Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey I need help remembering... was it Daario that used the "throw a dagger at a horseman" trick in the earlier seasons, with successful results?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Sansa is trying to find some kind of stable rock to cling to in the crumbling world around her. She already lost her childish innocence long ago, two of her brothers are dead, her bastard brother is (in her view) making the same mistakes as their father, and her remaining true-born brother is not really himself anymore. In walks Arya, looking mostly the same, and she believes that at least she can have her little sister back. Then she realizes Arya has a kill list, that Arya might already have killed people on her list, and Arya is now able to fight well enough to kill people. It's not really her sister anymore, at least not the sister she hoped she could get back.

Random book chat: Being able to read Arya's thoughts in the book do a good job of showing how hosed up she is. While training with the Faceless Men she literally kills people because someone told her to, she basically stops even pretending to make up reasons why the killing is justified. Juxtapose that with when she first kills that stable boy in season 1 and she is devastated at what happened.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Away all Goats posted:

Someone pointed out to me that Bran's direwolf dies in the cave under the tree, the same place Meera says Bran 'died' at :aaa:

Rickon and Direwolf - Killed as a symbol by the Boltons.
Arya and Direwolf - Turned their back on their name and allegiance to carve their own path.
Bran and Direwolf - Entered through the cave, and "died" within that same cave.
Sansa and Direwolf - Offered up as tribute to the Lannisters.
Robb and Direwolf - Killed and dismembered in betrayal by their own people.

That's 5 for 5 on symbols so far, so I'm guessing Ghost is going to get hitched to Drogon and gnaw on the iron bone.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Hey I need help remembering... was it Daario that used the "throw a dagger at a horseman" trick in the earlier seasons, with successful results?

Yes. He kills the Champion of Mereen's horse with a thrown dagger, then the Champion once he is thrown.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

The Bee posted:

Arya and Direwolf - Turned their back on their name and allegiance to carve their own path.

That's 5 for 5 on symbols so far, so I'm guessing Ghost is going to get hitched to Drogon and gnaw on the iron bone.

This is some poo poo right here.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Drogon is gonna die to a wound that seems non-lethal. Rhaegal is gonna get smacked with a warhammer. Viserion is gonna die a bitch.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Yes because she'd be so much more effective with a weapon that's bigger than she is
look does she want to style herself after her father or not

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

business hammocks posted:

Meera doesn't know how lucky she is to get safely written out of the show. She and Salladhor San are going to party so hard when the credits roll at the end of next season, after Gendry's heroic sacrifice.

Speaking of Salladhor Saan I can't believe I forgot this when we were talking favorite dialogue from the series.

That seems so long ago now...

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Tyrion is a shell of himself in character as well, so his change hasn't bothered me. After he shot his father and bailed, he's been increasingly like that. Maybe it's not on purpose but him being a little less sarcastic when facing the situations at hand, like burning down his own family, I'm OK with.

Varys isn't really off, in my opinion. The fact he kindly suggested that a Red Priestess should kindly GTFO and not come back cured my one problem with his character, that he should not like a red priest(ess).

Littlefinger though... Littlefinger I don't get. Every move he's made this season has directly undermined him and everyone's giving him the "You gonna die" stink eye in Winterfell. They hosed him all up at this point.

ED: Calling it now, Bran reveals Littlefinger's part in the war and then he's murdered by Starks.

Littlefinger painted himself into a corner; he has no one left to do his dirty work or manipulate.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Red posted:

Littlefinger painted himself into a corner; he has no one left to do his dirty work or manipulate.

I also think he has to be worried about the North gearing up to fight whatever is beyond the wall. The fact that its not some silly myth, and is heading his way probably gives him a little pause. One wrong move and he could be waking up as an undead minion. Whatever the plan is to climb his chaos ladder is going to have to wait until the threat north of the wall is neutralized.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

The Bee posted:

Ghost, all white fur, like Targaryens have white hair.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ghost is all white because he's literally Jon's ghost while Jon is hanging out on a slab for a few days.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

HoneyBoy posted:

"Someone took her away from me, and seven kingdoms couldn't fill the hole she left behind"

I don't know if that was in the books or what but it was a drat good display of acting and writing. Mark Addy was a master and season 1 remains my favorite because of it.

As to the show's writing in recent years, it feels hamfisted and lazy, stuff like Lysa straight up saying "REMEMBER YOU TOLD ME TO POISON JON'S WINE, MY HUSBAND'S WINE" practically spoonfeeding the audience, or other silly stuff like actually writing "KILL THE MASTERS" in clear english on the walls. There's lots more examples but I'm not really watching the show for good writing anymore.

Unzip and Attack posted:

The best dialogue scene of the series was Robert and Cersei finally sharing their deepest feelings/regrets. It was proof that the show can be more than the novels, with the right actors reading the right lines.

