Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
Getting performance tomorrow to get home might be fun - 42C forecast and when we checked the numbers on the way in we might just reach Shannon.... Hmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Kazak_Hstan posted:

West of Lake Clark Pass in southwest Alaska. Guy was hauling a load of freight from Anchorage to a remote site. Weather was low and gray with fog. Looked like he was trying to pick his way through mountains instead of flying out to the foothills and around. Really should have just not flown that morning, most everyone else canceled. Wreck looked like it fell straight down with some yaw rotation. Not sure if he got disoriented in fog and entered a spin he couldn't recover from, saw rising terrain and stalled trying to climb, or what. There wasn't much of a skid mark, debris field was condensed, only one impact mark on a tree trunk, etc. More or less inconsistent with forward velocity above C-206 stall speed. Then again, I'm not the NTSB so that could all be bullshit. It was a pretty tight valley, so he probably didn't have room to 180 once he knew he was somewhere he didn't want to be.

Remains were mostly upper torso and head as far as obviously human shapes go, as well as incomplete skeletal remains of extremities. Cargo was gasoline and lumber, so along with probably half capacity 100LL it was a hell of a fire. We got there on the ground around nine hours after it happened and it was still smoldering. I wasn't in the plane that spotted it on the initial search, but the people who were said the smell was just intensely awful overflying the site.

All in all just a sad deal. Glad it was cargo and not passengers, for whatever that's worth.

How does this rank on the level of insane stuff you have seen in your work? Could we maybe get an Ask/Tell thread out of you or a (ugh) Reddit AMA?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Really should have just not flown that morning, most everyone else canceled.

I hate it but getting paid is a big influence to some people, especially if you're paid low enough to begin with.

Regardless, that's really awful.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Michael Scott posted:

How does this rank on the level of insane stuff you have seen in your work? Could we maybe get an Ask/Tell thread out of you or a (ugh) Reddit AMA?

Ranks pretty high. The smell is just otherworldly bad. Coin toss between it and multiweek decomps in the water.

We've had worse aviation wrecks, multiple co-workers in one, multiple local children in another, but we never found bodies in those, just floating debris.

Probably won't do an A/T because I don't want to doxx myself in one spot. Pretty small community out here. Happy to talk Bush flying, though I'm not a pilot, more of a professional passenger. Ive had the opportunity to do some really neat flying.

Rolo posted:

I hate it but getting paid is a big influence to some people, especially if you're paid low enough to begin with.

Regardless, that's really awful.

It's really bad out here. There is a ton of part 135 single engine tourist flying for bear viewing, flight seeing, backcountry travel, etc. They fly in atrocious weather on the regular, like 206s materializing out of the ether 100 yards in front of me on a beach bad. Nobody's really equipped to overrule a pilot's go / no-go decision if they're not themselves a pilot with similar experience, but man random tourists from wherever in vacation mode just get on and go without a second thought. I talk to people after a 40-50 mile flight over open 45 degree water who are like "the flight was amazing we were right down over the water the whole way!" with zero awareness of what happens if the engine quits in that situation.

I don't mean to imply they're all reckless; there are some superb pilots in it, people with thousands of bush hours, thousands of off airport landings, etc. And I sympathize with the money pressure, prop has to spin to get paid and all. I have a lot of luxury in being able to say no to flying if I need to, and in flying with pilots who get paid regardless of whether they fly that day. But regardless of the incentive structure, there are still a bunch of cowboys exposing oblivious people to pretty substantial risk.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Never not post bush pilot stories.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.flightradar24.com/BOE004/e54ad6b

:lol:

zoom out

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That's kick rear end!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Air Canada A320 at SFO indicated an altitude of 85 feet when they decided to go around, sinking to 59 feet while the plane responded to the application of full throttle.

e- Pic didn't want to load. Go here to see the landing lights from an A320 reflect off the top of the fuselage of a United 787:

http://www.businessinsider.com/air-...r-the-taxiway-3

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 4, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Is it my imagination or do those taxiways look like they're as wide as the runway? Is that normal at large airports? Holy gently caress I have so much to learn before I actually get a job... :smith:

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

PT6A posted:

Is it my imagination or do those taxiways look like they're as wide as the runway? Is that normal at large airports? Holy gently caress I have so much to learn before I actually get a job... :smith:

I don't really know the history of SFO so I don't know if this is the case, but there are many times that old runways are converted to taxiways during airport remodels

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Stupid Post Maker posted:

I don't really know the history of SFO so I don't know if this is the case, but there are many times that old runways are converted to taxiways during airport remodels

The original 28L/10R at CMH is this way now. When they moved the runway south to allow simultaneous approaches, the old runway became a taxiway.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Stupid Post Maker posted:

While true this doesn't excuse the fact that they somehow managed to line up on a taxiway instead of a runway AT NIGHT and failed to realize their error until they were told to go around.

