Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Did a quick proof of concept recolor on Mortarion. Matched the cowl to the other red cloth, and put a more muted green-grey wash on the wing arms, with a green filter on the wings and fringes. Also cheated a bit by darkening the background. Not sure I would go with a red cowl but it stands out much better from his wings this way. I like him more this way, though he is still a bit busy for my taste.

compared with the original

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, that model's still incredibly busy, but in the recolor I can at least tell where his head is at a glance.

That's gotta be just a terrible pic. Once we see a couple painted up by more restrained painters, I'm sure it'll look fine.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

People get mad when we complain about chaos balance but people post like this and everybody's cool with it?

Funny thread.

No dude details are just cool and can make it easier to paint sick looking dudes. If you're not going to have much detail its also harder to justify GW's prices. Lots of people like it so its not nearly as simple as "garbage overdesigned aesthetic"; but sure just dismiss everybody who doesn't share your opinion.

You really are an abominably bad poster omg

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Zaphod42 posted:

People get mad when we complain about chaos balance but people post like this and everybody's cool with it?

Funny thread.

No dude details are just cool and can make it easier to paint sick looking dudes. If you're not going to have much detail its also harder to justify GW's prices. Lots of people like it so its not nearly as simple as "garbage overdesigned aesthetic"; but sure just dismiss everybody who doesn't share your opinion.

Yeah I mean that's a lot of words just to say " I can't handle when people don't like the things I like". GW did an amazing job with the genestealer cult models that I love especially the trucks Etc. You can't look at that mortarion model and say it wouldn't be better and easier for all hobbyists including brand new ones who they want to target and say yeah that over designed level of detail is cool and good.

And anyway you didn't even address the point. Maybe this is already known but I feel like a lot of these dudes standing on Scrolls or fire or whatever with all the weird cuts and the sprue for how they fit together are designed to combat recasting.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
can i like things yet

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Star Man posted:

can i like things yet

You can only hate things or 'ironically' like things now. No genuinely liking things allowed.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

muggins posted:

Yeah I mean that's a lot of words just to say " I can't handle when people don't like the things I like". GW did an amazing job with the genestealer cult models that I love especially the trucks Etc. You can't look at that mortarion model and say it wouldn't be better and easier for all hobbyists including brand new ones who they want to target and say yeah that over designed level of detail is cool and good.

And anyway you didn't even address the point. Maybe this is already known but I feel like a lot of these dudes standing on Scrolls or fire or whatever with all the weird cuts and the sprue for how they fit together are designed to combat recasting.

Most of the models look better with less BS on them anyway. Clean lines make for striking models, and make the piles of junk like Ork mechs stand out more on the table.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
What makes the Primaris models look good is the shockingly clean silhouettes. It used to be a hallmark of Marines and it is wonderful to go back to it.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Ayn Marx posted:

You really are an abominably bad poster omg

There's 39,000 others just like it

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

As a long-term fart-huffing fan of the DG, I really want to see NuMorty in more Death Guard Legion-y colors before I pass judgment, but I'm kinda so-so on the model from that image. We'll see.

Purple is not a color that looks good on DG IMO.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

muggins posted:

It's an interesting take. I'm kind of loathe to ascribe the busier aesthetic to simply an attempt to fight recasters, particularly after the really clean, simple Primaris marine models and the recent genestealer cult and deathwatch releases, which I also felt were excellent. Instead I think it's just more of an aesthetic decision they've made for 1. Chaos models, especially 1b. Nurgle stuff, and 2. Their large monstrous creatures. If you just had one, you'd get something like the Yncarne or Celestine, which are excellent models that have lots of details, but don't feel bogged down with clutter and work well with their floating base effects. Or you'd get something like the recent Thousand Sons releases, which are detailed but not overworked (although Magnus was also pretty clean). You combine 1 and 2 though, and throw in that Nurgle aspect, where the company's aesthetic is "cover every inch of that poo poo in pus and boils and lots of rot details" and you've got a model that's a bit too busy. Then, paint it in a muddy paint scheme and take a lovely photo of it.

Plus, if they were really invested in combatting recasters through model clutter, I'd expect to see it more on Forgeworld models, where you have high-cost items that incorporate just big slabs of resin that are super-easy to recast.

E: Also errata is out for CODEX: Space Marines now
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/10/codex-space-marines-errata-now-available/

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 10, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Lol did they really forget about Ironclad launchers twice

Also combi-gravs are back just in time for no one to ever use them.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

TTerrible posted:

There is heavily detailing something and there is detailing it to the point that its hard to work out what is going on. I know that the leaked Mortarion image isn't exactly high quality but it took me more more than a few seconds to work out where his goddamn head is and that is not good.