This scene, from season one, will always be among my favorites. The two most powerful people in the seven kingdom being frank with their feelings towards each other.

quote:

Cersei Lannister: [teasing] I'm sorry your marriage to Ned Stark didn't work out. You seemed so good together.
Robert Baratheon: [dryly] I'm glad I could do something to make you happy.
Cersei Lannister: Without a Hand, everything will fall to pieces.
Robert Baratheon: I suppose this is where you tell me to give the job to your brother Jaime.
Cersei Lannister: He's not serious enough. I'll say this for Ned Stark: he's serious enough. Was it really worth it? Losing him this way?
[Robert places the cup on the table and stands]
Robert Baratheon: I don't know. But I do know this: If the Targaryen girl convinces her horselord husband to invade and the Dothraki horde crosses the Narrow Sea... we won't be able to stop them.
Cersei Lannister: The Dothraki don't sail. Every child knows that. They don't have discipline, they don't have armor, they don't have siege weapons.
Robert Baratheon: It's a neat little trick you do: you move your lips, and your father's voice comes out.
Cersei Lannister: Is my father wrong?
Robert Baratheon: Let's say Viserys Targaryen lands with 40,000 Dothraki screamers at his back. We hole up in our castles. A wise move. Only a fool would meet the Dothraki in an open field. They leave us in our castles. They go from town to town, looting and burning, killing every man who can't hide behind a stone wall, stealing all our crops and livestock, enslaving all our women and children. How long do the people of the Seven Kingdoms stand behind their absentee king, their cowardly king hiding behind high walls? When do the people decide that Viserys Targaryen is the rightful monarch after all?
Cersei Lannister: [pours herself wine and sits] We still outnumber them.
Robert Baratheon: Which is the bigger number, five or one?
Cersei Lannister: Five.
Robert Baratheon: [holds up his left fingers] Five...
Robert Baratheon: [clutches his right fist] ... one. One army, a real army, united behind one leader with one purpose. Our purpose died with the Mad King.
[Robert pours himself wine]
Robert Baratheon: Now we've got as many armies as there are men with gold in their purse, and everybody wants something different: your father wants to own the world. Ned Stark wants to run away and bury his head in the snow.
Cersei Lannister: What do you want?
Robert Baratheon: [drinks and sits] We haven't had a real fight in nine years. Back-stabbing doesn't prepare you for a fight. And that's all the realm is now: back-stabbing and scheming and arse-licking and money-rubbing. Sometimes I don't know what holds it together.
Cersei Lannister: Our marriage.
[Robert stares at Cersei, then bursts out laughing. Cersei joins his laughter]

Robert Baratheon: So here we sit, seventeen years later, holding it all together. Don't you get tired?
Cersei Lannister: Every day.
Robert Baratheon: How long can hate hold a thing together?
Cersei Lannister: Seventeen years is quite a long time.
Robert Baratheon: Yes, it is.
Cersei Lannister: Yes, it is.
[they drink from their cups]
Cersei Lannister: What was she like?
Robert Baratheon: [slightly puzzled] You've never asked about her, not once. Why now?
Cersei Lannister: At first, just saying her name even in private felt like I was breathing life back into her. I thought if I didn't talk about her, she'd just fade away for you. When I realized that wasn't going to happen, I refused to ask out of spite. I didn't want to give you the satisfaction of thinking I cared enough to ask. And eventually it became clear that my spite didn't mean anything to you. As far as I could tell, you actually enjoyed it.
Robert Baratheon: So why now?
Cersei Lannister: What harm could Lyanna Stark's ghost do to either of us that we haven't done to each other a hundred times over?
Robert Baratheon: [leans forward] You want to know the horrible truth? I can't even remember what she looked like. I only know she was the one thing I ever wanted... someone took her away from me, and seven kingdoms couldn't fill the hole she left behind.
Cersei Lannister: I felt something for you once, you know?
Robert Baratheon: [lowers his gaze] I know.
Cersei Lannister: Even after we lost our first boy. For quite a while, actually. Was it ever possible for us? Was there ever a time, ever a moment?
Robert Baratheon: [hesitates before answering] No.
[Cersei drinks from her cup]
Robert Baratheon: Does that make you feel better or worse?
Cersei Lannister: It doesn't make me feel anything.

[Cersei places her cup on the table, stands and leaves]

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

RE: dialog

twistedmentat posted:

I still really enjoyed the Arya and Tywin's scenes from season 2.

He stole basically every scene he was in. Amazing actor. Perfect casting.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

CornHolio posted:

This scene, from season one, will always be among my favorites. The two most powerful people in the seven kingdom being frank with their feelings towards each other.

Mark Addy really was inspired casting. With all his history of dodgy comedies I'd never have believed he could put in a performance as powerful as he did.

"King Robert Baratheon. Murdered by a pig!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdIpHhmdweY

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Apparently Addy worked real hard to get the part.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I feel like this season has suffered from a serious lack of pacing so far. Part of the fun of GoT is the build up and anticipation for big events, but so far everything has just been so rushed it feels like nothing going on has any gravity.

