Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
americas laziest troll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

autism is a spectrum and fishmech is not high functioning, cut him some slack :fishmech:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I didn't say I liked low resolution displays. I said I know a lot of olds that run windows in a lower resolution because too high of a resolution hurts their eyes

lmfao

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"looking at a low resolution display looks better tahn a high resolution, scaled display" - uncle at nintendo

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
btw the olds who want 1366x768 displays are mostly those who refuse to either wear glasses at all or wear glasses but have refused to update the prescription in 20 years so they're basically useless

this is also why they crash their cars so much

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

"looking at a low resolution display looks better tahn a high resolution, scaled display" - uncle at nintendo

I take it you've never seen how Windows handles higher dpi then lol

the only instance where I like low resolution displays is for 8/16 bit vidja

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Endless Mike posted:

as a computer janitor i can confirm there are literally olds who need their 24" widescreen monitors set to 800x600 and will get very upset at your boss if you change it to something else

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol that youre a literal desktop janitor

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Endless Mike only works with hip tweens and has literally never seen this anomaly before somehow

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I take it you've never seen how Windows handles higher dpi then lol

the only instance where I like low resolution displays is for 8/16 bit vidja

it handles it fine, but those people are literally approaching blindness and only unnecessarily large text will work for them. and they're too stupid to use the built in functions to do extra scaling. they are also too blind to actually see if the scaling is "bad" or anything

hth

pram
Jun 10, 2001
do you guys have your MCSE hung on your cubicle wall

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

it handles it fine, but those people are literally approaching blindness and only unnecessarily large text will work for them. and they're too stupid to use the built in functions to do extra scaling. they are also too blind to actually see if the scaling is "bad" or anything

hth

the olds that I see do it usually do it because it makes everything bigger, not just text. I admit it's stupid and looks like poo poo but it was really common in the crt days for everyone to have a completely different resolution than everyone else, mostly because no matter what you picked it still looked good

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Endless Mike only works with hip tweens and has literally never seen this anomaly before somehow

i don't touch at other people's computers because i'm not a cj

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
neither am I. but would you believe I've actually used other people's computers on more than one occasion,? shocking I know

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

everyone who does front end stuff should spend time watching how differently abled people use computers, you'll learn a lot [and maybe gain a tiny amount of empathy]

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pram posted:

lol that youre a literal desktop janitor
these days i'm more a server janitor but i had to fix the finance lady's excel earlier today

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

I work alongside a ton of devs in Seattle and I've never seen that there

The only time I've seen this is when I go to visit my dad in Idaho but then again he's in his 70's and diabetic so the ol' eyesight isn't that great anymore

idk if its treatable since he has a tendency to ignore advice from his doctors

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
yeah these are all in laws and friend's parents and stuff.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

qirex posted:

everyone who does front end stuff should spend time watching how differently abled people use computers, you'll learn a lot [and maybe gain a tiny amount of empathy]

de-emphasise empathy

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

qirex posted:

differently abled

no

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/yashalevine/status/895460546136363008

just read the whole twitter thread, it's full of examples

https://www.perspectiveapi.com

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
there is already a twitter bot that is about as accurate
https://twitter.com/NoraReed/status/895522408567758848

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

aw man english and compound words

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’m running my elitebook at 1366x768 because I’m currently stuck on windows 7 and it doesn’t handle multiple screens with different dot pitch very well

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

as far as google complaints go this is a minor one but work recently updated chrome and....

what moron thought that this was a good and needed ui animation?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

idk man as long as it’s not introducing a delay, eye candy is nice & makes changes more noticeable

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

as far as google complaints go this is a minor one but work recently updated chrome and....

that ripple thing has been in googles "material design" arsenal for ages

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

also huh when did Microsoft stop animating minimizing windows? I thought that poo poo was in 98

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

counterpoint

the ui in chrome is good and the animations are nice

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Last Chance posted:

that ripple thing has been in googles "material design" arsenal for ages

material design looks awful and out of place on every desktop OS and in iOS apps and google needs to knock it off.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

counterpoint: reel to reel tapes are cool

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I refuse to use anything else but windows but windows 10 is so loving bad

actually it's good

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Wheany posted:

there is already a twitter bot that is about as accurate
https://twitter.com/NoraReed/status/895522408567758848

this is so bad, how did they think it was a good idea to show it off to the public yet? it literally embodies everything thats wrong with machine learning

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i really really don't think there is a "yet" about this development. until we have the asimov-style benevolent computer overlord running every aspect of the world it will remain an entirely human affair what is offensive and inappropriate, the act of encoding an understanding of what it is in an artifact that act will change what it actually is

even with strong ai there would need to be some background rigid conception of what the goal is which will never truly work out

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Silver Alicorn posted:

idk man as long as it’s not introducing a delay, eye candy is nice & makes changes more noticeable

I figured out what was pissing me off about it.

previously the animation (to a pressed button) triggered when you release the mouse button and that's when the action (open page/folder) actually occurred. now the animation triggers when you first click the mouse button but the action still only happens when you release the button.

so the ui is indicating that the button is pressed but it isn't actually acted on until you release the button. I am used to them syncing up, so the new way makes it feel slower.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 10, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
people assigning some sort of reasoning to it ("pro-oligarchy bias") when what's actually happening is much, much dumber https://twitter.com/eugen_levine/status/895466944299773952

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Simple statements work well,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

:yeah:

• Locked thread