Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

I Was The Fury posted:

I've been feeling the need to take a vacation soon, and realized that I made that decision a bit too late for GenCon. Then I saw the posts about VlaadaCon coming up and though I am interested I am also too late for that this year. What are some other conventions based around tabletop gaming that I might want to look into? I am in California but can save up to travel across the US if needed

E: I would also accept recommendations to cool vacation places that also have a good gaming shop I could visit

The Los Angeles area has Game Empire in Pasadena and GameHaus boardgame cafe in Glendale. Along with a whole lot of other stuff, including the Museum of Broken Relationships :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

deadwing posted:

I only sleeve games when cards begin to show distinctive damage that is detrimental to gameplay. So, all that I've sleeved is The Resistance in opaque sleeves. 7 Wonders is up next, saw a bend on one of the cards last time we played. Played hundreds of games of Dominion and that's still gravy. If I only had one base set, it might be an issue, I had to retire the base set of money/VPs and replace it with the Intrigue ones. Buying a pack of Base Cards for 15 bucks in a couple of years sounds more appealing than sleeving 5000 cards.
Yeah I'd like to sleeve dominion just to make shuffling easier but it would take so long and I don't really want to make it take up even more storage space. I'm not worried about damage to the cards because any one stack doesn't get that much play, money and vp aside.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

I Was The Fury posted:

I've been feeling the need to take a vacation soon, and realized that I made that decision a bit too late for GenCon. Then I saw the posts about VlaadaCon coming up and though I am interested I am also too late for that this year. What are some other conventions based around tabletop gaming that I might want to look into? I am in California but can save up to travel across the US if needed

E: I would also accept recommendations to cool vacation places that also have a good gaming shop I could visit

Pax Unplugged?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bottom Liner posted:

Pax Unplugged?

Their website doesn't have much info on the event is there somewhere else that does or have they just not released much?

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Bottom Liner posted:

Pax Unplugged?

That actually looks like it's within my time frame, and if I'm stingy for the next couple months, also within my price range with enough spare cash to do some sightseeing on the way back!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Pax Unplugged?

Phil Eklund is a machine

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there a particular sleeving option for dominion people would suggest? Cheap as possible and small enough so they all still fit in the box?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

homullus posted:

Phil Eklund is a machine

:golfclap:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

:master:

Wish I had cool friends who would get this joke because they liked weird games that aren't mega-hits.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there a particular sleeving option for dominion people would suggest? Cheap as possible and small enough so they all still fit in the box?

I use the ultra pro penny sleeves and they're fine for Dominion.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I've been playing a bunch of Keyflower and Lewis & Clark on BGA, and while I like Keyflower, Lewis & Clark is EXTREMELY MY JAM.

I don't know that I'd classify it as a deckbuilder, though.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Received and played our first game of Flamme Rouge yesterday. 2 players with the learning course (no hills). 2 players is definitely the least exciting player count, and we're looking forward to trying it with a full 4 players, but we still really enjoyed it. The theme is absolutely spot-on; the decisions you're making about when to make a breakaway, when and how you can protect one of your riders etc. are satisfying for a game that's so light on rules. I went in protecting my sprinter, while my roleur took the brunt of the exhaustion cards. Geared up for a breakaway over the last few turns, while my opponent left it too late and got left behind - it felt really rewarding to see the gap grow. It's an instant hit for us and the perfect game to take home and teach to just about anyone. I was thinking after the game that it's almost like a reverse deckbuilder (I'm sure there is a better term and that this isn't a clever observation), it was very satisfying that protecting my sprinter kept my deck clean and efficient, so in the last few turns I was guaranteed to draw at least one 9-movement on every turn (because I had so few cards remaining).

I have a slight quibble that the rider minis can be a bit fiddly, and in moving them the riders sometimes fell off (which I feel like is a production error or maybe even just a problem with my copy), but it is a tiny annoyance. We were playing outside, so as it got dark it became a little difficult to immediately discern the sprinter/roleur, but in full light they're discernable enough.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 10, 2017

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I Was The Fury posted:

Come to Vlaa...oh. Dammit. :v:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

I Was The Fury posted:

If you're in the SF Bay Area, then there's EndGame in Oakland, Black Diamond in Concord, and Victory Point Cafe and Eudemonia in Berkeley (though Games of Berkeley doesn't do board game nights anymore).

If you're in Los Angeles, then yeah, the already mentioned Game Empire in Pasadena and GameHaus in Glendale. You could also go to Brookhurst Hobbies in Garden Grove is you're willing to go further.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Rad Valtar posted:

Their website doesn't have much info on the event is there somewhere else that does or have they just not released much?

They haven't released much. There was an email with the vendor list that went out today. It's only the first year for the con and for some reason they have been very quiet about advertising it.

I made a pax unplugged thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816165&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Toshimo posted:

I've been playing a bunch of Keyflower and Lewis & Clark on BGA, and while I like Keyflower, Lewis & Clark is EXTREMELY MY JAM.

I don't know that I'd classify it as a deckbuilder, though.

Any strategy tips for Lewis & Clark? I have a hard time wrapping my mind around that game.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Lump Shaker posted:

Any strategy tips for Lewis & Clark? I have a hard time wrapping my mind around that game.