Also dragon stone is loving boooooooorrrrrring

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Entropy238 posted:

I feel like this season has suffered from a serious lack of pacing so far. Part of the fun of GoT is the build up and anticipation for big events, but so far everything has just been so rushed it feels like nothing going on has any gravity.

The way I see the last six seasons has been building up to this season's big events.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
With the show approaching its last season, what would be considered a satisfying conclusion? Or at least an ending that don't piss off everyone.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Entropy238 posted:

Also dragon stone is loving boooooooorrrrrring

"You've taken my boat! I guess I'll be stuck here for 3-4 episodes while all the interesting stuff happens somewhere else."

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

The final shot of the series finale is going to be White Walkers still slowly marching south towards the wall

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Red posted:

Doesn't stop him from having reaction shots where he has an obviously shady smirk on his face.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Personal_Nirvana posted:

With the show approaching its last season, what would be considered a satisfying conclusion? Or at least an ending that don't piss off everyone.

if it involves dragons and magic dead guys i like it

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Firstborn posted:

Doesn't stop him from having reaction shots where he has an obviously shady smirk on his face.
Yeah, that's getting annoying. I wish Arya would just shank him already.

Or Sansa should lure him to the top of the broken tower, then shove him off and shout "where's your loving ladder now?!" at him as he falls.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Obviously the penultimate episode should be the final big expensive battle, full of action and drama, but the final one should really sell the idea that things are returning some semblance of normalcy; that life will go on. And what better way to show that life will go on than just repeated scenes of people making babies - sexpositioned by Bran, the magical peeping tom.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I don't know what a satisfying conclusion to this looks like but I know that the lamest possible thing would be for the wars to wrap up just in time for Jon and Dany to team up and fight the white walkers.

The one thing I've been looking forward to the most for years with this story has been seeing all the big complex political drama turn to total chaos as everyone involved is suddenly faced with an external, existential threat. I want to see Cersei still stabbing people in the back and choosing to protect her position and family while a loving undead horde marches through her allies' kingdoms. I want to see how Littlefinger tries to take advantage of some real chaos that he could never have predicted. I want to see which houses would put aside all the horrible poo poo that they've done to each other, which wouldn't, which ones just pack up and sail to Essos.

I'm a bit worried that we're never gonna see any of that because so many of the interesting characters have died and all of the power has basically been consolidated into two teams at this point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I don't know what a satisfying conclusion to this looks like but I know that the lamest possible thing would be for the wars to wrap up just in time for Jon and Dany to team up and fight the white walkers.

Bad news buddy.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The lamest thing possible would be for them to end it with the thing they've been building towards for 6 years. Got it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Personal_Nirvana posted:

I just want everyone dead except for Gendry rowing in a circle.

Game of Oars, solitaire edition.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Nah, the thing they seemed to be building toward was seeing what would happen if you introduced an existential fantasy threat into a realistic world where people are lovely and selfish and hate each other, instead of one where everyone is inspired by a great hero to put aside their differences to fight the bad guy.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
whats the deal with littlefingers gravelly batman voice? its so obviously forced and bad and its annoyed me to no end for the entirety of the show

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

fridge corn posted:

whats the deal with littlefingers gravelly batman voice? its so obviously forced and bad and its annoyed me to no end for the entirety of the show
Littlefinger is an rear end.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Littlefinger is actually mute and hasn't really gotten the hang out his magic voice powers

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Personal_Nirvana posted:

White walkers get burned by dragons, most of the main characters die.

Actual satisfying ending: Podrick becomes king like some kind of King Arthur fable. :cheeky:

Fellatio del Toro posted:

This is unarguably where the show is going dude, so sorry.

But if you want to feel better, its probably not going to be that simple. Azor Ahai requires sacrifice. I think Danny is probably going to end up killing Jon Snow in order to create the dawnbringer sword or whatever. So that'll be exciting.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

But if you want to feel better, its probably not going to be that simple. Azor Ahai requires sacrifice. I think Danny is probably going to end up killing Jon Snow in order to create the dawnbringer sword or whatever. So that'll be exciting.
It'll actually be Jaime killing his lover, Cersei.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Obviously the penultimate episode should be the final big expensive battle, full of action and drama, but the final one should really sell the idea that things are returning some semblance of normalcy; that life will go on. And what better way to show that life will go on than just repeated scenes of people making babies - sexpositioned by Bran, the magical peeping tom.

Bran breaks the fourth wall, introducing himself to the audience and encouraging viewers to take a good look at all the bouncing titties and to enjoy his brother's naked rear end. Then he clarifies that Jon is really his cousin and not his brother because he's a Targaryen. Then he tells everyone that his sister's about to do full frontal. Credits.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I don't really think there's a particularly good way to end the show.

Edit: I take it back:

Raxivace posted:

I think the show will end with Bran saying "Finally this game of thrones...is over".

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 10, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It'll actually be Jaime killing his lover, Cersei.

Nah that's gonna happen too but has gently caress-all to do with Azor Ahai.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think the show will end with Bran saying "Finally this game of thrones...is over".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dany already has Lightbringer. ;)

• Locked thread