Lining up to land on a taxiway during daylight hours (especially if there were no airplanes on said taxiway) would at least be a little more forgivable, but night time? I mean how?

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Not at all. I still don't see how two people could fail to recognize other airplanes taxiing, green centerline lights, and other cues. But at the same time I've been part of crews where things happen that make you scratch your head wondering why you did or didn't do something, luckily it wasn't anything too bad or anything that ATC would find out about, or FOQUA would report, or worse

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I posted a bit about how this sort of accident can happen but it must have been in the AI thread. Delta actually landed on a taxiway at Atlanta and the NTSB and FAA investigated it and found that certain lighting conditions were conducive to mistaking the taxiway for a runway.

Obviously takes a lot of contributing factors.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Ferret King posted:

I posted a bit about how this sort of accident can happen but it must have been in the AI thread. Delta actually landed on a taxiway at Atlanta and the NTSB and FAA investigated it and found that certain lighting conditions were conducive to mistaking the taxiway for a runway.

Obviously takes a lot of contributing factors.

Interesting, seems like such an impossible thing.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Dat Trump golf TFR. "Get hosed GA." -sincerely, The Donald.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

Interesting, seems like such an impossible thing.

The taxiway the Delta landed on had lights at maximum brightness while the runway was at minimum. It was the middle of the night (delayed?) so there were no planes on the ground. The flight was from Europe and the relief pilot became ill so the crew was very tired. (Surprised they didn't have to divert? But I don't know how crewing those flights work)

That incident at least makes some sense given all that.

edit: there was a faa ppt I can't find that had pictures of the lighting conditions
Avherald has the ntsb report at least http://avherald.com/h?article=42187f22

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 4, 2017

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

i am kiss u now posted:

All presidential TFRs are a giant middle finger to GA. Ask Hawaiian GA businesses what it was like when Obama was visiting home.

Presidential TFRs shouldn't loving exist. He's not that important.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

i am kiss u now posted:

If they worked hard they'd be presidents too, and have their own TFR's. Lazy.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

PT6A posted:

At large airports I feel like its easier to spot taxi-ways because they aren't nearly as wide as the runway. Small, WW2 style A-frame airports? Easy to spot the taxiway because of the geometry of the runways.

The most difficult is single runway airports with skinny runways. The taxiway and runway will end up being the same width and it takes a careful eye to spot the piano keys, numbers, or touch down zone bars to differentiate. That becomes infinitely more difficult at night-- especially at unlit fields or at lit fields on night vision goggles. I've lined up on a taxiway a few times and the airports always had the same characteristics-- single runway airfields with a parallel taxiway. The most notorious, I think, is the 29 Palms military field. I know multiple guys that have lined up on it wrong because of degraded paint on the runway itself.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

e.pilot posted:

While true this doesn't excuse the fact that they somehow managed to line up on a taxiway instead of a runway AT NIGHT and failed to realize their error until they were told to go around.

Lining up to land on a taxiway during daylight hours (especially if there were no airplanes on said taxiway) would at least be a little more forgivable, but night time? I mean how?

Dude we're all just human and we're super prone to loving up. I back up every approach for this reason even visuals but yeah it's only a matter of time for any of us before a potentially career ending mistake. It's really easy to monday morning quarterback everything but I have done some retarded poo poo in airplanes and it's not a question of if, it's a question of when for basically anybody who flies.
Instead of judgement, more important to learn about the scenarios and I'm sure there will be a recreation video done by the FAA/NTSB at some point. Also, I guess it's standard in the airbus to turn the FD off on a visual or else the autothrust and everything else starts freaking the gently caress out, which is too bad because in the E175 we can back everything up still.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

The Slaughter posted:

Also, I guess it's standard in the airbus to turn the FD off on a visual or else the autothrust and everything else starts freaking the gently caress out, which is too bad because in the E175 we can back everything up still.