There's a weird strategy where you abuse the fact that there is a limit to backward movement, park at the end, tech up, and race down the river. Some even think it is a dominant strategy. See: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1138777/can-hang-back-and-tech-strategy-be-beaten

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

werdnam posted:

There's a weird strategy where you abuse the fact that there is a limit to backward movement, park at the end, tech up, and race down the river. Some even think it is a dominant strategy. See: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1138777/can-hang-back-and-tech-strategy-be-beaten

This strategy has been errata'd out, if you're on the last spot of the river when setting up camp, you discard all your resources, workers, and cards.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

werdnam posted:

This was corrected in the official FAQ with the following errata:

quote:

Official errata about the rules

If your scout is on the first spot of the route (5 steps downstream from St Louis) at the end of the encampment phase :
1- Discard all the Encountered Characters you have recruited since the beginning of the game. (you just keep in hand your 6 starting Characters).
2- Discard all the resources and Indians you have.

https://www.ludonaute.fr/portfolio/lewis-clark/?lang=en

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

We retired our first character in Gloomhaven last night, my Scoundrel. I get to start next game with the first of our unlocked classes, which is represented with a Sun. I'm super excited about new classes, and still loving everything about the game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

homullus posted:

I sleeve Monopoly money

Lol if you don't replace all board game paper money's with poker chips.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Rutibex posted:

Lol if you don't replace all board game paper money's with poker chips.

And then sleeve the chips.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Quad sleeved Magic deck.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
You should sleeve that sub

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm interested in getting a campaign style adventure game for 3-4 players including myself. Based on what I can find, the frontrunners include:

Star Wars: Imperial Assault
Descent v2
Gloomhaven (if I want to wait until September or later)

SW:IA is basically the mechanics of Descent reskinned, right? I don't really have any hardcore affection for Star Wars but if the game is great I'm cool with it.

Does Mage Knight fall under this umbrella? Am I missing other games to explore?

I have no interest in Pandemic Legacy. I've played it twice and am not into the game mechanics very much.

Separately, I've just discovered the existence of these Adventure LCGs. I'd like to explore one with my wife, who is pretty casual. I play MTG pretty competitively so I don't think I'd have a steep learning curve. I think Pathfinder looks pretty fun and not too hard to grok, and has a campaign aspect, whereas LOTR LCG looks like it's pretty module based. Thoughts on these?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ShaneB posted:

Does Mage Knight fall under this umbrella? Am I missing other games to explore?

Yes, Mage Knight is technically all genres of board game at once.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
So Steamforged announced they're following up they're Dark Souls Board Game with a Dark Souls Card Game. Wonder if it addresses any of the major issues the board game has. Curiosity piqued.

Merauder fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 10, 2017

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Cause why not remind people:

VlaadaCon, a one day board game convention devoted to that god of designers Vlaada Chvatil, is this Saturday in Holliston, MA! http://www.vlaadacon.org/

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Can't wait for Dark Souls Munchkin, Dark Souls Love Letter, and Dark Souls-opoly

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ShaneB posted:

I'm interested in getting a campaign style adventure game for 3-4 players including myself. Based on what I can find, the frontrunners include:

Descent v2

SW:IA is basically the mechanics of Descent reskinned, right? I don't really have any hardcore affection for Star Wars but if the game is great I'm cool with it.

I just discovered these games existed like a month ago and pretty much immediately dropped a bunch of money on Descent and expect to do so with Gloomhaven fairly soon too.

A few things I discovered about Descent as part of that, to be aware of:

Descent is fun, but has two play modes: adversarial (with one player playing an Overlord who controls all the monsters, and who is NOT a DM, vs up to 4 other people playing a party of adventurers) and co-op (with an app for android/mac/Steam filling in the role of Overlord, so max of four players). The game has rules for 2-4 party members but balance is best at 4 party members so if you play with fewer have someone control an extra dude.

If you play using the app, you will want to run it on either a large tablet or, like, chromecast it from your phone to a TV or something -- it's theoretically playable from a phone but the experience is painful (I've been using a Surface Book).

One thing I wasn't expecting is how much of Descent is partitioned out over expansion boxes. Like the base game comes with eight characters, eight classes, a bunch of monsters and dungeon tiles, but it's *not* everything. If you want to have a chance of finding a secret room in your dungeons, you need to buy one of the separate expansions that has secret room cards and tiles. If you want to play dual-class characters, you have to buy the expansion that has the cards and rules for dual-classing. The game is complex enough that this isn't really a problem -- you want to play the base game first, then add in each expansion sequentially as you learn the rules etc -- but it's something to be aware of. Once you have multiple expansions they do integrate fairly well and add a lot of replayability to each other, the parts are designed to mesh with each other.