New GW Sculpting checklist:

• Small flowing element in freeze frame (flame, liquid)
  • Multiple wind directions effecting different implementations of the above are optional but heavily encouraged. More an AOS thing.
  • The larger / more senior in game a model is the more likely it has to be held aloft by scrolls, chains, swirls of magic
  • 90% of the surface of the model has to be covered in detail. Any detail. GW sculptors are paid by surface area.
  • Focal points of the model must be obscured by the above

Just because the same complaint is made multiple times doesn't mean it is invalid, it means the same thing keeps happening. :ssh:

JFC I can't unsee the smoke and cloth flailing/trailing in opposite directions now :psyduck:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Plus, if they were really invested in combatting recasters through model clutter, I'd expect to see it more on Forgeworld models, where you have high-cost items that incorporate just big slabs of resin that are super-easy to recast.
Um, no, this makes no sense at all. The point is that injection-molded plastic allows you to create much finer detail (and much spindlier pieces) than poured resin even if you use some kind of spin-casting. Both ForgeWorld and the recasters are operating in the same medium - resin - so I would not expect to see things that make resin casting harder in ForgeWorld models because that would also make ForgeWorld's own job harder and/or their products worse. And if you think that ForgeWorld's resin material or casting process (or loving quality control) is somehow higher quality than what some of the better recasters do, you are flat wrong.

There are two key features that are harder to replicate (well) in resin than in plastic: 1) spindly stuff and 2) fine surface texture. The first is because plastic is much less brittle than resin, and the second is because detailed/rough internal mold surfaces provide attachment points for small bubbles during the resin pouring process, resulting in the obnoxious pitting that we all came to know and loathe during the FineCast era. On the whole, GW's aesthetic has gone towards spindlier, more detailed stuff (with biglys being a notable exception), especially for their big, super-expensive centerpiece models - you know, the ones where resorting to recasters will save you the most money. I do not view this trend as a coincidence.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

JFC I can't unsee the smoke and cloth flailing/trailing in opposite directions now :psyduck:

I think it's a line of motion thing. There's an S curve going from the top of the model to the bottom, showing a ponderous descent. I'd have to see the model in person though to see if that's really the case.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Ilor posted:

Um, no, this makes no sense at all. The point is that injection-molded plastic allows you to create much finer detail (and much spindlier pieces) than poured resin even if you use some kind of spin-casting. Both ForgeWorld and the recasters are operating in the same medium - resin - so I would not expect to see things that make resin casting harder in ForgeWorld models because that would also make ForgeWorld's own job harder and/or their products worse. And if you think that ForgeWorld's resin material or casting process (or loving quality control) is somehow higher quality than what some of the better recasters do, you are flat wrong.

There are two key features that are harder to replicate (well) in resin than in plastic: 1) spindly stuff and 2) fine surface texture. The first is because plastic is much less brittle than resin, and the second is because detailed/rough internal mold surfaces provide attachment points for small bubbles during the resin pouring process, resulting in the obnoxious pitting that we all came to know and loathe during the FineCast era. On the whole, GW's aesthetic has gone towards spindlier, more detailed stuff (with biglys being a notable exception), especially for their big, super-expensive centerpiece models - you know, the ones where resorting to recasters will save you the most money. I do not view this trend as a coincidence.

I don't think FW necessarily produces higher-quality product than its recasters (save some issues with slippage that I think are more common with recasters, but offset by issues with release agent), and I never implied as much. I understand the difficulties around spindly bits in plastic vs. resin, but that hasn't stopped Forgeworld from trying on its smaller, non-vehicle models, to varied effect. Just because it's harder to do in resin doesn't mean the payoff would be less, or not worth it. My point wasn't "this is easier to do in resin," but rather "this seems like it'd have a better payoff if they did it for their most expensive, most easily-recast items"

Magnus 40k was released less than a year ago and in the post-AOS aesthetic world, and his model is relatively clean--cleaner and easier to read than his 30k Forgeworld counterpart. While I won't deny that we're seeing more detailed models with spindlier stuff to come out of the studio, I'm just as likely to believe that's a consequence of being able to do that with modern technology as a concerted decision to deter recasters. It's not like there aren't plenty of benefits--the effect works very well on the new Celestine model and common model elements like swords are visually much better than the old, comparatively wide and club-like weapons they used to be when they had to be cast out of metal. There's a rush to decry Mortarion here as another instance of a common trend but when you look at other recent 40k releases like the GSC, Thousand Sons, and Primaris, I don't see those same trends repeated often enough to say "yes hm this is a clear pattern of troubling behavior."

AoS/Fantasy is a different story, though.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Tactical Squads get Melta Bombs again. What do those go for now?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
So going on recent history, after that picture leak I expect GW will be posting up the full Morty reveal video some time today?

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

SteelMentor posted:

You can only hate things or 'ironically' like things now. No genuinely liking things allowed.