Ah, that's a real shame. I don't hate on Airbus just for the sake of hating, but that seems like a really poor design choice.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

The Ferret King posted:

Ah, that's a real shame. I don't hate on Airbus just for the sake of hating, but that seems like a really poor design choice.

The Airbus flight control and automation system is really good right up until it encounters a situation the automation can't handle. Then it becomes a disaster waiting to happen. The human factors part of the design is basically non existent which has lead to multiple crashes that could have been easily prevented.

I'm in 175 ground school right now and embraer seems to have designed a much more pilot friendly but still highly automated system.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

KodiakRS posted:

The Airbus flight control and automation system is really good right up until it encounters a situation the automation can't handle. Then it becomes a disaster waiting to happen. The human factors part of the design is basically non existent which has lead to multiple crashes that could have been easily prevented.

I'm in 175 ground school right now and embraer seems to have designed a much more pilot friendly but still highly automated system.

Got my first day of indoc tomorrow but we were able to fly the E170 sim for the ATP-CTP course. What a dream to fly.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

MrYenko posted:

All presidential TFRs are a giant middle finger to GA. Ask Hawaiian GA businesses what it was like when Obama was visiting home.

To be fair it's a 10mi TFR with a 30mi control zone where you need to talk to ATC. But gently caress Presidential TFRs especially with President Golf in the White House.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Well, the control zone still requires a flight plan and is only for itinerant operations.

So, no training, no tours, no sight seeing. If it's a leisure flight you had better be coming from or going somewhere else. Gotta have a working radio. Gotta have a working transponder. Also there's the possibility that you'll gently caress something up and get shot down. They're not pilot-friendly at all.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

MrYenko posted:

Training in Southwest Ohio was fun during the 2012 election.

"Oh, you want to do an XC to Columbus today? Too bad, Mittens is in town!"

"Obama's in Cincinnati. It'd sure be nice if our airport was 3-4 miles North of where it actually is..."

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
How many of you airline pilots have hooked up with a flight attendant?

Slaughter - don't answer nobody wants to know.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Captain Apollo posted:

....I want to know

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Captain Apollo posted:

You're not the boss of us

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Captain Apollo posted:

How many of you airline pilots have hooked up with a flight attendant?

Does it count if she was still in training at the time?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Can the collective refrain from quoting Apollo? I'd like to not see his blatant, unfunny homophobia and gay shaming.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Once, but she didn't work for my airline. We dated for a while but it turns out making a relationship work between two people who are never home is kinda hard.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
TIL I learned that I am homophobic towards Slaughter one of my IRL friends

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

sellouts posted:

Can the collective refrain from quoting Apollo? I'd like to not see his blatant, unfunny homophobia and gay shaming.

No.

Captain Apollo posted:

TIL I learned that I am homophobic towards Slaughter one of my IRL friends

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
0 because I started dating a girl right before I started. But it isn't very hard, especially at a regional

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Okay real question.

My google fu is coming up empty here.

Can anybody help me find out how many students train and get their certificates from Part 61 vs 141? I can't seem to find any numbers on this and I am interested for an article I'm writing.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

A few.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

Okay real question.

My google fu is coming up empty here.

Can anybody help me find out how many students train and get their certificates from Part 61 vs 141? I can't seem to find any numbers on this and I am interested for an article I'm writing.

Huh, so upon looking up what that means, that's a really significant difference between the US and Canada. We have no Part 61 equivalent as far as I'm aware (I may be wrong), and you'd need to be a very experienced instructor (Class 1 in Canadian parlance) to operate your own flight training unit (which I assume is the equivalent of a Part 141 school).

EDIT: Depending on what your article is on, you might consider mentioning the Canadian "class" system for instructors. From what I've heard, it seems like a better system because it's less focused on being cock-hard during the flight test, and more focused on making sure you're instructing properly under supervision from experienced instructors. On the other hand, it seems like a much more massive pain in the rear end for instructors who own their own plane and would like to work part-time.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
The FAA keeps records of how many certificates of each type are issued ( https://www.faa.gov/data_research/aviation_data_statistics/civil_airmen_statistics/ ), but I'm not aware of any published statistics that break down how many certificates are issued under part 141 versus 61.

It's possible that the FAA has that information but doesn't publish it for some reason, so you could try asking someone in Oklahoma City if those records exist anywhere.