised they haven't put the iOS/Android port of FFT on Steam by now.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

It looks like the Humble Store has an FF sale all through the weekend, in case you were waiting for one. Maybe I'll finally get around to FFXIII-2 so I can say I did the whole big dumb trilogy.

Please let me know when you get to the best area in all of video games: Academia 400 AF.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Saint Freak posted:

Please let me know when you get to the best area in all of video games: Academia 400 AF.

You're giving me war flashbacks

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Yeah. I went with pretty much the bog standard setup (shikari/foebreaker, uhlan/time battlemage, etc) but it's working super well right now.

Hopefully that's enough for Yiazmat. (On my PS2 playthrough I did everything but Yiazmat and Omega so this'll be new)

Honestly, anything's enough for Yiazmat. Remember you could only have one job in IZJS, so you're already stronger than you'd have been in that version. Give your Shikari the Yagyu Darkblade and Genji Glove, berserk 'em, and let everyone else just handle staying alive and buffed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Saint Freak posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren:

etc