Can't I just like the dumb game I play and the dumb spacemen I build but still admit when the models are awful or the rules are stupid?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

xtothez posted:

So going on recent history, after that picture leak I expect GW will be posting up the full Morty reveal video some time today?

Haha, posted under 10mins after me: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/10/the-death-lord-comes-aug-10gw-homepage-post-4/

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Alright, gently caress everything, the Mortarion model is cool and good. My judgment is final, all opposing viewpoints are to be treated as internet whitenoise posting and ignored.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
It looks a thousand times better in that video than the leaked pic, that's for sure.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the model looks infinitely better in the video than it did in the leak. I actually liked what I saw.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Morty is cool and good. GW on Facebook released a video of him. Here's a screen grab. This paint scheme rules, he rules, fight me.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
That pic is definitely better, but his sihouette's still kinda hosed up. I kept looking at it thinking his face was shadowed by a cowl, only to realize (belatedly) that no, that "cowl" is actually just the shadow cast by the crap sticking out of his gas mask, and his face is actually above[u] that. The thing is, with his pose, a slightly more hunched demeanor [u]would put his face in that lower, darker spot and would probably look more interesting and dynamic to boot.

That said, I think his wings are bad-rear end. I love how they tie him in thematically with those crazy fly-lookin' demon things.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Zuul the Cat posted:

Morty is cool and good. GW on Facebook released a video of him. Here's a screen grab. This paint scheme rules, he rules, fight me.

Venomoth.jpg

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
OK, that's like a hundred times better. Model owns and I can't wait to buy one and leave it sitting in my closet unpainted for a year.

gently caress, I gotta paint this Magnus

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Also in the video: Typhus (?), a new character (the tallyman), and a terminator in the background.

Actually, looking again, the background terminator has the same backpack hive thing as the talking character, so that might be a generic nurgle terminator rather than Typhus.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Dude's...really nice actually, death guard are one of the factions where a detailgasm fits the aesthetic. The leaks made it look like he was just a floating christmas bauble-looking fatass like the celestant thing from AoS but he's got an actual pose and some attitude. The weird halo thing on his neck/back is still terrible and kills the silhouette though.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Saint Drogo posted:

The weird halo thing on his neck/back is still terrible and kills the silhouette though.

Yeah that's the one part I might cut off when I start working on the model

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Is Deathguard Accountant with Abacus guy a real model?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

dexefiend posted:

Yes.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

If Death Guard is in September like the video says, I wonder what's filling up the rest of August.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
GW really needs to fire their photographer. That's the third or fourth time a new model has looked like rear end when they first revealed it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

GW really needs to fire their photographer. That's the third or fourth time a new model has looked like rear end when they first revealed it.

Is that their reveal though? I was under the impression that was a leaked photo of the next white dwarf or something

e: They should fire their photographer either way, though

dexefiend posted:

Yeah. "The Tallyman of Nurgle" is a thing they've referenced before. There's already a unit by that name, iirc, or who goes by that sometimes. Interested to see what his rules will be.

I also suspect we may see a new Typhus, since he disappeared from the store and we got a new Ahriman when Magnus came out.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Epidemius is the Daemonic tallyman of Nurgle. I guess there's a CSM one now and he is Extremely My poo poo.

gently caress I just started AdMech and I still have to get like 3 other armies up to 8th ed spec, I don't need Death Guard becoming a thing as well.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

So just curious. I was looking to put together a Primaris force around 50 PL / 1k points to tool around for some small games while I wait for the Ork codex. Does this look completely unfun to anyone? It's doable out of the DI set and the box of Reivers I have on my paint table already, so all I'd have to scrounge up is five more bodies for the Intercessors.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [50 PL, 996pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Salamanders

+ HQ +

Captain in Gravis Armor [7 PL, 137pts]: Boltstorm gauntlet, Master-crafted power sword

Primaris Lieutenants [10 PL, 148pts]
. Primaris Lieutenant: Master-crafted auto bolt rifle
. Primaris Lieutenant: Power sword

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +

Reiver Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Combat knife, Grav Chutes, 4x Reiver, Reiver Sergeant

Reiver Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Combat knife, Grav Chutes, 4x Reiver, Reiver Sergeant

+ Heavy Support +

Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 211pts]: Heavy Plasma Incinerator
. 4x Hellblaster
. Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

++ Total: [50 PL, 996pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's been going on for years by this point. It's reached a stage where I almost always discount the first picture I see because I know it'll be a bollocks.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeah, I remember the first pics of the new Kairos Fateweaver, where I was like, "WTF am I actually looking at here?" But when they released the 360-degree images, I definitely came around to, "Oh, this mini is actually pretty fuckin' sweet!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

Is that their reveal though? I was under the impression that was a leaked photo of the next white dwarf or something

Every leaked picture is a grainy, low-res piece of poo poo. It's 2017. They gotta be doing it themselves to build hype.