Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Brian Eno AGW half speed master arrived today and some other recent acquisitions. Not a massive fan of Osibasa but I like the cover and it was £3

the smash disco record is absolutely loving awful until it turns into some funky proto techno track for about 3 minutes before resuming its awfulness

cookie monster is old but I just found it at my mum's after 10 years so it's new again!

sealed copy of cerrone and an adorable rap about the importance of voting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
I forgot the Brian Eno half-speed things got released, $34 bucks a pop? ehhhhh

A campus ministry group was doing their annual yard sale, so I bought like 12 LPs for $2 a pop on my way to my office yesterday morning. Probably the keepers for me:

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
^^^
Nice find on the Pere Ubu. Dub Housing is great.

Stopped at a yard sale today on a whim and came away with this for $50:

Weird Al in 3-D & Polka Party, Eno's Discrete Music, and Iggy Pop & David Bowie concert bootlegs

:stare: Holy poo poo

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Moai Ou posted:

^^^

Weird Al in 3-D & Polka Party, Eno's Discrete Music, and Iggy Pop & David Bowie concert bootlegs

Man, why can't I find these kind of yard sales?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Banano posted:

Brian Eno AGW half speed master arrived today and some other recent acquisitions. Not a massive fan of Osibasa but I like the cover and it was £3

the smash disco record is absolutely loving awful until it turns into some funky proto techno track for about 3 minutes before resuming its awfulness

cookie monster is old but I just found it at my mum's after 10 years so it's new again!

sealed copy of cerrone and an adorable rap about the importance of voting

lol Larry Levan did a mix for a Sesame Street record?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Mike_V posted:

lol Larry Levan did a mix for a Sesame Street record?

He did indeed and its pretty rad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-g8_p_1h_I

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Moai Ou posted:

^^^

Well done, hell of a yard sale there.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Discogs just blocked this from sale cause it had prices when you posted it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Boinks posted:

Discogs just blocked this from sale cause it had prices when you posted it.

Weird, I've never seen that. Do they not allow the sale of bootlegs?

And if so.... who's snitchin'?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

wa27 posted:

I've been (slowly) putting my records in to Discogs and noticed yesterday that my copy of Flower Travellin' Band also didn't have prices listed. Wonder if this is a new thing? I've definitely entered other bootlegs that were for sale at the time.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
[DIANA ROSS SLOWDOWN INTENSIFIES]

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Thank you for alerting me to this. I was wondering why OESB was RTing stuff about it today.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

wa27 posted:

they have been cracking down on selling bootlegs on the marketplace. it's a recent development. speculation seems to be because it is bad for their metrics e.g. their most expensive items lists https://www.discogs.com/user/discogs/lists?header=1

https://twitter.com/CliveParadigm/status/888141113080639488

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Apparently Discogs is moving to disallow any bootleg sales.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

That's incredibly lame.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
I assume bootlegs will still be listable, right?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Only as far as being able to add their info to the database, it seems. Some users are complaining that releases which have been marked as disallowed aren't showing up in their user-specific collection pages.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I don't have any bootleg LPs but I have a few CDs. That's pretty lame.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Ugh, that's dumb. I wonder if they'd stop stop sales on promo & demo discs too.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
There's a lot of bad apples in bootleg, the crazy video game poo poo where they rip a SNES rom for one. But there's also tons of material that only survives because of bootlegs, with no one interested in ever releasing it otherwise. Like those crazy Japanese compilations that source material from the only place this music's been released on: cassettes and Flexi discs and such. Bootlegs allow that poo poo to live on.

Now they're even taking bootlegs out of people's collections, completely invalidating the point of Discogs.

It is extremely lame.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm pretty sure it's perfectly legal to sell and own bootleg records in the US. Also, it's pretty loving stupid that they're barring poo poo that's 30 or 40 years old from being sold on the site. What's the point of this? It's not like stopping someone from selling an old Bowie concert pressed in the 70s is going to shut down some vast network of bootleggers.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CPL593H posted:

I'm pretty sure it's perfectly legal to sell and own bootleg records in the US. Also, it's pretty loving stupid that they're barring poo poo that's 30 or 40 years old from being sold on the site. What's the point of this? It's not like stopping someone from selling an old Bowie concert pressed in the 70s is going to shut down some vast network of bootleggers.