They also sell the figurines for the "Boss" monsters separately (they're represented by cardboard tokens if you play with just the standard sets by themselves), so while your PC's and most monsters will be figurines (and pretty cool figurines), the bosses are just tokens unless you shell out $8-$14 list price for the additional Boss figurines. Importantly, a lot of those boss figurines, especially for the base game set, and some of the expansion sets, are currently out of print (FFG has ordered more reprints, but that's taking time). So if you want to (for example) buy the figurine of Splig, the boss goblin monster in the tutorial adventure on the app, you're stuck either using the dinky cardboard token, waiting a few months for the reprint to come out, or paying upwards of $50 on ebay to get it quickly.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 10, 2017

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ShaneB posted:

There are some subtle but important differences between Descent and Imperial Assault. In particular, "kill 'em all" is often a viable strategy for the players in Descent but almost never works in Imperial Assault. In the latter, it's much more a race against time as the players have to hurry through to complete their objectives before getting overwhelmed by Stormtroopers. Also the fact that almost everyone on both sides in IA has a blaster changes the combat dynamics quite a bit. In Descent, blocking a door with your team's best melee fighter means he gets to fight the incoming monsters one at a time unless there's a comparatively rare archer or spellslinger in the back of the pack. In IA it means all the Stormtroopers blow him away firing squad style. That sort of thing.

But yes, broadly they are very similar games and if you've a strong preference for Generic Fantasy or Star Wars, pick that one.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Merauder posted:

So Steamforged announced they're following up they're Dark Souls Board Game with a Dark Souls Card Game. Wonder if it addresses any of the major issues the board game has. Curiosity piqued.

What were the problems with the board game, out of curiosity? My brother brought it up the other day and asked if I knew anything about it, but Dark Souls has never really done it for me.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FunkMonkey posted:

What were the problems with the board game, out of curiosity? My brother brought it up the other day and asked if I knew anything about it, but Dark Souls has never really done it for me.

The stuff a videogame does better was tried in a board game medium. So the exploration comes off as merely replayable rooms with variable setup and the memorization and twitch skills the games are known for comes down to memorization. The tension you have from playing against bosses in the videogames doesn't translate well unless you have a space alert-style time pressure track that fucks with you. A reviewer said it best:
"Also interesting to note is that the sparks actually reduce tension because the only thing to fear about death isn’t failure, but an increase in the amount of time it takes to play the game."

(had that last quote ready because a friend asked about it earlier this week lol)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

Descent v2

Both SW:IA and Descent are made to sucker you otu fo your money by buying add ons from what I researched. Gloomhaven will offer significantly more missions in the base game, in fact it will nor have expansions, so the base game price ~120 USD IIRC will be the total.
You can and have to invest significantly more in the others if you want more missions.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A few things I discovered about Descent as part of that, to be aware of:

jng2058 posted:

There are some subtle but important differences between Descent and Imperial Assault.

Thanks for these thoughts.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Hopper posted:

Both SW:IA and Descent are made to sucker you otu fo your money by buying add ons from what I researched. Gloomhaven will offer significantly more missions in the base game, in fact it will nor have expansions, so the base game price ~120 USD IIRC will be the total.
You can and have to invest significantly more in the others if you want more missions.

So basically I should just preorder Gloomhaven now and play normal games with my friends until it arrives.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ShaneB posted:

So basically I should just preorder Gloomhaven now and play normal games with my friends until it arrives.

If you just want a nice dungeon crawling/tight RPG experience, yes. The minis are nice for IA, especially the ATST and Rancor, but you're paying skirmish minis prices for them.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Descent v2

We got some fun out of IA... but we'd never consider playing it again after playing Gloomhaven. Gloomhaven really works fully co-op (with the well done monster AI decks - IA has no app yet, and it's miserable to play Empire because the game is balanced HARD against you once rebels figure out what they're doing), has interesting decisions most every turn (because you're picking from cards rather than "strain-move, shoot, move", repeat forever), and has interesting decisions as characters progress and you choose missions (you develop your characters in much more interesting ways than IA).

Also, it has an absolutely absurd amount of content in the box.

quote:

, in fact it will nor have expansions, so the base game price ~120 USD IIRC will be the total.

Gloomhaven will almost certainly get an expansion. But from a "normal game" perspective, that expansion will be expansions 9-14, with the main box including 1-8. And that may be an understatement.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

jmzero posted:

Gloomhaven will almost certainly get an expansion. But from a "normal game" perspective, that expansion will be expansions 9-14, with the main box including 1-8. And that may be an understatement.

Yeah, pretty sure he said that his next project after Founders would be a gloomhaven expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

ShaneB posted:

I'm interested in getting a campaign style adventure game for 3-4 players including myself.

Does Mage Knight fall under this umbrella?

For the record, no. Mage Knight is a single-session game, though the sessions can run very long. There is no persistence between individual games. It's an amazing game, but not what you're asking after.

As for campaign, The 7th Continent just released to Kickstarter backers, if you wanna chase it down on eBay. (Retail release is uncertain right now.) It's a short campaign Choose Your Own Adventure-style exploration game with survival and crafting elements. You're 19th century explorers, stranded on terra incognita with nothing but the clothes on your back, an empty stomach, and one of several deadly curses bearing down on you. Each curse comes with its own vague clues or sketchy maps pointing towards your possible salvation. Good luck.

No idea if it's worth a drat. I just got my copy yesterday. But you asked.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 11, 2017