Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Vengevine spikes to 20 bucks every year without fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

EatinCake posted:

If someone wants to spend $80 on that, god bless em'. I feel like there are significantly cheaper ways to achieve likewise effects, so if someone wants to make these cards valuable by all means go ahead. Only helps the game keep pumping out.

I play Portal in one deck: Colorless Eldrazi tribal. And really, it's just a worse Urza's Incubator.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sickening posted:

Commander spoilers might be the most boring time all year.

That sounds like a personal problem tbh

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

The Shortest Path posted:

That sounds like a personal problem tbh

No, he's right.

Commander is dumb and bad

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sure, but the spoilers are neat.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

the gently caress's a tenga cup

Like a tiny Fleshlight you throw in the garbage after you're done with it.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/hotcblog/status/895648048587706369

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sickening posted:

Commander spoilers might be the most boring time all year.

Correct answer is the Modern/whatever Master's sets because they're all old cards.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lone Goat posted:

Correct answer is the Modern/whatever Master's sets because they're all old cards.

the last days when you find out what's not being reprinted is kinda interesting though

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/chazvmtg/status/895654317658480640

https://twitter.com/alexckszeto/status/895654411892137984

Mairsil seems really interesting

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Holy poo poo Mairsil the Pretender, now there's a blast from the past of a character

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

That's a cool way to have a commander get stronger when you recast it. Also, can we please retire the construction "Meet [card name]?"

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

This looks like so much fun to play.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Does Mairsil work with abilities with a tap or sacrifice cost, eg Jester's Cap? I'm guessing if it was just tap it would work since it doesn't specify the card name, but the sac wouldn't since you don't have a Jester's Cap to sac?

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 10, 2017

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I haven't had fun playing modern until I stumbled on the GW(touch of blue for Reflector Mage) Humans.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Are there any awesome upside activated abilities that are constrained by continuous effect downsides?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

That's a cool way to have a commander get stronger when you recast it. Also, can we please retire the construction "Meet [card name]?"

Not until there's a Legendary named Virginia and they get the guy from Train to preview it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Does Mairsil work with abilities with a tap or sacrifice cost, eg Jester's Cap? I'm guessing if it was just tap it would work since it doesn't specify the card name, but the sac wouldn't since you don't have a Jester's Cap to sac?

Self-referential card names like that are just a standin for ~this card~ I think

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Wafflecopper posted:

According to what I could find regarding cards like Havengul Lich (which has a similar clause), when a card's abilities that refer to itself by name it's the same as saying "this card." So, in your scenario with Jester's Cap, Mairsil would gain the ability and it would change from reading "sacrifice Jester's Cap" to "sacrifice Mairsil." Those other people could be wrong, but there was no judge rulings on the gatherer page regarding this. I'm sure there's a specific rule in the comp. rules, though.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Wafflecopper posted:

Any time a card has its own name in its rules text, it actually means "this card" and doesn't care what the card is actually named. Rules text that cares about the name of a card will refer to "a card named [x]" instead.

Devor posted:

Are there any awesome upside activated abilities that are constrained by continuous effect downsides?

The classic way to exploit this kind of effect is Phyrexian Devourer + a way to turn all those counters into damage.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Devor posted:

Time Vault, clearly

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mairsil seems really fun with flicker effects and dumping cards into the grave.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheKingofSprings posted:

Mairsil seems really fun with flicker effects and dumping cards into the grave.

Aetherling seems like a good first target.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Devor posted:

Dralnu seems pretty good with it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Yo it's Nick, the Cage Mage.

Is there a creature from shadowmoor with a single color untap ability?
I want to make Wake Thrasher a big boy with Mairsil

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Yo it's Nick, the Cage Mage.

Is there a creature from shadowmoor with a single color untap ability?
I want to make Wake Thrasher a big boy with Mairsil

Read the last sentence of the card text.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

80s James Hetfield posted:

I haven't had fun playing modern until I stumbled on the GW(touch of blue for Reflector Mage) Humans.

Its a solid deck for sure. Decks like this are also a solid reason for getting a cavern of souls reprint or a new one without the uncountable clause. Pet tribal decks in modern should get more land/spell support.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Bonus posted:

Read the last sentence of the card text.

Just exile a Ventifact Bottle, a Horseshoe Crab, and a Magistrate's Scepter.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Can't play Ith, High Arcanist in a Mairsil deck, gently caress these dumbasses in R&D who betrayed the lore.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Final legendary

https://twitter.com/elainechase/status/895676450027601922

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So one deck doesn't get a fully swath of new legends, while the dragon deck gets 3+2?

Actually I guess foil Marchesa is nice.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Sickening posted:

Its a solid deck for sure. Decks like this are also a solid reason for getting a cavern of souls reprint or a new one without the uncountable clause. Pet tribal decks in modern should get more land/spell support.

Isn't Ancient Ziggurat the neutered Cavern of Souls? Only big downside is that it's useless for casting Coco.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Every previous Commander product had 20 new legendary creatures, It'd be weird as heck for them to go down to 15 split up so weirdly.

There should be another legendary creature in the cat deck and two more each from vamps and wizards, that aren't all of the decks' colors.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Shadow225 posted:

Isn't Ancient Ziggurat the neutered Cavern of Souls? Only big downside is that it's useless for casting Coco.

Cavern of Souls came after Ziggurat

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

So one deck doesn't get a fully swath of new legends, while the dragon deck gets 3+2?

Actually I guess foil Marchesa is nice.

There are a lot of people on twitter saying it isn't foil so I guess there should be a new legendary that hasn't been revealed so far.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Can't play Ith, High Arcanist in a Mairsil deck, gently caress these dumbasses in R&D who betrayed the lore.

But Mairsil and Ith weren't allies anyway

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Both of these cards are really neat. The combo potential for Mairsil is huge (lol timevault) and the vamp is just a cool effect, even if it won't end up being that good.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Mairsil is like a hamstrung Necrotic Ooze but it can also hit artifacts. There will probably be something busted you can do with him, but it makes me a little sad when WotC puts those kind of restrictions on cards these days. At least they moved away from the verbose and restrictive "When X enters the battlefield, if you cast X from your hand..." jargon.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

It's really fun but not worth spending 650 dollars to play it in paper. I still have a hard time figuring out the best way to play it. I mean it's basically 4 Path of Exile, 4 Companies and then the rest are creatures.

I'm not sure if the best play is to Drop a turn 1 Noble so I can have a turn 3 Thalia or just drop Champion of the Parish and then spend turns 2 and 3 getting him to a 4/4 or better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Shadow225 posted:

Well, that is a pretty huge downside.