It's almost certainly not a question of legality but of the perception of the company. Previously they've banned the sale of politically objectionable records, not because they're illegal in the US but because it makes discogs as a company look bad if you can use their website to buy noise tapes about gassing the jews. This is probably similar - they don't want to be seen as a website where you can buy bootlegs.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Or catalog them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

A human heart posted:

It's almost certainly not a question of legality but of the perception of the company. Previously they've banned the sale of politically objectionable records, not because they're illegal in the US but because it makes discogs as a company look bad if you can use their website to buy noise tapes about gassing the jews. This is probably similar - they don't want to be seen as a website where you can buy bootlegs.

This is all kinds of stupid (The thing about bootlegs, not the first thing. I'm perfectly fine with them not allowing people to sell Skrewdrvier records.). The best argument against it is what Dissapointed Owl said about how a lot of music is only kept alive by bootleg and unofficial releases. This is going to make it a nightmare for people to get all kinds of niche releases.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CPL593H posted:

This is all kinds of stupid (The thing about bootlegs, not the first thing. I'm perfectly fine with them not allowing people to sell Skrewdrvier records.). The best argument against it is what Dissapointed Owl said about how a lot of music is only kept alive by bootleg and unofficial releases. This is going to make it a nightmare for people to get all kinds of niche releases.

I'm not saying it's good, I'm saying that discogs is a private company and so they're going to do stuff like this. They don't care about keeping old music alive or anything like that, they care about their profit margins.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

It's funny that Discogs puts all this effort into blocking old bootleg sales but they still won't fix band's release pages that are cluttered to gently caress with live 'bootleg' releases. See: Pearl Jam or Metallica.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I wonder if they're trying to scrub things up for a sale to some megacorp or whatever

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I finally found a turntable that will let me listen to four Stalinpussy tracks at once.

(Apparently this is what archive.org uses to digitize four tracks at the same time from an LP).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

A human heart posted:

I'm not saying it's good, I'm saying that discogs is a private company and so they're going to do stuff like this. They don't care about keeping old music alive or anything like that, they care about their profit margins.

I get that, but I don't understand how pissing off the users and offering less on the site is good for their profits.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Got the limited edition glow in the dark Abzu soundtrack.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

The Gay Blades finally released Savages on vinyl and it has a ridiculous and stupid and neat little soundboard in the sleeve

https://twitter.com/Kaboobi/status/895481672464048128

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Pingiivi posted:

Got the limited edition glow in the dark Abzu soundtrack.

come on then, let's see it

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Banano posted:

come on then, let's see it

I don't have the camera gear for long exposure photos. Basically the bright yellow highlights on the gatefold have glow in the dark ink on them. There are some examples on discogs: https://www.discogs.com/Austin-Wintory-Abzu-Soundtrack/release/10410025

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Peas and Rice posted:

I finally found a turntable that will let me listen to four Stalinpussy tracks at once.

(Apparently this is what archive.org uses to digitize four tracks at the same time from an LP).

based on the notes on all these uploads, https://archive.org/details/georgeblood it looks more like they're using that to digitize 1 track at a time with 4 different styluses.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

creme organization added a section to their webshop selling things banned from discogs https://global-darkness.myshopify.com/collections/banned-on-discogs

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

This discogs bootleg ban is so, so stupid.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

countdown to bootscogs?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I own a squeaky clean now. Highly recommended entry to the world of the vacuum vinyl cleaning method and the guy who makes them is great to work with. Even did me a solid and printed it up in Neon Green

Squeaky Clean

It's legit already performing miracles. My copy of Salyer - Reign in Blood has a horrible skip in the second chorus of Angel of Death. I tried for a long time to get it out with a spin clean and a brush, never could. One spin through the SQ and it was gone. The vinyl looked brand new (minus general usage scratches since it was a used record of thirty years age) and played great all the way through.

I'm genuinely excited about this thing and went out and bought a couple dirty used records just to see what it could really do.

Highly recommended

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
So you soak the record for a bit and then vacuum the junk off of it? Kind of a deconstructed vacuum powered cleaner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yes indeed. Works drat well too.